United Hour: A Shambles On and Off the Pitch (Brighton Review / Transfer Talk)

AR87

That’s fine, but posters are already writing ETH off after one f-ing match.
I mean, if they are that's very stupid. He's literally just started, and even amid the travesty of the Brighton performance I think there were glimpses and flashes of what we could be if we get the requisite talent in the areas we most need it.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Exactly this. Remove the emotion and, frankly, naivety and the window is going probably how people should have expected.
Nonsense - we have lost 8 players from the squad that started last season, I expected 5/6 signings and at least 3 who are first teamers (Malacia is not for example).

Its really not too much to expect plus with a new manager he needed these players in early - to have only 1 new player who went on tour is a major failing at every level of the club

tomaldinho1

Nonsense - we have lost 8 players from the squad that started last season, I expected 5/6 signings and at least 3 who are first teamers (Malacia is not for example).

Its really not too much to expect plus with a new manager he needed these players in early - to have only 1 new player who went on tour is a major failing at every level of the club
Which player who left was both a regular starter and usually fit?

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
What makes you say that? All of our managers have had a major say in the way the clubs worked - that's why our transfer targets have wildly changed with each managerial change.

I don't doubt that the club revamped its recruiting system - but from everything I can see it's been ignored whenever the push came to shove - big examples being Mourinho signing Matic over Fabinho (a player the club had scouted for years), signing Maguire after rejecting him the year before because Ole/Phelan wanted him.
The manager have all had a say but nowhere near the level of influence that SAF had (and TBF there isnt really any top level managers in the modern game who have that kind of power anymore). Its well known that there was a transfer committee for LvG and Jose who had to agree on targets and that the manager was often vetoed - not until Ole did they introduce a veto vote for the manager.

ETH is actually the first manager since SAF who thus far has got all his own targets - although I get the feeling that we have now gone into panic buy mode with random names thrown at the manager as 'better than nothing' options

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
What relevance is that?

Not only have we lost several important squad members (and Im not even counting the likes of Andreas) but we have cleared a astronomic amount from the wage bill as the likes of Pogba, Cavani, Mata, Matic, Lingard, Henderson were all on big money

tomaldinho1

What relevance is that?

Not only have we lost several important squad members (and Im not even counting the likes of Andreas) but we have cleared a astronomic amount from the wage bill as the likes of Pogba, Cavani, Mata, Matic, Lingard, Henderson were all on big money
You want 3 first team starters. Well Martinez is a starting CB, Eriksen will start…we’re getting another CM (be it Rabiot or whoever) so that’s 3 done. The squad depth part I’m happy ETH seems to be wanting to use youth players, better they get a little game time than someone like Mata or Cavani take up their place on the bench.

We have to think mid-long term. The goal is to challenge for the league, that isn’t happening for at least 2 seasons, probably 3 and that’s if things go well. Iqbal, Savage, Malacia, Mejbri, Garnacho, Pellestri, Garner, Diallo, Shoretire, Elanga won’t all make it but some will populate the squad as depth options and some will make it in the first team - add in 2-3 top level signings every summer and we can do it but it’s not done by panic signing ‘ok’ players who aren’t motivated to be here because there are holes in the squad.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
You want 3 first team starters. Well Martinez is a starting CB, Eriksen will start…we’re getting another CM (be it Rabiot or whoever) so that’s 3 done. The squad depth part I’m happy ETH seems to be wanting to use youth players, better they get a little game time than someone like Mata or Cavani take up their place on the bench.

We have to think mid-long term. The goal is to challenge for the league, that isn’t happening for at least 2 seasons, probably 3 and that’s if things go well. Iqbal, Savage, Malacia, Mejbri, Garnacho, Pellestri, Garner, Diallo, Shoretire, Elanga won’t all make it but some will populate the squad as depth options and some will make it in the first team - add in 2-3 top level signings every summer and we can do it but it’s not done by panic signing ‘ok’ players who aren’t motivated to be here because there are holes in the squad.
Martinez is the right level, Eriksen will play plenty of mins but I see him more as a rotation player and if its Rabiot then he's in the same boat but at least it does strengthen the squad - FDJ would be a clear starter, thats the level Im talking about

ETH actually hasnt used many youth players at all, the youngsters got much less playing time on tour than I expected - he's forced to include some at the moment due to lack of options but I am happy to see them get a chance

Im not expecting to get anywhere near winning the league, at the moment I dont think this squad is good enough to even get Top4 and thats pretty much the first time Ive ever said that !

Rayman96

Supports
Also supports Rangers
No we don’t, we are in the process of restructuring. Hence all the changes the past 6 months in the back room staff. It all started with Woodward getting fired (..yes, my interpretation he was fired, typical how it works with big commercial organizations). The restructuring will also take time. These things are complicated and don’t happen over night.
This is exactly what a spokesman for the Glazers would say.
Just a way of saying you don't understand how things work so shut up as we know best.
We have been waiting 9 years for gods sake, Utd is a football club not some arkship flying to a different solar system.
Maybe with this attitude, our great grandchildren might see us winning the league.

tomaldinho1

Martinez is the right level, Eriksen will play plenty of mins but I see him more as a rotation player and if its Rabiot then he's in the same boat but at least it does strengthen the squad - FDJ would be a clear starter, thats the level Im talking about

ETH actually hasnt used many youth players at all, the youngsters got much less playing time on tour than I expected - he's forced to include some at the moment due to lack of options but I am happy to see them get a chance

Im not expecting to get anywhere near winning the league, at the moment I dont think this squad is good enough to even get Top4 and thats pretty much the first time Ive ever said that !
That’s the catch 22 though, I agree De Jong is the type of elite player (let’s say arguably top 5 in the world in his specific position) but who at that level wants to come here right now? Most players are probably expecting ETH to get sacked this season, it’s also unlikely (in my opinion as it stands) we’ll be in the CL next season.

I don’t think the young players will feature much this season but they’ll be on the bench, get cameos and maybe one or two might get some decent game time. They’re more for next season or after but they are good enough depth.

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
This is exactly what a spokesman for the Glazers would say.
Just a way of saying you don't understand how things work so shut up as we know best.
We have been waiting 9 years for gods sake, Utd is a football club not some arkship flying to a different solar system.
Maybe with this attitude, our great grandchildren might see us winning the league.
Have the club, or not, reorganized, created new positions, sacked staff, employed new staff and are reviewing the way things are done?
I believe a lot of the failings of the club lie with the owners as they are ultimately responsible for the way the club is run. I would also prefer owners with a squeaky clean reputation who just bank roll the club without making profits for themselves. But the facts are that things are finally changing within the club, better late than never I would say.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Cavani - I know he is not fit last season, but fact remain he was our top scorer the season we finish 2nd in the league, and was our best presser up front

Greenwood - (hasn’t leave yet but don’t see him starting games for us in future), he was easily our best youngster and one of our biggest threat up front. We hugely miss him on the right

Pogba - our most talented player. I know he is hot and cold and was hugely inconsistent, but on his days he was almost unplayable

Matic - he is only squad player and can’t last over 70 mins, but he is at times our best holding midfielder last season

In my opinion, our midfield got weaken from already problematic midfield last season, plus the worrying form of Bruno. Our attack got worsen too with Cavani leaving and Greenwood not playing, plus the shite form of Rashford.

tomaldinho1

Cavani - I know he is not fit last season, but fact remain he was our top scorer the season we finish 2nd in the league, and was our best presser up front - he wasn't our top scorer and he could press when he was fit

Greenwood - (hasn’t leave yet but don’t see him starting games for us in future), he was easily our best youngster and one of our biggest threat up front. We hugely miss him on the right - agreed he's a loss but only he is to blame

Pogba - our most talented player. I know he is hot and cold and was hugely inconsistent, but on his days he was almost unplayable - that day last came about 3 years ago, injury prone, not a regular starter

Matic - he is only squad player and can’t last over 70 mins, but he is at times our best holding midfielder last season - he was our best holding midfielder by virtue of also being our only holding midfielder. We are clearly addressing this position actively.

In my opinion, our midfield got weaken from already problematic midfield last season, plus the worrying form of Bruno. Our attack got worsen too with Cavani leaving and Greenwood not playing, plus the shite form of Rashford.
We need to strengthen all areas, the pressing issue is the CM which for years have been neglected because our previous coaches after LVG had no interest in building play through the centre and adopting a possession heavy approach in the opponents half. We are clearly trying multiple angles to get players in here.

The other crucial signing is an ST, we can't rely on Ronaldo and Martial to stay fit, one is ancient and the other is injury prone.

Next season I am certain we will sign a GK, RB and probably, another CB and CM.

croadyman

We need to strengthen all areas, the pressing issue is the CM which for years have been neglected because our previous coaches after LVG had no interest in building play through the centre and adopting a possession heavy approach in the opponents half. We are clearly trying multiple angles to get players in here.

The other crucial signing is an ST, we can't rely on Ronaldo and Martial to stay fit, one is ancient and the other is injury prone.

Next season I am certain we will sign a GK, RB and probably, another CB and CM.
We need 2 midfielders before end of window or will be rotating McFred alongside Savic (reverse psychology with De Jong)

Still think there is a chance of a RB because no way can we just rely on Dalot staying fit for most of the season.

DSG

We need 2 midfielders before end of window or will be rotating McFred alongside Savic (reverse psychology with De Jong)

Still think there is a chance of a RB because no way can we just rely on Dalot staying fit for most of the season.
Dalot is an abysmal defender. If he’s first choice RB, there’s a good chance we’ll finish even lower than 6th. He was partially at fault for both goals v Brighton. The first was completely his fault. If he was TAA in attack, it migh be worth it, but he’s pretty dire with the ball at his feet.

DSG

Latest episode. Feel the joy.
Love your podcast guys. Keep ‘em coming!

Although I don’t agree with everyone all the time, it’s a great mix of opinions of United fans and the discussion can be cathartic. Lastly, the dialogue creates nuance instead of polarized opinions and that’s healthy. Sometimes the internet is to black & white.