United Hour Podcast - Day Bright Robbery

Mission Accomplished (End of season review)

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Nik, Colm and David G celebrate our triumphant end to a strange Premier League campaign, as we take third and secure our place in the Champions League next season. The lads take stock of our season under Ole, discuss potential ins and outs over a shortened transfer window and their expectations for the conclusion of what we hope will be our last Europa League campaign for some time.

Spotify link in the OP or download here:
https://unitedhour.transistor.fm/episodes/united-hour-mission-accomplished

Squeaky Bumtime

Another great podcast, as expected.

Great ending to the season and great run with which we caught Leicester and leaped over Chelsea and secured our CL spot deservedly so. Lot of praise for Ole, he succeeded after a long and troublesome season in which there were a lot of doubts about him and calls for him to be sacked. Finally it's obvious there is something on the footballing side of it and it isnt just our players playing for themselves or waiting some big moment from our most talented players.
Players have evolved, our game has evolved and our youngsters are being given chances and taking them. This team has so much potential it gives you goosebumps.
I do agree with Colm, I think it was him, that he needs to improve his handling of the team some more. I get why he persisted with the same lineup as much as he could in the run since the brake but next season he should manage the team a bit better so near the end of it we dont have players dead behind their eyes (first time I heard this expression and it's a great one :D ). Then again in this window we should add players and widen our bench some more so we dont have to run our first 11 into the ground.
Also tactically I think Ole and the staff have improved which is obvious on the pitch and its clear we're working on our technical part of play (unlike under Mourinho where it was more about strength). Part which he must improve is, as it was said on the cast, is subbing. With 5 subs allowed next season he should be more proactive and a bit quicker on the trigger, weather it's tiredness or we're losing a game so he needs to change things up.

Which leads us to the bench. Fred and Mct should have played more. They're not direct replacements for Bruno, Pogba and Matić but they add something different and they're ideal to freshen the midfield or to close games when needed. Neither is a classical DM but what they do add is grit and strength in defense and connecting our lines and giving the ball to our front 3, especially Fred. Fred proved before the break he's a good player but he is a confidence player who needs games. So he needs game, didnt get much after the brake and his quality again fell a bit. And there's that question about his exact position and role in our play too. He's a good squad option who needs to be kept if he's ok with being a sub. Scott hasnt been that good either since the brake but he needed games too and he's a young player.

Our attacking options are fantastic now, with adding Sancho it will be a dream, I feel giggles just by thinking about it. :D Love how you guys refer to Sancho as being ours already. :)
I dont think we need a CB and even if Ole is thinking about adding one it should be on the bottom of the list. After Sancho we should get some younger version of Matić and a fullback, on the left Williams is a Shaw replacement (although he's right legged) but Wan Bissaka doesnt have a replacement and it seems Ole doesn't trust Dalot.

Wan Bissaka already upped his offensive game but not by much. I think he's still unsured of his offensive abilities and a lot of his troubles are in his head. I agree with Steve that the way we play should give him a lot of chances for a cross or a quick ball across the goal which he loves.

Anyway I'm excited for the next season, upward and onwards lads! :)

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Great pod as always boys :) Fair play to David for his bold prediction!

It is incredible when you think about it really, 14 points and 20 odd goals or so behind Leicester at one point so to turn that round is brilliant. I appreciate they had players missing for the run in but we had players missing earlier in the season for large parts so it's just one of those things, Leicester are unfortunate theirs happened at the absolutely wrong time.

On the Leicester game, I was worried about the line up we had due to tiredness as we discussed previously, but I understood we needed one big final effort to get us over the line. The game how I expected to be honest, with both sides nervy and not wanting to make a mistake and I agree that I don't remember DDG having too much to do. Aye they hit the bar, but I don't remember us being too troubled. I thought Lindelof had a great game too. On rotation, I reiterate what I said before, Ole clearly doesn't trust the squad players to help contribute to getting us top 4 and the results earlier in the season show that he was correct. The squad depth absolutely must be addressed in the transfer window. Evans tackle was a shocker, he wins the first tackle but the next one where he is stretching is really bad, deserved straight red.

Agree with Colm on the similarities between Klopp's first couple of seasons at Liverpool and Ole, that Klopp also had to get rid of a lot of players and bring his own in to build a squad.

Feel bad for Fred and McTominay and I do think they should have been played more, but I also think that when they do play you can see the level of the midfield definitely drops. I would expect they get far more games next season but I can't see either of those making themselves a genuine starting 11 player.

