United fans - Would you rather City bought Erling Haaland or Lionel Messi this summer?

2ndTouch

Supports
Bayern München
I don't even think Guardiola wants Messi to be honest. To big an ego these days which is probably why barca always sign managers with a smaller rep.
Of course not. Less so because of his ego, more so due to the fact of Messi being over the hill. They'd be weaker with him and his non existent work rate.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Embarrassing how much we cry about other teams here.

Pablo76

Messi to City, CR7 back to us just to spite him and we get Haaland to boot.

OmarUnited4ever

I absolutely don't want them to sign Messi, he would suit their current style perfectly, imagine Sterling & B. Silva on the wings, KdB, Gundogan & Messi central, that's too good (Mehrez & Foden as backups) plenty of goals & assists and you have Messi pulling worldies when the team isnt functioning.

Halaand might do well at city but Messi is almost a certain success (even at his age, we are still talking about someone in the GOAT conversation)

Reactions: golden_blunder

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Messi would be a shorter term thing to endure but do I really want City to be forever associated with one of the all time greats? Think I'd sooner chance them signing Haaland.

Blueman

Supports
Man City
As a City fan we;'re not going for Messi. It's media bollocks.

Headlines the very next day would be "Pep can only win the CL with Messi" - Pep isnt going to allow that.
The board pander to Pep.
The costs (For a 33yr old) would be ott
That money wouldnt then be spent on the future players such as Mbappe/Halland/youthful players
City would become a media circus and Pep doesnt like that imo
Messi ending his career for money doesnt add up - He's got enough, it would be a personal fulfillment sort of club he'd want
The squad at City is harmonious, everyone earns ruoghly the same and there are no prima-donnas
We rejected Sanchez for precisely those reasons of squad harmony

I really hope we break the bank and go for Halland what with his dad already having played for City etc. I can dream

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
I would be devastated if they got Haaland, he is likely to be in the top 5 players in the world for the next 10 years. Messi will only be at the top level for another couple of years and if City get him he will blow their wage structure out of the water even with what they pay players now.

Cast5

United fans - Who would you rather let shag your wife, Leonardo DiCaprio or Brad Pitt?

jeff gurr

Supports
Leicester City
Messi is a fantastic player who is in a natural decline. Nothing wrong with that but it's just the way life works. Haaland is a player for the future while Messi is the past.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Silly question. Obviously Messi. And it has nothing to do with the supposed greatness of Halaand either. I'd rather they sign Messi over Sancho as well. As although Messi is easily the best footballer I've ever seen, he's heading to the fag end of his career. 10 years of a top player Vs 2 years of arguably the greatest not at his greatest, I'd definitely pick the former.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
This thread is rather depressing. Manchester United fans worried about which player City will go for. And nobody in their right mind even thinks that Messi would come to us. How the mighty have fallen. Sigh.

Knux

Supports
AIK Stockholm
Who cares? We go after Mbappé case closed.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
If City, Messi then.

This will double their wage bill, and let us have Haaland instead.

Okey

The things I would rather happen to Citeh are sadly not printable.

Nicolarra90

Messi of course. The move is 3 years late

He might be good or might have a thiago effect.

Would destroy their wage structure and cause internal problems.

tjb

Messi easily. Not jut because of his age, but the return isn't enough for what they would have to pay him. I don't believe either is going there anyway. I think Messi is going to Paris and Haaland will leave the season after. So, if they were available for United, I'd rather save money and potential crippling debt of having messi.

Castia

Messi

Legendary player but he’s coming to the end of his career, by the time he’s settled into life in Manchester he will be virtually retiring.

Haaland will most likely be a goal machine for the next 10 years.

kudiak

Supports
Semen Padang FC
they get Messi, and we go for Haaland, it's fine for me.

Threesus

Messi of course. The move is 3 years late

He might be good or might have a thiago effect.

Would destroy their wage structure and cause internal problems.
Abu Dhabi’s royal family have a net worth of like 800 billion dollars. I don’t think paying Messi’s wages will be a problem. Most likely they will have pay him through other channels like they do with a lot of their players anyway

Threesus

despite being top 5 all time for most goals
Against the top 6 in England. A league where bamford can score for fun.
Strangely Messi has become, dare I say, underrated, the past 3 years. Ronaldo has become more ‘clutch’ and whatnot. He should have moved this summer, shame your board pressured him to stay. He deserves so much more.

Pep's Suit

As a City fan: Messi.

Alongside Diego he's the greatest of all-time, will make only one transfer in his career and I'm confident he can finish next three seasons with 20G+ 10A+ in PL alone.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Strangely Messi has become, dare I say, underrated, the past 3 years. Ronaldo has become more ‘clutch’ and whatnot. He should have moved this summer, shame your board pressured him to stay. He deserves so much more.
I love Messi but it was beyond pathetic how we forced him to stay. That last board has to be one of the worst in history.

GoldTrafford99

In who's head would this even be a debate?

Would you rather our rivals signed a player on the way out...

Or a player who is gonna be hot property for the next dozen seasons?

Personally, I hope they DO sign Messi. Sounds like a terrible signing to me... His appearance in that dressing room will not improve that team at all, and in fact has the potential to screw all of their hard work up seeing as he'd be on at least double the wages of their current highest paid players...

I can't imagine Pep wanting Messi at all... Be shocked if he did sign him.

Last edited:

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Strange thread

anyway it’s easy; Messi. He’s coming to the end of his career and it will cost them a shit load and probably ruin the dressing room harmony when they realise his salary

Renegade

For City to have one of the greatest players of all time wear their top is going to properly legitimise them. Right now even when they're top of the league, no one really cares about them. People will Google Messi for decades, and for him to be in a City shirt will add to their legacy.

I’m not sure about that. Many don’t remember Maradona’s time at Sevilla.
Unfortunately when it’s all said and done City will be considered legitimate to the new generation whether we like it or not .
Pep will be considered one of the best managers of all time and if they win a UCL & Treble which would be more likely with Haaland playing for them for the bulk of his career. Pep will be probably be remembered more for his City achievements than his Barcelona’s.

pablo__p

Of course Messi. They have a well-oiled machine right now in which particular players aren't as important as the collective and lo and behold comes Messi and disturbs that equilibrium :drool: