United’s next manager

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
How about net spend? How about 3 windows signing no one? How about low wages compared to the big clubs? How about big players leaving?

One of the reason why Poch didn't win any trophy was because Spurs didn't take FA and Carling Cup seriously. They concentrate on CL and EPL top four.
Poch is partially to blame there

Bestietom

I really don't think a new manager will solve all our problems. We need to remove Woody from all football matters also, just keep him away and let him concentrate on commercial matters. We also need a huge investment and be able to bring in TOP Players ASAP. Not over 3/4 windows.
If we really want to get back to the top, then the new manager has to be BACKED.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I think the rumours of Ragnick coming in and then moving back to DOF would be the ideal if Ole can't get a win on Wednesday. I can't see how we're moving forward if we get beat on Weds, we'd be going backwards as we beat them last year and they were better then.

Mainoldo

I really don't think a new manager will solve all our problems. We need to remove Woody from all football matters also, just keep him away and let him concentrate on commercial matters. We also need a huge investment and be able to bring in TOP Players ASAP. Not over 3/4 windows.
If we really want to get back to the top, then the new manager has to be BACKED.
Agreed but Solskjaer is not failing because he never got backed.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
How about net spend? How about 3 windows signing no one? How about low wages compared to the big clubs? How about big players leaving?

One of the reason why Poch didn't win any trophy was because Spurs didn't take FA and Carling Cup seriously. They concentrate on CL and EPL top four.
He still had arguably the best 1st team in the league for 2 seasons.

This is all a bit of bollocks really, Poch said he concentrated on the League which he did, but he also got to 2 FA Cup Semis, 1 League Cup Semi and 1 League Cup Final, as well as a CL Final. The chances were their for him to win a trophy, we simply failed to perform or bottled it, the game against Chelsea in the SF of the FA is a good example.

Cassidy

He still had arguably the best 1st team in the league for 2 seasons.

This is all a bit of bollocks really, Poch said he concentrated on the League which he did, but he also got to 2 FA Cup Semis, 1 League Cup Semi and 1 League Cup Final, as well as a CL Final. The chances were their for him to win a trophy, we simply failed to perform or bottled it, the game against Chelsea in the SF of the FA is a good example.
He did not, that is a massive exaggeration. Spurs have never had the best 1st team in any season. Poch made the side over perform. I believe though he should have pushed Spurs to the title the season Leicester won it. On top of that the squad as a whole always had deficiencies

I don't understand the need to belittle Poch now you have sacked him, he did a great job at Spurs. Probably should have won a trophy but oh well. It all went down hill when thee squad needed evolution and you were unable to spend for 18 months

Ban

This is a bit bizarre. United fans defending an ex Spurs manager from Spurs fans. :lol: :lol:

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Agreed but Solskjaer is not failing because he never got backed.
We focus far too much on how much a manager does or does not spend.
Much more important is by how much does the manager improve the level of performance of the players in his squad.
Spending money is easy.
Coaching improvement is much more difficult.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
He did not, that is a massive exaggeration. Spurs have never had the best 1st team in any season. Poch made the side over perform. I believe though he should have pushed Spurs to the title the season Leicester won it. On top of that the squad as a whole always had deficiencies

I don't understand the need to belittle Poch now you have sacked him, he did a great job at Spurs. Probably should have won a trophy but oh well. It all went down hill when thee squad needed evolution and you were unable to spend for 18 months
How have I belittled him? He is a great coach and a great guy.... I loved him as our manager. This whole *omg they have sacked him* is media bullshit, a lot of fans were calling for it, and were surprised he got so long.

I don’t see how you can say he didn’t have one of the best starting 11s for nearly 2 seasons. It was argued a lot right across the media. He should definitely won something.

He didn’t make the squad over perform, we had a quality back line, a World Cup winning keeper. Son, Kane, Eriksen, Dele scoring for fun and a prim(ish) Dembele/Wanyama and a solid Dier. I do agree as a club he had us overpreforming.

Last edited:

Cassidy

How have I belittled him? He is a great coach and a great guy.... I loved him as our manager.

I don’t see how you can say he didn’t have one of the best starting 11s for nearly 2 seasons. It was argued a lot right across the media. He should definitely won something.
Player for player your midfield has never been on par with anything like Citys at any point, in fact your midfield has always been an issue, even when you had Dier and Dembele, Dier being the weak link.
Then your forward line Kane and Son were always accompanied by a weak link

Your 11 was never the best despite the crap the media was peddling. You had a good defence (CB pairing) and Kane mainly and Son then also developed into an elite talent.

I do agree he should have won something, but getting to a UCL final is way more than anything that side should have achieved. I believe most fans would swap that for winning an FA cup sure, but in reality that was a far greater achievement.

