United are back in the Champions League 23/24

Jeffthered

Man, we'll need a big squad. Some serious decisions need to be made.. acting from now, rather than the usual protracted summer transer saga... Have to be a bit ruthless again in terms of building the squad, sorry if that may disappoint some players, but they all have had a chance.

bosskeano

after the result today....they need to back EtH massively this summer

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I’ve got champions league withdrawal symptoms. It’s time we won another one of these isn’t it?

wangyu

We are the the type of club that only reaches European cup finals when we have a truly exceptional squad so I’m not expecting much at this moment. Surviving the group stage would be a success given our recent history.

Withnail

We are the the type of club that only reaches European cup finals when we have a truly exceptional squad so I’m not expecting much at this moment. Surviving the group stage would be a success given our recent history.
I'm sorry but what team are you thinking of?

United failed to get out of the group once the last four times they were in the Champions league going back to 17/18.

The one time they didn't get out of the group was down to shitting the bed away to Besiktas and RB under Ole. Even then they'd looked good for qualification going into the last two games.

wangyu

I'm sorry but what team are you thinking of?

United failed to get out of the group once the last four times they were in the Champions league going back to 17/18.

The one time they didn't get out of the group was down to shitting the bed away to Besiktas and RB under Ole. Even then they'd looked good for qualification going into the last two games.
Man Utd… considering we play Europa League often and fail to win it most of the time it would be a success to survive the CL group stage. Of course I don‘t really mean that, I’m just saying…maybe we should manage our expectations a bit next season in the CL

Theonas

Scout
So true! But I'd argue every club is the same bar the scousers, Real and seemingly Chelsea lately. Bayern won it in years they won the treble and Barcelona only won it 5 times with exceptional teams in all of them.

always_hoping

Toughest group please, we need some big games.
From wanting to "survive the group" to that remark. Time to make up your mind buddy. For me the true test and big games to play are the knock out stages of the CL

Withnail

Man Utd… considering we play Europa League often and fail to win it most of the time it would be a success to survive the CL group stage. Of course I don‘t really mean that, I’m just saying…maybe we should manage our expectations a bit next season in the CL
There's literally zero reason to believe we'll struggle to get out of the group. That's not being realistic, it's being a fanny.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Hope we make it to the semis at least.

Also I'd like for us to get barca in the group stage.

ROFLUTION

There wasn't much quality this year overall I feel, so of course we have a chance to go far imo.

Our biggest problem is however finishing the few chances we get in vital games, I doubt that this will be addressed in the transfer window as we probably wont get Kane.

scottser

unless we strengthen considerably, we're going to get creamed in the CL.

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur
unless we strengthen considerably, we're going to get creamed in the CL.
It's a last 16 side at best unless it's just one of those crazy years when you get jammy as feck.

Better united sides have been knocked out in group stages.

I like being back at the table, but if we plan to be doing the after party with the big hitters, we are some way away.

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur
There wasn't much quality this year overall I feel, so of course we have a chance to go far imo.

Our biggest problem is however finishing the few chances we get in vital games, I doubt that this will be addressed in the transfer window as we probably wont get Kane.
The lack of cutting edge followed by the fact we have a general inability to control games. Even at home we've not been able to show consistent dominance of the ball or pace/flow of the game with any consistency.

dutchred

The lack of cutting edge followed by the fact we have a general inability to control games. Even at home we've not been able to show consistent dominance of the ball or pace/flow of the game with any consistency.
Before making and conclusions let's see what happens with the summer transfers

bosskeano

haha...typical caf. already sinking the ship before the people even get on board. ffs, the fuking window hasn't even opened yet for the summer.

lex talionis

Long cup runs depend on a certain degree of luck. And great sides can get stopped with dodgy as feck referee decisions, such as the Scholes offside call which hosed us and sent Jose through.

wangyu

From wanting to "survive the group" to that remark. Time to make up your mind buddy. For me the true test and big games to play are the knock out stages of the CL
I want the toughest group, utd needs the big games, it are also the games that are the most fun to watch, we probably won't survive it but so be it. For me it doesn't matter if utd crashes out in the first round or in the quarter finals imo. For the people at the club it probably makes a difference but not for me. Ideally we win it next year but I'm not into fantasy.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
I want the toughest group, utd needs the big games, it are also the games that are the most fun to watch, we probably won't survive it but so be it. For me it doesn't matter if utd crashes out in the first round or in the quarter finals imo. For the people at the club it probably makes a difference but not for me. Ideally we win it next year but I'm not into fantasy.
But the further we go the more we have those big games you desire, no?