I'd give the Europa League a free hit. As much as it would be great to win it and be a great feather in the cap for Ole, I think we desperately need the rest. If we go deep into the competition, unless the Premier League give us special dispensation for more time off, we will then be heading straight into a full new season. There are also international matches at the start of September, so playing the starting 11 from the QF's onward could be a real issue regarding fitness and injuries. I'd mix the team with fringe players and starters and treat the tournament as a pre-season and not take it too seriously. Next season is going to be mega compressed, think about loads of league games and league cup games and CL games before Christmas, then in the New Year again with league games, potential CL games and FA cup games and International games also mixed in. Any chance to give some of the starting 11 time off is invaluable.

Tierney is class. My brother is a big Celtic fan so I have managed to watch a lot of him over the last 3 years or so, and when Arsenal were getting him I wanted to see us go for him, despite his injuries. He is absolutely mint, and if he can stay fit he will be one of the best full backs in Europe. Frankly, with them both fit, Tierney is a better full back than Robertson for me.

When you guys planning for the next one? After the LASK second leg and a look at the transfer window?

Last edited:

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Another great podcast, as expected.

Great ending to the season and great run with which we caught Leicester and leaped over Chelsea and secured our CL spot deservedly so. Lot of praise for Ole, he succeeded after a long and troublesome season in which there were a lot of doubts about him and calls for him to be sacked. Finally it's obvious there is something on the footballing side of it and it isnt just our players playing for themselves or waiting some big moment from our most talented players.
Players have evolved, our game has evolved and our youngsters are being given chances and taking them. This team has so much potential it gives you goosebumps.
I do agree with Colm, I think it was him, that he needs to improve his handling of the team some more. I get why he persisted with the same lineup as much as he could in the run since the brake but next season he should manage the team a bit better so near the end of it we dont have players dead behind their eyes (first time I heard this expression and it's a great one :D ). Then again in this window we should add players and widen our bench some more so we dont have to run our first 11 into the ground.
Also tactically I think Ole and the staff have improved which is obvious on the pitch and its clear we're working on our technical part of play (unlike under Mourinho where it was more about strength). Part which he must improve is, as it was said on the cast, is subbing. With 5 subs allowed next season he should be more proactive and a bit quicker on the trigger, weather it's tiredness or we're losing a game so he needs to change things up.

Which leads us to the bench. Fred and Mct should have played more. They're not direct replacements for Bruno, Pogba and Matić but they add something different and they're ideal to freshen the midfield or to close games when needed. Neither is a classical DM but what they do add is grit and strength in defense and connecting our lines and giving the ball to our front 3, especially Fred. Fred proved before the break he's a good player but he is a confidence player who needs games. So he needs game, didnt get much after the brake and his quality again fell a bit. And there's that question about his exact position and role in our play too. He's a good squad option who needs to be kept if he's ok with being a sub. Scott hasnt been that good either since the brake but he needed games too and he's a young player.

Our attacking options are fantastic now, with adding Sancho it will be a dream, I feel giggles just by thinking about it. :D Love how you guys refer to Sancho as being ours already. :)
I dont think we need a CB and even if Ole is thinking about adding one it should be on the bottom of the list. After Sancho we should get some younger version of Matić and a fullback, on the left Williams is a Shaw replacement (although he's right legged) but Wan Bissaka doesnt have a replacement and it seems Ole doesn't trust Dalot.

Wan Bissaka already upped his offensive game but not by much. I think he's still unsured of his offensive abilities and a lot of his troubles are in his head. I agree with Steve that the way we play should give him a lot of chances for a cross or a quick ball across the goal which he loves.

Anyway I'm excited for the next season, upward and onwards lads! :)
Cheers mate - sounds like you agree with much of what was said, although my opinion is different on what's needed in the squad to move to the next level . CB still top of the list for me Even if only because we always have at least 2 injured! Then an attacking option, hopefully Sancho.
Whereas have plenty of strong midfield options now so not a priority area to buy, Matic is not ready for retirement just yet but maybe next summer.
FB is also ok for me, Dalot likely to leave and Laird can be AWB backup.

Either way the main thing that is that Ole needs to be backed by the board to do what he needs

Great pod as always boys :) Fair play to David for his bold prediction!

It is incredible when you think about it really, 14 points and 20 odd goals or so behind Leicester at one point so to turn that round is brilliant. I appreciate they had players missing for the run in but we had players missing earlier in the season for large parts so it's just one of those things, Leicester are unfortunate theirs happened at the absolutely wrong time.

