United Hour Podcast - Day Bright Robbery

slyadams

I didn't agree with the assertion that Ole gets a pass because he's had so many injuries. Surely you see a manager's innovation and ability to coach and be tactically astute when missing key players. We struggle against bottom half club when still fielding a team worth 10 times more than the opposition.

Last edited:

DVG7

I didn't agree with the assertion that Ole gets a pass because he's had no many injuries. Surely you see a manager's innovation and ability to coach and be tactically astute when missing key players. We struggle against bottom half club when still fielding a team worth 10 times more than the opposition.
Just to clarify, I don’t think he deserves a pass, the record speaks for itself. It’s more a case of wanting to at least experience what it’s like to have our best possible xi start 10 games in a row under Solskjaer, as there’s been some evidence that our best team can play attractive football and get results.I can’t remember a period in the last few years where we put the same team out for 4/5 games in a row. It may even have been during the OGS honeymoon phase. Our attack compares favourably with Liverpool’s, our defence is looking more solid now, and if we could just put out a consistent midfield of mctominay, Fred, pogba/Bruno then it’s a strong team that picks itself. Footballs a fickle sport, we could put our strongest 11 out 4 games in a row, win them all and then the narrative changes again, and all of a sudden the ole in camp has some old faces.

slyadams

Just to clarify, I don’t think he deserves a pass, the record speaks for itself. It’s more a case of wanting to at least experience what it’s like to have our best possible xi start 10 games in a row under Solskjaer, as there’s been some evidence that our best team can play attractive football and get results.I can’t remember a period in the last few years where we put the same team out for 4/5 games in a row. It may even have been during the OGS honeymoon phase. Our attack compares favourably with Liverpool’s, our defence is looking more solid now, and if we could just put out a consistent midfield of mctominay, Fred, pogba/Bruno then it’s a strong team that picks itself. Footballs a fickle sport, we could put our strongest 11 out 4 games in a row, win them all and then the narrative changes again, and all of a sudden the ole in camp has some old faces.
OK, I understand your point. I suppose the counter would be does that mean if he does get good results with his first choice 11, then next time he gets a couple of injuries we should expect regaulr losses against bottom half opposition? I could understand if he was winning ugly with a bunch of injuries. Or if we at least looked like we had a plan and a style of play that survived some injuries. Or even if we lost the occasional game. But we've lost a third of our games and mostly play apalling football.

My position is probably clouded that I was against Ole coming in at the start, which means that I view his current situation through the lens that, quite frankly, I don't think he's a good manager.

DVG7

OK, I understand your point. I suppose the counter would be does that mean if he does get good results with his first choice 11, then next time he gets a couple of injuries we should expect regaulr losses against bottom half opposition? I could understand if he was winning ugly with a bunch of injuries. Or if we at least looked like we had a plan and a style of play that survived some injuries. Or even if we lost the occasional game. But we've lost a third of our games and mostly play apalling football.

My position is probably clouded that I was against Ole coming in at the start, which means that I view his current situation through the lens that, quite frankly, I don't think he's a good manager.
Any manager would find the same issues with our current squad, the overall quality just isn’t there so when members of that first XI do get injured, the drop off in quality is massive.

if ole was sacked tomorrow I’d be ok with it, would be hard to argue with.

buckooo1978

If we had the choice tomorrow of a proven coach like Poch who improves his players and his team is greater than the sum of its parts

We had very sporadic improvement in one or two players under Ole but the team is certainly less than the sum of its parts. Fred's quotes tell you all you need to know about a lack of squad harmony.

It shouldn't really be a tough decision if Poch is available

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
If we had the choice tomorrow of a proven coach like Poch who improves his players and his team is greater than the sum of its parts

We had very sporadic improvement in one or two players under Ole but the team is certainly less than the sum of its parts. Fred's quotes tell you all you need to know about a lack of squad harmony.

