United Fans Expectation

Trex

Its been nine years since SAF departed, in the time frame United have won the Fa cup, league cup, Europa league and Community shield, with its highest league position being 2nd place twice, the club for most of those seasons have mainly fought for a top 4 spot and haven't sustained a single league challenge all through.
As the years go by everything surrounding the club has become more and more toxic including the fanbase.
Is it time for the club (I mean fans, ex players, media) to accept SAF era is gone and the current united is simply not a good as the likes of City and Liverpool.
Maybe then we can enjoy the "little victories" and allow the club figure out a way to revive itself in a less depressing setting?

Corridor of Uncertainty

That the board can occasionally, even by accident, by law of averages, get one decision correct.

Too much to ask for, I know.

Tavern in the town

Its been nine years since SAF departed, in the time frame United have won the Fa cup, league cup, Europa league and Community shield, with its highest league position being 2nd place twice, the club for most of those seasons have mainly fought for a top 4 spot and haven't sustained a single league challenge all through.
As the years go by everything surrounding the club has become more and more toxic including the fanbase.
Is it time for the club (I mean fans, ex players, media) to accept SAF era is gone and the current united is simply not a good as the likes of City and Liverpool.
Maybe then we can enjoy the "little victories" and allow the club figure out a way to revive itself in a less depressing setting?
Everyone knows we’re not as good as those clubs though. What do you mean by accept? That we should be satisfied with being shite despite having one of the biggest budgets in football and regularly spending hundreds of millions of pounds? (A budget that dwarfs Liverpool's by the way.) I don't see why any rational fan would be okay with that.

Trex

Everyone knows we’re not as good as those clubs though. What do you mean by accept? That we should be satisfied with being shite despite having one of the biggest budgets in football and regularly spending hundreds of millions of pounds? (A budget that dwarfs Liverpool's by the way.) I don't see why any rational fan would be okay with that.
We could stop crying about every decision made and not made, every time Fred gives the ball away, every time Maguire commits a mistake, every time Bruno tries a pass that isn't on, that Haaland wouldn't be coming here, that AWB technical level isn't good enough, that DVB is a nothing player, that Martial will probably return this summer and continue being Martial, that Shaw is overweight and on and on and on.

Chip

Our biggest "hope" of competing regularly again is a takeover by a Saudi prince, a Chinese billionaire, or maybe Elon Musk.
Unless of course UEFA/The FA/FIFA decide to step up and do something.

Until then I guess all we can realistically expect is the odd Champions League appearance and maybe an FA/League Cup win once every decade.

Last edited:

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
Expectations of new season is probably reflecting in Next Manager thread. Most of us want a structure and clear playstyle which is in sync with modern football. Next few season strong top 4 finish is good enough, if we can develop an identity and move towards more entertaining playstyle. Once we have achieved a baseline, then we should start talking about trophies.

MUFC OK

That the board can occasionally, even by accident, by law of averages, get one decision correct.

Too much to ask for, I know.
Indeed. The footballing decision making at this club is beyond shambolic, almost negligent. As fans, I don’t see why we should accept mediocrity given our stature and resources, and considering the fact other clubs in Europe have been competitive without SAF and the likes of Barca are conducting a much more efficient and sensical rebuild now despite their mistakes over the past 5 years.

Trex

Indeed. The footballing decision making at this club is beyond shambolic, almost negligent. As fans, I don’t see why we should accept mediocrity given our stature and resources, and considering the fact other clubs in Europe have been competitive without SAF and the likes of Barca are conducting a much more efficient and sensical rebuild now despite their mistakes over the past 5 years.
If we accept we aren't the best run club then maybe we can enjoy united without expecting too much.
Let's face it the people running the club aren't going anywhere soon.

Lynty

I expect us to be challenging for the league. That won't change until we can no longer financially compete with the league leaders.

That being said. Top 4 is a reasonable expectation for next season given we'll have a new manager.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
To be honest, I don't think anyone even think about a smallest glimpse of the SAF era in current state, we're all witnessing. At this point, finishing teams off like Watford or Boro is a goal yet to be achieved.

Expectations have been reduced to players at least trying to act as professionals.

Zen86

Football is cyclical. We’ll be good again. Then probably shit again after that.

Trex

I expect us to be challenging for the league. That won't change until we can no longer financially compete with the league leaders.

That being said. Top 4 is a reasonable expectation for next season given we'll have a new manager.
You do realize that finance isn't the only resource in the equation, it also include human resources like players, scouts, coaches and the decision makers.
And in all this department we're inferior, the board being a constant makes us inferior to City and Liverpool.

Lynty

You do realize that finance isn't the only resource in the equation, it also include human resources like players, scouts, coaches and the decision makers.
And in all this department we're inferior, the board being a constant makes us inferior to City and Liverpool.
And we have the finances and stature remedy this.

I also disagree that we are as far behind in some of these aspects as most seem to think. Ultimatley, our coaching hasn't been good enough.

MrSingh2002

The board to actually try and put together a decent team.

Is that too much to ask for?

At this point the only thing left to decide is whether the owners/board are really this incompetent or whether they actually don't care about the on the pitch winning stuff.

When you have clubs and teams that are better run than Man United in the bottom half of the Premier League you know you're fecked and there's no 2 or 3 year turn around possible.