On the Leicester game, I was worried about the line up we had due to tiredness as we discussed previously, but I understood we needed one big final effort to get us over the line. The game how I expected to be honest, with both sides nervy and not wanting to make a mistake and I agree that I don't remember DDG having too much to do. Aye they hit the bar, but I don't remember us being too troubled. I thought Lindelof had a great game too. On rotation, I reiterate what I said before, Ole clearly doesn't trust the squad players to help contribute to getting us top 4 and the results earlier in the season show that he was correct. The squad depth absolutely must be addressed in the transfer window. Evans tackle was a shocker, he wins the first tackle but the next one where he is stretching is really bad, deserved straight red.

Agree with Colm on the similarities between Klopp's first couple of seasons at Liverpool and Ole, that Klopp also had to get rid of a lot of players and bring his own in to build a squad.

Feel bad for Fred and McTominay and I do think they should have been played more, but I also think that when they do play you can see the level of the midfield definitely drops. I would expect they get far more games next season but I can't see either of those making themselves a genuine starting 11 player.

I'd give the Europa League a free hit. As much as it would be great to win it and be a great feather in the cap for Ole, I think we desperately need the rest. If we go deep into the competition, unless the Premier League give us special dispensation for more time off, we will then be heading straight into a full new season. There are also international matches at the start of September, so playing the starting 11 from the QF's onward could be a real issue regarding fitness and injuries. I'd mix the team with fringe players and starters and treat the tournament as a pre-season and not take it too seriously. Next season is going to be mega compressed, think about loads of league games and league cup games and CL games before Christmas, then in the New Year again with league games, potential CL games and FA cup games and International games also mixed in. Any chance to give some of the starting 11 time off is invaluable.

Tierney is class. My brother is a big Celtic fan so I have managed to watch a lot of him over the last 3 years or so, and when Arsenal were getting him I wanted to see us go for him, despite his injuries. He is absolutely mint, and if he can stay fit he will be one of the best full backs in Europe. Frankly, with them both fit, Tierney is a better full back than Robertson for me.

When you guys planning for the next one? After the LASK second leg and a look at the transfer window?
Well I'm totally with you on mixing it up for the Europa, good time to try a few young players and put a couple of others in the shop window. Although I realised that winning it would make us a CL seed, whereas we are Pot2 at the moment so worth winning of course

I think the plan is a transfer window pod maybe just before Europa starts up - I'll probably not be on it as I can't be arsed to follow most of the transfer rumour mill. My rule is that, until it's on BBC Football (and not the gossip page) it's all bollocks!

Squeaky Bumtime

Cheers mate - sounds like you agree with much of what was said, although my opinion is different on what's needed in the squad to move to the next level . CB still top of the list for me Even if only because we always have at least 2 injured! Then an attacking option, hopefully Sancho.
Whereas have plenty of strong midfield options now so not a priority area to buy, Matic is not ready for retirement just yet but maybe next summer.
FB is also ok for me, Dalot likely to leave and Laird can be AWB backup.

Either way the main thing that is that Ole needs to be backed by the board to do what he needs
Yeah I agree with most what you guys said. :)
As for CBs, new one would come in handy, I just feel 2 or 3 other positions should come first. Saying that our CB could be better. First choice are Maguire and Lindelof but after that Bailly who is always injured and Tuanzebe who's coming back in what September? Also jury is still out on TFM if he can be at least useful squad member. What will happen with Jones, will we finally sell him. :D

In midfield if we're wont go for Matić replacement in the long run this transfer window maybe Ole should give some chances to Garner?
And I heard lots of good things about Laird. So maybe ideal would be to throw him into to fire so to say too. :)

I forgot EL part. I'm somewhere in the middle between playing with backups and younguns all 4 games (of course if it will be 4) and going all in for the trophy. Of course LASK game is ideal for giving our best players a brake but after that we should go with a mixed team, strong enough to go all the way. I said in one other thread when Liverpool secured their title that media was all about Liverpool supposedly being back on their perch which is of course bollocks. In any case only way to shut them up a bit is to win stuff and show we're still there, winning trophies, although we're in a constant rebuild (I hope not an endless one). And finally we're Manchester United, we should go for every title available when given chance. :)

Vault Dweller

Well I'm totally with you on mixing it up for the Europa, good time to try a few young players and put a couple of others in the shop window. Although I realised that winning it would make us a CL seed, whereas we are Pot2 at the moment so worth winning of course

I think the plan is a transfer window pod maybe just before Europa starts up - I'll probably not be on it as I can't be arsed to follow most of the transfer rumour mill. My rule is that, until it's on BBC Football (and not the gossip page) it's all bollocks!
Yeah winning it could be great for Ole as it would be a trophy in his first season and your right about the seedings, but I definitely want to see the young and fringe players get plenty of game time. Some of them need putting in the shop window.

