United Hour Podcast - Day Bright Robbery

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
"If you get Haaland you'll finish 5th" and you can hear the disappointment in Ed's muted "yeah?" :lol:

Really enjoyed that. Did think you guys were a little harsh with your take on the United forum though - what would you expect given the last few years? I see plenty of decent attempts at trying to understand our crazy situation, more so than some idiotic rants. But of course, people also need a rant here and there.

The Moise Kean situation is interesting. Was a real coup for you in the summer and now out of favour and ignored by the interim manager. There is no way that kid will be up for going out on loan, unless he's promised that he's sold on again. Why would he go to Everton if not for game time? Hopefully Carlo takes him under his wing.

That'sHernandez

Ominously close to getting banned
"If you get Haaland you'll finish 5th" and you can hear the disappointment in Ed's muted "yeah?" :lol:

Really enjoyed that. Did think you guys were a little harsh with your take on the United forum though - what would you expect given the last few years? I see plenty of decent attempts at trying to understand our crazy situation, more so than some idiotic rants. But of course, people also need a rant here and there.

The Moise Kean situation is interesting. Was a real coup for you in the summer and now out of favour and ignored by the interim manager. There is no way that kid will be up for going out on loan, unless he's promised that he's sold on again. Why would he go to Everton if not for game time? Hopefully Carlo takes him under his wing.

:lol: I thought he was going to say fourth

All We Want For Christmas? (Watford / Colchester)

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
The Xmas Podcast is here - ended up just being me and Colm @Duafc going head to head on the Ole In/Out debate.
Covering the horrible result at Watford and progress to the semis of the League Cup plus focus on Pogba & Martial.
Quick preview of the Xmas fixtures as well.

That'sHernandez

Very good listening again @That'sHernandez and well done Robbie (@SilentWitness) really enjoyed listening to your points :)
Glad you enjoyed, I'm really enjoying getting some outside perspectives; they seem more credible when they come from someone removed from the club. Big thanks to @balaks and @SilentWitness for being good sports. It'd be easy for these guys to be total wind up merchants and not bother with the spirit of the pod!

Equally, I am always open for further ideas and questions from you guys, our listeners, as I am aware the concept might be a little formulaic with the same questions each time! Any ideas to help make it more dynamic would be very appreciated!

edgecutter

Keep it up guys. Really enjoy listening on my long journeys regardless of results the team is having.

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Glad you enjoyed, I'm really enjoying getting some outside perspectives; they seem more credible when they come from someone removed from the club. Big thanks to @balaks and @SilentWitness for being good sports. It'd be easy for these guys to be total wind up merchants and not bother with the spirit of the pod!

Equally, I am always open for further ideas and questions from you guys, our listeners, as I am aware the concept might be a little formulaic with the same questions each time! Any ideas to help make it more dynamic would be very appreciated!
That’s a great point about outside perspectives and it is great hearing from the opposing fans for sure. They have all been great sports so far.

And merry Christmas!

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Great episode @Rood @Duafc

I do agree with Colm that it does definitely matter what a manager says publicly. You might think differently Nik if we didn't have a player legend managing us. The media landscape has changed dramatically but that's now part and parcel of the job. And if you come across as a bit clueless and contradictory, it doesn't build confidence.

That'sHernandez

The Xmas Podcast is here - ended up just being me and Colm @Duafc going head to head on the Ole In/Out debate.
Covering the horrible result at Watford and progress to the semis of the League Cup plus focus on Pogba & Martial.
Quick preview of the Xmas fixtures as well.

You'd give any manager a ridiculous amount of time, Nik! Steve Bruce? :lol: You're mental! You backed LVG almost until he got sacked and he was horrendous for the club, despite winning the FA Cup.

With regard to a functioning 10, what 10s are we actually linked with now? The most recent transfer gossip seems to be Sancho, Haaland and Maddison but there's not a chance we're going to get Maddison in January while Leicester are (kind of) in a title race, and jury's out for me in the summer. I would honestly prefer to see us switch formation than solve the enigma code that is the best no. 10.

Bollocks about no one watched press conferences until recently. People have watched most manager's press conferences since Mourinho came to the Premier League the first time, which is about 15 years ago now. I can also remember not necessarily watching conferences but certainly looking out for what was said after pre-match pressers when Fergie was in charge. If people didn't watch pre-match pressers or have any interest in them, legendary meltdowns like the Benitez Fact presser (which is almost 11 years old now) wouldn't be a thing. It's definitely not a new phenomena and what is said in them 100% matters; the Benitez one even proves that, Liverpool went totally off the rails after that presser. They also mattered to people when Mourinho was throwing players under the bus in them, so they aren't suddenly irrelevant because there's nothing you disagree with being said in them. They also mattered enough that Fergie banned reporters from them when they misrepresented what he said in them in their follow on articles.

Personally I think McTominay is droppable, at least against teams we should be beating. The snippet we have seen of Pogfred looks like it could be a functioning and creative midfield that picks up points in these games.

I totally see where @Duafc is coming from and it's something he has said all season regarding patterns of play, and it's often something that gets forgotten after we have won, though I always have it in the back of my mind. How many of our goals so far have come from a clear, drilled, pattern of play? I'd hazard to say not many. I truly want Ole to succeed but I'm starting to agree that the coaching needs to be better; especially considering he is (admirably) fielding such young sides. You can't just say "go out and enjoy yourselves" before every game because it's clearly showing not to work.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Great episode @Rood @Duafc

I do agree with Colm that it does definitely matter what a manager says publicly. You might think differently Nik if we didn't have a player legend managing us. The media landscape has changed dramatically but that's now part and parcel of the job. And if you come across as a bit clueless and contradictory, it doesn't build confidence.
But you are talking about confidence for who? the players or the fans?
Yes I can see that it matters to some fans but the only thing of importance to me is the players and I dont see that much that happens in pressers makes any difference to them

And I dont agree that Ole has been 'clueless and contrdictory' anyway - he's a bit bland compared to the likes of Jose or even LvG but thats no bad thing at the moment as we saw how a manager saying the wrong things (Jose) can create so much bad publicity for the club

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
You'd give any manager a ridiculous amount of time, Nik! Steve Bruce? :lol: You're mental! You backed LVG almost until he got sacked and he was horrendous for the club, despite winning the FA Cup.

With regard to a functioning 10, what 10s are we actually linked with now? The most recent transfer gossip seems to be Sancho, Haaland and Maddison but there's not a chance we're going to get Maddison in January while Leicester are (kind of) in a title race, and jury's out for me in the summer. I would honestly prefer to see us switch formation than solve the enigma code that is the best no. 10.

Bollocks about no one watched press conferences until recently. People have watched most manager's press conferences since Mourinho came to the Premier League the first time, which is about 15 years ago now. I can also remember not necessarily watching conferences but certainly looking out for what was said after pre-match pressers when Fergie was in charge. If people didn't watch pre-match pressers or have any interest in them, legendary meltdowns like the Benitez Fact presser (which is almost 11 years old now) wouldn't be a thing. It's definitely not a new phenomena and what is said in them 100% matters; the Benitez one even proves that, Liverpool went totally off the rails after that presser. They also mattered to people when Mourinho was throwing players under the bus in them, so they aren't suddenly irrelevant because there's nothing you disagree with being said in them. They also mattered enough that Fergie banned reporters from them when they misrepresented what he said in them in their follow on articles.

Personally I think McTominay is droppable, at least against teams we should be beating. The snippet we have seen of Pogfred looks like it could be a functioning and creative midfield that picks up points in these games.

