United’s Scouts

Andersons Dietician

I’d imagine the vast network of scouts are looking more at kids than established players. Trying to find the next Messi to get them in at bargain prices.

Andersons Dietician

So with all United's Scouts that are scouting players we have yet to find one hidden Gem while teams like Porto , Atletico Madrid and a few others find plenty so I ask
again what are they actually doing?
Work permits.

kps88

So with all United's Scouts that are scouting players we have yet to find one hidden Gem while teams like Porto , Atletico Madrid and a few others find plenty so I ask
again what are they actually doing?
Who are these hidden gems?

.mica

Supports
Dortmund
The only scouts at United are scouts working under Woodward and search for sponsors.

Member 93275

Clubs like Porto, PSV, etc. buy the hidden gems, and can play them. Then one of each dozen hidden gems turn out to be a real gem, and then the bigger clubs buy these. The bigger clubs don't want to be the filter.

kps88

Porto have been one of the best teams in finding Gems for cheap and selling high.
Like who? Would we have gotten a work permit for them? Would they have been ready to play in the EPL? Would they have had any interest in moving to England at the start of their career? And how many of those potential hidden gems turned out to be duds?

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Not to mention Monaco, plenty of Gems their.
Monaco is a totally different club with a totally different project. Monaco targets players that aren't ready for big things and needs to be developed, that's what they call post formation. It would be bad for United and the players to move at United at this stage of their careers.

Maticmaker

Tbh I have never been quite sure how the scouting system(s) work in the modern day. I suppose because of 'safeguarding' and other legal requirements, let alone football requirements, it has all got complicated, at least for the scouting of youngsters.

As for the 'scouting' of established players, this surely has become mostly a logistical exercise involving agents and publicity people, and many others. It would seem for the media at least, that United are interested in every player who its perceived might become available and many who have repeatedly said they are not!

I suppose in terms of the actual 'scouting' process its still about watching players (of what ever age) and making a report back to HQ. We might be blaming the scouting staff when in fact its the systems that follow on that want explaining?

SAred

Lee Martin Scores , Sir Alex legacy begins
Tbh I have never been quite sure how the scouting system(s) work in the modern day. I suppose because of 'safeguarding' and other legal requirements, let alone football requirements, it has all got complicated, at least for the scouting of youngsters.

As for the 'scouting' of established players, this surely has become mostly a logistical exercise involving agents and publicity people, and many others. It would seem for the media at least, that United are interested in every player who its perceived might become available and many who have repeatedly said they are not!

I suppose in terms of the actual 'scouting' process its still about watching players (of what ever age) and making a report back to HQ. We might be blaming the scouting staff when in fact its the systems that follow on that want explaining?
Maybe your right just confuses me that far smaller clubs are pulling in wonderful players that for some reason our vast scouting network keeps missing.

Member 93275

So United would not want a De Jong or De Ligt playing for them..
No, they want to pay 1 x tens of millions instead of 12 x a couple of million. They have no need or place to develop the 12 to see which player makes it.

JPRouve

Scout
So it seems United would rather cough up 50 million for a Fred then finding the next De Jong, seems odd.
De Jong wasn't hidden, he was a known quantity who put his development above everything else which is why he chose Ajax. These clubs guarantee two things, they are used to take care of young players and they have game time to give.

kps88

Not all Gems come from Brazil.
You're kidding yourself if you think De Jong would have wanted to join us at 18 rather than play regular first team football at Ajax. Once they prove themselves at the smaller club, they move to a bigger one. That's how it's always worked; the good ones are smart enough to plan their careers.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Well that is just daft, maybe Ed is the problem not the scouts. Who ever is to blame it just seems not to be working to well.
Langley was sacked in 2016 ie at the eve of Mourinho's era. I guess Woodward and his pet thought that De Ligt and De Jong weren't really what United needed and we would be better off signing older dudes like Ibrahimovic, Mkhitaryan and Perisic/Sanchez.

Member 93275

De Jong wasn't hidden, he was a known quantity who put his development above everything else which is why he chose Ajax. These clubs guarantee two things, they are used to take care of young players and they have game time to give.
He was a hidden gem, didn't even get playtime at Willem II.

So how has that worked out for United most of Uniteds big money signings have flopped.
That's a different question altogether. Let's say for argument's sake that a new Porto signing has a 10% chance to become a top player, and a new big club signing has 50% chance of turning out to be a good signing. United is in this game. That it ain't exact science and the 50% might not be reached, would not be fixed by going for the 10% group, you'd have the same problem there but enlarged.

In any case, United would not have played De Jong and De Ligt in the national and CL league at the ages Ajax did, and they would not have developed in the same way. That's exactly why they stayed at Ajax so far.

SAred

Langley was sacked in 2016 ie at the eve of Mourinho's era. I guess Woodward and his pet thought that De Ligt and De Jong weren't really what United needed and we would be better off signing older dudes like Ibrahimovic, Mkhitaryan and Perisic/Sanchez.
Theirs the problem seems like Ed who makes the money feels it is his right to spend it has he pleases, well Ed it is not working.

JPRouve

Scout
De Jong wasn't an hidden gem, he was followed in the youth football circuit which is the case for pretty much all youth internationals.

SAred

That's a different question altogether. Let's say for argument's sake that a new Porto signing has a 10% chance to become a top player, and a new big club signing has 50% chance of turning out to be a good signing. United is in this game. That it ain't exact science and the 50% might not be reached, would not be fixed by going for the 10% group, you'd have the same problem there but enlarged.

In any case, United would not have played De Jong and De Ligt in the national and CL league at the ages Ajax did, and they would not have developed in the same way. That's exactly why they stayed at Ajax so far.
And that can apply to a big money signing to ie Fred and a few others. In football like life there is no guarantees but would be nice to see United adopting some of Porto , Ajax and Monaco's recruitment ideas.

JPRouve

Scout
You realize that it's BS. There is a reason why both are still at Ajax today and will only move this summer and it's not because they weren't spotted.

Maticmaker

Maybe your right just confuses me that far smaller clubs are pulling in wonderful players that for some reason our vast scouting network keeps missing.
Yes it does seem strange with all our resources and what we assume are large 'networks' we seem unable to find the 'gems'? Yet looking at some of our existing youngsters, e.g. Garner, Chong, Gomes etc. I think at least one of these will turn out to be a superstar. Rashford is still improving and so is McTominay; true these are unlikely to turn out as another Ronaldo or Messi, but to coin a phrase "United has got Talent" in the pipeline.

So someone somewhere is getting it right!

Member 93275

You did get "hidden gems", e.g. Chong. He's one that won't make it IMO. How are you going to separate the ones that make it from the ones that don't, at the age they got him? You'd need 12 Chongs to get a winner. And how are you going to develop them - Chong hasn't played a game I think since he had a bad game at PSG. De Ligt made errors when he started playing, and it was no problem, just development.