United’s next manager

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
Does it seriously matter who our next manager is as long as the structure/running of the club remains as is?

Moyes/LVG and Jose all failed.

Ole is under immense pressure from the fans also.

Shall we hire Poch and restrict him the same way we have the last 4 managers? It may improve initially, but it'll go the same way as the others...….

The most logical thing I've read on here is Rangnick coming in as DOF and having COMPLETE control, along with someone like Rose as manager. That's a complete new approach, which is what we truly are desperate for.

Hiring Posh or Allegri under this structure is a waste of time, may as well keep Ole. At least ole will have consistency with the players, rather than a whole new bunch of coaches etc coming in...….
You re not wrong. Simply replacing the manager will not be enough the next go around. The recent past might even make it hard to convince Poch or Allegri to come in at all.

Enigma_87

You know who
Does it seriously matter who our next manager is as long as the structure/running of the club remains as is?

Shall we hire Poch and restrict him the same way we have the last 4 managers? It may improve initially, but it'll go the same way as the others...….

The most logical thing I've read on here is Rangnick coming in as DOF and having COMPLETE control, along with someone like Rose as manager. That's a complete new approach, which is what we truly are desperate for.

Hiring Posh or Allegri under this structure is a waste of time, may as well keep Ole. At least ole will have consistency with the players, rather than a whole new bunch of coaches etc coming in...….
Yes, being consistently shit.

You are not getting it, Ole is not the whole issue, but is a very big issue.

Yes we need a new structure but we definitely need a new manager. You had better managers fail, yet you want to give more time to the worst one? Doesn't make sense to keep him at all.

You don't go might as well keep Ole, because we don't know whether Poch will be successful. You have to try to improve things, what we know for sure is that Ole is crap and will not get better.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Arsenal and Manchester United face the daunting prospect of having to negotiate with Tottenham Hotspur chairman Daniel Levy if they want to appoint Mauricio Pochettino this season.

Pochettino has been replaced by Jose Mourinho at Spurs, but Telegraph Sport can reveal that, under the terms of his exit, the club would still be entitled to compensation from any club, at home or abroad, that attempts to appoint the Argentine before the summer.

Although Pochettino has left Tottenham, he is not a free agent and any club wishing to appoint him would have to agree a compensation package with Levy. As well as Premier League clubs, that also applies to overseas clubs such as Bayern Munich and Real Madrid.

Pochettino is among the names being considered by Arsenal, but, as reported by Telegraph Sport on Sunday, friends of the 47-year-old have advised him to take a break and wait for a bigger job.

Bayern are also interested in Pochettino and have a vacancy, whereas United and Real have a long-standing admiration for him but currently have permanent managers in place.

Contrary to a report over the weekend, Pochettino would not have to pay back £12.5million in compensation, if he took another Premier League job before the end of the season.

Instead, it is understood Pochettino would have to give up the money he was still due if he accepted a job at another club and that club would have to pay compensation to Tottenham if they managed to strike an agreement with Levy.

Whether or not Levy would even be prepared to negotiate with Arsenal or United during the season is not certain and Tottenham refuse to discuss the contracts of any of their past or present employees.

It is unclear how long past the end of the season Spurs could still be entitled to compensation, but it was striking that in the statement confirming Pochettino’s departure, the club said he and his coaching staff had been ‘relieved of their duties’.

Pochettino, who does not have an agent, had three-and-a-half years remaining on his £8.5m-a-year contract and has travelled back to Argentina, where he visited his former club Newell’s Old Boys.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/footbal...tempts-hire-mauricio-pochettino-season-would/

Interesting.

Last edited:

romufc

The structure is not going to change any time soon.

You don't carry on with something that is failing because hiring managers and sacking them has failed in the past.

Managers fail, it happens that doesn't mean leave a man who is well out of his depth in charge.

We are Manutd, we have to be looking at the best coaches.

Enigma_87

You know who
Arsenal and Manchester United face the daunting prospect of having to negotiate with Tottenham Hotspur chairman Daniel Levy if they want to appoint Mauricio Pochettino this season.

Pochettino has been replaced by Jose Mourinho at Spurs, but Telegraph Sport can reveal that, under the terms of his exit, the club would still be entitled to compensation from any club, at home or abroad, that attempts to appoint the Argentine before the summer.

