United Hour podcast - Goodbye Ole (Watford defeat)

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
And so, the final curtain...a poignant episode to say the least as Ole departs United. Join Nik (@Rood), Colm (@Duafc) & Jamie (@Vault Dweller) as we pore over the sacking itself, Ole's leaving video, where did it all go wrong and what should we be expecting next? Enjoy troops!

Listen to the episode on our new hosting site, Sport Social! - https://podcast.sport-social.co.uk/podcast/united-hour/

Also please share, tweet, follow and all that good stuff
Apple: https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/united-hour/id902792476
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/manchesterunitedpodcast/
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/unitedhour/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/United_Hour
Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/UnitedHour

Let us know what you think of the pod troops - agree or disagree on the points made? Questions for next week?

What are your opinions on Ole / memories / feelings now he has left? What do you hope to see now and who should replace him? Let us know!

Don't forget to visit https://uk.manscaped.com/?redirect=1 and get 20% off plus Free Shipping when you use the code UNITEDHOUR - Don't miss out!

Lyng

Very good episode. And nice to hear and fair assessment of Ole. He did a lot of good and will always be a United legend, even if he wasnt the man to get us to where we need to be. He definately prepared a much better foundation for the next manager, compared to every other post Ferguson manager.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Very good episode. And nice to hear and fair assessment of Ole. He did a lot of good and will always be a United legend, even if he wasnt the man to get us to where we need to be. He definately prepared a much better foundation for the next manager, compared to every other post Ferguson manager.
Exactly - real shame to see so much disrespect and brainless comments around the forum

Ole made mistakes and deserves criticism for that, but sad to see the amount of bile spouted at a club legend by many of our fans

Livewire1974

If it moves, report it.
Great pod lads, thanks. Very balanced assessment of our situation. Loved Colms comment towards the end about the sadness that Ole never got to win a trophy as manager.

Lyng

By the way I got a good laugh out of Nick trying to shut down the positive Brendan Rodgers talk :P The utter terror in his voice from the thought of him managing United was fantastic. (I dont want him either)

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
By the way I got a good laugh out of Nick trying to shut down the positive Brendan Rodgers talk :P The utter terror in his voice from the thought of him managing United was fantastic. (I dont want him either)
Yes - I was worried the Glazers might be listening!

To be fair to Jamie, i think he was more trying to protect the honour of the SPL than Brentan which is fair enough

We actually spent far too much time talking about managers we can't get (Conte) or don't want (Rodgers) rather than the likes of Ten Hag and Poch that most of us would be happy with

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020

To be fair to Jamie, i think he was more trying to protect the honour of the SPL than Brentan which is fair enough

We actually spent far too much time talking about managers we can't get (Conte) or don't want (Rodgers) rather than the likes of Ten Hag and Poch that most of us would be happy with
Correct :D

croadyman

So gun to the head who do you prefer out of Ten Hag & Pochettino, just said in his thread I worry about Erik fitting our structure.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
So gun to the head who do you prefer out of Ten Hag & Pochettino, just said in his thread I worry about Erik fitting our structure.
Probably Ten Hag but I'm happy with either - Ajax great results in the CL this season show that their run to the semi in 2019 was no fluke (ironically it was Poch who stopped them)

I liked Poch all the way back to Soton days and wanted him even when we got Jose, still that slight doubt around him not actually having won anything though

croadyman

Probably Ten Hag but I'm happy with either - Ajax great results in the CL this season show that their run to the semi in 2019 was no fluke (ironically it was Poch who stopped them)

I liked Poch all the way back to Soton days and wanted him even when we got Jose, still that slight doubt around him not actually having won anything though
Yeah I can understand that doubt, what is your take about whether or not Ten Hag fits our old fashioned structure

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Yeah I can understand that doubt, what is your take about whether or not Ten Hag fits our old fashioned structure
Our board is always going to be an issue for any manager but Ten Hag comes from an old fashioned kind of club with focus on academy so it doesn't need to be a deal breaker

Tropical Bob

Love Ole. He made football fun for us for a while. I never expected him to be the next greatest manager, and I was happy with the progress that we were making, feeling like we were playing attacking football again, but I didn't expect us to go in to a stall the way we did. I couldn't work it out in the end because even if the management wasn't the best, we still should have been playing batter than we were. It's a real shame in a way but I don't want to see it that way. Ole loves Utd and he did make positive changes and he's a legend to me.

Red Caf is as 'social-media' as I get so I'm not aware of what's been said on Twitter etc. People say and do stupid things when in large groups, and Twitter is probably a good example of that. I'm glad that Manchester United fans are a classier bunch than some other clubs, and Solskjaer will always get a warm welcome at Old Trafford. I'd be happy to see him remain involved with the club in some other capacity and wish him all the best for the future.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
@Rood off topic... can you please let me know (here or via PM) more about this "good news managers". Sounded kinda intresting.
Well its not even off-topic since its all relevant to Ole and basically its about managerial styles (and this relates not just to football but all sports, business etc) and how important confidence and psychology is

A 'good news manager' is one who breeds positivity - he tells all his players they are world class and that together we can win everything. Players of course love this and it creates a great team spirit with players who are ready to run through brick walls for their manager.
That kind of team spirit is also a major reason for all those comeback victories.
That's why you saw even at the end of Ole's time the likes of Bruno telling the fans not to blame Ole and that its a collective failure.

As mentioned on the pod, previously we had Jose who is literally the exact opposite and rules by fear and criticism which he hopes will push a player to improve.

The most successful man managers need a bit of both and there was always question marks about whether Ole had a 'hairdryer' in him - reports suggest he did when needed but maybe not enough.

Unfortunately this season the 'good news' ran out and the run of results broke that team spirit to an irreparable level - when even Maguire was questioning the team belief then it was clear that only a change could rebuild it.

TypeR

The question is, would it have made a difference if we’d somehow won the UEL last season? Right now, everybody can point and say that we won nothing with Ole at the wheels, but with a trophy under his belt, would his tenure be seen differently, or perhaps even bought him slightly more time this season?

Its a very bizarre turn of events from last season to this. We played some good games last year, and despite having added some real quality to the side over the summer, the football is worse, the tactics are worse, and whatever dynamics we had are gone. I‘ve never seen a team regress the way we did over the course of a summer despite adding several obviously World Class talents. It’s almost as if the entire coaching team just decided that we have too much quality to lose and stopped doing any coaching after we got Ronaldo, Sancho, and Varane.

Last edited:

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
The question is, would it have made a difference if we’d somehow won the UEL last season? Right now, everybody can point and say that we won nothing with Ole at the wheels, but with a trophy under his belt, would his tenure be seen differently, or perhaps even bought him slightly more time this season?

Its a very bizarre turn of events from last season to this. We played some good games last year, and despite having added some real quality to the side over the summer, the football is worse, the tactics are worse, and whatever dynamics we had are gone. I‘ve never seen a team regress the way we did over the course of a summer despite adding several obviously World Class talents. It’s almost as if the entire coaching team just decided that we have too much quality to lose and stopped doing any coaching after we got Ronaldo, Sancho, and Varane.
Don't think the win would have given Ole anymore time but would certainly keep some of his harshest critics at bay.

For me Ole's reign has been the most enjoyable in the postFergie era, if he'd won the Europa then that would be undeniable but now it's debatable.

It is difficult to understand how things managed to get so bad this season. I put a lot on the poor form of Maguire and Shaw - as well as the 'Euro hangover', perhaps they have not mentally recovered from losing 2 finals on penalties in quick succession