United and Liverpool driving "Project Big Picture" - Football’s biggest shake-up in a generation

Ooh2B

Supports
Arsenal
Best players = best football.
Biggest clubs = best players.

Easy.
This is why it worries me.

Basically that viewall the best players are going to be born into the best clubs, ready made and won’t have experienced anything other than elite football environments.

No need for football and footballers to develop anywhere but at the top clubs.

We can shut down all those academies, clinics and camps out there because the top players will be already at the top clubs..

All that bright green grass needs roots and nurturing.

scudetto_boy

Supports
St Mirren
I thought the proposals were genuinely a positive & profound step in the correct direction with the exception of a number of clubs have exclusive voting powers & rights-awful. The rest of it, i thought looked good.

scudetto_boy

Supports
St Mirren
With the exception of exclusive voting powers/right by 6-8 of the teams, is anyone in favour of any of this proposal?

Cal?

CR7 fan
There is no appetite for a European Super League outside of the boardrooms of the clubs who would be likely to play in it.
Have you asked the millions of armchair fans around the world?

Cal?

CR7 fan
Agreed. CL and big PL matches are exciting because they don't happen that often. A Super League where all Liverpool did was play Madrid, Juventus and United and the likes would just make those games less interesting.
Liverpool play Villa twice every season in the PL is exciting,
Liverpool play Real twice every season in a ESL is boring? :confused:

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I think he's meaning that in our league you have Man Utd v Liverpool twice out of 38 games. So that's hugely infrequent.

If you're in some sort of euro super league, with say 12 teams, you're not only ruining the mystique of the big European games, playing them twice a season rather than very rarely, but you'll also see Man Utd v Liverpool more often as part of it. And you might start getting like Scotland or Spain where they tediously always seem to be playing their big fixture.

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
I do think playing playing Villa is exciting, yes. Not as exciting as playing you or Barca of course. But I also feel that if this Super League forms where the 12 biggest clubs play each other at twice every season, that these big games would lose significance because of how frequently they would happen.

Fluctuation0161

I thought the proposals were genuinely a positive & profound step in the correct direction with the exception of a number of clubs have exclusive voting powers & rights-awful. The rest of it, i thought looked good.
They shouldn't have lumped a big piece of turd to the perfectly good proposals then. :lol:

Spark

I do think playing playing Villa is exciting, yes. Not as exciting as playing you or Barca of course. But I also feel that if this Super League forms where the 12 biggest clubs play each other at twice every season, that these big games would lose significance because of how frequently they would happen.
100%. It would significantly undermine domestic leagues while taking away the significance of playing Europe’s best once every couple of years (if that) on average.

Real/Barca have been wanting this for twenty odd years, as it means they can monetise far more of their games. While United/Liverpool versus Villa might not be the world’s most exciting fixture, Real and Barca are stuck for truly exciting competition beyond El Classico and a couple others at a push. A super league gives them significant leverage.

Premier League clubs should appreciate this and veto the whole thing whenever possible.

scudetto_boy

Supports
St Mirren
Without the bias voting rights for the biggest clubs, i liked a great deal of the new proposals, anyone agree?

Cal?

CR7 fan
How is playing Barca twice not more interesting than playing Villa twice? :confused:
Do you want it?
Why not? Anything that benefits United is good.

Nanook

I’d love to see a European Super League with the largest 24-30 teams in Europe competing. Do it the American way with revenue sharing, salary caps etc.

European leagues have become a joke to be honest. It’s a terrible thing that Bayern have won 8 league titles in a row and will very likely win the next 5.The same is true in Spain, France and Italy. Even in the Premier League only six teams have the finances to actually win the league and for Spurs and Arsenal it would take them overachieving to actually win the league.

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
How is playing Barca twice not more interesting than playing Villa twice? :confused:
I think the big matches are exciting because they only happen every now and then. If there suddenly are 30 of them every year, I think some of the excitement would disappear. It would also make the gap between those big clubs and the rest even bigger, which would be sad, in my opinion.

432JuanMata

I think the big matches are exciting because they only happen every now and then. If there suddenly are 30 of them every year, I think some of the excitement would disappear. It would also make the gap between those big clubs and the rest even bigger, which would be sad, in my opinion.
Exactly. Spot on the excitement of the CL is the chance of playing great teams it would make games less special if we played a to class team every game, also upsets and underdogs winning is the surprise and really exciting

AaronRedDevil

Can we not just adopt the NBA style and have some fun games. Instead of the best slam dunk or whatever many style of games they have, make a Best free kick tourney, best PK taker or a world 11 against each other. The best 11 against the runners up. That’ll make all the monies.

scudetto_boy

Supports
St Mirren
Let's completely forget about european super leagues in this thread please & stick to the actual topic & theme of the thread. Thanks ;)