United’s next manager

Greck

There's going to be a managerial reshuffle in the Pl soon with Pep and Poch leaving their clubs. We missed out on the last one when Klopp and Pep changed clubs and joined our rivals. There's no time to wait and confirm suspicions that Ole is a failure. Take the hint and go for one of Poch, Nagel-watzisname. Guaranteed we can't end up worse off with any of them. Also certain is their ceiling potential if things go right is far higher

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
There's going to be a managerial reshuffle in the Pl soon with Pep and Poch leaving their clubs. We missed out on the last one when Klopp and Pep changed clubs and joined our rivals. There's no time to wait and confirm suspicions that Ole is a failure. Take the hint and go for one of Poch, Nagel-watzisname. Guaranteed we can't end up worse off with any of them. Also certain is their ceiling potential if things go right is far higher
Which club is Poch at?

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I wouldn't say he's been a failure. Ole has laid the best foundations yet. He's been the only that's had the balls to give youngsters a real chance and not rely on the same shite/wait til they're injured to do so. I suspect that was part of his plan laid out when hired. I do doubt he's the way forward after the summer plans though.

Womp

idiot
I think it’s inevitable he’ll be United’s manager. He’s already stated he wants to stay in England.
He's said he wants to get back into management soon and all reports have suggested the board are intent on continuing with Ole. Don't think it'll happen myself. Don't see him waiting around for Ole to inevitably fail.

Mainoldo

He's said he wants to get back into management soon and all reports have suggested the board are intent on continuing with Ole. Don't think it'll happen myself. Don't see him waiting around for Ole to inevitably fail.
Yeah I’m just hoping the boards stance is generic as there never going to say we are looking at our options. Plus the actually fanbase would probably have a hissy fit.

Mainoldo

I wouldn't say he's been a failure. Ole has laid the best foundations yet. He's been the only that's had the balls to give youngsters a real chance and not rely on the same shite/wait til they're injured to do so. I suspect that was part of his plan laid out when hired. I do doubt he's the way forward after the summer plans though.
What youngsters? Gave them a chance compared to which manager?

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
What youngsters? Gave them a chance compared to which manager?
Greenwood, Chong, Williams. All 3 of the others? Jose brought McT through so fair play there, and LVG stumbled into giving Rashford a go, but Ole has clearly looked to include these as part of his plans.

Mainoldo

Greenwood, Chong, Williams. All 3 of the others? Jose brought McT through so fair play there, and LVG stumbled into giving Rashford a go, but Ole has clearly looked to include these as part of his plans.
Yeah sure....

Chong doesn’t play. If LVG stumbled on Rashford then what was Williams? Ole’s master plan?

so Greenwood then.. the generational talent. Good work Ole.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Yeah sure....

Chong doesn’t play. If LVG stumbled on Rashford then what was Williams? Ole’s master plan?

so Greenwood then.. the generational talent. Good work Ole.
What's got your goat about this?
Chong is clearly being brought through, albeit slower than the others.
And Williams has featured when Shaw hasn't been injured, so yeah.

Mainoldo

What's got your goat about this?
Chong is clearly being brought through, albeit slower than the others.
And Williams has featured when Shaw hasn't been injured, so yeah.
Chongy is going to Inter. So okay and Williams came in because a player pulled up that day and then there was an injury to a defender at half time.

Tell me how this is any different to Rashford as you claimed LVG was just lucky.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
I wonder who is this magical "hierarchy" when they use the word in the context of United? Because, from outside - there seems to be no "hierarchy", it's just fecking Ed Woodward – he doesn't have director of football, the board is an absolute joke, with accountants and memmbers of Glazer family.

What fecking "hierarchy"?

NewGlory

There is no guarantee that Poch or Nagelsmann will do any better than Ole did. Poch got himself fired from Spurs (!) and Nagelsmann has no experience in EPL. You may say they have potential, you may even say that you think they have much higher potential, but talking about guarantees is crossing the line into an imaginary world.

Nobody is going to fire Ole before the end of the season. And he's far from failure yet:

1. If he finishes in top 6, his work this season will universally be considered satisfactory, by experts, even if he doesn't win Europa League.
2. If he finishes in top 6 and wins Europa League, gets us CL qualification - he season will be considered success.
3. If he finishes in top 4, the season will be considered an outstanding success.

and then with City's CL ban, he can even get CL qualification with 5th place, which would still be considered success.

