United and Liverpool driving "Project Big Picture" - Football’s biggest shake-up in a generation

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
That’s not actually true. It says that 25% of all pl revenue will go to efl every year. That’s why they’re so in favour of it.
Yeah, for now. If this vote goes through the top 6 can change this as they see fit. Hence, they will just reduce it significantly as soon as they can. Furthermore, lets be honest, this is also about giving the top clubs the freedom to walk out of the league/domestic duties to go play in a Super League. When they do that, over time, they would dilute the value of domestic rights, and would not share any of the Super League money. This 25% is more like a one off payment to give the top clubs absolute power.

hungrywing

Nice people alright.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.th...blog/2013/may/06/anfield-liverpool-david-conn

They are just as bad as the owners of Liverpool in the 80s who screwed over smaller clubs. They will screw over anybody to further their own interests.
It's pretty clear that people like JB7 and me are saying that they're different to the Glazers in terms of intelligence.

Never once said they were nice people.

"Their own interests" at least include making their club one of the best in the world. That puts them far above the Glazers is anyones book surely.

choccy77

That’s not actually true. It says that 25% of all pl revenue will go to efl every year. That’s why they’re so in favour of it.
Sorry, I was referring to only the lump sum part, the clubs will look at that and think it's great. but realistically it's not that great, the rest of the future money will be as you say, but the big teams will be making tons of cash elsewhere triple that 25% most likely.

Devil_forever

You're only young once, you can be immature f'ever
Head of the naval division of lolibfascon
Rejected...

Eat shit, cnuts.
I don’t think they ever expected it to pass, it was a warning shot to the premier league. What stops the big clubs from walking away from the premier league and joining the EFL or the inevitable European super league? The Duncan Castles podcast did a great job of covering this in detail. This is pretty much the beginning of a restructure.

Prodigal7

I don’t think they ever expected it to pass, it was a warning shot to the premier league. What stops the big clubs from walking away from the premier league and joining the EFL or the inevitable European super league? The Duncan Castles podcast did a great job of covering this in detail. This is pretty much the beginning of a restructure.
Exactly. Anyone familiar with Broking or sales knows that you never go in with your opening gambit expecting it to be accepted by everyone. It was an outline to show everyone what their priorities are and get a feeling as to who thinks what in the room.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
There is no appetite for a European Super League outside of the boardrooms of the clubs who would be likely to play in it.

Devil_forever

There is no appetite for a European Super League outside of the boardrooms of the clubs who would be likely to play in it.
So you’re telling me the average fan wouldn’t tune into watch a United vs Real Madrid match, or a Barca vs Liverpool match or even a Spurs vs Juve match?

I’d argue that there very much is, there’s a reason why the European competition is still seen as the most prestigious trophy to win at club level. Of course there’s huge appetite from a viewership point for a European super league. The neutrals would love it and die hard fans would 100% watch it. Heck we tune in for pre season friendlies, you think any of us wouldn’t be chomping at the bit to watch a European super league?

Devil_forever

So United and Liverpool rejected their own idea?
This was an exercise in showing the premier league that we could get the support of the EFL and have sent them a message on where the top clubs want to see football headed. Sooner or later the big clubs will threaten to forfeit their place in the league, without them, the league’s television revenues would dry up over night. The premier league knows it and so do the likes of United and Liverpool.

Judas

Open to offers
So you’re telling me the average fan wouldn’t tune into watch a United vs Real Madrid match, or a Barca vs Liverpool match or even a Spurs vs Juve match?

I’d argue that there very much is, there’s a reason why the European competition is still seen as the most prestigious trophy to win at club level. Of course there’s huge appetite from a viewership point for a European super league. The neutrals would love it and die hard fans would 100% watch it. Heck we tune in for pre season friendlies, you think any of us wouldn’t be chomping at the bit to watch a European super league?
Those big games are exciting for the very fact we barely see them, a European super league destroys the novelty completely. It's a horrible idea, and it always has been.

Pretzels81

Not Salty…
I would reduce the PL to 16 clubs, honestly. Bottom 5 feels like an extension of the Championship. Dead weight; pitiful, even.

Erase the Football League Club (expand the FA Cup).

scudetto_boy

Supports
St Mirren
I think it's a really good idea as i said yesterday & there are various positive points to it. The structure of the game needs to be changed in England & various positive steps are listed in this proposal.

Why the defensive over reaction from so many?

Aretak

I would reduce the PL to 16 clubs, honestly. Bottom 5 feels like an extension of the Championship. Dead weight; pitiful, even.
The club that finished 17th last season is currently sitting third in the table and just thrashed Liverpool 7-2.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

Erase the Football League Club (expand the FA Cup).
You know football isn't just there to serve a tiny handful of fat cats don't you?

