United 1998/99 had probably the most epic, dramatic and toughest treble ever!

matbezlima

United 1998/99 had probably the most epic, dramatic and toughest treble ever! Not only in the quality of the adversaries in the three titles, but above all in how fine the margins in those titles were. We all know about the UCL final, but it wasn't the only insanely tense and emotional moment in that treble. PL was won with only 1 point of advantage over a great Arsenal team, for example. And the FA Cup was also full of drama against plenty of strong teams. Mentality of steel. They weren't the best treble winning team ever, but they probably had the best mentality of all. And they still were a very good team overall too. And I say all of this as a neutral. Of all european trebles, probably only Inter 2009/2010 could come even remotely close to being as epically tough and dramatic.

MancunianAngels

Supports
FC United
What makes the European Cup win alone more remarkable is English clubs had struggled in it since the Heysel ban ended.

We were the only English club that looked close to winning it for the best part of a decade.

Most of the top European clubs (especially the Italian clubs) appeared to be a million miles ahead of us and everyone else in this country.

That Arsenal team of August 97 - May 99 was arguably the fiercest rivalry we've ever had, a team that actually only lost 1 game against us in that period (the semi final) but were terrible in Europe (even when they had, in theory, a more "European" kind of side with the likes of Viers, Overmars and Petit)

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Did you know Xavi played against that team? Blew my mind. I always associate 98/99 with a whole different era of football. Xavi was 18 then.

NM

It's simply the difficulty level in the CL that blows my mind. Bayern and Barca in the group (granted Barca weren't amazing but they were good).. and in the overall season we lost less games than the invincibles.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
NBCSN showed the MU v Tot today that was the final match of the season. We had to win if Arsenal won and Arsenal was leading early. We were down 0-1 after 20 minutes and had missed a number of good chances before Beckham scored around the 35' mark. York scored in the 2nd with some nice individual skill. That was just an example of the mentality. Fun match to watch again.

Baneofthegame

NBCSN showed the MU v Tot today that was the final match of the season. We had to win if Arsenal won and Arsenal was leading early. We were down 0-1 after 20 minutes and had missed a number of good chances before Beckham scored around the 35' mark. York scored in the 2nd with some nice individual skill. That was just an example of the mentality. Fun match to watch again.
Cole got the second with an underrated chip after just coming on I believe.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
This season is the greatest any fan will have ever experienced from their football club. Other treble’s are just as great as achievement but the drama will never be matched. A complete fairytale.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
That Giggs’ goal in the Semi replay has been merely confined to greatest Goal reels, is a mark of how nuts those final 6 or so weeks were.

That Roys performance against Juve is only confined to discussions about great solo performances is another.

That season had so many insane Or weird points that would be spoken about forever had they happened in isolation.

- Saying goodbye to Eric in the Munich fund raiser to kick off pre season
- Becks off the back of the World Cup red card and all the drama attached
- Signing a truly world class defender and centre forward in the same window, and them both having close to perfect debut seasons
- Our goalkeeper announcing he’s leaving, 6 months before the season ended
- Our player coming runner up in the European and World Player the year awards
- Two 3-3’s with Barcelona while we escaped the group of death
- Becks playing Simeone again as we beat Inter.
- The Juve ties of course

Then winning it on Sir Matt’s birthday.

All nuts

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Cole got the second with an underrated chip after just coming on I believe.
Cole did get the goal. More of a lob than a chip. But its a great goal and I remeber it like it was yesterday. Quality.

The game I remember most for pure nerves is that semi against arsenal.
Going a man down. Clinging on. Phil Neville giving away a peno in stoppage time. Pure elation that big Pete saved it.
The rest is Giggs history.
What a match. Those two teams and that type of cup tie are a thing of the past.

Johnson Yip

Cole did get the goal. More of a lob than a chip. But its a great goal and I remeber it like it was yesterday. Quality.

The game I remember most for pure nerves is that semi against arsenal.
Going a man down. Clinging on. Phil Neville giving away a peno in stoppage time. Pure elation that big Pete saved it.
The rest is Giggs history.
What a match. Those two teams and that type of cup tie are a thing of the past.
Anelka's disallowed goal as well...

Also, for the original encounter, we got robbed of a legitimate goal for being 'offside' when Giggs dribbled at the left by-line before crossing for Keane to score.

Pure drama for this Arsenal tie.

Achilles McCool

That Giggs’ goal in the Semi replay has been merely confined to greatest Goal reels, is a mark of how nuts those final 6 or so weeks were.

That Roys performance against Juve is only confined to discussions about great solo performances is another.

That season had so many insane Or weird points that would be spoken about forever had they happened in isolation.

- Saying goodbye to Eric in the Munich fund raiser to kick off pre season
- Becks off the back of the World Cup red card and all the drama attached
- Signing a truly world class defender and centre forward in the same window, and them both having close to perfect debut seasons
- Our goalkeeper announcing he’s leaving, 6 months before the season ended
- Our player coming runner up in the European and World Player the year awards
- Two 3-3’s with Barcelona while we escaped the group of death
- Becks playing Simeone again as we beat Inter.
- The Juve ties of course

Then winning it on Sir Matt’s birthday.

All nuts
That’s a great summary and reminds me of so many great moments/memories from that season! I got the VHS Season Review that next Christmas and wore it out over the next couple of years!!!

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
That’s a great summary and reminds me of so many great moments/memories from that season! I got the VHS Season Review that next Christmas and wore it out over the next couple of years!!!
There were also the takeover talks in that summer.

Plus Anelka tearing Stam a new one, looking like Ronaldo incarnate in the Charity Shield.

I think Arsenal stuffed us 3-0 in the third game of the season too. Thought they were going to piss the league that year.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Anelka's disallowed goal as well...

Also, for the original encounter, we got robbed of a legitimate goal for being 'offside' when Giggs dribbled at the left by-line before crossing for Keane to score.

Pure drama for this Arsenal tie.
And when you think of the whole competition in the FA cup that year - we were 3 minutes of being KO by Liverpool at home - then yorke and Ole scored two late goals.
Took a replay against Chelsea and a Replay against Arsenal.

Thats Liverpool Chelsea and Arsenal beaten in one cup comp. Totally deserved to win that.

Web of Bissaka

EPL
1. United 79 (GD +43)
2. Arsenal 78 (GD +42)
3. Chelsea 75

FAC
R4 -- Liverpool
R6 -- Chelsea twice
SF -- Arsenal twice
F -- Newcastle

CL
Group (Bayern and Barca)
QF -- Inter Milan
SF -- Juventus
F -- Bayern

---

Ridiculous tough!
Were there other treble winning teams that have similar toughest runs of competitions?
Doubt it.

Balancing trying to win all three competitions is so difficult.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
This season is the greatest any fan will have ever experienced from their football club. Other treble’s are just as great as achievement but the drama will never be matched. A complete fairytale.
It was a true reflection of the manager.
Never say die.
Never know when you are beaten.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
What a season it was.For me if you had to pick a "key game" it was the Cup semi against Arsenal.Winning that drove us on in my opinion.SAF told the team at HT against Bayern in the European final " They are not Arsenal".
Says a lot.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
Sky Sports PL are currently showing the final game of the 98/99 season vs Spurs in full. Just started!