I think its belittling to suggest he had the best 11 in the league for 2 seasons, I think it belittles the work he did to make players like Rose, Dier, Lamela, Sissoko, Davies etc perform way beyond their level.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Player for player your midfield has never been on par with anything like Citys at any point, in fact your midfield has always been an issue, even when you had Dier and Dembele, Dier being the weak link.

Your 11 was never the best despite the crap the media was peddling. You had a good defence (CB pairing) and Kane mainly and Son then also developed into an elite talent.

I do agree he should have won something, but getting to a UCL final is way more than anything that side should have achieved. I believe most fans would swap that for winning an FA cup sure, but in reality that was a far greater achievement.

I think its belittling to suggest he had the best 11 in the league for 2 seasons, I think it belittles the work he did to make players like Rose, Dier, Lamela, Sissoko, Davies etc perform way beyond their level.
Hold on I never said he had the best, simply it could be argued. I think your ignoring Dier’s first 2 seasons, Rose when he was bombing on with Walker. Lamela and Sissoko hardly played in the teams I mention. Wanyamma was fit and well. Davies is and always will be a solid LB. you need to go back to the team 2/3 seasons ago.

I think we dissagree on the term to be little someone. I have said in all posts that I loved him as our manager.

poleglass red

I don't think Liverpool's mid was or still is, as good as city's but yet they've reached 2 CL finals in a row and our favourites for the league this year. What they have is an excellent backline and great forward line, which to be honest isn't too different to what Poch had. You don't need the best 11 to win top trophies, Liverpool have and are currently proving that.

Ban

Hopefully he will be.
I have serious doubts. Not the he never won thing although that's true however you spin but working under current United stricture and with Ed. We live in a fantasy where Ed will give him whatever he wants. Guy who says it's extremely difficult to get 3 players in one window. Not to mention vetoing certain deals cause Ed decided so.
Also Poch is so so regarding transfers himself.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I have serious doubts. Not the he never won thing although that's true however you spin but working under current United stricture and with Ed. We live in a fantasy where Ed will give him whatever he wants. Guy who says it's extremely difficult to get 3 players in one window. Not to mention vetoing certain deals cause Ed decided so.
We have good young players who needs manager who is known for improving players. Players like Rashford, Martial, James, AWB, McTominay, Tuanzebe, Greenwood and few more players are young ones (Martial is 23/24 but still young enough) who should be working with manager who can improve them. Poch has good track record of that.

Enigma_87

You know who
So so is better than what we actually have now.

Ban

We have good young players who needs manager who is known for improving players. Players like Rashford, Martial, James, AWB, McTominay, Tuanzebe, Greenwood and few more players are young ones (Martial is 23/24 but still young enough) who should be working with manager who can improve them. Poch has good track record of that.
Yes he has. But we still need new players regardless.

Enigma_87

You know who
Great then, if that's the only aim, to be just better than what we have now, let's go for it!
Better than being shite and do nothing about it, but expect things to get better with time, just because.

Enigma_87

You know who
We do, but those we have can do a lot more, which means if they improve we will have less holes to fill, making the transition easier.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
We need new players, need someone to improve the young ones we have in the squad.

Not many managers are good in transfer market, that's why clubs have DoF, something we won't because Woodward believes he has right system *facepalm*

El Zoido

Glazers and Woodward are the problem yet fans would sooner blame the manager. No manager can operate efficiently under this regime, every one of them will get frustrated. If we get Poch he won’t last two years and will win nothing. Better than Ole? Yes. But it won’t solve the real problem. All these fans wanting Ole sacked, it’s like wanting your windescreen wiper fluid replaced while your engine is on fire. I’m not saying we won’t be “better” under a different manager, but we need more than just someone who can do a better job than Ole.

Ban

We need new players, need someone to improve the young ones we have in the squad.

Not many managers are good in transfer market, that's why clubs have DoF, something we won't because Woodward believes he has right system *facepalm*
Well that's sort of my point.
Take Rodgers for example, good manager but he has a good structure behind him too.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Think the class of 92 will blow their 'United way' collective/hive minds if Ole is sacked from his position as first team coach.

Gary Neville especially will ,yet again, have another social media meltdown.

Cassidy

I don't think Liverpool's mid was or still is, as good as city's but yet they've reached 2 CL finals in a row and our favourites for the league this year. What they have is an excellent backline and great forward line, which to be honest isn't too different to what Poch had. You don't need the best 11 to win top trophies, Liverpool have and are currently proving that.
Liverpool have an exceptional level of talent everywhere else. And have Fabinho.

Spurs didnt. Again this is some kind of revisionism at the highest degree.

I have already said he should have won something but fact is Spurs never had anywhere near the best 11 the fact people seem to think it was arguable just shows how good a Job Poch did.

