United’s next manager

Halftrack

Just to clarify, some of his more favoured squad members are (were) Lloris, Vertonghen, Rose, Lamela, Eriksen and Kane - all of which were first team players when he arrived.

In his first season, he actually ended up with 5 points less than the car-crash season with AVB and Sherwood where we got beaten comprehensively (5 or 6 goals) by most of the top 4 sides.

I get that Man United fans are suddenly going to gloss over stuff if they want to convince everyone that it's a good idea to go for him, but don't try and rewrite history.
You'll see that a lot on here. You lot were mid-table nobodies until Poch showed up and lifted you out of that existence, turning you into top four contenders. If you point out that it was actually Redknapp who did that, 5th/6th place quickly becomes mid-table, while his two top 4 finishes are conveniently ignored.

Poch is a good manager, and if Ole fails here, he'd be my first choice, but some have a tendency to credit him with a lot of things he didn't do, while absolving him of any blame for things that went wrong (these same people will then turn around and blame Ole for anything that goes wrong at United because "the buck stops with the manager!")

croadyman

One the cusp of what exactly? 5 wins out of 6 mostly against minnows?

It doesn't take a year to sort a team out. It's arguable that were worse off than we were.
Yeah and none of those victories have shown an ability to break down a packed defence, we also haven't proved we can take points from a losing position either.

croadyman

Ole is one month away from completing a full year managing United.

Why should he be the one to do the rebuild ? Why shouldn't it be someone else ?
Because our board are mesmerised by his Utd legend status and cannot see past someone with a connection to the club.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
The caf is tiring lately.

You really cant appreciate another manager without having to fight tooth over nails over it.

Saying basic things like "i think poch is a good manager" would always followed by pages and pages of argument

Icemav

The caf is tiring lately.

You really cant appreciate another manager without having to fight tooth over nails over it.

Saying basic things like "i think poch is a good manager" would always followed by pages and pages of argument
He is a good Manager. Problem is many fans don't think he is either a) a great manager, and/or b) the right fit for United. And there there are many who do think he is both those things.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Just to clarify, some of his more favoured squad members are (were) Lloris, Vertonghen, Rose, Lamela, Eriksen and Kane - all of which were first team players when he arrived.

In his first season, he actually ended up with 5 points less than the car-crash season with AVB and Sherwood where we got beaten comprehensively (5 or 6 goals) by most of the top 4 sides.

I get that Man United fans are suddenly going to gloss over stuff if they want to convince everyone that it's a good idea to go for him, but don't try and rewrite history.
And looked like bunch of average players, with players like Rose loaned out to Sunderland and players like Kane who had failed loans at multiple lower league clubs.

Regarding the second bold part, Spurs fans, especially you is doing exactly the same thing, completely ignoring all the good work he did and then trying to rewrite history.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
And looked like bunch of average players, with players like Rose loaned out to Sunderland and players like Kane who had failed loans at multiple lower league clubs.

Regarding the second bold part, Spurs fans, especially you is doing exactly the same thing, completely ignoring all the good work he did and then trying to rewrite history.
It's typical when a manager leaves who has actually brought progress to an underachieving side though. The revisionists come out in force.
The same thing happened to a lesser extent when Ranieri got fired at Leicester.

Poch did brilliantly to get a team of entitled footballers to start believing in themselves but when he's not backed in the transfer market;he's suddenly average

roonster09

Scout
It's typical when a manager leaves who has actually brought progress to an underachieving side though. The revisionists come out in force.

Poch did brilliantly to get a team of entitled footballers to start believing in themselves but when he's not backed in the transfer market;he's suddenly average
Exactly. The fact that people expect Spurs to win trophies after the low investment shows how good his work was.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
He is a good Manager. Problem is many fans don't think he is either a) a great manager, and/or b) the right fit for United. And there there are many who do think he is both those things.
I can deal with those 2. It's the other 2 extremes that's tiring. The one where he's actually shit and it's all down to levy or the one where he's greater than pep

Inigo Montoya

Exactly. The fact that people expect Spurs to win trophies after the low investment shows how good his work was.
Indeed, I'm not suggesting he's the messiah that some proclaim, nor is he just a naughty boy!

I think he could be a great fit here but he needs a break to recharge his batteries. It didn't do Klopp and Pep any harm, let's be honest.
A hasty sacking of Ole and an even hastier appointment when Poch is at a bit of a low right now would be disastrous. A fresh and enthusiastic Poch as he was at the beginning would be great. But he needs a break.