Sounds good - haha aww man I love muppet season, take everything with a pinch of salt but it's great fun :D the being said, I don't think we are too far off sorting a deal for Sancho, and I think we are definitely after a CB.

Squeaky Bumtime

Also I forgot, loved that bit about our new number 7. What a sweet worry to have, who will wear that iconic number, Mason or Jando. :drool:

Jesus, it's all so exciting again, being an United supporter. :devil:

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Enjoyable pod as always. Found myself agreeing with @Duafc about a lot. I agree, it feels odd to criticise Wan-Bissaka when he's the first capable right back we've had for seven years. However, his positioning on aerial balls is bad. He does tend to dawdle when he has to make a decision other than when to tackle. Plus, he has serious deficiencies going forward. Nevermind Dani Alves, Rafael Da Silva afforded the time and space Wan-Bissaka gets would add a whole new dimension to our attack.

Matic must be replaced too. You boys talked about the refusal of Ole to rotate midfield but the fact is, as this team has evolved tactically, we've been left with square pegs for round holes. McTominay and Fred are really box-to-box midfielders, and it was noticeable to me how much more assured McTominay looked when he came on at Leicester and played besides Pogba rather than in the deeper role. We don't have natural a natural replacement for Matic at #6. Someone who can do a Busquets and drop into the back line and let the centre halves split so the full backs can push on and give the team width, someone who sniffs danger on the transition and knows where to be, someone who can progress the ball from deep and not just go sideways. Matic is good when he's had a week off but he isn't good when he has to play every game. We need a world class holding player added to the squad.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Enjoyable pod as always. Found myself agreeing with @Duafc about a lot. I agree, it feels odd to criticise Wan-Bissaka when he's the first capable right back we've had for seven years. However, his positioning on aerial balls is bad. He does tend to dawdle when he has to make a decision other than when to tackle. Plus, he has serious deficiencies going forward. Nevermind Dani Alves, Rafael Da Silva afforded the time and space Wan-Bissaka gets would add a whole new dimension to our attack.

Matic must be replaced too. You boys talked about the refusal of Ole to rotate midfield but the fact is, as this team has evolved tactically, we've been left with square pegs for round holes. McTominay and Fred are really box-to-box midfielders, and it was noticeable to me how much more assured McTominay looked when he came on at Leicester and played besides Pogba rather than in the deeper role. We don't have natural a natural replacement for Matic at #6. Someone who can do a Busquets and drop into the back line and let the centre halves split so the full backs can push on and give the team width, someone who sniffs danger on the transition and knows where to be, someone who can progress the ball from deep and not just go sideways. Matic is good when he's had a week off but he isn't good when he has to play every game. We need a world class holding player added to the squad.
Im actually surprised by how much criticism AWB is getting as I think hes had a great first season with clear signs of improvement throughout the season that I expect to continue as he develops - he does need to sort out his positional play but his attacking stats are actually decent, far better than Luke Shaw for example. Like I said on the pod, he has an unorthodox style that is never going to win any awards for technique but it can still be effective.

It is clear that Fred can never replace Matic as hes a completely different style of player (and maybe you are right about him being the square peg), but I still hold some hope that McTominay can - after all he has been trusted to play CB on the odd occasion (albeit ended badly once under Jose) and I saw some comments from Neville recently saying he thinks he might be more suited to that kind of defensive position. His passing is unlikely to get to Matic level but if he can learn the positional side then I dont see why not.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Im actually surprised by how much criticism AWB is getting as I think hes had a great first season with clear signs of improvement throughout the season that I expect to continue as he develops - he does need to sort out his positional play but his attacking stats are actually decent, far better than Luke Shaw for example. Like I said on the pod, he has an unorthodox style that is never going to win any awards for technique but it can still be effective.

It is clear that Fred can never replace Matic as hes a completely different style of player (and maybe you are right about him being the square peg), but I still hold some hope that McTominay can - after all he has been trusted to play CB on the odd occasion (albeit ended badly once under Jose) and I saw some comments from Neville recently saying he thinks he might be more suited to that kind of defensive position. His passing is unlikely to get to Matic level but if he can learn the positional side then I dont see why not.
It's a big ask for McTominay and he was garbage in the role at Palace. Nothing would make me happier to see him develop into a top defensive midfielder, one of our own saving us millions in the market. But, frankly speaking, I reckon if he ends up being half the defensive midfielder Phil Neville was that'll be a shock. I don't see him growing into the next Edgar Davids say.

And that is why there's been no real rotation. Fred and McTominay can't give what Matic does at #6, what Pogba does at #8 and what Bruno does at #10. They are victims of the teams evolution away from low block, counter attacking to a more expansive style where we're basically 3-3-1-3 in possession.

