United Hour Podcast - 18/19 Season Preview

Schmiznurf

Caf Representative in Mafia Championship
Host Nik @Rood is joined by Colm @Duafc , Craig @Schmiznurf and Ed @That'sHernandez who discuss the upcoming 18/19 season and their expectations along with a discussion on Mourinho's recent comments and what they think of what he said.

Unfortunately due to the cost and low stats from soundcloud we will probably only be doing podomatic from now on, we may go back to soundcloud but we are discussing it.

Podomatic (for Itunes and Android app subscription): https://www.podomatic.com/podcasts/redcastpod/episodes/2018-08-05T08_20_27-07_00
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/manchesterunitedpodcast/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/United_Hour

As always, a huge thanks for the editor @12OunceEpilogue

Please do like us on Facebook, follow on Twitter and share, re-tweet, post an Itunes review etc - all support is much appreciated!

nazanto

I've been listening to most if not all the podcast. I know some of the guests are really passionate but it kinda bored me when the pod is 1 hour 15 minutes long but there is 1 person that talk for 1 hour and the rest barely talk at all.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
I've been listening to most if not all the podcast. I know some of the guests are really passionate but it kinda bored me when the pod is 1 hour 15 minutes long but there is 1 person that talk for 1 hour and the rest barely talk at all.
Not a fan of the Irish twang then I take it?!

Sometimes I do think maybe 4 people is too many - not always easy for everyone to have their say plus at the moment we all mostly agree so no point in repeating the same thing

Cheers for the feedback anyway, we like to hear all opinions about the pod whether positive or negative

99withaflake

Not a fan of the Irish twang then I take it?!

Sometimes I do think maybe 4 people is too many - not always easy for everyone to have their say plus at the moment we all mostly agree so no point in repeating the same thing

Cheers for the feedback anyway, we like to hear all opinions about the pod whether positive or negative
4 people can work really well on sports podcasts, but hard to have in depth points made from anyone, more a case of getting straight to the point, bouncing off each and being a quickish conversation.

I'll give this a listen this evening!

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
4 people can work really well on sports podcasts, but hard to have in depth points made from anyone, more a case of getting straight to the point, bouncing off each and being a quickish conversation.

I'll give this a listen this evening!
Ye exactly - we have had good shows with 4, depends on the topics etc but I prefer to go in depth which is not always easy with 4

We even tried 5 in the past but that was too messy - I think 3 is ideal, I even dont mind 2 man podcasts but @Duafc in particular is not a fan of that.

let us know what you think after you listen

Schmiznurf

Caf Representative in Mafia Championship
Ye exactly - we have had good shows with 4, depends on the topics etc but I prefer to go in depth which is not always easy with 4

We even tried 5 in the past but that was too messy - I think 3 is ideal, I even dont mind 2 man podcasts but @Duafc in particular is not a fan of that.

let us know what you think after you listen
Aye, we did a few two-man shows together.

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
Good episode lads.

Agree with Colm and Ed that even if he is more positive with the squad and tells them to ignore that stuff, it can still have a negative impact. As far as I'm concerned, Mourinho openly uses press conferences and post-match interviews with the media to send a message to players and manages through conflict when doing so. Even if he had told the players to pay no attention to what he says to the media, he clearly acknowledges that it can have an impact as he uses it to his advantage often enough.

Plus, it can clearly manifest itself into ill feeling from the fans which can no doubt translate to atmosphere in the stadium.

Treating the media with comtempt isn't an excuse at all. He can do that whilst fiercely defending the team, his players, talking about opportunities - a more mature Rashford, Lingard has broken through, Sanchez is more settled and has had a rest, Pogba and Lukaku had great world cups etc. You can do all this without being jovial towards the media, and still send a message to Woodward that we need more.

He's essentially given the players a ready made excuse to fall short this season, and is managing expectations and getting his excuses in early for why it's not his fault. It's not the right way to go about it, and is done from a self-preservation point of view, which is really disappointing. In these cases, perception often becomes reality and it'll be a self-fulfilling prophecy.

VanGaalyTime

Good episode lads.

Agree with Colm and Ed that even if he is more positive with the squad and tells them to ignore that stuff, it can still have a negative impact. As far as I'm concerned, Mourinho openly uses press conferences and post-match interviews with the media to send a message to players and manages through conflict when doing so. Even if he had told the players to pay no attention to what he says to the media, he clearly acknowledges that it can have an impact as he uses it to his advantage often enough.

Plus, it can clearly manifest itself into ill feeling from the fans which can no doubt translate to atmosphere in the stadium.

Treating the media with comtempt isn't an excuse at all. He can do that whilst fiercely defending the team, his players, talking about opportunities - a more mature Rashford, Lingard has broken through, Sanchez is more settled and has had a rest, Pogba and Lukaku had great world cups etc. You can do all this without being jovial towards the media, and still send a message to Woodward that we need more.

He's essentially given the players a ready made excuse to fall short this season, and is managing expectations and getting his excuses in early for why it's not his fault. It's not the right way to go about it, and is done from a self-preservation point of view, which is really disappointing. In these cases, perception often becomes reality and it'll be a self-fulfilling prophecy.
While Mou should certainly be more positive when discussing the players, a lot of his quotes have been taken out of context (Re: the youth players and Sanchez). And Mou also has a point that he can't be expected to do that well this season given the crazy lack of investment in the team. He must have been promised funds for a central defender and full back this summer.

Alock1

While Mou should certainly be more positive when discussing the players, a lot of his quotes have been taken out of context (Re: the youth players and Sanchez). And Mou also has a point that he can't be expected to do that well this season given the crazy lack of investment in the team. He must have been promised funds for a central defender and full back this summer.
He's spent 500m in 2 years, and 80m this summer. How bad can things be? Maybe if he had invested the money he had previously better, then he wouldn't have been so desperate for investment this summer?

Considering the incoming players, the maturity of a young team, the settling of a few big names (Sanchez, Lukaku, arguably Pogba) and another year of coaching and getting them to understand his ideals, an improvement shouldn't only be reliant on a ton of funds being available each and every summer.

VanGaalyTime

He's spent 500m in 2 years, and 80m this summer. How bad can things be? Maybe if he had invested the money he had previously better, then he wouldn't have been so desperate for investment this summer?

Considering the incoming players, the maturity of a young team, the settling of a few big names (Sanchez, Lukaku, arguably Pogba) and another year of coaching and getting them to understand his ideals, an improvement shouldn't only be reliant on a ton of funds being available each and every summer.
The latest data shows Mou has actually spent 295 million since he joined United. This compares with 435 million spent by Pep. You could argue he hasn't invested the money wisely but we're really not on a level playing field here either way. And now it looks as if Chelsea and Liverpool will be spending a lot more this summer. We still don't have a proper left back or a right winger in the team. I don't believe this is Mou's fault. United should be aiming for a Champions League win or league win each season, and we're not going to accomplish these goals if we don't have a left back or a right winger. Coaching can only get you so far. You need quality players as well and I hope we're able to add one or two more this window, otherwise I can see significant agitation from the fans in the not too distant future.

Alock1

The latest data shows Mou has actually spent 295 million since he joined United. This compares with 435 million spent by Pep. You could argue he hasn't invested the money wisely but we're really not on a level playing field here either way. And now it looks as if Chelsea and Liverpool will be spending a lot more this summer. We still don't have a proper left back or a right winger in the team. I don't believe this is Mou's fault. United should be aiming for a Champions League win or league win each season, and we're not going to accomplish these goals if we don't have a left back or a right winger. Coaching can only get you so far. You need quality players as well and I hope we're able to add one or two more this window, otherwise I can see significant agitation from the fans in the not too distant future.
I get closer to £350m but maybe yours is net or I'm missing something, who knows. It's a hell of a lot of money anyway.

Chelsea hadn't spent anywhere near as much 2 seasons ago, nor Leicester 3 seasons ago, nor anyone is any season won before it. You can argue that City will run away with it, but we only play City twice - it shouldn't impact how well we perform against the rest of the table considering the amount of money it is, or look to go far in the Champions League and cup competitions. If it's money alone then we might aswel all go home and not bother.

VanGaalyTime

I get closer to £350m but maybe yours is net or I'm missing something, who knows. It's a hell of a lot of money anyway.

Chelsea hadn't spent anywhere near as much 2 seasons ago, nor Leicester 3 seasons ago, nor anyone is any season won before it. You can argue that City will run away with it, but we only play City twice - it shouldn't impact how well we perform against the rest of the table considering the amount of money it is, or look to go far in the Champions League and cup competitions. If it's money alone then we might aswel all go home and not bother.
I take your point about Chelsea and Leicester. But Chelsea had all the pieces in place already (and other teams were in terrible shape) when they won the title at a canter, and Leicester won the league because they found a lad called Kante out of the French second division. It isn't money alone that will make the difference, for sure, but when we're trying to compete with a team that invests like City or plans ahead like Liverpool, we need to be better at bringing in the right players regardless (to a point) of price. Teams like Fulham, Wolves and Everton are investing significant amounts in their team to close the gap to the top and by stagnating we're allowing the gap to get smaller. Hopefully we bring in Alderweireld to protect our current position in the league. But we do need to be a little more proactive I feel, both on and off the pitch.

That'sHernandez

Ominously close to getting banned
Thank you for listening!

I think like Nik said there would be a bit more back and forth if we weren’t largely in agreement. Is there anything different you would like to see (hear) in the pod or anything we can do to maybe spice it up a bit?

I know we all are keen to make the pod appealing to as many people as possible so any constructive criticism and suggestions is always welcome!

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
I take your point about Chelsea and Leicester. But Chelsea had all the pieces in place already (and other teams were in terrible shape) when they won the title at a canter, and Leicester won the league because they found a lad called Kante out of the French second division. It isn't money alone that will make the difference, for sure, but when we're trying to compete with a team that invests like City or plans ahead like Liverpool, we need to be better at bringing in the right players regardless (to a point) of price. Teams like Fulham, Wolves and Everton are investing significant amounts in their team to close the gap to the top and by stagnating we're allowing the gap to get smaller. Hopefully we bring in Alderweireld to protect our current position in the league. But we do need to be a little more proactive I feel, both on and off the pitch.
Really its only City that have spent more than us in past few years and even then transfer fees only show a part of the picture as you have big players like Zlatan and Sanchez where the fee is nothing - wage bills are actually far more important in assessing how much a club invests in the squad and at last count we are basically equal with City at £260m/year:
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/jun/06/premier-league-finances-club-guide-2016-17

Anyhow the likes of Fulham, Wolves and Everton are not really the clubs we need to worry about and of the top6 its only Liverpool who have spent any big money this summer and most of that is reinvesting Coutinho cash anyway.
Jose has a point but goes a bit OTT with his moaning about transfers, after all we got knocked out of the CL by Sevilla with a tiny budget compared to ours

Still I will be surprised if we dont buy anyone tomorrow, although Im not sure CB should be our top priority and that is the crux of the problem - its not really about how much has been spent rather what it has been spent on.