United 2020/21 FM

Kaivalya

What a bizarre thread. Just for the record, who or what are these players?

Why the hell would you pay insane fees for players who have never done anything in English football? This is the problem we're in now. We keep paying players as superstars on superstar fee's and wages without them having actually done anything yet. Then when it gets to hard they can just down tools and tell everyone to blame the manager because they're going home in their luxury car to their instagram live feed and play twitch games.

We need to start moving away from this transfer strategy and actually start to fill out our squad with some grafting low earners who want to work their bollocks off just to get rewarded with the 6 figure earner bracket. Not reward players who've done nothing with bumper contracts for no reason. We've ruined our wage budget and our structure, we need to fix that first and foremost before we start trying to regenerate the squad by trying to buy in and make more superstars. It has gone beyond the point of ludicrousness now to expect a team to function properly when they are all overpaid and comfortable in their position to be able to drive a wedge between the manager and the fans.
Other than the Chiesa price which would be be off by some +20m he's got most of them right. That's what they would go for in today's market never mind a little while down the road when they're more proven.

Kaivalya

The only fantasy situation that FM would entertain for me would be the ability to move absolutely shit players without any difficulty. Idttrim this bloated squad in one window and add quality at FB and CB other than that we're fine. Also in FM you can just retrain players in different positions and pull it off without a real hitch and have a balanced squad (training Rashford and Martial to be a naturalized right winger).

jesperjaap

No he’ll be closer to the scrap heap then!
They’re not from Europe, they’re from Tatooine.
Upemecano, Ascacibar and Wan Bissaka? You're taking the piss, right? There is no way these people with such names actually exist.

(Yeah, I'm a bit out of the loop in terms of young talents through Europe, apparently).
I am guessing you are all aware of Sancho and Bissaka at least now then?

quackattack

Obviously:
GK: De Gea, Donnarumma, Romero.
LB: Shaw, Dalot (as both RB and LB), Sessegnon (as LB and LW).
RB: Hakimi, Wan Bissaka.
CBs: Lindelöf, De Ligt, Lucas Hernandez, Nikola Milenkovic, Jose Gimenez, Poole.
CM: Pogba, Herrera, Rodrigo, Torreira, Garner.
Wingers/attackers: Martial, Rashford, Chong, Gomes, Lingard, Sancho, Greenwood, Mbappe, Neymar.

A decent Squad that can compete at the highest level.

jesperjaap

Don't forget De Ligt.
Well apart from Gouri who has been injured and not heard anything about progress of Guimaraes they are all doing very well. Upamecano is being linked with Bayern , De Ligt Barca and Juve, Bissaka lots of clubs, NDombele City :(, Sancho with us, Chiesa with City and us amongst others.

Surprise to me is not seeing Ascacibar really linked with anybody (was a link to West Ham just because of Mascherano comparisons really). In terms of size and style, if you think of Torreira at Arsenal but x2 for the ability as well as reading of the game and positioning....and heart, he would be some signing for a lot of clubs, including ours. Little I have seen of him this season he has looked even better than before.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Obviously:
GK: De Gea, Donnarumma, Romero.
LB: Shaw, Dalot (as both RB and LB), Sessegnon (as LB and LW).
RB: Hakimi, Wan Bissaka.
CBs: Lindelöf, De Ligt, Lucas Hernandez, Nikola Milenkovic, Jose Gimenez, Poole.
CM: Pogba, Herrera, Rodrigo, Torreira, Garner.
Wingers/attackers: Martial, Rashford, Chong, Gomes, Lingard, Sancho, Greenwood, Mbappe, Neymar.

A decent Squad that can compete at the highest level.
You cheated by using the game editor

jesperjaap

Obi Wan Bissaka
De Ligt
Ndombele
Sancho
Well that would be an amazing window and I do think we are only going to see 4/5max signings this summer and similar number maybe out. If I was hedging my bets I would guess DeLigt to Barca, Ndombele to CIty, Sancho stays put....Bissaka maybe signed, otherwise he goes to Arsenal/Chelsea. We are in a bit of a weird position in that we have under performed for ages, there are a few players regardless of the Ole effect arent good enough to be first choice in my opinion.....yet you look at Dalot, Pereira, McTominay who are all good young squad players then we have some genuinely exciting youngsters in Baird, Gomes, Chong and Greenwood pretty much ready to break through and it makes who and where to sign more complex.
Id like to see Rojo out and a top centre back signed (I actually think we may see Koulibaily signed), Darmian out and Bissaka in, Ascacibar (not even linked) as the competition for Matic and a real worldy for the flanks if we sign one liek Dybala/Dembele/Chiesa as promising as Sancho is we do seem to have two or three similar players around the same age

jesperjaap

Well doing this again, wouldnt do as many this summer, but still pretty similar:

Out
Grant, Darmian, Valencia, Rojo, Bailly, Sanchez, Mata, Fosuh Mensah, Matic, Perreira - £110m

£200m spend + £310M

In
Bissaka, Romagnoli, Upemecano, Rice, Sancho, Tonali - £310

GK - DeGea - ROmero
RB Bissaka - Dalot
CB Upemecano - Smalling
CB Romagnoli - Lindelof
LB Shaw - YOung
DM Rice - McTominay
CM Pogba - Fred
CM Herrera - Tonali
LW Martial - Greenwood
RW Sancho - Lingard
ST Rashford - Lukaku

Baird as cover for both full back positions
Jones as centre back cover
Garner as defensive midfield cover
Gomes as attacking midfield cover
Chong as cover for the wings

