United are bottom of the league, but are you prepared to see United go backward to go forward?

fastwalker

Both in terms of performances and results there are no real positives to take from our first two matches. In simple terms we are P2 D0 L2 with a GD of -5. Do I think we are going to get relegated this season? No more than I expect Brentford to remain in the top four. It is a sobering thought that sometimes you need to go backwards to go forwards. If that principle applies to United then we should expect that this is going to be a long, painful, frustrating and scrappy season. One where we may well see the likes of Arsenal, Tottenham and Chelsea pull away from us quite significantly. United are in a fight and the first order of business for ETH is to ensure that the players that he picks have the stomach for the fight. Clearly, some are simply not up for that.

Would you be willing to see United go backwards this season if it means that we can go forward next season?

Skills

Snitch
What's the guarantee that we will move forward? It's pure delusion. For some reason some of you have convinced yourself the further back you go, the further forward we'll end up.

It's not like jumping a fecking trampoline you know.

Lee565

If by going backward you mean passing the ball back to de gea then no

tomaldinho1

I’d happily take a Chelsea meltdown season and finish mid table if it allows a reset. Forget anything but a slow, painful building process which will end with, most likely, an entirely new first XI in three seasons.

Vapor trail

New players are needed alongside a new DOF. The players and Murtough must be thrown under the bus before the manager is.

Wilt

I’m walking backwards for Christmas,

Across the Irish Sea….

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
But there are zero signs we're even attempting to forward. The only direction we'll keep on going is backwards

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
What's the guarantee that we will move forward? It's pure delusion. For some reason some of you have convinced yourself the further back you go, the further forward we'll end up.

Think it is more of hope it makes the owners sell up. If by some disaster, don't think it will happen, we got relegated, the income would fall staggeringly.

Irwin99

Yes. I didn't think we'd get top 4 this season anyway but I kinda had my heart set on a Europa League trophy this season and that being the route into champions league football, but so so much at the club needs a change that it's going to take time and probably a lot of difficulty.

M Bison

Supports
York City
Can anyone see where a win is coming from? It'll be an absolute blood bath vs Liverpool, its going to get far worse than today. Relegation is a distinct possibility so thats definitely a backward step.

Lowkey

De Gea (we have no one else)

Dalot (we have no one else), Varane, Martinez/Bailly, Malacia

Erikksen, Garner, Iqbal

Sancho, Ronaldo(c), Garnacho

Play this team. Cant stand the rest.

MonkeysMagic

You cannot force the Glazers out, but if we were in the championship they'd consider it. I hate myself for thinking it but if relegation gets rid of these parasites so be it.

Foritfied

Think it is more of hope it makes the owners sell up. If by some disaster, don't think it will happen, we got relegated, the income would fall staggeringly.
Not a chance they sell even if we are relegated. Only chance is fan pressure getting too hard to ignore; but that atmosphere creates the toxic environment you see our squad laboring in even now. When it manifests as abuse against individual players rather than those in power, that's furthering the decline.

Getting to be a vicious cycle.

Siorac

Even on a trampoline it's possible to just simply break it instead of bouncing back up.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Can anyone see where a win is coming from? It'll be an absolute blood bath vs Liverpool, its going to get far worse than today. Relegation is a distinct possibility so thats definitely a backward step.
I really can't. If we don't beat Southampton or Leeds we could easily get to the 14th game against West Ham with no win.

Liverpool H
Southampton A
Leicester A
Arsenal H
Palace A
Leeds H
City A
Everton A
Newcastle H
Spurs H
Chelsea A
West Ham H

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
:lol:
Feck me, car crash of a thread.

Tyrion

I don't think relegation is a possibility. 6th or 7th is most likely.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Not a chance they sell even if we are relegated. Only chance is fan pressure getting too hard to ignore; but that atmosphere creates the toxic environment you see our squad laboring in even now. When it manifests as abuse against individual players rather than those in power, that's furthering the decline.