I totally see where @Duafc is coming from and it's something he has said all season regarding patterns of play, and it's often something that gets forgotten after we have won, though I always have it in the back of my mind. How many of our goals so far have come from a clear, drilled, pattern of play? I'd hazard to say not many. I truly want Ole to succeed but I'm starting to agree that the coaching needs to be better; especially considering he is (admirably) fielding such young sides. You can't just say "go out and enjoy yourselves" before every game because it's clearly showing not to work.
Well I actually still think it was a mistake to sack LvG !

And I didnt say that press conferences didnt exist but certainly they werent broadcast live like they are now on MUTV and have the amout of scrunity they have nowadays with people overanlysing every word. Its pretty recent that the Caf has threads for every press conference which shows the change

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
First pod of the year will be recorded tonight - any questions that you want answered?

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Do you expect the results to be significantly better if we had a new manager?

For the transfer muppets, who do you want signed?

Do we persist with Martial and Rashford as our main guys for the next 5+ years

How shite is Luke Shaw?

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Do you expect the results to be significantly better if we had a new manager?

For the transfer muppets, who do you want signed?

Do we persist with Martial and Rashford as our main guys for the next 5+ years

How shite is Luke Shaw?
Besides Poch, which manager(s) could United realistically bring in if we sacked Ole now?
Cheers lads

@Raees take note for tonight

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
First pod of the year will be recorded tonight - any questions that you want answered?
Excellent. Do you guys agree that Ole should be protecting players like James much more instead of saying it’s “a man’s game” after thuggish performances like Burnley?

Also, are we rushing players back too soon and running those we have into the ground (McTom playing on for 40mins when he clearly had a problem a good example)?

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
You lot were far too nice to Maguire... :p
I guess what I was trying to convey is that he was never that good to begin with, so when compounded with increased expectation (United, transfer fee, armband), a lack of quality and leadership around him (behind, to both sides and infront), and a lot of minutes on the pitch - it's not a surprise that he isn't performing particularly well.

Festive Hangover?! (Arsenal / Burnley / Newcastle)

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
First pod of the decade is here - was recorded before the Wolves game so looks back at the holiday season games vs Arsenal, Burnley and Newcastle.
We chat about the Pogba conspiracy theories plus focus on Maguire and Martial.
Then we take some of the Caftard questions and discuss how much value we put on the FA Cup.

BTW for anyone who listens on Apple Podcasts, please do give us a review on there:
https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/united-hour/id902792476

Vault Dweller

First pod of the decade is here - was recorded before the Wolves game so looks back at the holiday season games vs Arsenal, Burnley and Newcastle.
We chat about the Pogba conspiracy theories plus focus on Maguire and Martial.
Then we take some of the Caftard questions and discuss how much value we put on the FA Cup.

BTW for anyone who listens on Apple Podcasts, please do give us a review on there:
https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/united-hour/id902792476
Nice one guys. Giving it a listen just now and is helping the first day back at work after the New Year go quicker!

Will give feedback later on but great to listen to another one :)

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
You lot were far too nice to Maguire... :p
I did actually forget to mention the fact that he really should have scored a goal by now - he's had a few decent opportunities and there was the one against Arsenal which is pretty much a free header.

But generally I think he's been overplayed, should have been subbed at half time against Wolves and may well now be out for City tomorrow

VanGaalyTime

Nice job, guys! Enjoyed listening to this one. I agree on a few points:

1. James has been destroyed by opposition players this season. I think he requires some protection.
2. Pogba is such a miss in this team. I don't agree with Raess that Pogba is better than United though. United have put a lot of faith in him, and Pogba needs to repay that faith. I hope he'll get fit ready to help us reach top 4.
3. Agree with Alex that Ole might not be the right man for the job, but the plan should be bigger than the manager. Improvements need to take place above the manager. I really like how Ole is bringing in youth players - Williams, Tuanzebe, Mctominay, Greenwood , etc. But believe his in-game management and coaching in general is quite poor. Raees I agree with in terms of Rogers being a strong option, despite his past.
4. Great point about the impact Mctominay makes & how the team plays without him. I believe we're unbeaten in each big game Mctominay has played. Without him, we're so so short in the center of the pitch.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I've not managed to listen to all of it, but @Rood it wasn't a question about Ole's press conferences in general, my concern is with having pacey players who need a lot more protection. My being critical of Ole in general and doubting him, isn't really the point. I'd have the same concerns with any other manager being blasé about a player being kicked all over the pitch.

With SAF I think he'd have put huge pressure on refs and highlighted the issue. James is outstanding in how he deals with it, but again, it's luck that he's not been injured yet. For me that's the sensible approach. He is fouled time and again. Many times the refs don't even give a free kick. And it all began with two games where he was booked for diving when he clearly was fouled. Halting that "reputation" is important, and defenders need to be put under pressure which will make them concede space to him rather than go smash him left, right and centre.

edit: top show guys.

Last edited:

Drz

Interesting Pod :)
For the potential Ole replacements, a bit surprised that Nagelsmann was not mentionned, and would like to know what the podcasters think of Nuno Espirito Santo. Along with Pochettino, they'd be the coachs I'd be sizing-up if my conviction in ole was eroding.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Nice job, guys! Enjoyed listening to this one. I agree on a few points:

1. James has been destroyed by opposition players this season. I think he requires some protection.
2. Pogba is such a miss in this team. I don't agree with Raess that Pogba is better than United though. United have put a lot of faith in him, and Pogba needs to repay that faith. I hope he'll get fit ready to help us reach top 4.
3. Agree with Alex that Ole might not be the right man for the job, but the plan should be bigger than the manager. Improvements need to take place above the manager. I really like how Ole is bringing in youth players - Williams, Tuanzebe, Mctominay, Greenwood , etc. But believe his in-game management and coaching in general is quite poor. Raees I agree with in terms of Rogers being a strong option, despite his past.
4. Great point about the impact Mctominay makes & how the team plays without him. I believe we're unbeaten in each big game Mctominay has played. Without him, we're so so short in the center of the pitch.
Neither do I, which I forgot to make clear on the show - I think Ole actually built his whole plan around Pogba and now that hes not there we struggle in many situations

I've not managed to listen to all of it, but @Rood it wasn't a question about Ole's press conferences in general, my concern is with having pacey players who need a lot more protection. My being critical of Ole in general and doubting him, isn't really the point. I'd have the same concerns with any other manager being blasé about a player being kicked all over the pitch.

With SAF I think he'd have put huge pressure on refs and highlighted the issue. James is outstanding in how he deals with it, but again, it's luck that he's not been injured yet. For me that's the sensible approach. He is fouled time and again. Many times the refs don't even give a free kick. And it all began with two games where he was booked for diving when he clearly was fouled. Halting that "reputation" is important, and defenders need to be put under pressure which will make them concede space to him rather than go smash him left, right and centre.

edit: top show guys.
Ye fair enough, its just because that question did lead to the general discussion about things said at press conference which is a hot topic at the moment

Ole in general has avoided criticising refs - maybe he should a bit more, although Im not sure what difference it makes

Interesting Pod :)
For the potential Ole replacements, a bit surprised that Nagelsmann was not mentionned, and would like to know what the podcasters think of Nuno Espirito Santo. Along with Pochettino, they'd be the coachs I'd be sizing-up if my conviction in ole was eroding.
Maybe Nagelsmann was the 3rd one that slipped @Raees mind?

Vault Dweller

Neither do I, which I forgot to make clear on the show - I think Ole actually built his whole plan around Pogba and now that hes not there we struggle in many situations
This is exactly what I think happened, and we have been trying to deal with a plan B for most of the season.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Ye fair enough, its just because that question did lead to the general discussion about things said at press conference which is a hot topic at the moment

Ole in general has avoided criticising refs - maybe he should a bit more, although Im not sure what difference it makes
We're at opposite sides when it comes to the importance of how a manager comes across in press conferences and interviews, so I know you don't mind what he says or how :cool: but back to topic: if it didn't make any difference, putting pressure on refs and highlighting certain issues, no manager would do that. SAF did it all the time. I doubt he did it because it had no effect.