Of course if Herrera or Pogba leave this totally changes. Main thing for me this transfer window is rebuilding the defence. DeLigt would be ideal but think he will end up at one of the big Spanish sides. Have gone for two centr backs with leadership qualities as that is something I think our side lacks. Romagnoli in particular is good on the ball. I can see Romagnoli/Upemecano having many similar attributes to form a Ferdinand/Vidic type partnership.
I like the look of Dalot but I just think Bissaka is potentially a really special player, in fact I feel that with all the English signings. Tonali is the wildcard that Im thinking more long term in a possible trio with Rice and Angel Gomes.
I think with the youngsters we have, apart from the right wing our attack doesnt really need much adding, more older big names moved on, to allow room for them

jesperjaap

2018-2019
Upemecano - Bayern
DeLight - Juventus
Wan Bissaka - Manchester United
Ascacibar - Hertha Berlin
NDOmbele - Spurs
Guimaraes - No Move
Gouiri - Nice
Jadon Sancho - No Move
Chiesa - Juventus

Really thought Guimaraes would be a star but heard little of him. AScacibar has had injuries and spitting incident and gone backwards, bar SAncho every other player has moved to a big club

2019-2020
Bissaka - Manchester United
Romagnoli - No move
Upemecano - Bayern
Rice - No move
Sancho - no move
Tonali - Milan

All at big clubs bar the players we are getting linked with now two years later. Didnt do one last year but for this summer:

Out: DeGea, Romero, Bailly, JOnes, Dalot, Mata, Lingard, Pereira, Van De Beek, Garner, Fred, Chong, Cavani (his choice) -

Personally are others I would like to sell but we STILL have a lot of deadwood looking at this list and DeGea cant stay if we are putting faith in Henderson as is too good to be a number two. Bailly and JOnes are just too inconsistent and injury prone. Fred though I like him, simply isnt good enough and Van de Beek just doesnt fit into the side, never thought it was a good signing at the time though he is a good player,w as massively over hyped at the same time.

I would hope this would bring in £100-150m. With lost revnues from Corona, history under Ole transfer wise and fact even with all these exits we still have a big squad with a few youngsters coming through, realistically we cant spend a fortune this summer or bring in lots of players so I am going for a low net spend:

CB: Romagnoli - Still only 26, left sided, captainand leader and good organiser, good on the ball and experienced, with Upemecano now moving, without doubt my number one choice is Romagnoli and I feel this summer may be our best chance to sign him £35m

CM: Boubacar Kamara - I would love us to sign Camavinga but have a feeling the competition will be rife and with Pogba staying, I see him moving to the likes of Madrid. I also really like Declan Rice but we already have a similar player in McTominay and we are probably talking £65-75m for Rice which is crasy money. A player with similar technical ability to Camavinga and the defensive attributes of Rice (can also play CB liek Rice), Kamara gives us the balance and stability defensively we could be lacking with Matic ageing, but with good technique carrying he ball that we seem to lose with a Fred/McTominay partnership. At £30m odd I think he would be gret value for money

RW: Gabrielle Veron - We have already invested £30m is Amad who surely is expected to play a lot more next season. As much as I like him, with the potential of Amad, I wouldnt now pay £80m+ for SAncho as much as I like him. Have to confess I have seen little of Veron but he looks an insanely talented player and I would rather be spending £30m on another prodigous young talent to double our chances as James and Greenwood can still play there too

CF: This is a tough one as there are three obvious choices at the moment - Mbappe unrealistic - Kane I feel has had the purple patch and is too start too fade, would guarantee goals and assists but for a fee of £100m+ prob a fair bit more, for how long, doesnt make financial sense - Haaland is of course the obvious choice but takign away the football side as he is the most suitable to us of the three I feel all things considered....I just dont like him. There is the stinking smell of that agent, the apparent greed and career pre-planned so lack of loyalty, a dislikable arrogance, the links with father and most importantly, again unrealistic with the competition and probabloy wages required on top of a £150m odd fee. Outside of that most of the really godo strikers are old and already at big clubs. We also have to remember we would still have Martial and if needed Rashford to play there and also we have one of the most talented young strikers in the world in greenwood potentially who hopefulyl will get more game time there next season if someone like Amad/Veron can claim the right wing berth. The name I would go for is actually one I mentioned in 2018.......

Amine Gouiri - Not long after I first mentioned him at Lyon enarly three years ago, he broke through and suffered a serious injury. After a long time out he didnt seem to get opportunities unable to break past Depay and Dembele. Last season he moved to Nice to resurrect his career and its great to see him getting back to the player he looked to be at still just 21. This is a gamble and also he has mainly played on the left the few times I have seen him for Nice...however that gives us good cover for Rashford. He is quite small but he has very good pace, fantastic technique, intelligence and awareness and is a very good finiher, have seen some recent comparisons with Benzema which I dont personally agree with. I think we can pick him up again for around £30m. The only other option for me is Calvrt-Lewin who has improved a lot this season and is a good stiker, again I think we are talking £65-75m again and that just doesnt make sense to me though

Signign these four players with our outgoings will probably actually give us a negative net spend. I would also like to see Laird, Mengi and Mjebri added to he squad next season

SecondFig

My main takeaway from this thread, is that Ole et al have done a much better job of managing the United squad over the last 2-3 years than the caf would have

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
Why dont you just go and play FM, do your things there and let us know how it went in the FM thread in stead of in the 'Football' section?