Although Pochettino has left Tottenham, he is not a free agent and any club wishing to appoint him would have to agree a compensation package with Levy. As well as Premier League clubs, that also applies to overseas clubs such as Bayern Munich and Real Madrid.

Pochettino is among the names being considered by Arsenal, but, as reported by Telegraph Sport on Sunday, friends of the 47-year-old have advised him to take a break and wait for a bigger job.

Bayern are also interested in Pochettino and have a vacancy, whereas United and Real have a long-standing admiration for him but currently have permanent managers in place.

Contrary to a report over the weekend, Pochettino would not have to pay back £12.5million in compensation, if he took another Premier League job before the end of the season.

Instead, it is understood Pochettino would have to give up the money he was still due if he accepted a job at another club and that club would have to pay compensation to Tottenham if they managed to strike an agreement with Levy.

Whether or not Levy would even be prepared to negotiate with Arsenal or United during the season is not certain and Tottenham refuse to discuss the contracts of any of their past or present employees.

It is unclear how long past the end of the season Spurs could still be entitled to compensation, but it was striking that in the statement confirming Pochettino’s departure, the club said he and his coaching staff had been ‘relieved of their duties’.

Pochettino, who does not have an agent, had three-and-a-half years remaining on his £8.5m-a-year contract and has travelled back to Argentina, where he visited his former club Newell’s Old Boys.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/footbal...tempts-hire-mauricio-pochettino-season-would/

Interesting.
Makes absolutely no sense. Spurs are breaching the contract (sacking him), the clause might be related to Poch compensation, but has absolutely no ties with Spurs anymore in legal matter.

He has left Tottenham, but he's not a free agent... :lol:

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Makes absolutely no sense. Spurs are breaching the contract (sacking him), the clause might be related to Poch compensation, but has absolutely no ties with Spurs anymore in legal matter.

He has left Tottenham, but he's not a free agent... :lol:
I know, Levy is good but he's no that good :lol:.

Craig Ward

The structure is not going to change any time soon.

You don't carry on with something that is failing because hiring managers and sacking them has failed in the past.

Managers fail, it happens that doesn't mean leave a man who is well out of his depth in charge.

We are Manutd, we have to be looking at the best coaches.
Ole is no more out of his depth than Moyes/LVG or Jose, he is bound by the structure.

As will the next manager.....

We need consistency

romufc

Ole is no more out of his depth than Moyes/LVG or Jose, he is bound by the structure.

As will the next manager.....

We need consistency
Jose was out of his depth as a manager? Do you need me to list what he has achieved? He won 2 trophies for us.

We need consistency but that doesn't mean let anyone manage this club?

You might be willing to accept consistent 6th-10th place finishes but I am not.

We are Manchester United not Everton where consistent top half is good enough.

ILC

Simply put - I believe that anyone claiming that LvG and Mou's tenure didn't show some encouraging signs compared to Moyes and Ole is lying to themselves. They at least seemed to recognize the limitations of the group of players and in some cases arguably over performed by means of tactical adjustments - albeit dull to look at in many ways. Allegri seems to have the same level of expertise in that regard but brings something LvG and Mou lack in comparison - which is being a players coach. Allegri from what I've seen is a very approachable and relatively balanced guy (like Ole I guess), which should help keep the dressing room happier. Lastly, Allegri seemed to fully buy in to the long standing traditions of Juve and playing for the badge, which should help the transition to a club like United which has lost that sense of higher purpose a bit.
This should be framed as the first post of Allegri's thread once he's announced as our coach. Absolutely fantastic.

Enigma_87

You know who
I know, Levy is good but he's no that good :lol:.
'Proper' journalism at its very best.. :lol:

I'm not even sure how they will tie it legally not to pay him a compensation if he's to take over another club(PL or whatever), till the end of the season. Unless of course he was relieved of his duties by mutual consent. Legally it makes absolutely no sense to breach the contract by sacking him and then not pay compensation if he goes on to find a new job.

All seems a bit of a clickbait to me.

Devil81

I've been of the mindset Poch is the answer if Ole goes but now I'm swayed by the work Rodgers has been doing at Leicester. Do we think the Liverpool connection is too strong for the supporters to accept him fully?