And I wouldn't be too hasty either, as the club you support might not be top 16 the way they're going!

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur

Not every week nope. It takes away everything that is good about european competition and also lessens the europeans leagues as well. It's a horrific idea that nobody wants other than the money men.

Pretzels81

Not Salty…
You know football isn't just there to serve a tiny handful of fat cats don't you?

And I wouldn't be too hasty either, as the club you support might not be top 16 the way they're going!
Been hearing that since 2013. Worst position N*7 in 2014.

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
I have to laugh when people mention a Euro Super League. I have followed football closely since '94 and people have been talking about an 'inevitable' Euro Super league since about 1996. Still waiting.

Matab8r

Not surprised to see the Glazers leading this change. They have sucked united dry and can see the writing on the wall that they have pretty much maxxed United out in its current format. Having a euro or world super league would be the only way for them to substantially grow united commercially for more $$$$'s for themselves.

Ludens the Red

I have to laugh when people mention a Euro Super League. I have followed football closely since '94 and people have been talking about an 'inevitable' Euro Super league since about 1996. Still waiting.
So true :lol: similar to safe standing. the reason why there’s been no euro Super League is because The majority of people who watch football don’t want it. The only people who seem to feel this incessant need for a super league are chairman of less than a handful of clubs.

ariveded

A case of internal sabotage? The untimely leaks made them start on the backfoot. Otherwise, normally they would have “repacked” in nicer terms and lauched a heavy marketing campaign and propaganda.

Its still not the end as they will come again soon. As evident, from the twice yet failed voting of the 5 subs rule in EPL. Next time, expect them to come with strong lobby groups and propaganda...

HerrLeinad

Supports
Bayern München
Those big games are exciting for the very fact we barely see them, a European super league destroys the novelty completely. It's a horrible idea, and it always has been.
People used to say the same when more and more teams were added to the CL from the top leagues.
Funnily enough a lot of PL followers also argue that the league is so interesting BECAUSE you see so many top teams constantly playing each other. A lot of the arguments against a European super league are really contradictory.
In the end the real problem are the logistics of establishing one but the market/viewership would certainly be there.

UpWithRivers

I cant for the life of me see why everyone is up in arms. Proposals made with points in favor of their own clubs - shocking! What do people expect. Our proposal is that 75% of our revenue goes to other clubs? They actually asked Woody to apologize! Why? I want all the clubs to survive but from the top clubs perspective they are looking our for themselves. Like everyone else. Its just business. Why be shocked at it. Baffling. Instead of acting like children just say not sure this works for us. How about X. Thats how life works. But no. Its all attack Liverpool and United. Spread hatred everywhere. And have no ideas of their own. The only thing they came up with is that they should come up with something. Wept.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
I cant for the life of me see why everyone is up in arms. Proposals made with points in favor of their own clubs - shocking! What do people expect. Our proposal is that 75% of our revenue goes to other clubs? They actually asked Woody to apologize! Why? I want all the clubs to survive but from the top clubs perspective they are looking our for themselves. Like everyone else. Its just business. Why be shocked at it. Baffling. Instead of acting like children just say not sure this works for us. How about X. Thats how life works. But no. Its all attack Liverpool and United. Spread hatred everywhere. And have no ideas of their own. The only thing they came up with is that they should come up with something. Wept.
Problem is they pissed off the rest of the Prem.

Clubs are opposed because they tried to relegate two (more) of them and seize control.

If they hadn't done that FL clubs might have been more on board

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
The big clubs can feck off then. Let the rest of football move on while they trot the globe playing glorified friendlies in New York and Dubai and Auckland.

JB7

Odd comment in a Man Utd forum.
You watch football for the biggest clubs and best players, yeah you don't get football.

Anything could happen in football, on the extreme end United could get relegated, or on a less extreme side they could go through a stage of major averageness like pretty much every other top club in the country has over the last 25 years, not invest properly in the team and therefore not have any of the best players.

What would you do then, stop watching United because they don't have the best players and don't win trophies? It's a seriously odd reason to watch football.

JB7

It's all attack Liverpool and United because they have come up with a cynical power grab designed to effectively let them walk away from the league in future for something that earns them more money during a global pandemic where they genuinely seemed to think throwing the smaller clubs a bone to help them out for a couple of years at a time they are stretched to breaking point but in turn effectively giving up any ambitions they may have in the long term of becoming a bigger club. United and Liverpool have acted like utter cnuts and deserve all the disdain thrown their way.

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
Agreed. CL and big PL matches are exciting because they don't happen that often. A Super League where all Liverpool did was play Madrid, Juventus and United and the likes would just make those games less interesting.