As for AWB, he's better offensively than he was but he's starting from a low base. I can't go from watching Paul Parker and Gary Neville to thinking what AWB does with the ball is acceptable. We all got fed up with Tony Valencia turning back constantly, why should we accept it from AWB? He has to do more, much more.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
It's a big ask for McTominay and he was garbage in the role at Palace. Nothing would make me happier to see him develop into a top defensive midfielder, one of our own saving us millions in the market. But, frankly speaking, I reckon if he ends up being half the defensive midfielder Phil Neville was that'll be a shock. I don't see him growing into the next Edgar Davids say.

And that is why there's been no real rotation. Fred and McTominay can't give what Matic does at #6, what Pogba does at #8 and what Bruno does at #10. They are victims of the teams evolution away from low block, counter attacking to a more expansive style where we're basically 3-3-1-3 in possession.

As for AWB, he's better offensively than he was but he's starting from a low base. I can't go from watching Paul Parker and Gary Neville to thinking what AWB does with the ball is acceptable. We all got fed up with Tony Valencia turning back constantly, why should we accept it from AWB? He has to do more, much more.
I think we will see more from AWB once he has a regular partner on the right side and like I said his stats for assists and chances created in the last half of the season are actually good - and his defensive stats (tackles and blocks) are the best in the whole PL.

I might be reaching in expectation for McTominay, but Im always ready to give our academy players every chance to make it. He has all the attributes to be a very good defensive midfielder, perhaps not in the same mould as Matic but you cant always expect to replace like for like and as long as he does the grafting to give Pogba and Bruno the time to create then I dont see why it cant work.

Transfer Talk

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
With the league season finally complete David, Colm @Duafc and Jamie @Vault Dweller turn their attention to the summer transfer window.
The team will surely need one or two quality signings if United are to compete on all fronts next year, so the lads assess the areas we most need to strengthen and discuss some of the names doing the rounds in the media.
Also Colm calls Friday 7th August as the day Sancho will become a United player and reveals the formula he used to make the prediction exclusively on the podcast!

Download link here - check OP for Spotify or hopefully you have already subscribed via whatever podcast player:
https://unitedhour.transistor.fm/episodes/united-hour-transfer-talk

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
With the league season finally complete David, Colm @Duafc and Jamie @Vault Dweller turn their attention to the summer transfer window.
The team will surely need one or two quality signings if United are to compete on all fronts next year, so the lads assess the areas we most need to strengthen and discuss some of the names doing the rounds in the media.
Also Colm calls Friday 7th August as the day Sancho will become a United player and reveals the formula he used to make the prediction exclusively on the podcast!

Download link here - check OP for Spotify or hopefully you have already subscribed via whatever podcast player:
Nice one guys. Will give this a listen in the van tomorrow.

Busbybabe1999

Very enjoyable podcast lads, I've made sure to follow on Spotify! Cheers

Reactions: Rood

Roosney

Agreed with most of the transfer muppeting. Some of the guys mentioned that Ole wants character and grit from the players and I immediately thought of Fred: decent player and a fighter but lacks any character or presence on the pitch. Funnily yesterday I was watching the match the commentator says about the same exact words.

GwilDor

Nice episodeguys. Would like to hear a bit more about the finances coming in to this window. Lots of factors are in play this coming year, like COVID-19, CL qualification, effect of run in Europa League, difference between 3rd and 4th in cash prize, re-negotiating of shirt sponsor, training equipment, training ground coming up this next year etc. Effect of Sanchez off the wage budget. Also, heard something about United drawing from a credit facility they arranged several years ago, what could be possible reasons for this, and is it something to worry about?

LASK Action Heroes

Vault Dweller

In the latest episode, Colm (@Duafc), Ed (@That'sHernandez) and Ashwin (@AR87) discuss United overcoming the might of LASK to secure our place in the last 8 of the Europa League. The lads look forward to the coming quarter-final against FC Copenhagen and the mini-tournament taking place in Cologne. Hear Ashwin bask in his admiration of Messi Lingard and the lads discussing a few more of the fringe players.

https://unitedhour.transistor.fm/episodes/united-hour-lask-action-heroes

End Of Season Awards

That'sHernandez

Ominously close to getting banned
The longest football season in recorded history is finally over. Ed (@That'sHernandez) is joined by Ashwin (@AR87) and Jamie @Vault Dweller to reflect on the bitter end, our Europa League semi final defeat to Sevilla, and how this season measured up given our expectations way back in August last year. The lads also dust off their finest suits and hand out a few player awards.

https://unitedhour.transistor.fm/episodes/united-hour-end-of-season-review

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
Not a very good match but the best team won.