The one thing that concerns me about Jose is the renewed enthusiasm he's showing. It could be a false dawn, or it could be he's coming back a changed coach having learned from the mistakes at Utd...who knows. The point is he looks refreshed and happy. The same will apply to Poch. Look at it in summer

roonster09

Scout
Indeed, I'm not suggesting he's the messiah that some proclaim, nor is he just a naughty boy!

I think he could be a great fit here but he needs a break to recharge his batteries. It didn't do Klopp and Pep any harm, let's be honest.
A hasty sacking of Ole and an even hastier appointment when Poch is at a bit of a low right now would be disastrous. A fresh and enthusiastic Poch as he was at the beginning would be great. But he needs a break.

The one thing that concerns me about Jose is the renewed enthusiasm he's showing. It could be a false dawn, or it could be he's coming back a changed coach having learned from the mistakes at Utd...who knows. The point is he looks refreshed and happy. The same will apply to Poch. Look at it in summer
Jose's interview, what he said and how he is looking fresh was very similar to 2016. He is saying what the fans want to hear.

Inigo Montoya

Jose's interview, what he said and how he is looking fresh was very similar to 2016. He is saying what the fans want to hear.
I hope that's what it is.

But that's the aura around him; he stirs things up, makes people sit up and listen. It's waned a lot with the football of City and Liverpool though.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Because our board are mesmerised by his Utd legend status and cannot see past someone with a connection to the club.
So bored of reading stuff like this - you don't even actually believe it yourself so why bother posting it?

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
At this rate ole should be given 3 years, and 3 years bar relegation.

Time to put this young and visionary and long term bullshit done and dusted. If it works great we'll have our next saf, if it doesnt then and only then our fans can accept that asking for another saf is a pipe dream and probably only then we can operate like any other top team and not being burdened by united value and all that.

If we hit the reset button the fans would still be split between ole and poch and nothing good will come of it.

RedRover

Sums it up for me. He may not be the finished article, nor is he guaranteed to get there, but he deserves credit for what he achieved.

He's actually been a victim of his own success to a degree. He's had Spurs punching well above their weight given what he's had to spend. It's no coincidence that the wheels have come off when he hasn't been able to replace and renew his squad with top class players, along with having umpteen players looking to run down their contracts and cash in.

Jonno

I really hope we make some sort of pre-agreement with Poch, tell him to take some time out and be announced in the summer. We've got to move for one of the top managers in world football.

Ole has done a good job, he has got rid of some of the rot, he has brought in good young players, he's changing the way we play and do business in the transfer market. But he will never be in the same league as Poch in terms of managerial ability.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Naglesmann at 16/1 could be a decent punt for a tenner.

I really hope we make some sort of pre-agreement with Poch, tell him to take some time out and be announced in the summer. We've got to move for one of the top managers in world football.

Ole has done a good job, he has got rid of some of the rot, he has brought in good young players, he's changing the way we play and do business in the transfer market. But he will never be in the same league as Poch in terms of managerial ability.
No he hasn't. He's been shit.

cjj

Supports
Spurs
You'll see that a lot on here. You lot were mid-table nobodies until Poch showed up and lifted you out of that existence, turning you into top four contenders. If you point out that it was actually Redknapp who did that, 5th/6th place quickly becomes mid-table, while his two top 4 finishes are conveniently ignored.

Poch is a good manager, and if Ole fails here, he'd be my first choice, but some have a tendency to credit him with a lot of things he didn't do, while absolving him of any blame for things that went wrong (these same people will then turn around and blame Ole for anything that goes wrong at United because "the buck stops with the manager!")
Indeed... here we go!

1. Danny Rose played 30 games for Spurs in the season before Pochettino, so no. His Sunderland loan was 2 seasons prior to Poch, where he was player of the season for them.
  2. Kane didn't "fail" at loans - he did well at Millwall in the Championship and was used as a winger at Leicester. Again, he played 20 times for spurs in the season before Poch (including the infamous game against United where he booted the ball away and spat on himself), and ended the season under Sherwood as the main striker, bagging a few goals in the process. He started the season dropped under Pochettino until he needed him (he didn't play a league game until November of Poch's first season).
Very few of Spurs' players looked "average" when he arrived - they certainly looked that way in his first few months, but again we're into the we-want-him-as-our-next-manager-denial-mode on here I guess.

He certainly had a good run at spurs, but he showed his weaknesses in the last couple of seasons - he ruined players fitnesses (crocking Dembele and Wanyama, plus Kane several times) due to his short-term approach to training sessions, and ran out of ideas tactically several times. It's reasonably criminal that he couldn't win a cup with a team that had Harry Kane in it - never mind one that couldn't win an away game with one.

If Man Utd do hire him, I would completely expect things to follow a similar trajectory - a good couple of seasons, fans wooed by his personality, chairman wooed by his passivity, then broken players after a few seasons and then edging into the same prickly tramp mode that Mourinho went into. He would be under far more pressure at United and had a slow start at Spurs, so I would expect - in all reality - no different that what has been observed under OGS.

mancave bear

Naglesmann at 16/1 could be a decent punt for a tenner.

No he hasn't. He's been shit.
Well, its hard to take you seriously. You have been to this forum since 2014, and your average team rating is 1.3?

Ole has done a great job with the rebuild.

The results reflect the fact that we have sold a lot more players than we have got in. And most of the ones we've got are either to poor, to old, to young, injured or the wrong type of player.

So don't blame Ole. Judge him after 7 transfers and a year to make them gell.

You know who to blame ; )

mancave bear

Yeah and none of those victories have shown an ability to break down a packed defence, we also haven't proved we can take points from a losing position either.
We arent able to break down teams because we dont have any real strikers and too little creativity in th midfield.

Woody has sold too many players without replacing them. We only have had 3 transfers.

You cant blame Ole yet.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Well, its hard to take you seriously. You have been to this forum since 2014, and your average team rating is 1.3?

The results reflect the fact that we have sold a lot more players than we have got in. And most of the ones we've got are either to poor, to old, to young, injured or the wrong type of player.

I've done like one squad rating ever, after a battering. I never do them. I was pissed off and gave everybody 1s and 2s.

If Ole is doing a great job I'd hate to see a bad job. Since PSG we've lost considerably more games than we've won. That's a great job for the biggest club in the world?

Keep drinking that kool aid my brother.

Tel074

At the moment nobody stands out the way Klopp did at Dortmund or Pep at Barca.

Closest is the Ajax manager.
You can't really compare Klopp at Dortmund to Pep at Barca? Pep formed and managed arguably the greatest club side there has ever been

Fletchageddon

But he will never be in the same league as Poch in terms of managerial ability.
How can you know unless you give him a chance?

Teams aren’t built in a year. It takes a few seasons. Especially when you have had absolute chaos behind the scenes for 6 years and the greatest manager of all time has left and left an aging (yet capable) squad.

Ole has firstly had to undo all the Moyes, LVG and especially the José damage. Then sort out the dressing room. Then get the team to play how he wants. Mammoth task for anyone.

They took a massive gamble in not signing more than 3 players but the key to this rebuild is definitely getting the right players in rather than numbers.

We are really close to something. We’re not at the raging forest fire stage but there’s definitely a few sparks starting.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Poch has done a great job at Spurs. They’re gone from ‘“lads, it’s Spurs” to regularly League challengers under him, with a bare transfer kitty. You give 500m to him (as what we gave Mou) at Spurs, he’d have Spurs dominating this League like Bayern in Bundesliga.

Tel074

The evidence thus far is our manager isn't at the level required and he may not be the best person available to lead our club forward long-term. Why should it be banned talking about possible replacements when it's obvious he may well be out the job come January? Reality bites hard sometimes, but it can also do you a favour.
A world class manager and progressive new coaches could certainly help us for the short-medium and long-term. To think otherwise is unacceptable considering our place in world football.
But he won't be out of a job come January ? He will rightly have his job come Jan come may and come August because for the 1st time since Fergie left we are clearing out the shite and are actually making promising signings. Is Ole going to win us trophies ? I'm not sure is the answer but what I am sure of is the fact that us match going fans will support the idea that this is the transformation we have needed for a long time and at the end of Oles time at the club we will be in a way way stronger place than we where a year ago

USREDEVIL

His score prediction stats are horrendous. Relegation form actually: Position out of 1788 members = 1598 :eek:

croadyman

I hope this happens too but wouldn't mind betting that Pochettino will have already agreed to manage Bayern by the time we have reacted.

ghagua

With Poc now available and free of Levy, this would be my order of preference.

