United confirm their policy on refunds and season ticket renewals

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
United season ticket update. Good they are thinking ahead. All sounds quite reasonable:

Dear X

As you may be aware from discussions over the past few weeks, there is a firm commitment from the governing bodies to try to complete the domestic season in full.

The coronavirus pandemic has however created an unprecedented situation. While we await final decisions in the hope that scheduled games can still be played in front of fans, we wanted to update you on our planned approach for when decisions are made.

• If all remaining home games are cancelled or played behind closed doors, we will reduce the cost of your 2020/21 Season Ticket (by the value of the four games missed). If you do not intend to renew, please fill in this form and we will automatically issue a pro-rata refund to the card used to pay for your cup match tickets

• If any individual home games are cancelled or played behind closed doors we will automatically issue a pro-rata refund to the card used to pay for your cup match tickets

• To update the card held for cup payments please click below, a guide on how to do this can also be found on the ST Hub

• If matches are postponed, your tickets will remain valid

The Season Ticket renewal deadline, initially 1 May, has also been suspended. This will be continuously reviewed and a new deadline will be put in place once there is confirmation of the start date of the 20/21 season. The club commits to giving as much notice of the revised renewal deadline as possible given the evolving situation.

Please visit ST Hub for daily updates on fixtures and a full statement.

We continue to monitor this rapidly-evolving situation day-by-day. The health of our fans, players and staff is incredibly important to us and we encourage you to continue to follow UK Government health guidelines.

Given the volume of calls the ticket office is currently managing, we would kindly ask you to refrain from calling us at this time unless your enquiry is of an urgent nature – our team are working remotely and will be in touch with all Season Ticket holders over the next few weeks.

Once there is more certainty around the fixture schedule, we will be back in touch to provide further information.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
As a season ticket holder, the fact that the renewal date was the 1st May sticks in my throat anyway. It’s always the same and if we, in a normal season, had an FA Cup semi final and final and perhaps Europa League final together with renewal then the cost of that is insane.
They’ve done the right thing here but every year the renewal date is wrong and seems to creep ever earlier.

As a season ticket holder, the fact that the renewal date was the 1st May sticks in my throat anyway. It’s always the same and if we, in a normal season, had an FA Cup semi final and final and perhaps Europa League final together with renewal then the cost of that is insane.
They’ve done the right thing here but every year the renewal date is wrong and seems to creep ever earlier.
Agree on that @Jeppers7. I see no reason why you should ever be asked to pay for a new season before the current bloody season is even complete. It's twatty from the club and as you say, they have tended to creep it earlier and earlier every season.

This year: 1st May
Last year: 4th May
2017: 5th May
2016: Originally 20th May, moved to 1st June due to FA Cup final.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Id be surprised if all clubs don't have this approach.

Maybe not as early as 1st May but certainly before the end of the season.

My league one lot certainly do. But they at least offer an early bird reduced price. Or lock prices whatever division if homing in on promotion.

macheda14

My league one lot certainly do. But they at least offer an early bird reduced price. Or lock prices whatever division if homing in on promotion.
Yeh I know Fulham did that. If you renewed/bought a season ticket before they got promoted it was significantly cheaper.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
nice to have this confirmed but really any less would have been unacceptable

Prepare to be surprised then pal.

WHU - 31st May
NUFC - 4th July
Liverpool - 24th May
Everton - 28th May
Chelsea - 17th May
Arsenal - 10th June
City - never, just buy when you want (joke)

Can’t be arsed checking the rest.
I usually stick up for the club on ticket issues and feel they often get some undeserved stick. But until 2016, United, like the rest of the league actually had the decency to wait until the current season was over before trying to take your money for another season. There’s only one other team who this season, for the first time want their fans money before the season finishes and that’s Levy’s mob because the feckers need stadium money.
There’s simply no excuse for it.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

WHU - 31st May
NUFC - 4th July
Liverpool - 24th May
Everton - 28th May
Chelsea - 17th May
Arsenal - 10th June

I usually stick up for the club on ticket issues and feel they often get some undeserved stick. But until 2016, United, like the rest of the league actually had the decency to wait until the current season was over before trying to take your money for another season. There’s only one other team who this season, for the first time want their fans money before the season finishes and that’s Levy’s mob because the feckers need stadium money.
May 1st was definitely too early, with 2 home league games originally still to be played. But they're the finest money making operation in the country for a reason!

Mike Ashley supposedly took full payments off Newcastle fans this week for their season tickets
Newcastle’s deadline is one of the latest in the league (July) but yeah, they reckon cuntybollocks Ashley hasn’t suspended those who use payment plans to pay continually, month by month so they have been taking payments now for next season.
The worst thing here is the people who use payment plans tend to those who need the money most.
Does it surprise you with Ashley though if that is the case? I’m sure he’s blame the financing company if true but surely Newcastle have the right to stop that if they don’t even know yet if/when there will be a next season.

Saddy

It's time we heard about the player's salaries and the bare minimum should be a 3 month reduction of at least 50% maybe even a full suspension to subsidise the supporters and lower paid employees at the club. Also the clubs in the lower divisions to help them survive - sadly the weak won't survive.

We will all be paying extra Tax and NI for many years to pay for the financial support and this is the time for the extra wealthy footballers and multi millionaires to give extra back into society - after this passes it will be remembered who did and who didn't.

