United fans - Would you rather City bought Erling Haaland or Lionel Messi this summer?

Silverman

City look like they are going to win the league comfortably. They have a very strong squad already.

Just say that they are definitely going to sign Haaland or Messi.
Which would you prefer they got?

I'd rather they sign Messi as I think he seems to be on the decline whereas Haaland is very much on the rise.

However, it is taking a risk of them winning everything around them for the coming years.

Who would ye choose?

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Messi will obviously have the most resale value in 6/7 years time.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Messi , though to have arguably the greatest player ever associated with City is uncomfortable.

Matt851

This is one step away from - would you rather bang your uncle or your aunt

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
For City to have one of the greatest players of all time wear their top is going to properly legitimise them. Right now even when they're top of the league, no one really cares about them. People will Google Messi for decades, and for him to be in a City shirt will add to their legacy.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
Messi, I think the potential for dressing room disharmony is strong with that, when he strides in and starts demanding who they should sign, who he wants to play with etc, I cant see it going down to well with the established players, the level of power he had at Barca simply wouldnt be tolerated by players at a new club, it could be marvellous.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
For City to have one of the greatest players of all time wear their top is going to properly legitimise them. Right now even when they're top of the league, no one really cares about them. People will Google Messi for decades, and for him to be in a City shirt will add to their legacy.
I'd still prefer that to them having a ready-made Aguero replacement

Bocca9978

Hate City and Liverpool threads. Have no interest in what they do.

Crustanoid

To be honest I struggle to see anything City do or achieve with any legitimacy. Their ‘legacy’ is of financial doping, cheating, plastic ‘achievements’ and fans, and the human rights atrocities it was all based upon

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
To be honest I struggle to see anything City do or achieve with any legitimacy. Their ‘legacy’ is of financial doping, cheating, plastic ‘achievements’ and fans, and the human rights atrocities it was all based upon
Yeah, that's what I'm saying. I feel as if having Messi will legitimise them in the future. People will look back at them as more serious if they get Messi.

dinostar77

I can see City getting Haaland though that would be out of character for guardiola to sign a striker like haaland. Last one he signed said he had no balls (zlatan). Messi is more complicated. Either would strengthen them. Despite Messi being in his 30s he's still gonna get 20+ goals and 20+ assists.

Abu Dhabi want Messi more than Guardiola does. Though Guardiola wouldn't say no to Messi, no manager would.

Either would strengthen them, but i wouldnt rule out Laurito Martinez going to City and him hitting the 25+ goal figures that haaland could manage.

Hmmmm. Tough question.

One player who will cost them a fortune, is soon to be 34 and on the decline, and has always struggled outside his home environment vs. a soon to be 21 year old who can't stop scoring wherever he goes?

Dr. StrangeHate

Of course Haaland. Getting Messi on their books will do too much for their image. Halaand is just another good player.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Messi, since I want us to sign Haaland. If city get him they’ll cockblock us and strengthen at the same time.

Welbeckham

Messi by far. He’s 34 in the summer and I’m not sure he has the drive and physique to keep going for long. Plus his wages are huge. Håland without injury problems would be a guaranteed 25 PL goals for eternity.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Can you destroy a wage bill that's indestructable? No matter the public figures, he'll be getting plenty more under the table anyway, just like everyone else in that squad.
Maybe not but you can destroy the morale of the players. You heard the rumblings about United players not being happy with Sanchez wage. How would De Bruyne, Sterling & that feel about Messi earning 4x their wage? Especially if he doesn’t hit the ground running. He’s 34 in the summer, give him a multi year contract at £1m a week. I don’t think it ends well.

Haaland would be unreal for them. I would much rather Messi.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Can we not have threads like this please?

May as well ask which genocide I want to see next.

RedDevilzFox

Its not like Messi wants to come to United. Even if money was not an issue, he will have his pick up of clubs and I am not sure United would be anywhere near the top of his list.

More or less same goes for Haaland. Maybe Ole connection may pay off, long shot though.

GMoore23

I don't even think Guardiola wants Messi to be honest. To big an ego these days which is probably why barca always sign managers with a smaller rep.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
BlueCafe strikes again.

Next up, how many Champions Leagues would you love Liverpool to win?
or "Given the choice what would you prefer, City winning their first CL or Liverpool winning another CL".