When you have 3 of the best attacking players in the league Salah Firminho and Mane. Plus the two best attacking fullbacks and one of the best CBs in Europe sure. Along with Fabinho.

The Spurs 11 was not comparable.

Its actually funny since Klopp won nothing at Pool until he spent big on VVD Fabinho and Allison and its also funny his first trophy was in a final vs Poch

Last edited:

Cassidy

Hold on I never said he had the best, simply it could be argued. I think your ignoring Dier’s first 2 seasons, Rose when he was bombing on with Walker. Lamela and Sissoko hardly played in the teams I mention. Wanyamma was fit and well. Davies is and always will be a solid LB. you need to go back to the team 2/3 seasons ago.

I think we dissagree on the term to be little someone. I have said in all posts that I loved him as our manager.
I just disagree it was arguable to be honest. The players you are mentioning there are no where near the level to be considered to be near best in the league and never have been

They were playing well above their level and that was down to the work Poch did.

Im not ignoring Diers first 2 seasons he was always massively overrated. Add Wanayama to that along with Rose

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
I just disagree it was arguable to be honest. The players you are mentioning there are no where near the level to be considered to be near best in the league and never have been

They were playing well above their level and that was down to the work Poch did.

Im not ignoring Diers first 2 seasons he was always massively overrated. Add Wanayama to that along with Rose
I guess we see it differently, I'm only mentioning Rose and Dier there from the first team and the way he played CM dropping into CB was fantastic, there was simply no one else doing it, Rose as well was fantastic at creating space and ran forever. Who was the much better LBs in the league at that time? Again this was back 15/16 - 16/17 seasons.

Cassidy

I guess we see it differently, I'm only mentioning Rose and Dier there from the first team and the way he played CM dropping into CB was fantastic, there was simply no one else doing it, Rose as well was fantastic at creating space and ran forever. Who was the much better LBs in the league at that time? Again this was back 15/16 - 16/17 seasons.
We certainly do. For the level of club you were Dier was great but he offered zero in terms of ability on the ball and passing range or any form of creativity. Something when you go up a level the DMs of the top sides do. Poch was good enough to work around that and move the job of deep passing to Toby. However that created limitations. There is a reason top clubs didn't go anywhere near Dier (Except Jose who had his eye on him for United)

Rose was in good form again his overall ability though especially his defensive positioning was always suspect which is why you covered with a back 3 many times.

My point overall though is these players excelled under Poch and punched above their weight.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I'm gonna quote all my posts about wanting Allegri here when the sack hammer comes down. Many won't like it probably - but it will happen folks.
Why would you want Allegri over other possible candidates ?

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
We certainly do. For the level of club you were Dier was great but he offered zero in terms of ability on the ball and passing range or any form of creativity. Something when you go up a level the DMs of the top sides do. Poch was good enough to work around that and move the job of deep passing to Toby. However that created limitations. There is a reason top clubs didn't go anywhere near Dier (Except Jose who had his eye on him for United)

Rose was in good form again his overall ability though especially his defensive positioning was always suspect which is why you covered with a back 3 many times.

My point overall though is these players excelled under Poch and punched above their weight.
Fair enough, I don’t agree but that’s football.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
Why would you want Allegri over other possible candidates ?
Simply put - I believe that anyone claiming that LvG and Mou's tenure didn't show some encouraging signs compared to Moyes and Ole is lying to themselves. They at least seemed to recognize the limitations of the group of players and in some cases arguably over performed by means of tactical adjustments - albeit dull to look at in many ways. Allegri seems to have the same level of expertise in that regard but brings something LvG and Mou lack in comparison - which is being a players coach. Allegri from what I've seen is a very approachable and relatively balanced guy (like Ole I guess), which should help keep the dressing room happier. Lastly, Allegri seemed to fully buy in to the long standing traditions of Juve and playing for the badge, which should help the transition to a club like United which has lost that sense of higher purpose a bit.

Gator Nate

I'll put a third vote in for Jesse Marsch... it's the kind of thing the Glazers would do, catering to the US market. But I'm still Ole In.

Craig Ward

Does it seriously matter who our next manager is as long as the structure/running of the club remains as is?

Moyes/LVG and Jose all failed.

Ole is under immense pressure from the fans also.

Shall we hire Poch and restrict him the same way we have the last 4 managers? It may improve initially, but it'll go the same way as the others...….

The most logical thing I've read on here is Rangnick coming in as DOF and having COMPLETE control, along with someone like Rose as manager. That's a complete new approach, which is what we truly are desperate for.

Hiring Posh or Allegri under this structure is a waste of time, may as well keep Ole. At least ole will have consistency with the players, rather than a whole new bunch of coaches etc coming in...….