If he was accepted by the clubs hardcore supporters then I think we would be better going for him as he strikes me as a man who could take a club like ours back to the level we once were.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
'Proper' journalism at its very best.. :lol:

I'm not even sure how they will tie it legally not to pay him a compensation if he's to take over another club(PL or whatever), till the end of the season. Unless of course he was relieved of his duties by mutual consent. Legally it makes absolutely no sense to breach the contract by sacking him and then not pay compensation if he goes on to find a new job.

All seems a bit of a clickbait to me.
All depends what's in Pochs contract really, Levy could have made him have a Spurs tattoo on his arse if it was in the contract. Cleary this £12.5m is severance pay and as such there is a stipulation that Poch probably cant take up new employment until June. Again its just guessing but that's usually how a Severance Package works, we will pay you this as long as your don't get a new employer in X months.

Now if Poch hasn't been fired, I am just speculating here, but is on gardening leave till June then technically the terms of his contract still hold and Levy would have to be negotiated with. Just a theory that could explain the Telegraph's story, again probably BS.

DRM

Glazers and Woodward are the problem yet fans would sooner blame the manager. No manager can operate efficiently under this regime, every one of them will get frustrated. If we get Poch he won’t last two years and will win nothing. Better than Ole? Yes. But it won’t solve the real problem. All these fans wanting Ole sacked, it’s like wanting your windescreen wiper fluid replaced while your engine is on fire. I’m not saying we won’t be “better” under a different manager, but we need more than just someone who can do a better job than Ole.
Agreed. We need to get our house in order before even attempting to sort out the managerial situation.

Enigma_87

You know who
All depends what's in Pochs contract really, Levy could have made him have a Spurs tattoo on his arse if it was in the contract. Cleary this £12.5m is severance pay and as such there is a stipulation that Poch probably cant take up new employment until June. Again its just guessing but that's usually how a Severance Package works, we will pay you this as long as your don't get a new employer in X months.

Now if Poch hasn't been fired, I am just speculating here, but is on gardening leave till June then technically the terms of his contract still hold and Levy would have to be negotiated with. Just a theory that could explain the Telegraph's story, again probably BS.
First part is correct and what I've said that it only ties him to the severance package. That might have some truth in it, depending on the conditions of the last contract.

The gardening leave though... :)

Judas

Open to offers
The only way we see change up top is the Saudi's coming in so pardon me if I'm not screaming for Glazers out. I want them gone, but I just feel a slight dread at what we will become afterwards.

ottosec

Looks like Pochettino does not intend to take a break.

Get him in so that he can buy a couple of players in January.

Revaulx

Simply put - I believe that anyone claiming that LvG and Mou's tenure didn't show some encouraging signs compared to Moyes and Ole is lying to themselves. They at least seemed to recognize the limitations of the group of players and in some cases arguably over performed by means of tactical adjustments - albeit dull to look at in many ways. Allegri seems to have the same level of expertise in that regard but brings something LvG and Mou lack in comparison - which is being a players coach. Allegri from what I've seen is a very approachable and relatively balanced guy (like Ole I guess), which should help keep the dressing room happier. Lastly, Allegri seemed to fully buy in to the long standing traditions of Juve and playing for the badge, which should help the transition to a club like United which has lost that sense of higher purpose a bit.
That’s very interesting. I’ve rather been thinking the same, but you’ve expressed it much better than I could have.

I think there’s potentially another big thing in Allegri’s favour. He seems to have the tact to be able to tell Woodward some home truths without upsetting him. If we are going to modernise the club’s structure someone needs to tell Woodward what to do, while at the same time letting him believe it was his idea all along. LvG was too blunt and Jose too self-absorbed. Poch i think is too emotional. The only available manager I can see being able to do this is Allegri.

Waynne

Glazers and Woodward are the problem yet fans would sooner blame the manager. No manager can operate efficiently under this regime, every one of them will get frustrated. If we get Poch he won’t last two years and will win nothing. Better than Ole? Yes. But it won’t solve the real problem. All these fans wanting Ole sacked, it’s like wanting your windescreen wiper fluid replaced while your engine is on fire. I’m not saying we won’t be “better” under a different manager, but we need more than just someone who can do a better job than Ole.
This.
Been saying this for god knows how long now and every time i see people here or on other social media platforms point the finger of blame at the manager. The cancer at this club sits in the executive.
When is the media going to focus their attention on these executive rats.

