United Hour podcast - Devils Held by Saints (Southampton draw)

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Nik (@Rood), Alex (@Alock1) and Jamie (@Vault Dweller) get a reality check after United equal the all time away record but drop points at St Marys. Focus on Martial and Matic after their first starts and yet again the midfield causes controversy. A summary of several loan deals for our Academy players, & a look ahead to another away match to the Wanderers of Wolverhampton! Enjoy troops!

Listen to the episode on our new hosting site, Sport Social! - https://podcast.sport-social.co.uk/podcast/united-hour/

Also please share, tweet, follow and all that good stuff
Apple: https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/united-hour/id902792476
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/manchesterunitedpodcast/
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/unitedhour/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/United_Hour
Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/UnitedHour

Let us know what you think of the pod troops - agree or disagree on the points made? Questions for next week?

Don't forget to visit https://uk.manscaped.com/?redirect=1 and get 20% off plus Free Shipping when you use the code UNITEDHOUR - Don't miss out!

Last edited:

croadyman

So worrying these same three problems keep cropping up with Ole isn't it

Swedish_Plumber

I totally get the questioning of Ole, but the momentum shift was down to individual errors from Maguire to start, then wayward passing from our ‘midfielders’.
Now that can be addressed in game by Ole with subs which is why I understand the criticism, but the players also have to perform to a level themselves.
Our forwards looked dangerous anytime we actually got them into good positions. It’s clear as day that we need deep lying playmakers who consistently keep the ball whilst moving it forward quickly.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rood

croadyman

Great editing troops.

Aye, it was a frustrating game yesterday with issues we have seen before.
If you weren't sure what I meant it's STILL not playing Donny, no DM signing last summer and keeping the poor coaches

Vault Dweller

If you weren't sure what I meant it's STILL not playing Donny, no DM signing last summer and keeping the poor coaches
The VdB is getting bizarre. No game time at, he may very well be sold if we aren't going to make any money elsewhere. A CM has to be signed, it's paramount for me.

croadyman

The VdB is getting bizarre. No game time at, he may very well be sold if we aren't going to make any money elsewhere. A CM has to be signed, it's paramount for me.
Quite frankly we needed the DM last summer with that money then a tempo controlling CM this summer too

croadyman

Aye the gap of not having a proper DM has been staring us in the face for ages. The depth in midfield is crap if we aren't using VdB there.
Yeah so gutting when you see Chelsea have got three quality options in that area

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Will feel so low about our prospects if we do nothing yet again, is asking for ONE proper DM and a tempo CM too much to ask
If you are asking for 2 new midfielders then yes it is too much to ask !

croadyman

If you are asking for 2 new midfielders then yes it is too much to ask !
Wouldn't have been had we actually bought the DM last summer as clearly Ole doesn't know why he bought Donny, horrible to see the scousers, Chelsea & City have THREE quality options in that role and we have none which really stings

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Wouldn't have been had we actually bought the DM last summer as clearly Ole doesn't know why he bought Donny, horrible to see the scousers, Chelsea & City have THREE quality options in that role and we have none which really stings
I have no idea what 3 quality options you think the others have but Yes Donny is still a bit of a mystery, I really thought he would get a chance this season

Generally I am ok with McFred though, Matic was the issue on Sunday

Vault Dweller

Chelsea being linked to Saul as another option for the midfield. If that happens they would have crazy depth.

We seem to be linked a bit more heavily with Camavinga but Romano hinting that depends on outgoing, possibly VdB. Rice an option too if Lingard plus cash is accepted by West Ham according to Mitten.

God I love transfer season :drool: :lol:

croadyman

I have no idea what 3 quality options you think the others have but Yes Donny is still a bit of a mystery, I really thought he would get a chance this season

Generally I am ok with McFred though, Matic was the issue on Sunday
Ok I will tell you

City (Gundogan, Rodri & Fernandinho)

Chelsea (Kovacic, Kante, & Jorginho)

McFred are decent squad players but sorry they should not be starting for Utd

croadyman

Chelsea being linked to Saul as another option for the midfield. If that happens they would have crazy depth.

We seem to be linked a bit more heavily with Camavinga but Romano hinting that depends on outgoing, possibly VdB. Rice an option too if Lingard plus cash is accepted by West Ham according to Mitten.

