United and top 4

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I think Arsenal drop points to Watford today. They dont beat Leicester and Wolves as well.
Agree theres a chance of that but for them to get less than 74 points, assuming they win their 2 home games, means they need 1 win, 2 draws and 1 loss from the 4 home games, which is a pretty mediocre return as it is. Itll just be hard for anyone to make it under 75 points imo.

croadyman

No fan can change the outcome anyway.

Our team can't change whether Liverpool or City win the league or the CL, they can only try to win each game of their own.

We don't have a good record against City, or at home, nor really the ability to beat them, except with luck.

You need luck to win things, which Leicester showed most clearly.

It's still possible that Liverpool slip up before then, both crash out of the CL, and that we fluke our way to the Semifinals.

If worse comes to worse, man up, grow a thick skin and deal with it.

Personally I don't want to see us in Europa League next season as playing on Thursdays screws up League form, and several top targets might not come and we will be forced to accept B grade targets, perpetuating the cycle.
Yeah much as I would hate that media love in over Liverpool ending their 29 year wait for a title, I do genuinely believe that missing out on top 4 will mean we can't challenge for the top players available in the summer. I realise it will take a few years to mount a challenge but still want to be in the Champions League next season

simplyared

Hatred for Liverpool being taken too far if you would rather us lose against City and miss top 4, than Liverpool winning the PL. Shouldn't even be up for discussion. Feck Liverpool and feck City. It's what we do that counts!

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
I never post on here but lets clarify this.

Anything but those bastards winning the league. Im 27 and ive never seen it, i never want to.

Does not mean i 'enjoy' any City win. Lets just take the rough for now.

AfroBuffalo

I cringe that people want us to miss top 4 so City win the league over Liverpool. What’s the matter with you?

People saying “I’ve never seen it” as a valid excuse, you’ve probably never seen a game at OT either. I’ve never seen Liverpool win the league either but no way I’d ever give up on top 4, this season especially.

Liverpool are going to win the league eventually, and eventually could be next couple seasons if not this season; so why cut your nose off to spite your face, it’s desperate

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
I cringe that people want us to miss top 4 so City win the league over Liverpool. What’s the matter with you?

People saying “I’ve never seen it” as a valid excuse, you’ve probably never seen a game at OT either. I’ve never seen Liverpool win the league either but no way I’d ever give up on top 4, this season especially.

Liverpool are going to win the league eventually, and eventually could be next couple seasons if not this season; so why cut your nose off to spite your face, it’s desperate
Complete bollocks :lol:

Btw @Utd heap said it above and he goes home and away.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.

My favourite ones are those that don’t live anywhere near the North West of England, or even in the country at all, lamenting about how intolerable their life will be.

Yeah, mate. You’re going to be absolutely swamped in genuine bin dippers on the Monday after aren’t you? It’s not as if it will compare the bitters being cock-a-hoop for another 12 months down every street in town.

AfroBuffalo

Complete bollocks :lol:

Btw @Utd heap said it above and he goes home and away.
Fair enough. I don’t go super often but probably get to about 4 games a season. Used to be more but had 2 little 1s.

Still the point remains, I only see united fans on this site saying they’d rather miss out on top 4 than Liverpool win the league; most united fans I speak to would rather grab top 4, with Liverpool winning the league being an unfortunate outcome of us doing so.

It’s mad how far back we were when Ole took over and to be this close to top 4 is nothing short of remarkable, then you see people saying they don’t want on this site is horrible

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Some of you lot are sounding like Scousers of the last 20-odd years now! They'd have taken anything, even Everton winning the treble, to stop United winning the league.
Hardly. The ev winning the league would probably be the worst thing the world has ever seen.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
We won’t beat city regardless.
Must be fwcking dreadful for your lot. Your season reduced to a question "do we help our local rivals to beat our other rivals to the title at the cost of cl football, and risk an even worse fate if they win the quadruple or do we... Wait, we most likely aren't good enough to affect the outcome anyway..."