Madzik_92

The only way we see change up top is the Saudi's coming in so pardon me if I'm not screaming for Glazers out. I want them gone, but I just feel a slight dread at what we will become afterwards.
Yeap. The only way that we'll move this shite is to have other owner. The saudis won't tolerate people like Ed handling football issues. They also want their club to be the best in the world

Craig Ward

Jose was out of his depth as a manager? Do you need me to list what he has achieved? He won 2 trophies for us.

We need consistency but that doesn't mean let anyone manage this club?

You might be willing to accept consistent 6th-10th place finishes but I am not.

We are Manchester United not Everton where consistent top half is good enough.
yes Jose was out of depth.

Jose is a 2-3 season manager, he generally bombs and leaves a mess. That's his style.

Jose was out of depth because of the way the club is run - every manager is hampered by the inept board.

jamesjimmybyrondean

When you look at Pochettino he does seem like the right fit for us tbh. He prefers to work without a DOF(I'm sure Ed will be happy), he likes to work with youth which we have plenty of, he knows how to get the best out of above average players, he can carry out a rebuild, he plays attacking football and he has good man management.

Given we have no DOF and we don't look we want to get any then at this moment Pochettino is exactly what we need. Every other manager others have mentioned here like Ten Hag, Marco Rose and Nagelsmann will need a capable DOF if we want to get the best out of them.

However I don't see Pochettino as someone that will return us back to our glory days(could be because of his trophiless cabinet) but someone that will steady the ship and just make us competitive again and this will only happen if he's given time and money.

romufc

yes Jose was out of depth.

Jose is a 2-3 season manager, he generally bombs and leaves a mess. That's his style.

Jose was out of depth because of the way the club is run - every manager is hampered by the inept board.
Manutd are not the only club that has difficult owners. Newcastle for example are similar.

Jose got to spend money, the board got Pogba, Zlatan, Fred, Lindelof, Bailly, Dalot

Ole has had money to spend.

I am not in favour of the board but the manager's have been a waste.

Poch fell out with Levy because the way Spurs are run, yet Jose is there and lets see how he does.

We can talk about manager is hampered by the board but lets look at it:

Moyes - Targets were unrealistic and ended up with Mata and Fellaini - shows he was out of his depth.

LVG - Signed Di Maria, Depay, Herrera, Schneiderlin, Martial, Blind all decent but also got Bastian and Falcao who were past it.

We can say that the managers have been hampered but apart from Jose, the other two were a waste.

Ole, what has he achieved to deserve this job?

sunama

Baghdad Bob
If the likes of Pochettino, nagelsmann, Rose or even Tuchel is attainable, I will be shocked if Ole is still our manager next season. He could win the champions league and I still won’t be convinced. Similar to Di Matteo, I don’t believe he has the capacity to bring continuous success with an attractive brand of football at United.
My friend, winning the CL is the least of our worries/fantasies. Ole won't be doing this anytime soon.

You had better managers fail, yet you want to give more time to the worst one? Doesn't make sense to keep him at all.
I think I'm going to use this sentence in any future Ole in vs Ole out debates.

zenith

Poch is the prefect manager for us. In all these years gone by we have never appointed a manager who believed in playing youth, playing attacking football, bringing in potential over big names, is good tactically and does not throw his players under the bus.

The only manager who believes in all that has been ole but unfortunately he is limited as a coach and with his tactics.

I don't mind ole being a place holder for poch till the summer, in case he is not available right now but we absolutely must try and get him.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Poch is the prefect manager for us. In all these years gone by we have never appointed a manager who believed in playing youth, playing attacking football, bringing in potential over big names, is good tactically and does not throw his players under the bus.

The only manager who believes in all that has been ole but unfortunately he is limited as a coach and with his tactics.

I don't mind ole being a place holder for poch till the summer, in case he is not available right now but we absolutely must try and get him.
That negotiation needs to happen soon though. After Christmas, clubs will be all over him

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I'd have the 3 Germans ahead of Poch and maybe add Ten Hag to the list.

crossy1686

career ending
Going to be a lot of upset people in here over the coming seasons.