God I love transfer season :drool: :lol:
Got so much time for you because can clearly see the problems at the club and I respect that

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Ok I will tell you

City (Gundogan, Rodri & Fernandinho)

Chelsea (Kovacic, Kante, & Jorginho)

McFred are decent squad players but sorry they should not be starting for Utd
Fernandinho is actually older than Matic and people say hes too old - Kovacic is not a defensive mid

I believe we would have won the match with McFred

croadyman

Fernandinho is actually older than Matic and people say hes too old - Kovacic is not a defensive mid

I believe we would have won the match with McFred
Yeah difference being he doesn't look it on the pitch and has able backups in those two to stop that happening

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Props to whoever sorted out the new intro and music. The whole thing sounds a lot more professional and slicker, to my ears anyway. Great pod as usual.

croadyman

Happy to admit I am and wish Nik could see the problems too but ah well, guess he is from our school of fans that believe in backing your players and manager no matter how frustrated you feel about things

Last edited:

Morpheus 7

Good pod, contrasting opinions. As Alex says Ole's subs are usually too late and predictable. His in game management is poor, his subs rarely impact games and rarely changes our shape. Lingard coming on isn't a bold sub Nik in my opinion, he had Covid at the end of pre season and Donny is clearly more fit and what we needed. Shocking result and we didn't deserve to win. Huge respect for the work you lads do, keep it up.

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
Props to whoever sorted out the new intro and music. The whole thing sounds a lot more professional and slicker, to my ears anyway. Great pod as usual.
Fully enjoyed the listen as always.

They have become a something I look forward too, cheers lads.
Thanks both! I think @mckenic sorted the new music so props to him.

If you have any suggestions on how we could improve or what you'd like to see, let us know.

Alock1

Good pod, contrasting opinions. As Alex says Ole's subs are usually too late and predictable. His in game management is poor, his subs rarely impact games and rarely changes our shape. Lingard coming on isn't a bold sub Nik in my opinion, he had Covid at the end of pre season and Donny is clearly more fit and what we needed. Shocking result and we didn't deserve to win. Huge respect for the work you lads do, keep it up.
Yeah.. suck it Nik.

And cheers mate - any suggestions on what we should add or do differently - shout.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Happy to admit I am and wish Nik could see the problems too but ah well, guess he is from our school of fans that believe in backing your players and manager no matter how frustrated you feel about things
I criticise when its fair, said on the pod I wasnt happy with the line up - Martial in particular has had far too many chances by now. VdB should have started ahead of Matic too

But its early in the season, no need to over react - we made 2 great signings and they havent been integrated yet

xG suggests we should have won pretty easily but I think that stat did flatter us TBF

AFAIK Lingard didnt have any COVID symptoms - just had to isolate due to positive test so I dont think fitness was an issue. I thought it was bold to replace a very defensive holding mid with a winger - Ole tends to go like for like unless we are losing, but I did say it was too late and agree that Ole still need to improve on the game management

Alock1

I criticise when its fair, said on the pod I wasnt happy with the line up - Martial in particular has had far too many chances by now. VdB should have started ahead of Matic too

But its early in the season, no need to over react - we made 2 great signings and they havent been integrated yet

xG suggests we should have won pretty easily but I think that stat did flatter us TBF

AFAIK Lingard didnt have any COVID symptoms - just had to isolate due to positive test so I dont think fitness was an issue. I thought it was bold to replace a very defensive holding mid with a winger - Ole tends to go like for like unless we are losing, but I did say it was too late and agree that Ole still need to improve on the game management
Do you know what our xg was in the 5-1 against Leeds?

Yorke to Cole

I agree that our "engine room" needs a new source of freshening up. It needs a new source of dynasism that is going to allow us to progressively build attacks and dominate matches for linger periods of time.

BT, I listened to a podcast prior to the Euro's starting and you said you "expected France or Portugal" to win the tournament. You said Italy were impressive in a warm up against Czech Republic, and were dark horses and could go far.

Reactions: Rood

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Do you know what our xg was in the 5-1 against Leeds?
Yes :yawn:

I agree that our "engine room" needs a new source of freshening up. It needs a new source of dynasism that is going to allow us to progressively build attacks and dominate matches for linger periods of time.

BT, I listened to a podcast prior to the Euro's starting and you said you "expected France or Portugal" to win the tournament. You said Italy were impressive in a warm up against Czech Republic, and were dark horses and could go far.
We know our onions !

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Assume you think the 5-1 was incredibly flattering then, should have only won by 1 goal at most
Well I'm sure we would all have been happier if both matches followed the xG !

Not flattering though - just some outstanding moves and finishes

Vault Dweller

I'm glad I threw the Italy prediction in for the Euros, won me some money and a new tag on here! :lol: :D