Neymar would be the best player in the world right now if he were a smarter player. Most players know it's pretty stupid to try to beat two defenders when you are 60 meters from the opponents goal. Not Neymar though.

That'sHernandez

Ominously close to getting banned
Not a very good match but the best team won.

Neymar would be the best player in the world right now if he were a smarter player. Most players know it's pretty stupid to try to beat two defenders when you are 60 meters from the opponents goal. Not Neymar though.
Cheers for listening and thanks for the feedback. All constructive criticism welcome!

Squeaky Bumtime

Great pod as always lad.
I was listening while working so I needed to take notes not to forget what was said and so I can concetrate on both. :D
Enough about me, lets get started.

Agree on @AR87 about Sevilla match. We cut them open time and time again but couldn't score. It was refreshing to see us making chances but of course frustrating cause it like we wouldn't hit the sand in a desert. But I agree, people should chill the f. out, and not expect us to play like a 1970 Brazil every match.

@Vault Dweller was prepared with his statistics (stat man :D ) so kudos to you man, that's how you prepare for a pod. :) It was interesting to see statistics on goals and it is a bit staggering to realize how dependent we are on our front 4 and in recent times on penalties to get us goals. That's why it's essential to get Sancho and it's always wrong to ask is he worth it. Of course he is, just need to get the structure of payment right.

One huge problem are set pieces too like you guys wrote. No goals from free kicks or corners. Not only that our corners look horrible still and when we get them it's usually a lost ball which is shocking. Laughed about the Maguire's huge face. :lol: Was it Vault or @That'sHernandez who said it? Buty yeah its a bit easier to head the ball away in defense than to score it but even still you have to wonder how Maguire hasn't scored a single header until now.
Agree with Ashwin about Pogba. It's as if he doesn't look for goals anymore. Is it cause he's too deep or something else but its a shama cause he has it in him to score goals and nice ones too. It's a bit about him overcomplicating things and he's at his best and always was when he played it simple, it's the same with goals, if you see an opportunity go for it, dont think it over too much.

About Ighalo, one of my gripes with Ole is the lack of trust for this guy. Giving him peanuts, 5 or 6 minutes when obviously Rashford is out of form and contributing nothing. As you guys said it with giving Ighalo more chances we can mix it up a bit up front, not just play Martial as a front man. He's more than capable of playing from the left. Trying over and over with the same front 3 combination is not good if one of 2 are out of form or just having bad games. Agree with Ashwin that it shoudln't be a big deal to rest a player every now and then and I dont think Marcus would be mad about it. Also we should mix it up a bit while playing offense too. Not just looking for 1-2 combinations. If that doesnt work put your wingers wide, try combinations with fullbacks, something.

Williams is not good at left back and that's why we need a FB cover in this window if Ole doesn't trust Dalot or he's good enough. Williams has been thrown into the deep due to circumstances and although he had some decent games it's obvious he's not at home so to say when playing LB.

Back to Sevilla goal, there was a lot of talk about that goal. That was a huge brain fart by the whole defense. But mainly Maguire and Lindelof were occupying positions which were nowhere and from which they couldn't do nothing. They had 2 men in our box to our 4 and they still managed to score. I've seen better defending on my schoolyard and it is baffling how he have those kind of huge mistakes. We didn't score at one end and we got punished at the other but it was a ridiculous goal to concede. Comedy relief moment.

I'd give Maguire about 7 too, he's been solid and it's not just so to say to put his price tag on his head constantly. Hopefully it will tend to disappear by time from next season on. He had some lapses in concetration when he was in some strange positions or didnt read the game well or just got owned by strikes but generally he's been solid. I tend to agree with Vault he maybe shouldnt be captain but on the other hand agree with Ed too that too much of a deal is made out of who's the captain cause yeah essentially he's just the guy who speaks with the ref sometimes. But it is a problem we lack leaders in the dressing room and I cant imagine players roasting each other after defeats, they look more like they're busy updating their Instagram profiles but adding Bruno is a step into the right direction and he strikes me as a leader too.

Good shouts about Dan James too. He wasnt brough as a first 11 material but was thrown into the deep and was actually pretty good. He had a dip in form and he deserves a chance to prove his worth. If it was to Caf he would be sold after 2 months. Same with Fred and Scott, they had a dip in form after the brake and they were already rubbish.

Is Ole good enough. I'm still not sure, I tend to agree he's not the man who'll bring us the title but he is the guy to make the team the best he can and better than before. Better than having mish mash of players. He knows what kind of players he wants and what does he want from the team in general, not just the way they play but the whole culture of a club and atmosphere. He already made a good job in lifting the whole club and our general gameplay, not to mention getting rid of deadwood. There is still some more deadwood to get rid and hopefully we'll do that soon. Jones is a nice guy but it's baffling how he's still at the club. Ole got rid of the guys who didnt want to play for United or thought from the 2nd game in how it would be to not be at United so f. Lukaku and all the others. Who needs them?

Pre brake player of the season Fred too. He gets too much hate in these boards but he's a good player and he proved it more than enough time.
Post brake award is between Bruno and Mason. Bruno had a Cantonaesque influence on the club and Mason is a future star, he's just crazily good and so, so young.

Anyway that's from me, kudos to anyone who read all this till the end. :D

AR87

Great pod as always lad.
I was listening while working so I needed to take notes not to forget what was said and so I can concetrate on both. :D

Agree on @AR87 about Sevilla match. We cut them open time and time again but couldn't score. It was refreshing to see us making chances but of course frustrating cause it like we wouldn't hit the sand in a desert. But I agree, people should chill the f. out, and not expect us to play like a 1970 Brazil every match.

@Vault Dweller was prepared with his statistics (stat man :D ) so kudos to you man, that's how you prepare for a pod. :) It was interesting to see statistics on goals and it is a bit staggering to realize how dependent we are on our front 4 and in recent times on penalties to get us goals. That's why it's essential to get Sancho and it's always wrong to ask is he worth it. Of course he is, just need to get the structure of payment right.

One huge problem are set pieces too like you guys wrote. No goals from free kicks or corners. Not only that our corners look horrible still and when we get them it's usually a lost ball which is shocking. Laughed about the Maguire's huge face. :lol: Was it Vault or @That'sHernandez who said it? Buty yeah its a bit easier to head the ball away in defense than to score it but even still you have to wonder how Maguire hasn't scored a single header until now.
Agree with Ashwin about Pogba. It's as if he doesn't look for goals anymore. Is it cause he's too deep or something else but its a shama cause he has it in him to score goals and nice ones too. It's a bit about him overcomplicating things and he's at his best and always was when he played it simple, it's the same with goals, if you see an opportunity go for it, dont think it over too much.

About Ighalo, one of my gripes with Ole is the lack of trust for this guy. Giving him peanuts, 5 or 6 minutes when obviously Rashford is out of form and contributing nothing. As you guys said it with giving Ighalo more chances we can mix it up a bit up front, not just play Martial as a front man. He's more than capable of playing from the left. Trying over and over with the same front 3 combination is not good if one of 2 are out of form or just having bad games. Agree with Ashwin that it shoudln't be a big deal to rest a player every now and then and I dont think Marcus would be mad about it. Also we should mix it up a bit while playing offense too. Not just looking for 1-2 combinations. If that doesnt work put your wingers wide, try combinations with fullbacks, something.

Williams is not good at left back and that's why we need a FB cover in this window if Ole doesn't trust Dalot or he's good enough. Williams has been thrown into the deep due to circumstances and although he had some decent games it's obvious he's not at home so to say when playing LB.

Back to Sevilla goal, there was a lot of talk about that goal. That was a huge brain fart by the whole defense. But mainly Maguire and Lindelof were occupying positions which were nowhere and from which they couldn't do nothing. They had 2 men in our box to our 4 and they still managed to score. I've seen better defending on my schoolyard and it is baffling how he have those kind of huge mistakes. We didn't score at one end and we got punished at the other but it was a ridiculous goal to concede. Comedy relief moment.

I'd give Maguire about 7 too, he's been solid and it's not just so to say to put his price tag on his head constantly. Hopefully it will tend to disappear by time from next season on. He had some lapses in concetration when he was in some strange positions or didnt read the game well or just got owned by strikes but generally he's been solid. I tend to agree with Vault he maybe shouldnt be captain but on the other hand agree with Ed too that too much of a deal is made out of who's the captain cause yeah essentially he's just the guy who speaks with the ref sometimes. But it is a problem we lack leaders in the dressing room and I cant imagine players roasting each other after defeats, they look more like they're busy updating their Instagram profiles but adding Bruno is a step into the right direction and he strikes me as a leader too.

Good shouts about Dan James too. He wasnt brough as a first 11 material but was thrown into the deep and was actually pretty good. He had a dip in form and he deserves a chance to prove his worth. If it was to Caf he would be sold after 2 months. Same with Fred and Scott, they had a dip in form after the brake and they were already rubbish.

Is Ole good enough. I'm still not sure, I tend to agree he's not the man who'll bring us the title but he is the guy to make the team the best he can and better than before. Better than having mish mash of players. He knows what kind of players he wants and what does he want from the team in general, not just the way they play but the whole culture of a club and atmosphere. He already made a good job in lifting the whole club and our general gameplay, not to mention getting rid of deadwood. There is still some more deadwood to get rid and hopefully we'll do that soon. Jones is a nice guy but it's baffling how he's still at the club. Ole got rid of the guys who didnt want to play for United or thought from the 2nd game in how it would be to not be at United so f. Lukaku and all the others. Who needs them?

Pre brake player of the season Fred too. He gets too much hate in these boards but he's a good player and he proved it more than enough time.
Post brake award is between Bruno and Mason. Bruno had a Cantonaesque influence on the club and Mason is a future star, he's just crazily good and so, so young.

Thanks for the feedback! And I read the whole thing!

Vault Dweller

Great pod as always lad.

Just had a chance to read all this mate, thanks so much for the feedback :D

PreSeason Review 2020/21

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
Im back for the new season with @AR87 , @Stobzilla and @Vault Dweller to run down the latest transfer news (or lack thereof!), preseason prep, discuss the squad and our expectations. A full look ahead to what will surely be another strange COVID19 impacted season

Listen or download here or check Apple, Spotify etc: https://unitedhour.transistor.fm/episodes/united-hour-preseason-review-2020-21-man-utd-podcast

Apologies for some sound quality issues - I think Ashwin's laptop got the 'rona!
My sound quality, as usual, is impeccable.

VanGaalyTime

Fantastic job guys. I like the discussion about what we need most in the team. Like you guys, I'm surprised we haven't made a move for a centreback. I think Lindelof improved a lot last year but still worry about his ability in the air and his pace (which is a major concern when Maguire isn't quick either and DDG doesn't play sweeper keeper.) I agree that Axel Tuanzebe is the forgotten man here. If he can get over his injuries he could be a good Lindelof or Matic replacement in most matches. Great shout Mark.

For me, right wing is still the most important position for us and we desperately need a new signing for that position this season. Greenwood is brilliant, but should not be our first team right winger. If not Sancho, Perisic or even someone like St. Maximin from Newcastle would be solid additions.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Fantastic job guys. I like the discussion about what we need most in the team. Like you guys, I'm surprised we haven't made a move for a centreback. I think Lindelof improved a lot last year but still worry about his ability in the air and his pace (which is a major concern when Maguire isn't quick either and DDG doesn't play sweeper keeper.) I agree that Axel Tuanzebe is the forgotten man here. If he can get over his injuries he could be a good Lindelof or Matic replacement in most matches. Great shout Mark.

For me, right wing is still the most important position for us and we desperately need a new signing for that position this season. Greenwood is brilliant, but should not be our first team right winger. If not Sancho, Perisic or even someone like St. Maximin from Newcastle would be solid additions.
Tuanzebe has a lot more of chance of playing CB than DM though - hope he can get an injury free season anyway

StMaximin is not the one for us but must surely be some decent alternatives if Sancho is not happening - although @VaultDweller is still convinced he's coming

Crystal Palava

Duafc

Village Lemon
Hey Friends - Unlike United we've been chomping at the bit and couldn't wait to get a pod out mere hours after a disaster start against Crystal Palace;

Myself, Nik @Rood and Jamie @Vault Dweller go through it all again, reliving our stinking 3-1 opening day defeat!

The edit was a bit of a quicker one to allow us to get the pod out immediately rather than in a day or two - any feedback on whether that's worth it or not would be welcome!

Vault Dweller

Hey Friends - Unlike United we've been chomping at the bit and couldn't wait to get a pod out mere hours after a disaster start against Crystal Palace;

Myself, Nik @Rood and Jamie @Vault Dweller go through it all again, reliving our stinking 3-1 opening day defeat!

The edit was a bit of a quicker one to allow us to get the pod out immediately rather than in a day or two - any feedback on whether that's worth it or not would be welcome!
Podcaster’s podder of the season?
I’m honoured and humbled! :D :drool:

caid

I enjoyed it being as quick after the match as it was. I think a day or two after the match i've kind of forgotten or stopped caring a bit.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
I enjoyed it being as quick after the match as it was. I think a day or two after the match i've kind of forgotten or stopped caring a bit.
Ye this is the kind of feedback we need

We have to compromise on sound quality to get it out fast so it's a bit raw with people talking over each other etc

caid

Ye this is the kind of feedback we need

We have to compromise on sound quality to get it out fast so it's a bit raw with people talking over each other etc
Sound quality seemed solid tbf. Didn't notice you talking over each other.