1) Poc
2) Rogers
3) Gareth Southgate
4) Marco Rose
5) Erik Ten Hag

roonster09

Scout

1. [*]Danny Rose played 30 games for Spurs in the season before Pochettino, so no. His Sunderland loan was 2 seasons prior to Poch, where he was player of the season for them.
    [*]Kane didn't "fail" at loans - he did well at Millwall in the Championship and was used as a winger at Leicester. Again, he played 20 times for spurs in the season before Poch (including the infamous game against United where he booted the ball away and spat on himself), and ended the season under Sherwood as the main striker, bagging a few goals in the process. He started the season dropped under Pochettino until he needed him (he didn't play a league game until November of Poch's first season).
And was average as feck, won't even bother to argue Kane here, it's so ridiculous that it's just a waste of time. How is Kane playing few games relevant here when Kane went from some average young striker to arguably best striker in the world.

Very few of Spurs' players looked "average" when he arrived - they certainly looked that way in his first few months, but again we're into the we-want-him-as-our-next-manager-denial-mode on here I guess.
More like I-want-him-gone-so-i-will-rewrite-everything. Most ManUtd fans used the same argument even when Jose was our manager but used trophies as stick to beat him. Not very few players looked average, Walker, Rose, Dembele, Kane, Vertonghen (defensively), Eriksen and few more. That's half of your team.

He certainly had a good run at spurs, but he showed his weaknesses in the last couple of seasons - he ruined players fitnesses (crocking Dembele and Wanyama, plus Kane several times) due to his short-term approach to training sessions, and ran out of ideas tactically several times. It's reasonably criminal that he couldn't win a cup with a team that had Harry Kane in it - never mind one that couldn't win an away game with one.
Yeah sure, Demeble being a crock is on Poch. Funny how Spurs fans argued how a cup won't change anything, now it's 'he didn't even win a cup'.

If Man Utd do hire him, I would completely expect things to follow a similar trajectory - a good couple of seasons, fans wooed by his personality, chairman wooed by his passivity, then broken players after a few seasons and then edging into the same prickly tramp mode that Mourinho went into. He would be under far more pressure at United and had a slow start at Spurs, so I would expect - in all reality - no different that what has been observed under OGS.
At Spurs he had a shit squad and started with way lower level, with no money to spend. That won't be the case if he joins ManUtd or any other big club. Yeah, he had just a couple of good seasons, finishing top 4 with Spurs in every season bar the first.

Last edited:

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
And was average as feck, won't even bother to argue Kane here, it's so ridiculous that it's just a waste of time. How is Kane playing few games relevant here when Kane went from some average young striker to arguably best striker in the world.

More like I-want-him-gone-so-i-will-rewrite-everything. Most ManUtd fans used the same argument even when Jose was our manager but used trophies as stick to beat him. Not very few players looked average, Walker, Rose, Dembele, Kane, Vertonghen (defensively), Eriksen and few more. That's half of your team.

Yeah sure, Demeble being a crock is on Poch. Funny how Spurs fans argued how a cup won't change anything, now it's 'he didn't even win a cup'.

At Spurs he had a shit squad and started with way lower level, with no money to spend. That won't be the case if he joins ManUtd or any other big club. Yeah, he had just a couple of good seasons, finishing top 4 with Spurs in every season bar the first.
It's sad seeing Spurs fans of all people actively discrediting Pochettino now, after everything he done for them.

Taking over a broken team with overpaid pampered players and no money left to buy anyone. Still remain highly competitive, achieving top 4 year on year, in the toughest league in the world.

Yeah, easiest job in the world, that was.

Last edited:

roonster09

Scout
It's sad seeing Spurs fans of all people actively discrediting Pochettino now, after everything he done for them.

Taking over a broken team with overpaid pampered players and no money left to buy anyone. But still remain highly competitive, achieving top 4 year on year, in the toughest league in the world.

Yeah, easiest job in the world, that was.
Yeah and reading some of the posts, i have a newfound respect for Glastonspur.

Son

But he won't be out of a job come January ? He will rightly have his job come Jan come may and come August because for the 1st time since Fergie left we are clearing out the shite and are actually making promising signings. Is Ole going to win us trophies ? I'm not sure is the answer but what I am sure of is the fact that us match going fans will support the idea that this is the transformation we have needed for a long time and at the end of Oles time at the club we will be in a way way stronger place than we where a year ago
Tbh I was pretty reactionary with that post. I agree after the last few games we should keep him and see where it goes.