Getting to be a vicious cycle.
I know.

Roboc7

I thought we’d get 6-7 points from first six games because of the state of the squad. That now looks optimistic, our upcoming fixtures are even worse. Wouldn’t back us to beat any team in league at moment, especially away from home.

Could have zero points after 5 games and manage already on brink. Expect we’ll be parking the bus pretty soon for a long while.

Marooned

How this club is the highest income football club is the problem with today's world. All they have to do is just win enough. Now that they are not even winning enough I hope the house of cards fall.

Trequarista10

Hiring ETH with our current squad basically means this is inevitable. Until the squad is almost completely overhauled, they won't be capable of doing what he wants.

Only question for me is whether ETH will make some short term adjustments until the squad overhaul is complete. Personally, I think he has to. This may mean playing a back 3, it may mean playing with a deeper defensively line, playing more direct. Top managers have to be flexible, they need to find a way to win, and if that means playing cautiously or pragmatically on occasion then so be it.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
We might get a point against Southampton and maybe three against Leeds if we're lucky.

So 2-4 points after 8 games.

Lecland07

Backwards as in relegation? That would be too disastrous - we wouldn't have loyal, quality players to drag us back to the top league like Juventus had in their time in Serie B.

I don't see how we can go back much farther and not risk that possibility.

Ricardo de la Vega

If we could get relegated and it meant the Glazers sold up I'd be all for it. A year in the championship is what these players deserve tbh.

peridigm

According to analogies and stats that keep flying around, the new season doesn't start until January 1st.

I hope we sign a goal scorer this window because we have none at the moment. Two games in with no goals scored. We could easily be -10 GD after Monday.

Ricardo de la Vega

Hiring ETH with our current squad basically means this is inevitable. Until the squad is almost completely overhauled, they won't be capable of doing what he wants.

Only question for me is whether ETH will make some short term adjustments until the squad overhaul is complete. Personally, I think he has to. This may mean playing a back 3, it may mean playing with a deeper defensively line, playing more direct. Top managers have to be flexible, they need to find a way to win, and if that means playing cautiously or pragmatically on occasion then so be it.
Good post. ETH has a style of football he wants to impose but these clowns can't do it. Until he gets his own squad in, will he adapt?

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
It's really telling when our supposed best team is the worst performers. Then you must go backwards, to move forward. It's no other option really, if we want to move forward. If we don't want to move forward, it's easy.. we keep fighting with these group of players and if Ten Haag can't make the talent work - fire him.:wenger: It will get us nowhere really quick rather than somewhere, a bit more slowly.

paulscholes18

We been going backwards for 9 years, how far back do you want us to go? To the championship

meamth

Not relegated but bottom half would suffice.

If that means we don't get top player signings anymore and play the youngsters, I'm all for it.

RedIke

I'm ready for all of it. Play all the kids, finish 16th. I don't care. Just play the kids and get some of these guys who have been playing out of here by any means necessary.

Aretak

Year after year, season after season people are saying a month in that we have to write this season off and focus on rebuilding. When are you guys going to accept that it will never happen under the club's current ownership? The desire isn't there. They couldn't give a toss whether the team wins or loses. The club will keep on making money despite itself for a long time yet. Liverpool endured decades of failure on the pitch and still kept their profile overseas. The Glazers won't be worried one bit by a mere nine years.

Brazzos1

Would Liverpool , City be accepting this, no way! We are Manchester United the biggest club in the world for goodness sake start acting like it . Glazers out ! Now!

OrcaFat

I really can't. If we don't beat Southampton or Leeds we could easily get to the 14th game against West Ham with no win.

Liverpool H
Southampton A
Leicester A
Arsenal H
Palace A
Leeds H
City A
Everton A
Newcastle H
Spurs H
Chelsea A
West Ham H
No, come on, we’ll get wins here and there. But it is already quite humiliating and I can see us being in the bottom three by the time the World Cup starts. (Unless we sign several high quality players).