United are a top 7 club right now

SinNombre

And are improving with still a relatively low squad age.

Just wanted to throw this out with all the gnawing and gnashing with a City-Chelsea CL final.

We are 5th in the euroclubindex.

We are 5th in 538's rankings.

We need to realize the PL is a tough league and is very strong right now. City are 1st on every ranking, and Chelsea and Liverpool are also both in the top 7 (Chelsea 4th on 538 and Liverpool 6th). Both European finals were all-England affairs in 2019 and likely will again be in 2021 if Arsenal beat Villarreal.

Ole has done a fantastic job, as have the players and we are trending in the right direction. We also played well in the CL, bar couple of halves that we played with low concentration (first half at Istanbul and Leipzig).

ReallyUSA

This...this is the thread you make during one of the most turbulent times the club has been through, and an all English UCL is happening without us while we play in the mini tournament?

Smores

Are we really that insecure. Come on now this is rather RAWK like.

SER19

If you're ole in at the moment, which i am, all you can do is wait and see how next season goes. I think there's a clear upward trajectory and that we're a couple of signings from being able to compete. Had we not collapsed v leipzig we'd have faced Liverpool then a really poor Madrid before a semi opponent in Chelsea.

We're not that far away but i understand why people might feel that seeing city and Chelsea in the final

Welbeckham

Had we not collapsed v leipzig we'd have faced Liverpool then a really poor Madrid before a semi opponent in Chelsea.
I get your point, but I don’t think we could’ve faced Liverpool in the round of 16.

The loss in Istanbul and Fred’s second yellow against PSG were even more influential in hindsight than the worst performance of the season at Leipzig.

Shark

@NotShark
Are we really that insecure. Come on now this is rather RAWK like.
This place is becoming so defensive. Why can't we just agree that while Ole deserves another season, it was disappointing going out in the CL group stages and crumbling at the first sniff of competing for the title when we were top at Xmas.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Strange timing, but the idea behind it is true, we are progressing in the right direction and are a tough match for anyone in Europe right now. Next season will tell us whether or not it will amount to anything under Ole.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
If you're ole in at the moment, which i am, all you can do is wait and see how next season goes. I think there's a clear upward trajectory and that we're a couple of signings from being able to compete. Had we not collapsed v leipzig we'd have faced Liverpool then a really poor Madrid before a semi opponent in Chelsea.

We're not that far away but i understand why people might feel that seeing city and Chelsea in the final
We wouldn't have. Country restrictions. Draw would have been completely different for everyone.

Redfrog

Sure, we need to win trophies now but we are a work on progress and when you see the champions league this years, we really fecked up as we could have been there. Our team is young and lack experience in winning trophies, so they have to prove they can do that when the pressure is on, then we will go from strength to strength.

JuriM

We start off with the Europa League title and move from it on. CL and Prem coming in next 2 years also.

Shark

@NotShark
Sure, we need to win trophies now but we are a work on progress and when you see the champions league this years, we really fecked up as we could have been there. Our team is young and lack experience in winning trophies, so they have to prove they can do that when the pressure is on, then we will go from strength to strength.
Chelsea team is quite young also. It's also not like we don't have plenty of experience. Pogba, Cavani, Matic, De Gea, Martial and Shaw all have different experience winning trophies.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
When is this 'work in progress' done? When is the team 'ready' to challenge for trophies?

R'hllor

:lol: What a actual feck, guess its evolution, from not being able to mention other managers in here without someone taking it as swipe at Ole to creating counter thread to Chelsea vs City CL final.

Traub

We wouldn't have. Country restrictions. Draw would have been completely different for everyone.
Yeah but the tournament has been relatively weak this year IMO. Bayern were probably favourites, and they went out to PSG largely due to injuries. The only other decent team in Europe right now is City - a team we’ve beaten comfortably this season. Overall I think we would’ve had a decent shot at this year’s tournament.

SAFMUTD

Does anyone else has the feeling we could be up there challenging in the UCL?

I don't know if it's just me but I don't rate the current clubs level as anything special. I think this year champion will be the less impressive side in a long long time.

jamesjimmybyrondean

Yeah but the tournament has been relatively weak this year IMO. Bayern were probably favourites, and they went out to PSG largely due to injuries. The only other decent team in Europe right now is City - a team we’ve beaten comfortably this season. Overall I think we would’ve had a decent shot at this year’s tournament.
As if we weren't in the tournament

el3mel

But we didn't. We collapsed when it mattered the most, we lost 3 points to a shit Turkish side and didn't manage a single point from last 2 games when literally this one point would have been enough for us to go through. Talking about hypotheticals doesn't change the fact that we deserved to go out, plain and simple. When we're good enough to not bottle a group stage, we can talk about challenging for CL, because why couldn't this collapse happen in the KO stages as well ?

SER19

I get your point, but I don’t think we could’ve faced Liverpool in the round of 16.

The loss in Istanbul and Fred’s second yellow against PSG were even more influential in hindsight than the worst performance of the season at Leipzig.
Don't know why i thought no restrictions in last 16 this year. In any case its a very weak CL with barca, real, atletico, juve and Liverpool all extremely poor this season. We absolutely killed ourselves in leipzig. Not saying we'd have won but would have fancied us over 2 legs against most teams left in last 16. It was just criminal results in Turkey and Germany

Traub

But we didn't. We collapsed when it mattered the most, we lost 3 points to a shit Turkish side and didn't manage a single point from last 2 games when literally this one point would have been enough for us to go through. Talking about hypotheticals doesn't change the fact that we deserved to go out, plain and simple. When we're good enough to not bottle a group stage, we can talk about challenging for CL, because why couldn't this collapse happen in the KO stages as well ?
Yeah agreed, I should’ve worded it better.

Redfrog

When is this 'work in progress' done? When is the team 'ready' to challenge for trophies?
Just told you, when we start winning trophies. That is the biggest step for a young team. When we have the experience of it, we can build on it. Every United supporter wants to win trophies, but some can see the progress in the mean time. I did not feel the same with Mourinho because now we can all see we are building a young competitive team, which wasn't the case with Mourinho.

BorisManUtd

We've been irrelevant in Champions league ever since the final in 2011. Not saying that we're in horrible position, it's better than say 2016 or 2019 (even with that quarter-final) but it's a long way to go. Maybe this year we could have done something more but have only ourselves to blame for finishing 3rd in group even after beating PSG and Leipzig.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout

I don't know if it's just me but I don't rate the current clubs level as anything special. I think this year champion will be the less impressive side in a long long time.
We were dumped out of the CL, so no?

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Sorry but just no :lol:

can’t even get out of the group stage of CL. Ole has done a wonderful job but let’s pump the breaks

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
We have been shit for too long. Our fans have lost the plot.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
We were dumped after shitting the bed against bloody Bashkir.

Do you rate Chelsea's team above us?
I don't need to rate Chelsea, we were in the competition and failed. It's the proof that we weren't good enough this season.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?

I agree. Fine margins and all that. Qualify from the group stage and you might find yourself all the way through to the CL final.

Didn't Real qualify in matchday 6 in 2017/18? They then went on to win it.

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.

The two best teams of the Champions League are in the final, both are top teams right now, saying the champion will the least impressive side in a long long time sounds like a bitter post to me.