I agree we will be in a better place ‘we hope’ by the time this season is over. It’s all a big ‘if’ though at this point. We are still shocking in the league but I’m willing to give him time until it is just not feesable.

We can do the rebuild without him that’s a fact but I hope he gets the credibility for getting us on the right path and brings in Haaland as a present for our patience. He won’t be around long though I almost guarentee that. Goodwill is a great thing but it won’t save him if we are in poor form by the end of the season.

Whatever happens he’s still a United legend and a Europa league win would be a fantastic moment for the club with Ole as boss. That should be our aim now.

croadyman

We should at least touch base with Pochettino to see if he would be interested in the job next summer.

Managers like Nagelsmann might not be available for a while yet and just don't see Ole at the level to be a Utd manager in the long term.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
Tbh I was pretty reactionary with that post. I agree after the last few games we should keep him and see where it goes.

I agree we will be in a better place ‘we hope’ by the time this season is over. It’s all a big ‘if’ though at this point. We are still shocking in the league but I’m willing to give him time until it is just not feesable.

We can do the rebuild without him that’s a fact but I hope he gets the credibility for getting us on the right path and brings in Haaland as a present for our patience. He won’t be around long though I almost guarentee that. Goodwill is a great thing but it won’t save him if we are in poor form by the end of the season.

Whatever happens he’s still a United legend and a Europa league win would be a fantastic moment for the club with Ole as boss. That should be our aim now.
Of course we can do a rebuild without him, the thing is though, hes doing a better job of it than LvG and Jose and those guys had way, way more impressive CV's than Ole.

So even though our league form so far has been pretty awful, what is happening behind the scenes is encouraging so i am very skeptical to getting someone new who might do a better rebuild job, but we dont really know.

Honestly, the only manager i would be confident in doing a great rebuild job is Klopp, and hes sadly as unavailable as it gets

Mainoldo

Of course we can do a rebuild without him, the thing is though, hes doing a better job of it than LvG and Jose and those guys had way, way more impressive CV's than Ole.

So even though our league form so far has been pretty awful, what is happening behind the scenes is encouraging so i am very skeptical to getting someone new who might do a better rebuild job, but we dont really know.

Honestly, the only manager i would be confident in doing a great rebuild job is Klopp, and hes sadly as unavailable as it gets
I don’t get how you can be in a worst league position.. and be doing a great job. He’s out performing David Moyes on who’s the worst manager. But he’s doing a good job?

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
I don’t get how you can be in a worst league position.. and be doing a great job. He’s out performing David Moyes on who’s the worst manager. But he’s doing a good job?
Hes doing better than Moyes win% wise, but that was not the point anyways

Jose and LvG was brought in to win trophies i guess? But they did an awful job on the rebuild part. Ole on the other hand is less likely than Jose to bring silverware, but so far looks to do a better job on the rebuilding part. Doing a decent rebuild is not mutually exclusive with success on the field, but they are not the same either.

To put it another way: I would much rather end up 6th and see us promote and purchase young and promising players who would strengthen us 2-3 years from now than go all-in for top 4 and go for even more short term solutions because we want success now.

Mainoldo

Hes doing better than Moyes win% wise, but that was not the point anyways

Jose and LvG was brought in to win trophies i guess? But they did an awful job on the rebuild part. Ole on the other hand is less likely than Jose to bring silverware, but so far looks to do a better job on the rebuilding part. Doing a decent rebuild is not mutually exclusive with success on the field, but they are not the same either.

To put it another way: I would much rather end up 6th and see us promote and purchase young and promising players who would strengthen us 2-3 years from now than go all-in for top 4 and go for even more short term solutions because we want success now.
LVG was brought in to bring his football ethics and start an original rebuild. We gave him a 3 year contract he only wanted two. I don’t believe it was ever a similar situation to Mourinho’s otherwise we wouldn’t have sacked him after winning an FA Cup. What exactly is Ole doing away from the field that’s so successful? I haven’t heard anything about new training methods, new dietitians, new Bielsa like monitoring of players. All things that we heard under LVG’s rebuild. All he’s done is get rid of players who were already one foot out and replaced them with no-one. I could have done that for half the price.