Solskjaer isn't going anywhere because if he did, Woodward would have to admit he's made another bad appointment and I think we all know that isn't going to happen. Expect at least 2 to 3 seasons before any decisions are made on the manager.

Also, don't get this German coach love in that's going on. It's like when Spain won the world cup and everyone started trying to get the next up and coming Spanish manager in. Most of the German managers mentioned haven't done anything more than someone like Potter has done at Brighton but they're good enough to manage United? Bizzare...

Josh 76

Solskjaer isn't going anywhere because if he did, Woodward would have to admit he's made another bad appointment and I think we all know that isn't going to happen. Expect at least 2 to 3 seasons before any decisions are made on the manager.

Also, don't get this German coach love in that's going on. It's like when Spain won the world cup and everyone started trying to get the next up and coming Spanish manager in. Most of the German managers mentioned haven't done anything more than someone like Potter has done at Brighton but they're good enough to manage United? Bizzare...
The Spanish thing was based on getting the next Pep.
The German thing is based on getting the next Klopp.

Adnan

Talent Spotter

I think the decision will come from the Glazers if push comes to shove regarding Ole.

I personally can't remember a Spanish love in after they won the world cup but could be wrong.

Rose and Nagelsmann should be considered due to their potential for the longterm. And I believe their potential is huge and they set their teams up to play a certain style which would suit any big club that wants to play attacking football. We have too many times gone for the 'obvious candidate' due to longevity or CV without actually thinking of how differing styles will impact our football in the short and longterm. Poch is currently being mentioned as a obvious candidate by many but I think it would be a blessing in disguise if he goes elsewhere and it forces us to think outside the box. I'd take Eddie Howe over Poch and Allegri personally.

We haven't had a coach post SAF who has implemented a style that would really excite our fans. LVG was the closest potentially but he unfortunately was a little too long in the tooth at the time. But IMO we shouldn't hire a coach just because he has a impressive CV, but rather hire one on the basis of him having shown huge potential as a forward thinking progressive coach who implements a style that will excite the fans, which in turn would also reflect positively in our recruitment.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
The Spanish thing was based on getting the next Pep.
The German thing is based on getting the next Klopp.
The German thing was alluded to by myself and a few others when Mourinho was sacked. Most United fans had never heard of Rose at the time.

Hughie77

I'd a agree, Oles going nowhere , not this season anyway, I cannot see the point in it, Woodward has given him the job, given him money so far to try and shape the squad, it's not going to be a quick fix, a few windows are needed, silly season comes around again, sack this manager etc, it doesn't always work? I'd agree with the German manager scenario as well, it was same with the Portuguese ones, few years ago, AVB, Then the x Everton one, Wolves have got the better one... I was not a fan of giving the job to Ole, he's got it, now he has to be given a fair crack at it.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020

Jose didn't fail. He won us a european trophy and gave us our highest points tally since Fergie.

Julian Nagelsmann

always_hoping

Jose didn't fail. He won us a european trophy and gave us our highest points tally since Fergie.

Julian Nagelsmann
If he didn't fail he would still be manager of United right now.

I don't see Ole as manager of United next season especially if no champions league football, his replacement will also struggle as already pointed here the problems at this club are a lot more deep rooted than the manager or should I say too big for the manager to fix whereby he'll also ultimately fail.

RORY65

A good structure and being well run is important but it is worth pointing out that Liverpool weren't a particularly well run when Klopp took over, the year before they had sold Suarez and replaced him with Balotelli and Lambert and the summer before sold the best English talent of his generation to a rival. What they did was get themselves a brilliant manager which gave them the room and time to sort themselves out.

The issue for United is that badly run clubs make bad managerial appointments and we have done that every time (it's nonsense to suggest Mourinho didn't fail despite him aiming for short-term results and still never making us look like a coherent team despite scraping a few wins against shite teams in the Europa League). If we do somehow make the right appointment next time, personally I would go for one of Rose or Nagelsmann for their potential and ability to bring more modern ideas, then they would solve a lot of problems and would potentially push us to sort out the structural problems.

Russky14

This is why Regime change is required and the fans can force this if they line up their collective brain power. At the moment most fans are in a tamazapan haze just like the Utd coaching staff.