United Hour Podcast - Ron Shot The Sheriff

That'sHernandez

Ominously close to getting banned
Nik(@Rood) and Ed(@That'sHernandez) look back at Manchester United's Europa League win in Moldova over Sheriff Tiraspor - Ronaldo scored but is he still up to playing at the top level?
Also discussing all the other football news out there with various subjects on the agenda including:
  • Match cancellations
  • International break
  • Women's Super League
  • the Glazers and US ownership

Follow United Hour on Twitter - https://twitter.com/United_Hour

Listen to the episode on our new hosting site, Sport Social! - https://podcast.sport-social.co.uk/podcast/united-hour/

Finally, please check out the Linktree link here for all our social media and other accompanying sites and links (Patreon here too!) https://linktr.ee/unitedhour and please, please do continue sending questions in cause I really enjoy thinking about them!

Beans

Supports
Neutral
I would like some praise for calling that Malacia would be the starter by Christmas, I was going to say in a month but I figured I should be more conservative just to make sure I was right.

Shaw is a jogger, he stands off the man he defends, when they run at him he backs up, and most of the time when they go by him he jogs after them.

That'sHernandez

I would like some praise for calling that Malacia would be the starter by Christmas, I was going to say in a month but I figured I should be more conservative just to make sure I was right.

Shaw is a jogger, he stands off the man he defends, when they run at him he backs up, and most of the time when they go by him he jogs after them.
I've a lot of time for Shaw and I think he has it in him to reclaim his starting position but Malacia is definitely a gem of a signing and it was clear as early as pre-season. I hope if he carries on in this trajectory we can keep him for some time. Him and Erikson are the best signings in the summer window for me thus far.

Beans

Supports
Neutral
I've a lot of time for Shaw and I think he has it in him to reclaim his starting position but Malacia is definitely a gem of a signing and it was clear as early as pre-season. I hope if he carries on in this trajectory we can keep him for some time. Him and Erikson are the best signings in the summer window for me thus far.
Shaw just isn't fast, he can't catch up to a speedy winger if he gets beat. He does have a nice cross, and he has looked more energetic under ETH.

But the effort hasn't been there, and it's cost us. Doesn't help that after they beat Shaw they had Maguire ambling at them like a Frankenstein Ent, easier to turn than something that turns a lot.

That'sHernandez

Shaw just isn't fast, he can't catch up to a speedy winger if he gets beat. He does have a nice cross, and he has looked more energetic under ETH.

But the effort hasn't been there, and it's cost us. Doesn't help that after they beat Shaw they had Maguire ambling at them like a Frankenstein Ent, easier to turn than something that turns a lot.
I find Shaw a weird one to be honest. He's easily one of the best footballers in the squad, and his dedication to being fit for the team is definitely there because he regularly takes on extra training during the off season to prepare himself for the new season. He speaks well and and somewhat candidly in interviews and I'd say he's probably a leader in the dressing room. Obviously his performances this season and last season haven't been good enough but there's a top player there.

I don't think Shaw is particularly slow though, I think he's just way off pace in terms of fitness and conditioning this season for whatever reason. As I said on the pod I think he will definitely come back into the team at some point. I do also wonder if perhaps moving to LCB might have been decent for him in terms of his career, however with the signing of Martinez I doubt that's a position he would get many minutes in at United now.

Beans

Supports
Neutral
I find Shaw a weird one to be honest. He's easily one of the best footballers in the squad, and his dedication to being fit for the team is definitely there because he regularly takes on extra training during the off season to prepare himself for the new season. He speaks well and and somewhat candidly in interviews and I'd say he's probably a leader in the dressing room. Obviously his performances this season and last season haven't been good enough but there's a top player there.

I don't think Shaw is particularly slow though, I think he's just way off pace in terms of fitness and conditioning this season for whatever reason. As I said on the pod I think he will definitely come back into the team at some point. I do also wonder if perhaps moving to LCB might have been decent for him in terms of his career, however with the signing of Martinez I doubt that's a position he would get many minutes in at United now.
No, he's not Charlie Adam slow, but against Brentford he couldn't catch his man even though he was dribbling a ball and Shaw was not.

I get frustrated with how he backs off his man, he makes it very easy for players most of the time. Meanwhile every FB our wingers face gets right into us and will try to push us back. Of course I think Ole's tactics were to fall back and absorb pressure to counter (until the last season), and doing so little pressing and running couldn't have helped his or anyone else's fitness.

Running that much hurts! I think one of the reasons the players loved Ole so much is that he didn't make them put in that painful level of effort.

Under Ralf he downed tools, but he did run in preseason. If he's dedicated to getting his endurance up then I imagine he'll be able to push Malacia, he's young after all. Shaw would be a good player to shadow as he is skilled on offense, Malacia already has the speed and ferocity.

Thankfully I'm confident ETH will sort it out, he clearly realizes we haven't been running enough.