Spot on

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
I tend to agree that the winter break is really boring. But what, according to you guys, would be the best way to prevent player burnout? Except for eliminating cups ofcourse.
No replays, no 2 leg semi would help - although I realise that replays are often vital money spinners for smaller clubs

Ole does get some criticism as well as he could have rotated more, especially in some cup games where I felt he went stronger than needed

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout

We didn't get to discuss the Fred quotes, but I personally think they have been blown out of all proportion with a lot 'lost in translation' - I don't see any disharmony in the squad at all, in fact completely the opposite

Don't agree either that only 1 or 2 improved under Ole - Fred, McTominay, Rashford, Greenwood, Williams are absolutely clear. There are others as.well but more debateable

Still I am a big Poch fan and his availability is the one thing which makes me waiver in my Ole support - despite the 'never won anything' tag

buckooo1978

We didn't get to discuss the Fred quotes, but I personally think they have been blown out of all proportion with a lot 'lost in translation' - I don't see any disharmony in the squad at all, in fact completely the opposite

Don't agree either that only 1 or 2 improved under Ole - Fred, McTominay, Rashford, Greenwood, Williams are absolutely clear. There are others as.well but more debateable

Still I am a big Poch fan and his availability is the one thing which makes me waiver in my Ole support - despite the 'never won anything' tag
lost in translation is a throwaway dismissive excuse really though

We've been sold the idea that behind the scenes Ole is reinstating 'the United way'. It's painting a picture that he is laying foundations and we are making progress behind the scenes in spite of the poor quality of football and results.

The Fred quotes totally undermine this, the fact he's even broke ranks to do so undermine Ole. Players having different objectives doesnt point to unity of idea or a plan. Rather it suggests Ole has little control about what's going on.

I think the quotes are focused largely on midfield and the more creative part of our team. Those impressive counter attacking wins aside we've looked really blunt in most games and we were restricted to long range, low percentage, low xg chances against Wolves - Ole of course still considers these as 'chances'

It will be interesting to see how Ole deals with Fred.... we really can't afford to drop him but Ole won't be happy.

on improving players...I'm not sure you can give Ole credit for Greenwood and Williams - what we've seen is their natural ability as they've broken through - there's no base evidence to show they've improved - the other 3 you are right.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
lost in translation is a throwaway dismissive excuse really though

We've been sold the idea that behind the scenes Ole is reinstating 'the United way'. It's painting a picture that he is laying foundations and we are making progress behind the scenes in spite of the poor quality of football and results.

The Fred quotes totally undermine this, the fact he's even broke ranks to do so undermine Ole. Players having different objectives doesnt point to unity of idea or a plan. Rather it suggests Ole has little control about what's going on.

I think the quotes are focused largely on midfield and the more creative part of our team. Those impressive counter attacking wins aside we've looked really blunt in most games and we were restricted to long range, low percentage, low xg chances against Wolves - Ole of course still considers these as 'chances'

It will be interesting to see how Ole deals with Fred.... we really can't afford to drop him but Ole won't be happy.

on improving players...I'm not sure you can give Ole credit for Greenwood and Williams - what we've seen is their natural ability as they've broken through - there's no base evidence to show they've improved - the other 3 you are right.
Nothing will happen to Fred because its just media making up shite as usual, even when things are in English they twist everything so I don't trust them at all to give an honest translation - did you see these comments from someone who actually understands the interview?

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/men...gest-problem-this-season.453254/post-25278670

Last edited:

VanGaalyTime

Great pod boys!

I agreed with most of the points made even if I'm slightly more pessimistic about the current season, particularly given our remaining fixtures. Throughout the season I've been bouncing around between the extreme Ole out side and the extreme Ole in side, and I think that's most just because I loved him as a player (a calculation I'm sure the owners made in the hiring process). I think I have to stick with an Ole out position now though. As you mentioned on the Pod, we're just not improving enough week to week tactically. We're seemingly making the same mistakes match after match -

