United’s next manager

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Ten Haag is heavily linked to the Bayern job, now that Kovac has been sacked.

passing-wind

Get Naglesmann or Tuchel / Poch. These are all managers imo who can give us a platform to build upon.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Ten Haag looks Bayern bound at the end of the season if reports out of Germany are to be believed.

AshRK

His football may not be the most pleasing to the eye but I would not have mind Conte here. A very good coach who has his team drilled to play a organised football.

Hambley

Surely, depends on whether Saudi will purchase the club or not soon. And if they do they would certainly hire a top manager. No "perspective young managers" or nonames without background. Saudi hardly are up to mad experiments if they own United.

Baxter

If he doesn’t end up at Bayern, Ten Hag must be high up. Tactically very good and shown it at the highest level too.

Valuedrug

Always a risky move taking a manager who is going through very bad moment like Poch is.

It's the first time in his short managerial career he's gone through a slump and they don't look like coming out of it any time soon.

Of course you can't write him off but his reputation is definitely taking a lot of hits rights now.
I get what you’re saying, but I don’t think Pochettino represents any real risk given the quagmire United currently find themselves in. We won’t be challenging for anything big for the next couple of seasons no matter who takes over after Ole.

United need a manager who can work within a set of restraints most top managers would, and have, seriously struggled with. They need a dedicated builder with a modern vision of football, who has the proven ability to instill team spirit, buy within a reasonable budget, and integrate young players. Bonus points given for Premier League experience and English skills.

Poch is a miracle worker in my opinion. He hasn’t lost his mojo, instead the team has grown stale due to insufficient recruitment, and the financial restraints, particularly in terms of wages, have finally fractured the team. Players who have championed his ideas in the dressing room are thinking of their future away from Spurs now. Not because of him, but because of the club structure and their own justified ambitions about trying out the next level or getting a fat pay check. It was never going to keep working forever.

The fact that they’re falling apart now is a huge opportunity for United. Not to win the Premier League anytime soon, but to get basically a ready made manager, who checks every box for what we need right now.

Nagelsmann, Rose and these other guys are doing fine where they are, and have no reason to risk their career trajectory gambling on United. But if we get a guy like Pochettino in to revitalise us, either he takes us all the way himself or he gets us to a place where the a-list will consider us again.

Unless crew Woodward sabotages his efforts. But that’s the eternal caveat with United unfortunately.

Reactions: nimic

Mr Smith

Always a risky move taking a manager who is going through very bad moment like Poch is.

It's the first time in his short managerial career he's gone through a slump and they don't look like coming out of it any time soon.

Of course you can't write him off but his reputation is definitely taking a lot of hits rights now.

Good articulation of what's going on at Tottenham right now. Very little of it is Poch's fault, and the parts that are could be corrected by a club with greater resources.

Poch remains my number 1 choice, and he'd have to do a lot wrong for me to change my mind.

Wouldn't say no to Nagglesmann or Rose though.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
Truth is after watching Slavia Prague play against Barcelona twice made me realise there's so many good managers out there other than the usual big names. I'm not saying sign Jindrich Trpisovsky but the way they threatened barca over the 2 games and actually played very good football shows the amount of quality managers with limited teams that could be had if we look in the right place.

Bestietom

Truth is after watching Slavia Prague play against Barcelona twice made me realise there's so many good managers out there other than the usual big names. I'm not saying sign Jindrich Trpisovsky but the way they threatened barca over the 2 games and actually played very good football shows the amount of quality managers with limited teams that could be had if we look in the right place.
Barca are not the team they were, any longer.

Valar Morghulis

Supports
BBW
My mate Gearoid reckons Brendan Rodgers would win us the league within 3 years. Think he should be seriously considered, love his football and attacking mindset.

Untd55

Klopp had a bad last season at Dortmund. They were in/near the relegation zone at Christmas and finished 7th at the end of the season.

It doesn't mean the manager should not be targeted. There are a lot of reasons why a drop may happen outside of the manager's ability: loss of interest; want to try something new; the need of a rebuild, but not interested enough anymore; conflict etc.

I think Pochettino would be one of the best to target. There has just been a lot of problems at Tottenham recently.

Bestietom

Maybe not but would you put money on them not winning the CL? Slavia also drew away to Inter this season so I wouldn't call them mugs.
No, Slavia are no Mugs but Barca have gone back a lot since the time of Xavi and Iniesta etc. They won't win the CL this season.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
If I was Woodward I'd be scared right now. Sure, the money keep flowing in however results are still important at a club football level and lack of results will hit the club down the road. This will be his 3rd managerial cock up down the road. Hence I would ask for help. Rangnick as DOF would be a good way to start. He's been a central figure in RB Leipzig's success and he's got experience as both manager and sporting director. Thus he'll be the ideal man to fill a role that is so important in today's football but had always been done by the manager at United. Once that out of the way, Id go for Allegri for manager. The guy isn't renowned for his dashing football but he has a reputation to manage sides that can punch above their weight big time. He did it with Cagliari, Sassuolo, Milan and even Juventus to a certain extent. Allegri is a bottom up tactician who builds his tactics not out of his ideology but by analysing his players and shape his tactics around them. This is exactly what we need right now as a swashbuckling manager would require 4-5 high quality players upfront to implement his philosophy which we genuinely do not have and probably we can't afford in just 1 transfer window.

As time goes by we should allow Rangnick shape our club. Meanwhile Woodward should focus on what he does best ie finance and leave the football realm once and for all. Maybe in a year or two VDS could be persuaded to get the football CEO job with Woodward becoming the financial CEO. Having a former United player who had worked as CEO in one of the most exciting teams in the world would be great as it would bring United and Ajax traditions and ideas together. Allegri won't last forever and the time might be ripe to bring inJulian Nagelsmann at that point. Its all about bringing in the experienced people in the right job at this point who will stop us from the need to reinvent the wheel every single time.

romufc

My mate Gearoid reckons Brendan Rodgers would win us the league within 3 years. Think he should be seriously considered, love his football and attacking mindset.
Maybe we should look at how Leicester are run and take notes?

We are after most of their players in Maddison, Ndidi, Chilwell. They have appointed a forward thinking manager.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Someone from the Norwegian League perhaps...?
:lol:

Only MUFC would do something like that.
Remember we hired a mid table manager when Moyes got the job.
We have now gone for Ole, who got relegated from the EPL the last time he managed in the EPL.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
If I was Woodward I'd be scared right now. Sure, the money keep flowing in however results are still important at a club football level and lack of results will hit the club down the road. This will be his 3rd managerial cock up down the road. Hence I would ask for help. Rangnick as DOF would be a good way to start. He's been a central figure in RB Leipzig's success and he's got experience as both manager and sporting director. Thus he'll be the ideal man to fill a role that is so important in today's football but had always been done by the manager at United. Once that out of the way, Id go for Allegri for manager. The guy isn't renowned for his dashing football but he has a reputation to manage sides that can punch above their weight big time. He did it with Cagliari, Sassuolo, Milan and even Juventus to a certain extent. Allegri is a bottom up tactician who builds his tactics not out of his ideology but by analysing his players and shape his tactics around them. This is exactly what we need right now as a swashbuckling manager would require 4-5 high quality players upfront to implement his philosophy which we genuinely do not have and probably we can't afford in just 1 transfer window.

As time goes by we should allow Rangnick shape our club. Meanwhile Woodward should focus on what he does best ie finance and leave the football realm once and for all. Maybe in a year or two VDS could be persuaded to get the football CEO job with Woodward becoming the financial CEO. Having a former United player who had worked as CEO in one of the most exciting teams in the world would be great as it would bring United and Ajax traditions and ideas together. Allegri won't last forever and the time might be ripe to bring inJulian Nagelsmann at that point. Its all about bringing in the experienced people in the right job at this point who will stop us from the need to reinvent the wheel every single time.
I agree with what you wrote, but what you wrote makes too much sense.
Our board will do what it takes to save money and if that means hiring a manager who is arguably the worst in the EPL (and won't complain about lack of spending on top players), then so be it.
The fact that we are in 10th place doesn't seem to bother the higher ups, which is astounding.
You want us to hire Alegri - if he was hired, he'd demand good quality (expensive) players, which Woodward would not be able to promise.

7even

Resident moaner, hypocrite and moron

Amen to this!

I don’t have any experience regarding how Allegri manage his teams but I can’t his deny his good results.

Adnan

Talent Spotter

Was his success at Juve mostly down to the Juve hierarchy who handed him the best squad in the league on a plate? I would say yes. Marotta and co were fundamental in rejuvenating the club after the Calciopoli scandal and played a key role in reviving the fortunes of the club. The Juve hierarchy could've picked any half decent manager and carried on winning the scudetto IMO. Allegri was a very lucky man to get the job at Juve after his sacking at AC Milan and should thank Conte and his temperament for inheriting such a great squad and footballing structure led by Marotta.

Nagelsmann or Rose could quite easily adapt to our squad and work from the bottom up aswell. Both coaches are extremely adaptable and have shown great ability to adapt and change systems as they see fit. Tactically and systematically flexible and would work towards a progressive play style which would be the way forward IMO. The only thing Allegri has over them is, he fell into the laps of Marotta's winning machine and racked up titles with a squad that was clearly the best in the league.

Chipper

Adulterer.
Phillipe Clement because I want to be most hipster of the hipsters and be the first to mention his name. I don't know much about him but he's new to this management lark. Won the Belgian league with Genk in his first full season at any club last season which is why they're in the CL and is currently winning it again with Club Brugge.

He's also a 6'5" ex-central defender so could beat the crap out of opposing managers.

Got battered by PSG 0-5 the other week but a more respectable 1-0 loss at Parc de Princes tonight. Got a draw at the Bernabeau too.

I'm not being serious btw, but to be honest I know as much about this chap as some of the other names mentioned.

Edit: Oh shit, @SparkedIntoLife mentioned him, second then!

Last edited:

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
If the likes of Pochettino, nagelsmann, Rose or even Tuchel is attainable, I will be shocked if Ole is still our manager next season. He could win the champions league and I still won’t be convinced. Similar to Di Matteo, I don’t believe he has the capacity to bring continuous success with an attractive brand of football at United.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
If the likes of Pochettino, nagelsmann, Rose or even Tuchel is attainable, I will be shocked if Ole is still our manager next season. He could win the champions league and I still won’t be convinced. Similar to Di Matteo, I don’t believe he has the capacity to bring continuous success with an attractive brand of football at United.
If Solskjaer manages to win the champions league this season, despite us not being in it, he will be our manager next season.

devilish

Was his success at Juve mostly down to the Juve hierarchy who handed him the best squad in the league on a plate? I would say yes. Marotta and co were fundamental in rejuvenating the club after the Calciopoli scandal and played a key role in reviving the fortunes of the club. The Juve hierarchy could've picked any half decent manager and carried on winning the scudetto IMO. Allegri was a very lucky man to get the job at Juve after his sacking at AC Milan and should thank Conte and his temperament for inheriting such a great squad and footballing structure led by Marotta.

Nagelsmann or Rose could quite easily adapt to our squad and work from the bottom up aswell. Both coaches are extremely adaptable and have shown great ability to adapt and change systems as they see fit. Tactically and systematically flexible and would work towards a progressive play style which would be the way forward IMO. The only thing Allegri has over them is, he fell into the laps of Marotta's winning machine and racked up titles with a squad that was clearly the best in the league.
By the time Allegri took over Juventus was already fixating on the CL. The board was pushing Conte to aim for it and he simply wasn't delivering (expecially after an humiliating defeat against Galatasaray which knocked them out of the CL group and who still haunts Conte to this very day). Breaking point was reached during his last season were he spilled it out in the media with the famous 'with 10 euros you can't eat in a 100 euro restaurant' speech. That burned bridges between Juve and Conte. Under Conte Juventus reached the CL quarter finals and wasn't able to pass the CL group stage. When Allegri took over he immediately brought the team 1 game away from a historical treble. He nearly repeated that job in 2016-2017.

I don't know about Nagelsmann and Rose enough to comment. However the former has just 3 years experience in management and he's enjoying all the hardwork Rangnick left behind. Don't take me wrong his record is impressive. However I believe its still to early for him to make the move especially the huge task at hand. I think we're better off with someone who can stir the ship, take the flak and then fecks off after being blamed of every ill under the sun. Allegri has already the experience for that.

Last edited:

devilish

I agree with what you wrote, but what you wrote makes too much sense.
Our board will do what it takes to save money and if that means hiring a manager who is arguably the worst in the EPL (and won't complain about lack of spending on top players), then so be it.
The fact that we are in 10th place doesn't seem to bother the higher ups, which is astounding.
You want us to hire Alegri - if he was hired, he'd demand good quality (expensive) players, which Woodward would not be able to promise.
Allegri isn't the kind who'll be asking for ridiculously talented players. His game is pretty much based on work rate with 2-3 quality players unlocking defences. His bottom up tactical approach means that he'll decide his tactics on the training pitch. That would translate in better use of our current resources and hopefully less reliance over signings.

Having said that, irrespective who takes the job, he'll need a top DOF at his side. Football had changed and DOFs are almost everywhere. The Sir Alex type of manager (ie who took care of everything himself) is all but extinct at this point.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
By the time Allegri took over Juventus was already fixating on the CL. The board was pushing Conte to aim for it and he simply wasn't delivering (expecially after an humiliating defeat against Galatasaray which knocked them out of the CL group and who still haunts Conte to this very day). Breaking point was reached during his last season were he spilled it out in the media with the famous 'with 10 euros you can't eat in a 100 euro restaurant' speech. That burned bridges between Juve and Conte. Under Conte Juventus reached the CL quarter finals and wasn't able to pass the CL group stage. When Allegri took over he immediately brought the team 1 game away from a historical treble. He nearly repeated that job in 2016-2017.

I don't know about Nagelsmann and Rose enough to comment. However the former has just 3 years experience in management and he's enjoying all the hardwork Rangnick left behind. Don't take me wrong his record is impressive. However I believe its still to early for him to make the move especially the huge task at hand.
This article sums up Allegri for me from his time at Milan. He had the best squad in Serie A at his disposal and won the title in his first season which was expected with the stars Milan had in the squad. But he then lost the title to a inferior Juve in the following season with a better squad. And in his 3rd season he was called clueless by many for his bizarre tactics and playing players out of position and was sacked by Milan. He was also criticised for letting Pirlo go which was a awful decision.

https://acmilan.theoffside.com/platform/amp/2015/11/21/9753256/looking-back-allegri-at-milan

liamp

It won't matter who it is unless the foundations of the club are corrected.
Nah, it just makes the job significantly more difficult for whomever comes in.

Basically, we're in a position where we need to churn through managers quickly in order to find one that can succeed in spite of the foundations of the club. The most important thing at this point is being able to quickly move on from a manager who isn't capable of the job before they've had a chance to make too many lasting decisions impacting the squad.

Sounds kind of soulless to say, but Woodward's not going anywhere nor does it appear that they're particularly serious about changing much of the governance structure on the football operations side.

devilish

This article sums up Allegri for me from his time at Milan. He had the best squad in Serie A at his disposal and won the title in his first season which was expected with the stars Milan had in the squad. But he then lost the title to a inferior Juve in the following season with a better squad. And in his 3rd season he was called clueless by many for his bizarre tactics and playing players out of position and was sacked by Milan. He was also criticised for letting Pirlo go which was a awful decision.

https://acmilan.theoffside.com/platform/amp/2015/11/21/9753256/looking-back-allegri-at-milan
When Allegri took over AC Milan were a cup team which was already in decline. They haven't won the league since 2003-2004, Ancelotti left in very bad terms and it was evident that the AC Milan of the past (ie who invested heavily on the squad was over). Allegri took a rather ageing squad which was strengthened by loaned players (Ibra), rejects (Robinho) and bad boy, Cassano. He also had Pato who had the injury record of our Jones with the difference that Pato was screwing Berlusconi's daughter which basically made him untouchable.

Allegri took this mismatched squad of giant egos and an ageing squad of players who gave their all to Milan and were in no mood to accommodate divas to a Serie A title success. After that Berlusconi kept pushing players out. Pirlo left in 2011, Ibra, Thiago Silva, Van Bommel, Aquilani, Cassano and the old guard (Gattuso, Seedorf, Nesta) left a year after, then it was Boateng and Cristante time to leave. AC Milan barely had any decent players to rely upon anymore and things spiralled out of control.

I can't see how you can possibly blame him of what happened at AC Milan and you certainly don't get Juve's top job unless you did something right.

Regarding pirlo he said

'There were problems with Allegri at Milan, because I was injured for four months of that year," Pirlo said - via Football Italia. "I returned when the team was doing well and it was difficult for him to change formation at that point too. Milan had won the Scudetto.'

You can't blame it on that either

Adnan

Talent Spotter
When Allegri took over AC Milan were a cup team which was already in decline. They haven't won the league since 2003-2004, Ancelotti left in very bad terms and it was evident that the AC Milan of the past (ie who invested heavily on the squad was over). Allegri took a rather ageing squad which was strengthened by loaned players (Ibra), rejects (Robinho) and bad boy, Cassano. He also had Pato who had the injury record of our Jones with the difference that Pato was screwing Berlusconi's daughter which basically made him untouchable.

Allegri took this mismatched squad of giant egos and an ageing squad of players who gave their all to Milan and were in no mood to accommodate divas to a Serie A title success. After that Berlusconi kept pushing players out. Pirlo left in 2011, Ibra, Thiago Silva, Van Bommel, Aquilani, Cassano and the old guard (Gattuso, Seedorf, Nesta) left a year after, then it was Boateng and Cristante time to leave. AC Milan barely had any decent players to rely upon anymore and things spiralled out of control.

I can't see how you can possibly blame him of what happened at AC Milan and you certainly don't get Juve's top job unless you did something right.

Regarding pirlo he said

'There were problems with Allegri at Milan, because I was injured for four months of that year," Pirlo said - via Football Italia. "I returned when the team was doing well and it was difficult for him to change formation at that point too. Milan had won the Scudetto.'

You can't blame it on that either
The team he inherited at Milan was star studded and only 3 years earlier had won the Champions League. And that particular squad was considered the best in Serie A. Robinho was displaying fantastic form and was flying at the time for Milan. Allegri won the the league with the best squad in the league in his first season. His second season he lost the league to a inferior Juventus and his final season was so bad that many fans called him clueless and the football was absolutely dire. How he got the Juve gig after his shit show in his last two seasons at Milan was truly baffling and many Juventini were extremely dissapointed with his appointment at the time. There's many parallels to be drawn with Allegri's time at Milan and Mourinho's at United. Only difference being Allegri inherited a much stronger squad in comparison.

Would be a bad appointment and we'd fall further behind the pace setters because both Klopp and Guardiola are far superior coaches. At least with Nagelsmann and Rose we'd have two coaches who have the potential to bang with the best.

Last edited:

SuperiorXI

Nah, it just makes the job significantly more difficult for whomever comes in.
To the point where it's at best a poisoned chalice. Imagine trying to manage this team? I can't think of any manager in history who wouldn't appear to be clueless.

When the bare minimum isn't functioning i.e. a reliable fitness team (all of our players go through cycles of being crocked) then any manager will be struggling massively.