Care_de_Bobo

We can clearly have a decent run depending on our draw. Us having a manager in his first season in England, being decimated by injuries and suspensions during a crucial part of the season during a winter World Cup year and playing 62 games in total isn't indicative of how next season will go.

We showed that at full strength we'd batter the likes of Seville on a normal day. We won't score 2 own goals and have 3 of our first choice back 4 plus Bruno missing for the second leg of a single tie again unless we're ridiculously unlucky. We beat Barca, City, Arsenal, Liverpool and Chelsea last season so there's nothing to suggest we won't be able to turn up against the biggest teams.

Hopefully our away form picks up though, because that was the biggest area of concern in Ten Hag's first season.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
Piss easy group that we top, favourable last 16 draw, then have a crack at the big games in the latter stages.

Don't see why anyone would want it to be hard early on. Like wanting City or Liverpool in the FA Cup 3rd round

wangyu

But the further we go the more we have those big games you desire, no?
I suppose but by then we’re usually shot which lessens our chances of success. It hurts more crashing out in the semis than in R16.
Anyway I’m not positive at this moment, I don’t think this team is ready for the CL. We’re a Europa League side. I was delighted we drew Barcelona, it’s been a while since we had a game as big as that.

always_hoping

Finishing 1st or 2nd in champions league group means no Europa league football next season that alone should be enough incentive.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
I suppose but by then we’re usually shot which lessens our chances of success. It hurts more crashing out in the semis than in R16.
Anyway I’m not positive at this moment, I don’t think this team is ready for the CL. We’re a Europa League side. I was delighted we drew Barcelona, it’s been a while since we had a game as big as that.
So you’d rather we get eliminated in group stages than say semis, because it hurts less?

Would you rather finish comfortably 4th in the PL than lose the title race by a point and finishing 2nd?

El Zoido

Piss easy group that we top, favourable last 16 draw, then have a crack at the big games in the latter stages.

Don't see why anyone would want it to be hard early on. Like wanting City or Liverpool in the FA Cup 3rd round
I never understood fans who want harder opponents. I’d rather we played the worst teams in the competition right the way to the end, if it makes winning the trophy easier. You don’t get a better trophy for beating tougher opponents.

wangyu

So you’d rather we get eliminated in group stages than say semis, because it hurts less?

Would you rather finish comfortably 4th in the PL than lose the title race by a point and finishing 2nd?
Yes I do. Missing out by a fine margin is hard to take imo. For example the FA cup final 2005 was devastating, the 2 CL finals were also hard to take though I could accept Barca was just unbeatable.

wangyu

I never understood fans who want harder opponents. I’d rather we played the worst teams in the competition right the way to the end, if it makes winning the trophy easier. You don’t get a better trophy for beating tougher opponents.
One of the main reasons that it is much more likely to be able to watch the game when it is a tough draw. Our tv broadcasts one game on Tuesday and one on Wednesday. If utd is in a group with Kopenhagen and PSV then they will not bo on tv. Unfortunately the CL games are not in the EPL package I pay for. The Europa League is so I was actually happy I got to see utd play on Thursdays often in the last decade.

Second reason is I think as a club we only get better if we play tough opponents, there is a pressure when playing Bayern or Real that is very valuable to learn from, our players should be on their toes, they’re just very tasty games.

klsv

haha...typical caf. already sinking the ship before the people even get on board. ffs, the fuking window hasn't even opened yet for the summer.
A day before the window opens but also:

79 days until the draw
80 days until the transfer window closes
98 days until the first match