Then again, to the management of players' fitness and returning from injury, and picking up injuries in-game. He's got a terrible record there. Maguire out against City. We all saw that he got a hip injury against Wolves. Yet, played the whole game. And my points about McTominay (even more serious) and Pogba are definitely debate worthy. I find it quite worrying to be fair.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots

Maybe Nagelsmann was the 3rd one that slipped @Raees mind?
It was actually Bielsa but some cracking names have been posted so far.. Nuno is a good shout as well as Nagelsmann who I didn’t say because I thought Bayern bound?

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
We're at opposite sides when it comes to the importance of how a manager comes across in press conferences and interviews, so I know you don't mind what he says or how :cool: but back to topic: if it didn't make any difference, putting pressure on refs and highlighting certain issues, no manager would do that. SAF did it all the time. I doubt he did it because it had no effect.

Then again, to the management of players' fitness and returning from injury, and picking up injuries in-game. He's got a terrible record there. Maguire out against City. We all saw that he got a hip injury against Wolves. Yet, played the whole game. And my points about McTominay (even more serious) and Pogba are definitely debate worthy. I find it quite worrying to be fair.
I agree that Ole deserves criticism for overplaying some players - Ive said myself on the pod that I thought he went too strong in some of the cup games and I highlighted the crazy amount of minutes Maguire had played, he should never have started against Wolves with City just a few days after

It was actually Bielsa but some cracking names have been posted so far.. Nuno is a good shout as well as Nagelsmann who I didn’t say because I thought Bayern bound?
Bielsa is a legend but wouldnt fit in at a big club, hes too much of a maverick - even at the likes of Marseille/Lazio it ended badly for him.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I’d take Bielsa. 1. He’d teach the players to play football. 2. It would be fun.

Last edited:

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
I agree that Ole deserves criticism for overplaying some players - Ive said myself on the pod that I thought he went too strong in some of the cup games and I highlighted the crazy amount of minutes Maguire had played, he should never have started against Wolves with City just a few days after

Bielsa is a legend but wouldnt fit in at a big club, hes too much of a maverick - even at the likes of Marseille/Lazio it ended badly for him.
Even if it was for 2 seasons.. he would modernise the playing style at such a rapid speed and leave a good foundation behind.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Even if it was for 2 seasons.. he would modernise the playing style at such a rapid speed and leave a good foundation behind.
He lasted 2 days at Lazio, I doubt it would be much longer with us!

Andersonson

Do we have fans on here who listens to The United Stand?

Seriously the worst horseshit i've ever listend to.

I cannot understand why anyone actually agrees with them, for me its the most bizarre and the least football- knowledge cast i've heard.

For those interested, I recommend you to check out Redd Issue on Twitter and see how the channels work.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
@Andersonson Ive actually never managed to watch a whole video from them, not my kind of thing at all but obviously its popular - pretty clear that they have tried to mimic the success of Arsenal Fan TV with a lot of ranting negativity about anything and everything, unfortunately it seems this is the best way to get more viewers nowadays.

Drz

Do we have fans on here who listens to The United Stand?

Seriously the worst horseshit i've ever listend to.

I cannot understand why anyone actually agrees with them, for me its the most bizarre and the least football- knowledge cast i've heard.

For those interested, I recommend you to check out Redd Issue on Twitter and see how the channels work.
Actually caught the guy in red talking on youtube on the same show before, it is asolutely ironic watching him talking about anyone's IQ...
I think the guy in blue, is generally the host, whilst I have found myself disagreeing with him, he comes across as more likeable and humble than the rest of his possee.
The worst is this clown named Goldbridge though, for the armchair supporter that I am, watching them has definitely put me slightly off going to OT any time soon (I already don't like crowded places, and for some reason I generalised that most match going fans are as dumb as these lot: no way I'm going to survive the experience).