Stay safe everyone.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout

WHU - 31st May
NUFC - 4th July
Liverpool - 24th May
Everton - 28th May
Chelsea - 17th May
Arsenal - 10th June

Interesting to see the comparison - they really have gone earlier and earlier over time. I'm pretty sure it was June not that long ago

I have a feeling it might be connected to accounting periods and showing more cash in the bank

Mike Ashley supposedly took full payments off Newcastle fans this week for their season tickets
Which is completely unacceptable but not surprising when Ashley has already had to publicly apologise for trying to keep Sports Direct open during lockdown

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I know a Geordie STH, and quite a few of them are on 10 year season tickets, where the money comes out quite early, as it has always done in their 10 years.
I wonder if this is actually a little bit of mitigation to the "Ashley in new low" angle the press like to peddle

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Had a call from ticket office to make sure I had seen the news about renewals - nice that they bothered, although I assume the staff has not much to do at the moment

RedDevilRoshi

Had a call from ticket office to make sure I had seen the news about renewals - nice that they bothered, although I assume the staff has not much to do at the moment
I wouldn’t say that is the case even though there is no football on just now or the foreseeable. They will no doubt have received phone calls & e-mails from people asking for information on renewals, refunds, membership enquiries etc. Even though they sent an e-mail out to all folk that are season ticket holders or have bought tickets for the remaining games of the season, some may not even check their e-mails or will read it but will still phone up for further clarification or complain if it isn’t to their liking.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Newcastle’s deadline is one of the latest in the league (July) but yeah, they reckon cuntybollocks Ashley hasn’t suspended those who use payment plans to pay continually, month by month so they have been taking payments now for next season.
The worst thing here is the people who use payment plans tend to those who need the money most.
Does it surprise you with Ashley though if that is the case? I’m sure he’s blame the financing company if true but surely Newcastle have the right to stop that if they don’t even know yet if/when there will be a next season.
Nah, the people who are denied payment plans for bad credit are the ones that need the money the most. Payment plan = good credit. Doesnt mean youre wealthy but at least you *currently* have control of your finances. (Assumption: you are creditchecked before buying anything on payment plans online in the UK).

THAT BEING SAID: Isnt Mike Ashley just about the worst owner in England? I never hear anything positive about him. Granted I am not interested in Newcastle so I only know what the press writes.

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
Has anyone had any further announcements from the club regarding refunds for the remaining games?

Also, I’m curious to hear what other season ticket holders will be doing in regards to whether or not you will be renewing amongst all this uncertainty.

I really want to renew but I have no idea what is going to happen next season.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
They can't really make any further announcement until there's a definite restart date for this season.
Plus another one for any next season.

I was already fairly certain i was binning my two off after 7 years after a poor personal season where i only got up there twice.

If it's behind closed doors for a half a season, surely they can't sell any tickets for next yeat anyway?

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
What does the average season ticket cost these days?
I pay £703 for mine in the Stretford End Lower, good seats. Think they range from £600-800 though if I recall correctly.

Last edited:

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Has anyone had any further announcements from the club regarding refunds for the remaining games?

Also, I’m curious to hear what other season ticket holders will be doing in regards to whether or not you will be renewing amongst all this uncertainty.

im guessing they won’t be able to process renewals until they know when fans will be allowed inside the ground. Surely they can’t try and sell me my season ticket until that point and say ‘we will refund you any games you couldn’t attend, at the end of next season’ i wouldn’t put it past them though.

RUCK4444

I pay £703 for mine in the Stratford End Lower, good seats. Think they range from £600-800 though if I recall correctly.
I would love to have a pair, would spend that without blinking if I could get my hands on a pair for me and my eldest boy.

Waiting list has always been massive though hasn't it. :(

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
I'm just waiting for them to say there won't be refunds but will give us access to live streams if this season carries on behind closed doors, which non-season ticket holders will be able to access somehow online without paying anyway. I hope I'm wrong as the club have been great throughout the crisis but I can't see them wanting to fork out millions to fans when their income is already down anyway.

I don't think season tickets will even be a thing for next season at this rate, we may just a skip a year entirely.

Member 101269

I've received an email saying the organisation i work for expects lower revenues, they have reserves that are there for these types of events. I have no reason not to renew my 2 season tickets in the south stand at United.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I'm just waiting for them to say there won't be refunds but will give us access to live streams if this season carries on behind closed doors, which non-season ticket holders will be able to access somehow online without paying anyway. I hope I'm wrong as the club have been great throughout the crisis but I can't see them wanting to fork out millions to fans when their income is already down anyway.

I don't think season tickets will even be a thing for next season at this rate, we may just a skip a year entirely.
They already mailed a month or so ago to say you'd get a refund or discount off next season.

They won't go back on that as it'd cause outrage.

The question is whether they try and take season ticket money for next year when there doesn't look to be any hope of attended games for the forseeable.

pascell

I pay £703 for mine in the Stretford End Lower, good seats. Think they range from £600-800 though if I recall correctly.
We pay £850 in the mid tier North Stand/SAF Stand. We were in the North East quadrant when they were first built then they moved us as they made them VIP, great atmosphere in the quadrant as well as it came round from the Stretford End.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout

The club aren't asking anyone to renew and I doubt they will until things are a lot clearer - at the moment the focus is obviously on what's going on this season, until that's clear no one can even think about next season