United Hour Bitesize: Chris Smalling

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv

Trying a little something here with smaller talking points from the pod.

Do we agree with @Duafc about Chris?

Last edited:

Rish Sawhney

Trying a little something here with smaller talking points from the pod.

Do we agree with @Duafc about Chris?
He’s not consistently diabolical with the ball at his feet. He has periods where he becomes very good with the ball at his feet but he looks ungainly and awkward so people rag on him.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
He’s not consistently diabolical with the ball at his feet. He has periods where he becomes very good with the ball at his feet but he looks ungainly and awkward so people rag on him.
I don't know about that, his awkwardness and constant unpreparedness to receive a pass might make it look worse, but I think it just is that bad.

His body shape is almost always wrong and although passes will find targets, he never hits his man in stride. He constantly kills momentum that way.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
I actually had the feeling that Smalling was being pushed out but perhaps I was wrong since we allegedly turned down Everton

We do seem to have too many CB options though, I suppose there is still a high chance of Rojo leaving before the Euro window closes.

Ibi Dreams

He's a good defender and relatively fit these days, which already puts him well above three of our other centre backs. We'll need him this season for sure. Hard to believe he's been at United for nearly 10 years now. I like him, a worthy squad player imo

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I'm only 10mins in, but I think Rojo was played for two reasons (my theory anyway): shopwindow and to get Lindelof playing on the right side, anticipating Maguire's coming into the side. I don't think Rojo is higher in the pecking order than Smalling. I'd assume it's thus: Maguire-Lindelof-Smalling-Jones-Tuanzebe-Rojo while my preference would be Maguire-Lindelof-Tuanzebe-Smalling and then look to the youth.

wolvored

I think he will be 4th choice. I expect Maguire and Lindelof with Tuanzebe coming off the bench getting regular minutes. Jones Bailly and Rojo will get injured in training next week.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
I actually had the feeling that Smalling was being pushed out but perhaps I was wrong since we allegedly turned down Everton

We do seem to have too many CB options though, I suppose there is still a high chance of Rojo leaving before the Euro window closes.
As with Rojo it was probably because they were only after a 1 year loan deal. If they'd put in a proper bid, Smalling would have probably been shown the door.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
I'm only 10mins in, but I think Rojo was played for two reasons (my theory anyway): shopwindow and to get Lindelof playing on the right side, anticipating Maguire's coming into the side. I don't think Rojo is higher in the pecking order than Smalling. I'd assume it's thus: Maguire-Lindelof-Smalling-Jones-Tuanzebe-Rojo while my preference would be Maguire-Lindelof-Tuanzebe-Smalling and then look to the youth.
Could well be correct - before preseason I assumed Rojo would be sold ASAP, I was surprised to see him start the last preseason game but he could still be sold.

I suppose the rejection of sending Smalling on loan shows he is not totally surplus to requirements, he is a decent defender but not ideal for the new style of the team

I think Jones might be higher than Smalling in the pecking order, we shall find out soon enough

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
He's a complete dud. Hopefully Axel will be first reserve. The less we see of the remaining four the better.