- Not getting enough players in the box during a break - leaving Martial or Greenwood competing against 6 or 7 defenders alone
- Isolating AWB in attacking positions so that he inevitably loses the ball when two or three players converge on him (few intelligent runs from the right wing)
- Conceding almost a goal a game from set pieces - against Burnley some basic movement by Chris fecking Wood confused the feck out of Maguire for 0-1. Against Liverpool we had Brandon Williams trying to block a moving tank in Van Dijk for 1-0.
- Not having any attacking threat from our own set pieces. We must be the only team in the league still doing the curl the ball to the front post and hope for a touch routine circa 2003-2004. No wonder Maguire looks so meek this season (although he's missed one or two sitters).
- Continually playing Andreas as if he's going to contribute to the team. The guy can cross, that's his best (only?)attribute. If we played him on the right wing, I'd be fine with it, but at 10 or 8 we might as well be playing a man down.
etc, etc.

It's also now getting to the point in the season where you see just how poor some of the teams are at planning throughout the year. United have been unlucky with injuries but some strange decisions at the boardroom level, and within the coaching team, have left us pretty short this year. While I'm optimistic about a lot still at United - Brandon Williams, AWB & Mason Greenwood have been exceptional in desperate times, Scott Mctominay before his injury was becoming a leader in midfield, and Rashford is becoming a 30-40 goal a season player - there's still too much going wrong.

As you guys alluded to in the pod, we knew we were lacking a striker from August onwards - were we not scouting leagues throughout the globe ready for a January purchase? If so, is Ighalo REALLY the best available? This season is clearly a write-off, particularly in the league, but if I was attending Old Trafford every week I'd feel far more insulted about the board's actions and their lack of commitment. Hopefully Bruno works out, because it seems as if we're pinning our hopes on him immediately for the rest of the season at least.

Looking forward to the next pod! Hopefully to go over how Ighalo scored the winner from the bench at Stamford Bridge!

Last edited:

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Ye a Scottish gremlin no less :wenger:
They are the most notorious :D

Excellent episode again guys. Agree on the point about Ole rarely having the chance to field a full 11 with all the key players fit. Think Bruno will end up being a great signing and I'm confident heading into Monday's game. I blame the fact the last game I attended we won 4-0 and has given me much (maybe misplaced) optimism :lol:

I also agree the Winter break is boring. And regarding the cups, why not just structure how it is up here in Scotland? The League Cup competition is done and dusted by December, meaning in the new year there is only the Scottish Cup and League domestically. I think having the League Cup final by the end of November / start of December would solve a lot of problems.

Vault Dweller

Guys in the next pod, maybe ask everyone the question I have just posed in a thread:

Who was your United hero growing up / when you started following the team? What made you pick that player?

Interested to hear fellow fans views.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Guys in the next pod, maybe ask everyone the question I have just posed in a thread:

Who was your United hero growing up / when you started following the team? What made you pick that player?

Will try to remember for the next one

Bring On City! (Chelsea / Bruge / Watford / Everton)

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Finally got a new episode for you, should have been out a couple of days ago (recorded it Monday night) but had sound issues - a great job from @mckenic on the edit means you can hardly tell thankfully

So you get me, Colm @Duafc and David @DVG7 looking back at the good run of form since the winter break.
Focus on Bruno, Martial, Lindelof and a resurgent Luke Shaw.
Finish with a preview of the Manchester Derby.

All comments welcome and if you are on Apple then please give us a review as that helps with all the internet snizzle !

DVG7

Just want to clarify my position on Luke Shaw. His united career is synonymous with being a united fan as of late, you see glimpses of how good it can be, only to have a few weeks disappointment on the trot. Seems to have responded well to the Brandon Williams threat, which is a great sign of someone’s character in my book. If he keeps up his current levels, he should be in contention for a starting spot for England soon enough.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Just want to clarify my position on Luke Shaw. His united career is synonymous with being a united fan as of late, you see glimpses of how good it can be, only to have a few weeks disappointment on the trot. Seems to have responded well to the Brandon Williams threat, which is a great sign of someone’s character in my book. If he keeps up his current levels, he should be in contention for a starting spot for England soon enough.
His main issue is fitness - as soon as he has a run of games he shows his potential but like many of our defenders (Bailly, Jones, Rojo etc) his progress is always hampered by injuries

Anyway more interesting is your change of end of season prediction from 5/6th to 3/4th. You have now taken my place as the optimist of the podcast team !

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Interested in your thoughts on Dean Henderson and whether he should start next season, seems to be a big talking point on redcafe. Maybe something to talk about next podcast?

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
His main issue is fitness - as soon as he has a run of games he shows his potential but like many of our defenders (Bailly, Jones, Rojo etc) his progress is always hampered by injuries

Anyway more interesting is your change of end of season prediction from 5/6th to 3/4th. You have now taken my place as the optimist of the podcast team !
You were the least optimistic of all of us. "Dour Nick" they would say.

Vault Dweller

Loved the new episode boys. Can tell youse all must be buzzing with 4 of you on the episode :lol:

To start with, on the atmosphere - When I went to the Norwich game and was in the J stand bit, I thought the atmosphere was brilliant. All of us stood up non stop for the game and constantly signing and I loved it. Through the TV the atmosphere sounded amazing on Sunday and long may it continue!

City game - Magnificent win, was very nervous watching the last 15 mins but went absolutely mental when McSauce scored. First half I was very impressed with the way we worked opportunities and caused City a lot of problems. Thought the penalty decision was bizarre and was a nailed on penalty. Second half I thought we stepped off too early but I thought we defended excellently, and really restricted City to few opportunities. I thought Ole made subs at the right times, and Ighalo was mint when he came on and offered us a lot. Although I wouldn't have minded Ighalo being on a bit earlier.

Players

Wan-Bissaka - Unbelievable performance. All that needs said.
Fred - Most improved player by an absolute mile. Performance on Sunday justified why he should be POTY in my opinion. His yellow card was infuriating :mad:
Bruno - He shushed Pep and struts around the pitch like a fecking boss. What a fecking brilliant player.
Martial - Enormous performance.
Shaw - Personally I thought he was great, and his recent renaissance has been brilliant.
James - Yes his decision making was poor at times but I thought he was much better on Sunday. Pleased with that.

VAR

MAKE IT LIKE FECKING RUGBY!!! Stop mucking about with crap rules, make it like Rugby where the referee refers to the VAR for clarification on decisions. Simple :houllier:

Ole

Absolutely buzzing for him. Just shows that when players are back fit and new players are integrated, we start playing better and with more confidence. He's revitalised so many players and others have definitely impressed which is brilliant.
Can't wait to see where we are in say 6 months time but really impressed with him recently. Well done Ole and long may it continue please.

Bruno

:devil::drool:

DDG

I thought he was excellent on Sunday. I'd still keep for another 12 months and let Henderson go back on loan to Sheffield United. Still think it's a big step being very well all the time for Sheffield United to doing it from United every week. Even look at his reaction after McSauce's goal on Sunday, he seems far more happy at the moment and there is always very little disruption from him. Definitely keep as he is still great for me.

Chong

Get out on loan. Could definitely be a player there but needs to be playing to see what he can develop into over the next 12 months.

Cheers boys!

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Interested in your thoughts on Dean Henderson and whether he should start next season, seems to be a big talking point on redcafe. Maybe something to talk about next podcast?
Covered in the new episode that Im just going to post up

You were the least optimistic of all of us. "Dour Nick" they would say.
You must have me confused with someone else! You still hate Martial?

This Is How It Feels To Beat City (Manchester Derby special)

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
So you lucky lot get 2 pods in a week to make up for the lack of output last month - 4 man pod with me, Colm @Duafc , @Raees and David @DVG7 celebrating doing the double over City for the first time in a decade.

Chat on some new contracts for Chong, Matic and Grant plus some early transfer muppetry on Jude Bellingham.

Finishing off with a preview of LASK and Spurs matches

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
VAR

MAKE IT LIKE FECKING RUGBY!!! Stop mucking about with crap rules, make it like Rugby where the referee refers to the VAR for clarification on decisions. Simple :houllier:
What exactly happens in rugby? I'm not much a fan of egg chasing !

Vault Dweller

What exactly happens in rugby? I'm not much a fan of egg chasing !
Basically the TMO is the equivalent of the VAR in football. However, in Rugby the referee is still in total control of the game.
So, if a try is scored / issue on the field happens, the referee will referee to the TMO and ask very specific questions. The TMO then cannot deviate from the specific questions that the referee asks.

For example, if a team scores a try and the referee wants to check something, he could say to the TMO 'I'm more than happy to award the try, but please could you check to see if there is any reason that I cannot do so?'
The TMO then checks the grounding of the ball / was there a forward pass and so on. He will then tell the ref either 'you may award the try' because they cannot see any issues or 'you cannot award the try for reason X' and then explain why.
Additionally, there are the screens in Rugby so the ref will watch the replays and if they see anything themselves they will get it checked too.
Finally, the TMO only engages with the referee FIRST when there is an explicit reason to do so, e.g., they have spotted a violent infraction on the pitch or have spotted a forward pass in the build up. Rugby has had plenty of time to practise with the TMO sure, but it is often very accurate and if the TMO cannot make a decision, the referee has the final say and they tend to go with his on-field decision. This tends to minimize the potential for controversy.

This could EASILY be applied to Football. Say to the VAR that they cannot intervene unless the referee has explicitly asked them to check something, or then because of a violent action on the pitch. Encourage the ref's to start talking more to VAR, as in if they have ANY doubt, refer to the screen or discuss with the VAR and ask them to check for offside / handball / whatever it may be. At the moment it is as if the VAR is terrified to disagree with the ref unless it is 100% blatantly obvious there is an error. They should be encouraged to work together to make the most accurate decision, but the final responsibility lies with the ref and give them back complete control. Take what Rugby has practised and implement it as closely as possible.

And you should watch it mate, it's awesome :D

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
"Ole sucked the poison out" :lol: yeah, Pogba just got injured and has barely played this season. Instead of not reinforcing midfield positions like we did in previous years we've actually bought a player who synergises with the league and understands how to put a platform down and grow to it within a playing group. It is legitimately stupid that we didn't bring him in before the season started.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout

Recording tonight and will finally get a chance to answer this !

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Open to any suggestions of questions/topics to cover in the podcasts while there are no matches on

nikineil

Open to any suggestions of questions/topics to cover in the podcasts while there are no matches on
Given Man Utd site showing old United games. Could you ask the team which is their favorite game of all time? Does not have to be one though. :angel:

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Given Man Utd site showing old United games. Could you ask the team which is their favorite game of all time? Does not have to be one though. :angel:
Will cover this on the next show - we just about managed to fill an hour talking shite about the current crazy times and focused on the question from @Vault Dweller this week

Vault Dweller

Will cover this on the next show - we just about managed to fill an hour talking shite about the current crazy times and focused on the question from @Vault Dweller this week
Thanks for that guys, listened to the pod earlier and it was great hearing your opinions! Can imagine it’s difficult without football and trying to fill an hour so I’ll think of some more topics for you to chat about :)

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Thanks for that guys, listened to the pod earlier and it was great hearing your opinions! Can imagine it’s difficult without football and trying to fill an hour so I’ll think of some more topics for you to chat about :)
feel free - I think there is plenty in the history bank to keep us going about favourite players, matches, goals etc

I see the likes of Talksport and SSN are still managing to fill whole days worth of programming with chatting shite about nothing !

Vault Dweller

feel free - I think there is plenty in the history bank to keep us going about favourite players, matches, goals etc

I see the likes of Talksport and SSN are still managing to fill whole days worth of programming with chatting shite about nothing !
Will do mate!

Was thinking about a subject such as what are the best games of football you have ever witnessed? Can be either games that you have witnessed while being at the game or watching on TV, and I'm curious to see if there are any obscure games. For example, one game that massively stands out for me was the Derby in 09-10, the 4-3 game. I had just moved to uni and the pub was packed with United fans, was an amazing atmosphere and the place went bananas when Owen scored the winner in stoppage time. Something to think about!

And aye you're right, some of the stuff they are filling their days with really is awful though :lol: