United 1982 squad photo

anver

Shart stop
Dont know whether this has been posted. If it has been, sorry mods, please delete this.

Manchester United’s 1982 squad photo might be one of the best team pictures ever

Brooks Peck

(@ManUtd)
Manchester United had their squad photo taken on Thursday and to mark the occasion, the club's Twitter account tweeted several team pictures from the past. The very best of which was the 1982 edition (above). This is not up for debate.
With shirt sponsor Sharp eager to get their money's worth, the picture features a variety of cutting edge (for 1982) electronics sitting in the grass in front of the players and then manager Big Ron Atkinson, who were all nicely framed by the goal. The picture has it all — a VCR, television (or is that a microwave?), boombox, cassette playing home soundsystem and even a cash register. That final item perhaps serving as a prediction of where top-flight football was headed.
That Man United team went on to win the Charity/Community Shield and FA Cup in 1983 before everything in the picture eventually became obsolete. Here's the latest edition, which sadly has many more Nike Swooshes than boomboxes (cash registers not pictured, but they are there)...

Note how Wayne Rooney is sitting on the end should they have to photoshop him out after the January transfer window. Also, if you stare into Marouane Fellaini's hair long enough, you will see the image of Sir Alex Ferguson chomping on a stick fo gum and warning David Moyes not to touch his Premier League trophy.
Our friends at Prep Rally have previously shared a high school basketball team photo from the '80s featuring a military tank and a high school American football team photo from this year featuring a Duck Dynasty camouflage theme, but without the Sharp MZ-80A classing up the atmosphere, they were wasting their time.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
Giggs looks really young in that first pic.

white text

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
Most of those things now come inside these

It's beautiful in a way; who could have guessed back then that all them gadgets featured in the 82 team photo would one day fit up Ashley Cole's asshole? That filthy slag Remi Moses, that's who.

Verminator

Whiteside, McQueen, Muhren, Stapleton, Nicholl, Bailey, Buchan, Moran, Birtles, Duxbury, Moses

Coppell, Macari, Wilkins, RON, Robson, Gidman, Grimes, Albiston

Edit: Nicholl where I'd said Grimes. Grimes in for "help?"

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Somehow Big Ron manages to look more tacky than the entire picture. He must've robbed Dixons.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
I don't even remember that name.
Just realised it is Ashley Grimes. I named Jimmy Nicholl as being Grimes. I'll edit it.
Hehe, I don't actually remember him either - not from back then. I wasn't very old and as far as I can gather he barely played for us. Came from City's youth ranks - and went back to City from us. Anyway, I just did a process of elimination - without luck as it turns out.

Peter Beardsley was actually in our squad that season, I keep forgetting that.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Big Ron's white suit... :facepalm:

Robin

Hehe, I don't actually remember him either - not from back then. I wasn't very old and as far as I can gather he barely played for us. Came from City's youth ranks - and went back to City from us. Anyway, I just did a process of elimination - without luck as it turns out.

I think you are getting your Ashley Grimes's mixed up, there is a much younger namesake that started with City youth but has no connection to us, and our Ashley never started at City.

jeston

I think you are getting your Ashley Grimes's mixed up, there is a much younger namesake that started with City youth but has no connection to us, and our Ashley never started at City.
Think he was talking about Peter Bodak being at City.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
But Peter Bodak is a good shout because he was the only one I didn't recognise.
Yes - I meant that Bodak was at City. He was with us only for half a season, according to the sources - was signed late in the summer and was sold on in January! Quite the United career. Google him and take a look - it sort of looks like him, but then again verminater has probably got it right. I was only five or six at the time, so I honestly don't remember the fringe players from that era very well.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
I was a match goer then, and never knew of Beardsley until he mentioned in commentator prattle. Same with Platt.
And I used to go to reserve games, and some youth matches. (Just for the rare tokens)
He has a league cup match for us - I think. Beardsley, I mean. But obviously neither him nor Platt would've been players you'd remember as United lads, not unless you paid far closer attention to the youth teams than I ever have.

It's a bit of a strange team photo, by the way - done for Sharp more than anything, you'd think. I've seen another team pic from that season that looks more like an "official" one - with more players (reserve keeper and the like) and some staff as well.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
I know. Flash bastard. I think Big Ron's dress sense was the inspiration for Liverpool's 1996 FA Cup Final togs.
I seem to remember him sporting an overcoat at times that would easily rival Wenger's ridiculous winter gear. Tried to find a picture of it but all you get now - as per default - is "ron atkinson racist". He brought it on himself, you could say, but still - I think that's more than a little sad.

.Phil1968

I'm sure that's Grimes at the back in between Stapleton and Bailey and that's Peter Bodak in the front.Gary Birtles looking a tad uncomfortable but he is in front of a goal so it's understandable.:D

Robin

Verminater !!! I never said you quoted it, calm down and look at Chesterlestreets post number 23 , all sorted out now.