There're still many realistic ways Ole's season would be considered success or great success, and a pretty straightforward way in which it would be considered satisfactory. And he doesn't ruffle the feathers with Woodward, so - why would anybody fire him?

Ole would need to finish 7th or 8th or worse and lose Europa League for him to get sacked, and even then it's not a sure thing.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Chongy is going to Inter. So okay and Williams came in because a player pulled up that day and then there was an injury to a defender at half time.

Tell me how this is any different to Rashford as you claimed LVG was just lucky.
Not sure what him going to Inter has to do with it.
Greenwood has obviously been brought through by no accident, which you've chosen to gloss over now.

As for the difference between Williams and Rashford, well, if you want to give credit to LVG for it that's fine but Ole has still done more with youth than him.
But the difference is that LVG didn't really want to use Rashford at all, whereas Williams has clearly been in the plans. It took a chain reaction of unfortunate events for Rashford's debut to happen, and even then only happened at the last minute (see the last sentence):

https://www.manutd.com/en/printprod...m-sparv-recalls-marcus-rashford-debut-in-2016
Louis van Gaal was on the brink of laughter as he assessed the promotion of Marcus Rashford to first team duty back in February 2016, intoning that the alternative to providing cover for first-choice striker Anthony Martial was simply having no cover at all.

As the Dutchman prepared his United side for the second leg of the Europa League meeting with FC Midtjylland, his options were diminishing all the time. There was no alternative to victory against the Danes, having won just six of the previous 19 games, including a 2-1 reverse in the first leg, while in his selection process he had only Rashford and Martial available to spearhead his attack.

Skipper Wayne Rooney was injured, Javier Hernandez had been sold and James Wilson loaned out, while Will Keane had suffered a groin injury just three minutes after entering the Reds’ FA Cup win over Shrewsbury Town as a substitute three days earlier. Adnan Januzaj, named by van Gaal as his alternative alternate, was cup-tied in the Europa League. And injured.

So, when Martial’s hamstring felt tight during the pre-match warm-up, the latest setback in a season of eye-rolling exasperation handed the floor to a player whose name wasn’t even in the United Review squad list, so late was his call-up.

With Williams, it only took Shaw being injured, which was obviously going to happen at some point.

Again, what's got your goat about it? There's a weird tone considering we're not having an argument. Or at least I'm not. I'm guessing you just despise Ole and can't see past it.
If you can't see that he has been more about our youngsters than others then I dunno what else to say.

wolvored

If by some miracle we get champions league football, Ole will still be the gaffer next season. If we dont I think Pocc will be given the reins. There has been talk of Nagelsmann and Rose in the press occasionally, but I think Woody will go for a safe option

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
There is no guarantee that Poch or Nagelsmann will do any better than Ole did. Poch got himself fired from Spurs (!) and Nagelsmann has no experience in EPL. You may say they have potential, you may even say that you think they have much higher potential, but talking about guarantees is crossing the line into an imaginary world.

Nobody is going to fire Ole before the end of the season. And he's far from failure yet:

1. If he finishes in top 6, his work this season will universally be considered satisfactory, by experts, even if he doesn't win Europa League.
2. If he finishes in top 6 and wins Europa League, gets us CL qualification - he season will be considered success.
3. If he finishes in top 4, the season will be considered an outstanding success.

and then with City's CL ban, he can even get CL qualification with 5th place, which would still be considered success.

There're still many realistic ways Ole's season would be considered success or great success, and a pretty straightforward way in which it would be considered satisfactory. And he doesn't ruffle the feathers with Woodward, so - why would anybody fire him?

Ole would need to finish 7th or 8th or worse and lose Europa League for him to get sacked, and even then it's not a sure thing.
If he doesn't make it to the CL then he'll be a failure especially if CL entrance come at 5th place

NewGlory

If he doesn't make it to the CL then he'll be a failure especially if CL entrance come at 5th place
For fans maybe, I am not sure that is how Woodward and experts would see a season of rebuild.

shaky

If by some miracle we get champions league football, Ole will still be the gaffer next season. If we dont I think Pocc will be given the reins. There has been talk of Nagelsmann and Rose in the press occasionally, but I think Woody will go for a safe option
Ole will be gaffer next season either way. Get used to it.