Personally I think I wouldn't mind a casual stroll to 2nd/3rd place and a good go at the cups next year if we win it now. My nerves can't handle a race like this against a team who might win it by winning the last 16 league games in a row. Feck Abu Dhabi their cheating ways and pouring state money into club football.

Havak

Pokemon master
It's where we're at.

All this "We are Manchester United, the biggest team in the world, we don't accept finishing second, lalala etc" is long gone.

Learn it.

We are not at that level anymore and it's going to take a considerable effort over the next few years to even begin to change that.

We've had our time at the top, our glory years. It comes in cycles and we'll have to accept a bit of mediocrity - and this level of 'mediocrity' is still something that most teams in the world would wish they could have for just a few years. I've been lucky to only know success as a United supporter, being born just as Liverpool won their last League Title. I am OK with accepting less for a while, it's impossible to stay at the top of the mountain forever and I'll maintain that this isn't a defeatist approach, not at all.

Ekeke

Whats wrong with some of you!?

Reading PL match day thread, people posting stuff like "good shit" after Liverpool scored vs Chelsea. I just dont understand, can you imagine the days and months after Liverpool winning the bloody thing. Just a thought of it makes me sick and i am from Serbia and dont know a single Liverpool fan around me. Put yourself in position of your fellow United fans in England.

Whats up with top 4 shit anyway, are we Arsenal MkII or what?

Let me guess, top 4 means we can attract better players. Ok, how many quality we attracted with our CL participation since SAF? Specially in our case, where, after how many years we still walking blindfolded with almost no progress, no idea behind our football and no vision.

Another can be that if we dont take part of it, we cant win it but lets be real, even this season we are still in it, we scored only one home game in CL, if there wasnt Afro i think, it would be zero. I mean come on. How can you have a go at Glazers or EW, if you have similar thinking as them.

On other side we have Liverpool winning a PL, sorry, majority might not agree with me but if i have to choose top 4 or Liverpool PL champion, top 4 can feck off.
At this stage its more about negotiating power with De Gea and Pogba. I'm not sure we'll attract big big names regardless of whether we get top 4, but we need to get them to sign new contracts else De Gea might be sold this summer to avoid an Ander situation, and then Pogba next season as he has 2 years on his.

As for new players, again its for convincing them that the club can compete and will at least be in the biggest european competition. Its likely to help us keep wages down and get players that other clubs are after too.

The last thing we need right now is to have to pay players an extra 10k-20k wages because they are moving from a champions league club to us and we're not in it. We already have the highest wages and need to trim down.

AndersB

Hatred for Liverpool being taken too far if you would rather us lose against City and miss top 4, than Liverpool winning the PL. Shouldn't even be up for discussion. Feck Liverpool and feck City. It's what we do that counts!
I'd say the 'truth' is somewhere in between. I find the entitled Liverpool YAWN romanticism utterly unbearable myself, the media wankfest included, and I sure as heck hope they bottle it this time too. It does matter what happens to them. But when you get to the point where you wish to get beaten by your city rivals at your own home ground, the ones that did Agueroooooooooo to you a few years back, oil-pimped plastic club as they are, whilst in a fight for CL football next year, then you need to sit back and take a deep breath, because it is simply inexcusable.

OP, you think that is the kind of mentality that is going to make us title contenders again? You think that is the kind of attitude that's going to get a shift out of players like Martial? Feck me.

The Irish Connection

its going to be crap anyway, liverpool being the worse of two evils, I am preparing for it. please don't let either win the cl.
as for top 4, I'm worried, we're not playing well. even if we miss out, I hope somehow we can get the 4 or 5 top players needed to challenge over the next year or two. wouldn't be surprised if the glazers only allowed us to get half of what's needed.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
I'm pretty bored of the obsession with Liverpool losing and people like the OP would rather their own club he supports take a step backwards than pool win the league. It's embarrassing.

Hope we smash City.

mark_a

Liverpool fans have been more bothered about us for the last 30 years. Let's not be dragged into that. But if anyone is wishing Liverpool any ill will (I am) you can probably console yourself that you'll need to put in another couple of decades of bitter obsession to get anywhere near theirs!

Re: Top 4. The priority for United fans has to be to finish as highly placed as possible.

TGK

Supports
Liverpool
The whole 'want to play in the CL' thing should be ignored when it comes to signings. It's a device for players to agitate for a move, or justify a move. It really doesn't matter.

The only thing that matters is coin. It's why players go to China.

I don't blame them for it, who wouldn't want to earn as much as they can?

Look at some of the players signed when teams aren't in the CL.

We all buy into it, but ultimately if you pay more than the next guy, you get the player.

R'hllor

More and more people here mention game vs City, when i made a thread, City never was on my mind. Personally i dont find Liverpool vs Chelsea and Us vs City as the same but thats just me. Like i already said, couldnt understand at the time how can people cheer for every Liverpool goal just because it puts spanners in Chelsea wheel in race for this magical top 4 spot. From Slippy G moment and everything after that to "Get in" when Liverpool score.

TRUERED89

Apparently, wanting your favourite team to take part in the most prestigious club competition makes you a bad fan now or something.
:lol: Exactly, I just want top 4. Liverpool winning the league is our fault partly for being so shite for 6 years! They done us a favour and if we beat Everton on the weekend we're back in! Liverpool will win PL at some point in our lives, lets just focus on our goals and hope even if we beat City at OT that Pool still slip up somewhere!

flappyjay

Exactly all I care about is our progress as a club. If Liverpool winning against Chelsea improves our top 4 chances I will take it.

Chairman Steve

I would happily finish 5th or 6th if it meant the club finally got its shit together. The sceptic in me would think if we finished 4th, Ed would hand OGS a paltry amount to spend and believe that OGS can get decent at best players punching above the weight like Sir Alex did.

bosnian_red

We should name and shame all these supposed supporters who seemingly are more interested in Liverpool losing then United winning. The alternative is fecking City. You would rather United fail for a slightly less hated rival to succeed. fecking embarrassing.

AndyJ1985

We should name and shame all these supposed supporters who seemingly are more interested in Liverpool losing then United winning. The alternative is fecking City. You would rather United fail for a slightly less hated rival to succeed. fecking embarrassing.
It's easy for someone from Canada to say these sorts of things

bosnian_red

Ah yes the classic location meaning someone is more of a red than someone else. Good one. Sorry how the feck can anyone justify hating a different club more than supporting your own club? That's what it boils down to. It doesnt matter where the feck you're from, wanting your own club to fail so a rival also fails is childish, immature, and just shows where your priorities are.

Itd even be somewhat excusable (but still weird) if it was like Chelsea going for the title. But the alternative to Liverpool is fecking City. You'd rather United fail and our second biggest rivals, our local rivals win the league (and beat us at Old Trafford in the process). Its so fecking small time.

lex talionis

The priorities for me right now are crystal clear:

1. Win the CL
  2. Finishing 3rd in the PL

I'm over worrying about Liverpool. At some point they will have their day, but as long as we accomplish either of the two remaining goals for this season I couldn't care less if Liverpool or City lift the PL trophy.

We have to go into the City match with the intent of taking all three points. If it means securing third, or even fourth, place but handing the trophy to Liverpool I can live with that.

Chicharo

The priorities for me right now are crystal clear:

1. Win the CL
  2. Finishing 3rd in the PL

I'm over worrying about Liverpool. At some point they will have their day, but as long as we accomplish either of the two remaining goals for this season I couldn't care less if Liverpool or City lift the PL trophy.

We have to go into the City match with the intent of taking all three points. If it means securing third, or even fourth, place but handing the trophy to Liverpool I can live with that.
No way we're finishing 3rd. It's in Arsenal hands now, they have easier fixture and we don't look like a team who can win against City
Worst case scenario - we beat City, Scousers win the title and we finish 5th

edgar allan

Was always a serious long shot.
We need to win all our games and for spurs to lose twice.....hard to see it.

Foxtrot

Supports
Die Mannschaft
Ah yes the classic location meaning someone is more of a red than someone else. Good one. Sorry how the feck can anyone justify hating a different club more than supporting your own club? That's what it boils down to. It doesnt matter where the feck you're from, wanting your own club to fail so a rival also fails is childish, immature, and just shows where your priorities are.

Itd even be somewhat excusable (but still weird) if it was like Chelsea going for the title. But the alternative to Liverpool is fecking City. You'd rather United fail and our second biggest rivals, our local rivals win the league (and beat us at Old Trafford in the process). Its so fecking small time.
I am not even from Manchester but I can understand and feel the deeply rooted hate and rivalry between Man Utd and Liverpool. This is one of, if not the BIGGEST FOOTBALL RIVALRY.

A true proper Man Utd fan would never want Liverpool to win the title under ANY circumstances. The fact that you got so wound up, trying to name and shame the true Utd fans and calling us out is pathetic and funny. Your location says it all because you know feck all about the rivalry. And if you are actually from England or more specifically Manchester, you wouldn't say this. City is irrelevant, they can win the next 10 titles in a row and no one would give a shit but you have no idea how BIG Liverpool was in the 80s and how much shit United fans had to undergo during those years, it's probably also the main reason why City fans hate us so much. City for the most part, lots of their fans are family and friends. We don't even hate them, we're indifferent to their success whereas Liverpool winning the league would be a disaster, it would also show how far the club has regressed. Maybe this is the wake-up call the club need.

With that being said, I still don't endorse us putting out a weakened team to City so they can get the 3 points easily. I think Liverpool would win the league anyway unfortunately as City's run-in is just a lot tougher than Liverpool. Can't see Liverpool dropping points in any of the remaining games.

IrishRedDevil

Well said.

If Liverpool win the league, I’ll never hear the end of it from family, friends, work colleagues etc.

If City win the league, I’ll not hear a single word about it. I don’t know any City fans.

Reddy Rederson

I am not even from Manchester but I can understand and feel the deeply rooted hate and rivalry between Man Utd and Liverpool. This is one of, if not the BIGGEST FOOTBALL RIVALRY.

A true proper Man Utd fan would never want Liverpool to win the title under ANY circumstances. The fact that you got so wound up, trying to name and shame the true Utd fans and calling us out is pathetic and funny. Your location says it all because you know feck all about the rivalry. And if you are actually from England or more specifically Manchester, you wouldn't say this. City is irrelevant, they can win the next 10 titles in a row and no one would give a shit but you have no idea how BIG Liverpool was in the 80s and how much shit United fans had to undergo during those years, it's probably also the main reason why City fans hate us so much. City for the most part, lots of their fans are family and friends. We don't even hate them, we're indifferent to their success whereas Liverpool winning the league would be a disaster, it would also show how far the club has regressed. Maybe this is the wake-up call the club need.

With that being said, I still don't endorse us putting out a weakened team to City so they can get the 3 points easily. I think Liverpool would win the league anyway unfortunately as City's run-in is just a lot tougher than Liverpool. Can't see Liverpool dropping points in any of the remaining games.
Top red alert. You want us to lose, you are no united fan. No ifs, no buts, no bullshit about where you live. That top red shit is fecking embarrassing.

Reddy Rederson

Well said.

If Liverpool win the league, I’ll never hear the end of it from family, friends, work colleagues etc.

If City win the league, I’ll not hear a single word about it. I don’t know any City fans.
Yeah, cos Im sure they wont have a thing to say about us finishing outside the top 4 yet again. Let be honest, youre getting shit no matter what happens. Until we pull our socks back up, all the bitter bitches in the world that sucked on it for 25 years are gonna be up our arses until we climb back to the top. You dont climb back to the top by letting other walk over you.

Foxtrot

Supports
Die Mannschaft
Top red alert. You want us to lose, you are no united fan. No ifs, no buts, no bullshit about where you live. That top red shit is fecking embarrassing.
Cringe. You're embarrassing. Where are you from again?

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool

Says he can understand the rivalry even if he's not from Manchester. Then proceeds with "your location says it all because you know feck all about the rivalry".

Well done :lol: