United’s next manager

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
At Juventus,it’s very hard to say how much of an influence the manager has on signing players.But to answer your second question he was actually criticised towards the end of his reign for not giving more opportunities to young players...Juve fans wanted to see more of Moise Kean,Leonardo Spinazzola,Rodrigo bentacur etc..,But to be fair it’s hard to give lots of game time to younger players at Juve cause they have such a fantastic squad...

I think he’s a fantastic manager and if we can’t get Pochettino,I would give him the job...
On other hand Juve boss their league season after season so giving young players chances is maybe also easier there?

SirAF

Ageist
I mean, Brighton's manager is probably better than Ole so better than rock bottom shouldn't really be our criteria. Every wrong appointment sets us further back.
Fair point.

All that said, the most important thing is the structure behind the manager (which I fear is not going to change for a while). However, it’s important to hire a competent coach.

In Rainbows

We need both. And to be honest I referring more to 21-26 year olds. Liverpool and City have signed plenty of those. You don't really need to go for 28-32 year olds to get quality peformances. Short cuts to success and stop gaps willcontinue to fail.
Yep. It's important to develop the young players, which will in turn make it easier to sign the best foreign youth around. It's the reason why Dembele and Sancho went to Dortmund. Build up the reputation to develop kids and you become a more attractive destination for these mega talents. Also, important to develop youth players because they save money with regards to squad options, which then allows United to focus their money on quality elsewhere, rather than quantity.

We need both. Heck, as big of a fan as I am with Gomes and Garner, I still wanted United to strengthen in midfield to compete right now. Focus on quality first, then whatever squad spots aren't picked up by the youngsters, buy those remaining squad options.

Patience

I mean, Brighton's manager is probably better than Ole so better than rock bottom shouldn't really be our criteria. Every wrong appointment sets us further back.

No. Every sacking sets us further back.

We will only improve once we have a manager who is allowed to impose his plans and identity and philosophy over many a season.

Madzik_92

We will only improve once we have a manager who is allowed to impose his plans and identity and philosophy over many a season.
Haha i know you're not a United fan. Just admit it that you love to see United struggle eh? A true United fans know that Ole is not a good manager.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sir Scott McToMinay

Nah, doesn’t work that way.
You’re given time if you deliver results to a certain standard.
A manager won’t come good just by being given time and a manager who isn’t good enough won’t be given time.

You have to deliver results at clubs of this level, we’re not in the 1980’s, there’s way too much money involved.

amolbhatia50k

Good one. Sacking an incompetent manager is the real problem :lol:

A manager gets "many seasons" when he earns it.

In Rainbows

Please recommend me to Woodward. On the .00000000000000000001% chance he hires me, I'll be incompetent, and you would still back me 100% because time is the cure to solving our problems.

ILC

Reports from Italy saying Allegri's already in serious negotiations with Woodward and has 7.5m€ net on the table to become the next manager. Not the most reliable source (Tuttosport), but they've been first on Ronaldo to Juve story and in general there's too much smoke in this Allegri-United thing.

http://sportwitness.co.uk/manager-now-close-manchester-united-concrete-negotiation-taking-place/

Also this: http://sportwitness.co.uk/manager-j...e-continues-to-be-linked-with-man-united-job/

He was asked yesterday in Poland at a conference about United rumors. He just joked about his English level. Not exactly a denial.

This is the original link to everything he said during the AEFC in Warszawa yesterday: https://www.przegladsportowy.pl/pil...jciechu-szczesnym-or-reportaz-tomasza/3nywt24

Put it in google translate, it's very easy to understand. Allegri goes into amazing detail on his philosophy, mental approach, how he coaches etc. Excellent read.
This got piled up on the back page while waiting mod approval. Give it a read, excellent insight.

Chaky_Best

Supports 'a joke of a club'.
Easy fix : Allegri, will bring authority, calm and work ethic to this team. We willl not play good football, will probably ask for 8 new players. Actually another short terms fix

Logical choice : Poch. If Poch is sacked or leaves this summer, I would love to sign him. Give him money and he will for sure make us play good football and improve our squad. Once again, issue is, what do we do until then ?

Amir

Brilliant, thank you.

So maybe that is one of the things that appeals to Poch about United, he'd definitely have more control. I still don't think that is the correct way for us.
I don't think there's a correct way, really. How good the people you have is more important. If you have a top manager, you can allow for him to build the structure he wants around him. A manager wishing to have control doesn't mean he wants to do everything by himself, but he can decide what he should do and what he should leave to others.

Mainoldo

We need both. And to be honest I referring more to 21-26 year olds. Liverpool and City have signed plenty of those. You don't really need to go for 28-32 year olds to get quality peformances. Short cuts to success and stop gaps willcontinue to fail.
That’s fine but you mentioned Mourinho and he signed players of those ages.. mostly. All we require is a manager who gets the best of his group of players right now.

Mainoldo

Yep. It's important to develop the young players, which will in turn make it easier to sign the best foreign youth around. It's the reason why Dembele and Sancho went to Dortmund. Build up the reputation to develop kids and you become a more attractive destination for these mega talents. Also, important to develop youth players because they save money with regards to squad options, which then allows United to focus their money on quality elsewhere, rather than quantity.

We need both. Heck, as big of a fan as I am with Gomes and Garner, I still wanted United to strengthen in midfield to compete right now. Focus on quality first, then whatever squad spots aren't picked up by the youngsters, buy those remaining squad options.
Do we want to be Dortmund or Barca. That’s what you have to ask yourself. Last time I’ve checked we’ve always been Barca. After C.Ronaldo which is one player. Which player have we actually developed in 15 years?

In Rainbows

Do we want to be Dortmund or Barca. That’s what you have to ask yourself. Last time I’ve checked we’ve always been Barca. After C.Ronaldo which is one player. Which player have we actually developed in 15 years?
We're talking rebuild. If we were close to the top, then I would agree with you, but investing in our young players' development could allow us to spend more on quality down the line. That's not to say United shouldn't spend money right now. We should. However, just like everyone says on this forum we're not all that attractive right now so a key part of this rebuild is developing youngsters so we can get the next big star. It's a multi layered approach.

In Rainbows

You aren't better than Ole.
So you agree with me then. We give people time based on their competence, thus it's nonsense to conclude that time should be given just because. Everyone who is arguing against Ole, does so based on this principle and the evidence Ole has provided to us in his short managerial career.

mu4c_20le

So you agree with me then. We give people time based on their competence, thus it's nonsense to conclude that time should be given just because. Everyone who is arguing against Ole, does so based on this principle and the evidence Ole has provided to us in his short managerial career.
It's less about whether or not he should go but more about the fact that we'd be worse off if we handed the reins to Carrick. It's more about the fact that things can actually get worse, because as poor as Ole's results have been, at least he isnt toxic like Jose, so there isn't as much of an urgency to sack him asap. I dont think there are any top managers who would come in in the middle of our mess anyways.

romufc

It's less about whether or not he should go but more about the fact that we'd be worse off if we handed the reins to Carrick. It's more about the fact that things can actually get worse, because as poor as Ole's results have been, at least he isnt toxic like Jose, so there isn't as much of an urgency to sack him asap. I dont think there are any top managers who would come in in the middle of our mess anyways.
When a team struggles this badly, a humiliating result on Sunday and it wont be long before it becomes toxic because reports will come out of players falling out with each other, bust ups etc. Players who are not playing will start moaning because the team is not doing well and they don't know why they are not getting a chance.

Mainoldo

We're talking rebuild. If we were close to the top, then I would agree with you, but investing in our young players' development could allow us to spend more on quality down the line. That's not to say United shouldn't spend money right now. We should. However, just like everyone says on this forum we're not all that attractive right now so a key part of this rebuild is developing youngsters so we can get the next big star. It's a multi layered approach.
I understand what you mean and it makes sense. However we have to be real. We aren’t set up that way.. a good example would be Atletico Madrid’s rise. For those things we don’t need a transfer committee we need a director of football. So we can get a coach to bring up the Sergio Aguero’s and a board to sign the Falcao’s.

Right now we are trying b-tech coaches expecting them to get top performance out of players like Daniel James and targets such as Declain Rice. It’s all backwards.

Until above is sorted let’s stick to a high level manager with money to invest in high calibre players. Believe me they will still come based on the name and the pay check. We have to utilise it whilst we still can.

TRUERED89

The conditions are no top 4 then no job, Ole will be no different regardless of what PR the club is spouting.

amolbhatia50k

What like Busby. Or Ferguson?

Who's results at the same stage as Ole is at now were actually worse?
Or a thousand rubbish managers. The idea that we should give every manager 5 years - even bang average ones - JUST BECAUSE SAF AND BUSBY - is devoid of any logic and common sense.

Revaulx

What like Busby. Or Ferguson?

Who's results at the same stage as Ole is at now were actually worse?
Dunno about Busby as he was before my time. Are you suggesting that we will finish second with Ole this season? That’s what Ferguson managed in his first full season.

TRUERED89

Dunno about Busby as he was before my time. Are you suggesting that we will finish second with Ole this season? That’s what Ferguson managed in his first full season.
Then finished 11th and 13th, not the best example to use imo.

Nikelesh Reddy

On other hand Juve boss their league season after season so giving young players chances is maybe also easier there?
Yeah,that’s another way of looking at things...But Apart from Pochettino there is no other manager who’s a better fit for the club than Allegri...We can’t find a manager who’s going to tick every single box.Pochettino hasn’t won a trophy so far in his managerial career,so even he doesn’t tick every box that we are looking for....

Revaulx

Then finished 11th and 13th, not the best example to use imo.
Indeed.

The 11th season (88/89) was incredibly frustrating, but that was because we were incredibly inconsistent rather than full-on shite. A really good performance would be followed by one or two awful ones. At least the good performances gave us a glimpse into a better world.

Fussball13251

I still think Erik ten Hag we be great if we could get him. Very tactically astute. Could be the next Pep. But if I am being honest you can't pin all of the blame on Ole... I mean players can't even control the ball out there.

When you compare United to other teams it's like as if the other teams have superior training facilitates or something.

Last edited:

Moiraine

Whoever United have in mind for succeeding OGS, when approaches the potential candidate and suggest the opportunity to him, MUST speak in clear English.

At least he will understand that he is being offered the job of Man United.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Whoever United have in mind for succeeding OGS, when approaches the potential candidate and suggest the opportunity to him, MUST speak in clear English.

At least he will understand that he is being offered the job of Man United.
Absolutely - Pep thought that SAF was offering to buy his 'Nan a new nightie'.

serxyo

Said it before Ole’s appointment, say it again: Marco Rose.
Underrated comment. He’s a top manager. Proved it with Salzburg youth, should’ve been in Europa League final with senior team, but wasn’t lucky enough. Even though he lost 3 pretty important players he’s on top of the table in Bundesliga.

Fussball13251

Anyways Donny van de Beek and Hakim Ziyech. Two good signings. Current squad needs depth.

2 players that would make a huge difference to the team. Will cost alot of money but hey...

Bear minimum... 2 very good signings in January

Last edited:

Cloud7

So it seems like the club might do the sensible thing for once and not wait until the season is beyond salvaging to do what needs to be done. It’s almost too good to believe.

Shark

@NotShark
So it seems like the club might do the sensible thing for once and not wait until the season is beyond salvaging to do what needs to be done. It’s almost too good to believe.
Based on what? Have a feeling he’ll still be here if we get humiliated 3/4-0 at home to the dippers. We will suffer as we have every other managerial tenure since SAF’s retirement, as apparently we don’t deserve any better.

Tel074

I'd be against sacking Ole until the season is over. From there we'll just have to assess our options. It's sad but this season already feels like a Moyes repeat or worse and I blame it on Ed and the board not on Ole. I go back to the summer and look at our net spend and lack of recruitment for the midfield and forward positions and it just makes me angry at the planning of this club.
I agree with this . I don't think Ole will be sacked and even if he was then who the hell will be able to do much more with that piss poor squad .

Cloud7

Based on what? Have a feeling he’ll still be here if we get humiliated 3/4-0 at home to the dippers. We will suffer as we have every other managerial tenure since SAF’s retirement, as apparently we don’t deserve any better.
Based on all the reports of Poch/Allegri being lined up. It could all be wishful thinking of course, and it’s much more likely that we cling on to Ole until the season is complete gone, but some small part of me still has some hope. Like I said in my initial post, the club getting a replacement in now just seems too good to be true.

Son

Something needs to be done sometime this year. That was the first international break I’ve enjoyed more than the actual football season probably ever.

Our squad is just is appalling atm with the injuries it must be said. Ole is giving me zero faith either. I think a big move will be arranged in advance if we lose to Liverpool.

There could be a raft of great coaches available come the summer in all honesty.

This whole ‘from Manchester’ thing needs kicking in the bud too - we are a huge worldwide club & need to start acting like it. I couldn’t give a toss if a player/coach grew up down the road from OT. A club of our stature deserves and can afford the best.