United and top 4

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
For me football doesn’t begin and end with Liverpool or what they do.

I’m a United fan. I want to see United in the CL again. Forget that we’re nowhere close to winning it or whatever, watching United line up against Juventus, PSG and Barcelona this season, I haven’t felt that way about a match since Moyes season when we played Bayern. Nights like that are what I live for as a United fan. I care more about that than I do about Liverpool winning the league. If us beating City hands them the league but gets us into the top 4 then so be it.

At the end of the day someone has to win the league. While we’re not competing it will be someone else. Sooner or later the scousers will win it. They aren’t going to slip or fachts it up forever.
Pretty much. I don't want to see us turn into a new version of Arsenal where merely getting top four football is heralded as some sort of achievement, but anyone who watched us play PSG and get to the QF's should surely be desperate for us to be able to produce those moments again next year instead of languishing in the EL instead. Liverpool will be insufferable if they win it but I'd much rather see us improve to a point where we can win it back again instead of focusing on what they're doing anything. Wanting us to harm our season by losing to our actual city rivals is baffling stuff.

Ronaldo's ego

Incorrectly predicted the 2020 US Election
I'm better than Messi (even though I'm not)
So let’s settle for mediocrity and not achieving bare minimum targets, as long as Liverpool don’t win the league...no thanks. I want Manchester United to do well, I’d rather stop all our rivals winning the league by winning it ourselves.

Morpheus 7

I think we need to see where we are at on that weekend. City could lose to Spurs next week and it might not matter that much time we play. We could lose to Everton, Arsenal could drop points ect..
We need to see where we are at the time.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Feck it, I'll be glad when we lose to City. We ain't finishing top four regardless. Don't care about UCL - we're not going to win it next year anyway. In terms of losing our best players, feck it, I have no emotional attachment to a single one of them - we need a clear out and any fecker that doesn't wanna be here can quite frankly feck off.
What?! We're literally two points off a top four spot, with a game in hand over the team currently in 4th, sandwiched between teams who have been remarkably inconsistent this year. Of course we're still in the top four race!

The chances of us winning it next year are next to none, but then English clubs have produced fluky wins before, and I'd argue that currently in Europe the fact that there's no one dominant team means it's more likely that could happen than in previous years. And while we might not quite win it, we've shown literally in the past couple of months we're capable of producing big moments against big teams in the competition, and that we're capable of going far in it. I'd much rather be in with a 20/1 shot of winning it than being favourites for the EL.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I get the feeling that there’s going to be a UK/Outside divide on this issue.

If you’ve grown up with Liverpool fans around you, you understand.

R'hllor

Wanting us to lose, isn’t top red bullshit. I don’t know what you call people that want united to lose, but it sure as shit ain’t united fans.
Never said in thread that i want us to lose, never would wish us to lose a game. People here wishing us to lose games isnt a new thing, it happened during LvG 2nd year, for a reason of us getting rid of him quicker.

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
We won't have much choice, City are miles better than us. People need to remember that we've beaten them only twice in Premier League at OT in this decade. Pep completely shred Mourinhos tactics to shred, he'd do the same to Ole.

I think we can finish Top 4 even after losing to City provided we win the remaining 4 matches (Everton away, Chelsea home, Huddersfield away, Cardiff home). Beat Chelsea and it is entirely in our hands, Arsenal have too many away matches remaining still so I have faith in them to mess that up.

R'hllor

So using your logic, you would rather City beat us and stand a better chance to clinch it over liverpool. Quite frankly, i could not care less if liverpool win or not. Obviously i would rather city win but for me the priority is united get top 4. You can use the example united still can get players but the expense of that is throwing stupid wages. We have all seen what has happened with Sanchez. Next seen we need to buy big and top 4 is the best tool to do that. Id rather nights against Barcelona than Seville.
Nope, would never want that, nor i said that above. Also, wishing us to lose vs City and cheering for Liverpool scoring while they are in PL title hunt, isnt exactly the same for me but thats just me.

PoTMS

What?! We're literally two points off a top four spot, with a game in hand over the team currently in 4th, sandwiched between teams who have been remarkably inconsistent this year. Of course we're still in the top four race!

The chances of us winning it next year are next to none, but then English clubs have produced fluky wins before, and I'd argue that currently in Europe the fact that there's no one dominant team means it's more likely that could happen than in previous years. And while we might not quite win it, we've shown literally in the past couple of months we're capable of producing big moments against big teams in the competition, and that we're capable of going far in it. I'd much rather be in with a 20/1 shot of winning it than being favourites for the EL.
I wish had your confidence. I don't think we'll beat Chelsea and City. Can see us slipping up against Everton too.

And that's all well and good but I'd rather Liverpool lose the title than us have a minute chance of winning the CL. I can't imagine anything worse than Liverpool winning the Premier League. Actually, I can. Them doing the double. :nervous:

Varun

Staff
Would give it up for Pool not to win the title, no question.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
I wish had your confidence. I don't think we'll beat Chelsea and City. Can see us slipping up against Everton too.

And that's all well and good but I'd rather Liverpool lose the title than us have a minute chance of winning the CL. I can't imagine anything worse than Liverpool winning the Premier League.
I mean, probably not, but I'd rather we, like, at least try. Wanting us to literally bend over backwards for our city rivals just to spite Liverpool, while fecking over our own season in the process, is astonishingly small-time. The sort of thing we'd have mocked other clubs for years back when they weren't winning stuff. Clubs like, ya know...Liverpool.

wr8_utd

:'(
United Top 4 > Liverpool winning the league any day of the week.

If we want to be a top team again, we need to be in the CL. How are we going to attract the likes of Sancho playing in Europa next season?

The reality is Liverpool are a top tier team, they will more likely than not win leagues or cups soon. The concern is us - 7 years post SAF and we haven't even come close to a title challenge.
The same way we attracted the likes of ADM, Pogba, Zlatan etc. We throw money at them and they'll come. What does qualifying for the CL do for us anyway? We're utter garbage in it and never even make a SF.

PoTMS

I mean, probably not, but I'd rather we, like, at least try. Wanting us to literally bend over backwards for our city rivals just to spite Liverpool, while fecking over our own season in the process, is astonishingly small-time. The sort of thing we'd have mocked other clubs for years back when they weren't winning stuff. Clubs like, ya know...Liverpool.
Top 4 is not an achievement. Our season is already fecked in that we'll again be trophyless. Don't care about being small time - as long as Liverpool win feck all.

Cloud7

Yeah I think so. The Liverpool fans I know are quite annoying, but then I don’t consider them any more annoying than arsenal fans or Barcelona fans. I suspect as someone outside, the hate for Liverpool is something I’ll never be able to properly grasp, and I accept that.

Then again, for me football banter is just that. Football banter. Even fans of other teams lording things over my head doesn’t really bother me, as it’s just football, not life and death.

R'hllor

Like i said maybe my view isnt a right one but maybe that comes from my opinion that in current our situation, being in CL means little in grand scheme of things. This might sound crazy but with our fitness and if we buy smart this summer, i believe we stand better chances winning PL next season with not being in Europe at all but that could be crazy talk.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
We won't have much choice, City are miles better than us. People need to remember that we've beaten them only twice in Premier League at OT in this decade. Pep completely shred Mourinhos tactics to shred, he'd do the same to Ole.

I think we can finish Top 4 even after losing to City provided we win the remaining 4 matches (Everton away, Chelsea home, Huddersfield away, Cardiff home). Beat Chelsea and it is entirely in our hands, Arsenal have too many away matches remaining still so I have faith in them to mess that up.
I'm not sure why people are being so remarkably defeatist about how we'll perform vs City. They're a brilliant side, yes, but we're capable of beating them. We beat them away from home last year when they were having an even more dominant season than they are now, under a manager who managed to mount a comeback in spite of the fact he was typically a defensively-minded dinosaur. Tottenham literally beat them this week and we're not much worse off than them in the league. fecking Newcastle beat them! They're good, yes, but clearly not infallible. Winning will be tough but we should be going into it with the aim of taking a point from them at the very least.

MrBest

Nope, would never want that, nor i said that above. Also, wishing us to lose vs City and cheering for Liverpool scoring while they are in PL title hunt, isnt exactly the same for me but thats just me.
I was using application to your statement, i know you didnt say it. I also do not think anyone is cheering liverpool on, i know what you meant i just dont think you made your point strong enough. Believe me, as a mancunian and a brother that is a liverpool fan, watching them win would hurt so bad. But i dont really care for there results now, only things which benefit united.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Top 4 is not an achievement. Our season is already fecked in that we'll again be trophyless. Don't care about being small time. As long as Liverpool win feck all.
And I'm not saying it is. But it gets us entry into a competition in which we want to compete. We've managed to get to the QF's of that competition this year in spite of being a mess for half of the season. Benitez fecking won it with Liverpool in the same year they finished below a Moyes Everton side!:lol:

Wanting to sabotage your own season for the literal purpose of spiting your rivals is the type of thing we'd have mocked Liverpool for years back.

PoTMS

I'm not sure why people are being so remarkably defeatist about how we'll perform vs City. They're a brilliant side, yes, but we're capable of beating them. We beat them away from home last year when they were having an even more dominant season than they are now, under a manager who managed to mount a comeback in spite of the fact he was typically a defensively-minded dinosaur. Tottenham literally beat them this week and we're not much worse off than them in the league. fecking Newcastle beat them! They're good, yes, but clearly not infallible. Winning will be tough but we should be going into it with the aim of taking a point from them at the very least.
Because we've been awful at home this season. Every big team we've faced, we've lost or drawn. Lost to Spurs, Barca, PSG, Juve. Draws against Arsenal, Valencia and Liverpool.

PoTMS

And I'm not saying it is. But it gets us entry into a competition in which we want to compete. We've managed to get to the QF's of that competition this year in spite of being a mess for half of the season. Benitez fecking won it with Liverpool in the same year they finished below a Moyes Everton side!:lol:

Wanting to sabotage your own season for the literal purpose of spiting your rivals is the type of thing we'd have mocked Liverpool for years back.
I feel like we're going in circles. Let's just agree to disagree. In my opinion, we have a 1% chance of winning the UCL next year. And that for me is not enough to allow a entire season of goading and bragging from Liverpool fans and pundits.

Cloud7

Like i said maybe my view isnt a right one but maybe that comes from my opinion that in current our situation, being in CL means little in grand scheme of things. This might sound crazy but with our fitness and if we buy smart this summer, i believe we stand better chances winning PL next season with not being in Europe at all but that could be crazy talk.
Can we opt out of the Europa league? If we don’t make CL I would rather no European football than Europa league again :lol:

Fanatic 00237

Supports
The Indomitable Lions
United truly is the new Arsenal, we aspire for the Top Four Trophy so that we qualify for a competition which should normally be reserved for national league champions. People really don’t seem to get that it’s the money and not CL qualification which gets you top players. I don’t want Liverpool anywhere near our 20 mark. People who say they don’t worry about Liverpool aren’t taking into account that they have more CL titles than us right now and if they ever equal our league titles record (I shudder at the thought), they would be the (unarguable) best team in England. I don’t want them to even get a sniff of another league title before we win one again so I’d happily sacrifice top 4 if it can prevent Liverpool from winning the league.

Also, we should really try to avoid getting into the sad cycle of not winning the league and accepting top 4 as consolation. The players must understand that United is about winning actual trophies, we don’t take consolation prizes.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

If we want to be a top team again, we need to be in the CL. How are we going to attract the likes of Sancho playing in Europa next season?

The reality is Liverpool are a top tier team, they will more likely than not win leagues or cups soon. The concern is us - 7 years post SAF and we haven't even come close to a title challenge.
I'm not sure this is true.
Recent history has shown we actually buy the bigger players outside of the top 4, as the board sh!T themselves and back us fully.

A season out of the European cup isn't a disaster. If anything, it helps us rebuild.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Fans desperate to lose for City :lol: And your'll be moaning when we're traveling to kazahstan and belarus next year in the emmerdale cup. Yet if you want CL iits celebrating mediocrity apparently?
It's not even like it's a win against City guarantees top 4 anyway.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

A bit of a south / north divide too.

City mean absolutely nothing to us southern fans.
They have literally no fans down here, and they're an illegitimate regime anyway. Them winning doesn't affect anything.

Liverpool on the other hand is a disaster

Coxy

This.

I would rather worry about our club, than where a different one finishes. Finishing 4th means we are more appealing to some players - it’s quite simple.

If we want to compete with Liverpool again, we need better players. Finishing fourth will aid that

R'hllor

Can we opt out of the Europa league? If we don’t make CL I would rather no European football than Europa league again :lol:
Even if we get in EL, we can make it like we are not in it. Do something similar to Arsenal, do not bring first team players on trips nor play them at home. Heck Ole can go smack a ref in first game so he doesnt take a part too.

PoTMS

This.

I would rather worry about our club, than where a different one finishes. Finishing 4th means we are more appealing to some players - it’s quite simple.

If we want to compete with Liverpool again, we need better players. Finishing fourth will aid that
We signed Pogba, Zlatan, Falcao, Di Maria, Schweinsteiger with no UCL football to offer. I don't think it holds as much significance as people make out.

Jacckk1985

Thinks we should ban Niall
Couldn't care less whether it's Liverpool or City who win the title.. us as Manchester United need to do our best to finish as high as possible this season and aim for title nect season.

dove

This.

Is it though? History shows that we spend more money when we don't qualify for the CL as we lose money and the board don't want that to happen. Also I don't believe it makes us more appealing in any way as we are nowhere near winning any major trophy anyway. If we offer the best terms, we will get the players. Simple.

wolvored

Don't really understand the thing about hating something more than loving how your 'own' club does. Should concern about 'our' own club more than others and by finishing top 4 it will benefit the club in the future.
Agree. At the end of the day if its not Utd winning it, does it really matter? City won it and the world didnt end. We didnt win it for 26 years and eventually Liverpool will win it. Anyone who wishes that we lose or drop points to City are not really fans of Utd.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Yeah give me a Thursday night game at Anderlecht or Celta Vigo over a Tuesday night at Juventus or PSG any day of the week :rolleyes:

Seriously feck the Europa League never want to play in the god awful competition again and feck anybody who wants that for our club

ROFLUTION

Is it though? History shows that we spend more money when we don't qualify for the CL as we lose money and the board don't want that to happen. Also I don't believe it makes us more appealing in any way as we are nowhere near winning any major trophy anyway. If we offer the best terms, we will get the players. Simple.
A big term for some players is CL football though.

freeurmind

weak willed
If our useless bunch who've put in crap performances at home for the past 3 years pull their finger out and beat City at home which allowing Liverpool to win the title, they should all be sold.

LewisWins

Supports
Derby
Hello guys, new here.

The logical choice should be crystal clear: Top 4 above anything else, but when it comes to a historic rival I may understand the feeling behind it even though they ve been living in Utd shadow for 30 +years.

Top 4 equals CL campaign equals 40 millions pound a year, Liverpool for instance got close to 60 millions if I m not mistaken from last year CL, better sponsorship deals , with CL you get better tv rights and so on,there is many benifits to it.

Also you get more money from the premier league finishing 3rd or 4th than 5th or 6th , a lot more actually.

Finally the CL brings prestige , attracts eventually better players & boost team moral going into the new season, always better to play into the biggest competition while avoiding eastern Europe thursday nights.

However, when it comes to Utd and Liverpool no logic applies.

Last edited:

Coxy

Of course playing in the champions league is more appealing. Offering the best terms...?

If it was as simple as you make out - we would have an incredible team already. We don’t.

Coxy

Yeah give me a Thursday night game at Anderlecht or Celta Vigo over a Tuesday night at Juventus or PSG any day of the week :rolleyes:

Seriously feck the Europa League never want to play in the god awful competition again and feck anybody who wants that for our club
Sums it up pretty nicely. I really don’t get how anyone can argue against this.