theklr

Not quite sure all experts will consider his season satisfactory if he doesnt get CL yet again. Think many look at it as the requirement for a Manchester United manager.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
For fans maybe, I am not sure that is how Woodward and experts would see a season of rebuild.
I think for Woodward as well. Our revenues are in decline. If we miss out on the CL again we'll need a scapegoat and sure as hell he won't be blaming himself for that

Greck

There doesn't have to be a guarantee to label it a realistic projection, it merely needs to be arguable on the basis of past and present evidence. There's no guarantee Poch can do a better job than Tony Pulis, none, none at all, but it's highly likely and a basket worth putting one's eggs in. None of us look through crystal balls before giving projections. I like Poch, people say he got sacked but get this, Poch in the midst of rock bottom made a CL final and was nominated alongside Pep and Klopp for manager of the year. Says a lot about his pedigree.

You know what? I change my mind, I've talked myself into it, Poch is guaranteed to do a better job than Ole at any managerial job in football. I don't care if it's on the moon or in Alaska

Mainoldo

Not sure what him going to Inter has to do with it.
Greenwood has obviously been brought through by no accident, which you've chosen to gloss over now.

As for the difference between Williams and Rashford, well, if you want to give credit to LVG for it that's fine but Ole has still done more with youth than him.
But the difference is that LVG didn't really want to use Rashford at all, whereas Williams has clearly been in the plans. It took a chain reaction of unfortunate events for Rashford's debut to happen, and even then only happened at the last minute (see the last sentence):

https://www.manutd.com/en/printprod...m-sparv-recalls-marcus-rashford-debut-in-2016

With Williams, it only took Shaw being injured, which was obviously going to happen at some point.

Again, what's got your goat about it? There's a weird tone considering we're not having an argument. Or at least I'm not. I'm guessing you just despise Ole and can't see past it.
If you can't see that he has been more about our youngsters than others then I dunno what else to say.
Again what are you talking about. Are you just making up history?

Chong point is pretty clear. If he was happy with his development there wouldn’t have been an issue with his contract renewal and him looking to leave for Inter. We aren’t an average club that lose youth team prospects.

Rashford and Williams are the same and I identified why pretty clearly again.... Shaw got injured against Crystal Palance and Williams was not the starting left back or on the bench the next week.

Greenwood well see Wayne Rooney or the guy who brought through Micheal Owen basically any hot talent in your academy... then genuinely tend to get minutes. I also called him a generational talent. Meaning he’s a bit special.

Go check out the starting line up against Arsenal at home in LVG’s last season and tell me he didn’t bring through youth like Ole. I mean what are you smoking. I want some.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Again what are you talking about. Are you just making up history?

Chong point is pretty clear. If he was happy with his development there wouldn’t have been an issue with his contract renewal and him looking to leave for Inter. We aren’t an average club that lose youth team prospects.

Rashford and Williams are the same and I identified why pretty clearly again.... Shaw got injured against Crystal Palance and Williams was not the starting left back or on the bench the next week.

Greenwood well see Wayne Rooney or the guy who brought through Micheal Owen basically any hot talent in your academy... then genuinely tend to get minutes. I also called him a generational talent. Meaning he’s a bit special.

Go check out the starting line up against Arsenal at home in LVG’s last season and tell me he didn’t bring through youth like Ole. I mean what are you smoking. I want some.
You didn't identify anything, and you're continuing with your shitty tone for some unknown reason. Do everyone a favour and leave with the scousers because you're no good for talking with.

NewGlory

I think for Woodward as well. Our revenues are in decline. If we miss out on the CL again we'll need a scapegoat and sure as hell he won't be blaming himself for that
That is a good point. Woodward seems like a person that would even scapegoat his own family if he needed to save his skin, so - surely he won't hesitate to throw Ole under the bus. That said, I think he can sell top 6 / no CL under "rebuild" enough that he would be ok.

NewGlory

There doesn't have to be a guarantee to label it a realistic projection, it merely needs to be arguable on the basis of past and present evidence. There's no guarantee Poch can do a better job than Tony Pulis, none, none at all, but it's highly likely and a basket worth putting one's eggs in. None of us look through crystal balls before giving projections. I like Poch, people say he got sacked but get this, Poch in the midst of rock bottom made a CL final and was nominated alongside Pep and Klopp for manager of the year. Says a lot about his pedigree.

You know what? I change my mind, I've talked myself into it, Poch is guaranteed to do a better job than Ole at any managerial job in football. I don't care if it's on the moon or in Alaska
Hahahah! Go with your heart, man. That's what football fandom is all about :) Cheers