United Hour Podcast - Day Bright Robbery

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
@Damien do you have access to any of the other clips that you made on various tools?

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Last edited:

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout

Alock1

I stand by it and think that what has happened since Mourinho left re Rashford, and the performance of some of his attacking players at Spurs validates it

Rashford was being wasted, and we have seen many talent not reach potential because of misuse from a manager. In the long run, that Mourinho period may not have harmed him as I'm sure he learnt a lot - but had it carried on for much longer, I'm confident it could have had an impact on his long-term development

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
I stand by it and think that what has happened since Mourinho left re Rashford, and the performance of some of his attacking players at Spurs validates it

Rashford was being wasted, and we have seen many talent not reach potential because of misuse from a manager. In the long run, that Mourinho period may not have harmed him as I'm sure he learnt a lot - but had it carried on for much longer, I'm confident it could have had an impact on his long-term development
Rashford was being mismanaged by Jose but sending him away was never the solution

Anyway just listened to the pod, can tell that you are still keeping your Ole Out tshirt warm!

also thought @Duafc was overly harsh on AWB who is clearly improving attacking wise, his style looks ungainly but hes had several assists now - but generally he hasnt had a constant partner to link with which is an issue. Shaw has much less excuse but then I think generally he is the solid defensive option and you throw in Williams against the bus parkers

The 3 Ms: Mason, Marcus, Martial (Bournmouth / BHA)

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
In this week's episode, we have the joyous task of reliving 2 thumping wins against Brighton and Bournemouth as we hit top form at the perfect time of the season - big focus on our unstoppable attacking trio but still some questions about the defence and why we are conceding weak goals.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
In this week's episode, we have the joyous task of reliving 2 thumping wins against Brighton and Bournemouth as we hit top form at the perfect time of the season - big focus on our unstoppable attacking trio but still some questions about the defence and why we are conceding weak goals.

Good stuff as always. Very much agree with the question marks you raise about our defence for the Bournemouth goals. That first goal...How many times could we, and should we, have cleared the ball?! :rolleyes: Speaks to what you said about the Lindelof and Bailly situation. Neither, right now, looks the part. I'd be tempted to give Bailly a go, even though his decision making can be erratic. I thought he earned a run in the side at Stamford Bridge and I hope he gets a run between now and the end of the season. Lindelof is just too passive for me. At least Bailly has pace.

Glad that you noted the development in Martial's game as a central striker.

Agree on the penalty, it looked like it hit Bailly's shoulder to me, and I think VAR was a bit dodgy. Although with Bruno's goal I think VAR ruled that Matic was not in the line of sight of the goalie, and therefore not interfering with play, so his heel being offside was irrelevant. Rashford definitely wasn't offside when he slide tackled the ball in.

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Great listen as always guys.

The Bournemouth game was the most exciting United game I have watched in a long time.

Great pod again guys, as usual!

Agreed with a lot of what you were both saying this week, I think the goalkeeping situation is going to become one that we may need to take action on sooner rather than later, and I also think the centre half position needs looking into as well. The first goal Bournemouth scored was an absolute calamity, from DDG being beaten at the near post / AWB not really doing anything, he seemed to have totally forgotten Stanislas was behind him and I thought Maguire wasn't great through the game either (I'll forgive him the nutmeg, that can happen). Rio summed it up well for me, we need a CB who has great pace to go alongside Maguire and that will help compliment him.

All that being said, it was a fantastic attacking performance. I'm pleased Rashford got his goal but his overall play since the restart has been very good, Martial looks a different player and full of confidence, Pogba has been excellent since his return and Matic has been superb too. He gives a lot of balance to the midfield. Bruno is just... :drool: what a man. You do have to wonder where we would be had we been able to strike a deal for him in the summer. But also, how were we the only team realistically in for him?!

Greenwood, the boy is going to be a superstar. So accurate and strong off either foot, takes the defender on but doesn't over do it, loves to hit the ball really fecking hard (I love that :drool:) and his game is about goals. What a special talent, it's going to be mint which his game develop.

I think we need to do everything we can and keep this run going. I think we can win every game, and I also think Chelsea and Leicester will drop more points so we need to be totally clinical with any opportunities we get. Plus a FA Cup semi and the EL to look forward to, so it's going to be a very exciting end to the season.

The only thought I would like to pick you brains on more is transfers. Which positions do you view as being essential that we recruit for, and who would you like to see us go for?

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
@Vault Dweller ye it is strange that no one else seemed interested in Bruno, although I think many were put off by his price tag. His failed move to Italy probably had teams wondering if he could make it in a big league but he was probably too young when he made that move - now he has slotted in quicker than anyone couldve possibly imagined.

We will chat about transfers at some point, so much to discuss with the matches being played every few days at the moment - totally forgot to discuss Gomes leaving on this one.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Good stuff as always. Very much agree with the question marks you raise about our defence for the Bournemouth goals. That first goal...How many times could we, and should we, have cleared the ball?! :rolleyes: Speaks to what you said about the Lindelof and Bailly situation. Neither, right now, looks the part. I'd be tempted to give Bailly a go, even though his decision making can be erratic. I thought he earned a run in the side at Stamford Bridge and I hope he gets a run between now and the end of the season. Lindelof is just too passive for me. At least Bailly has pace.

Glad that you noted the development in Martial's game as a central striker.

Agree on the penalty, it looked like it hit Bailly's shoulder to me, and I think VAR was a bit dodgy. Although with Bruno's goal I think VAR ruled that Matic was not in the line of sight of the goalie, and therefore not interfering with play, so his heel being offside was irrelevant. Rashford definitely wasn't offside when he slide tackled the ball in.
Ye I would give Bailly a run in the team, Lindelof has had enough time to prove himself and ultimately falls short.

As Ive said many times, VAR is a total waste of time IMO - where there are still so many contentious decisions it simply isnt worth the time it takes. Although TBF we have done well out of bad VAR decisions!

Vault Dweller

@Vault Dweller ye it is strange that no one else seemed interested in Bruno, although I think many were put off by his price tag. His failed move to Italy probably had teams wondering if he could make it in a big league but he was probably too young when he made that move - now he has slotted in quicker than anyone couldve possibly imagined.

We will chat about transfers at some point, so much to discuss with the matches being played every few days at the moment - totally forgot to discuss Gomes leaving on this one.
Aye you might be right about his move to Italy and that may have put people off. The only other thing I can think of is that Sporting seemed desperate to get rid of him too which might have had an effect. Still mental though, and his impact has been incredible.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Aye you might be right about his move to Italy and that may have put people off. The only other thing I can think of is that Sporting seemed desperate to get rid of him too which might have had an effect. Still mental though, and his impact has been incredible.
Well they knew he was leaving so wanted to cash in before contract became an issue

Vault Dweller

Well they knew he was leaving so wanted to cash in before contract became an issue
Yeah I was more meaning that I wonder if it was one of those situations where clubs saw Sporting were desperate to get him a move which might have made some think 'is he really that good then? Is that a fair price for him?' sort of thing. All a moot point anyway, he's phenomenal :drool:

croadyman

Great podcast as always but must have been so tempting to talk about Sancho who looks to be joining later this summer.

Only wish you didn't have MUTV audio on those Greenwood & Martial goals because Gardner proper lacks emotion in his voice.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Great podcast as always but must have been so tempting to talk about Sancho who looks to be joining later this summer.

Only wish you didn't have MUTV audio on those Greenwood & Martial goals because Gardner proper lacks emotion in his voice.
I usually have a list of topics to cover but things always go off on tangents so Gomes and Sancho didnt make the cut for this episode. Planning to record the next one tonight though

Will try and find some of those crazy Mexican or Arabic commentaries - they are always great! @12OunceEpilogue @mckenic

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
I usually have a list of topics to cover but things always go off on tangents so Gomes and Sancho didnt make the cut for this episode. Planning to record the next one tonight though

Will try and find some of those crazy Mexican or Arabic commentaries - they are always great! @12OunceEpilogue @mckenic
Noted, maybe a Latin Spanish 'GOLGOLGOLGOLGOLGOLGOLGOLGOLGOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL!' for next time. For this one I couldn't nab Sky/BT highlights for some reason so had to go with MUTV, I agree it's always a poor relation.

mckenic

Well I do see some of the matches on computer with non English commentary and its always really interesting to realize you can pick out what is being said about 25% of the time! I thought music was the universal language - turns out football is!

The American commentary is worst IMHO - he fouled the ball? Nah he kicked 7 shades of shite out of the opponent!
(Sorry Ash!)

(for context we have a sub to Sky Sports & MUTV so I dont feel like Im ripping anyone off watching online when not being broadcast by my provider!)

The World's Greatest Football Team?! (Villa)

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
New episode within a week of the last one!
Colm and David go deep on the Villa win, Pogba, Greenwood and Grealish

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
You could have made an executive decision with that title...
I'm not on this one so I don't give a shit !

And @Duafc I don't like talking about pure transfer speculation but I think it's pretty clear we are looking at Grealish and Sancho so they are worth a discussion.
Although I think Grealish might be more of a Pogba replacement, don't think we pay £50m for a bench warmer - he is a better player than his recent form suggests, he's got very little to work with upfront for Villa

Vault Dweller

New episode within a week of the last one!
Colm and David go deep on the Villa win, Pogba, Greenwood and Grealish

Good episode again guys.

I thought we were lethargic until the penalty v Villa, the passing was not very good and we were slow in movement at times as well. After the penalty though we utterly dominated and I agree that the energy just seemed to drain from the Villa players. Easily could have ended up winning the game 4/5.

I must be honest and admit I'm a transfer muppet and have been convinced Sancho is coming for ages now :lol: Grealish is the one that I do think we are looking at him, but I can only see that one being a go-er if we manage to offload Mata, Pereira and Lingard. I don't think he starts, but would offer quality and depth which is what is required for us to move forward.

Excited about the game tonight but the pressure on the game has went up a fair bit after the city news. Fingers crossed there are no issues and we get the job done and move into 3rd place for a bit.

Back To Earth (Chelsea / Palace / Soton)

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Nik @Rood , Colm @Duafc and debutant Jamie @Vault Dweller , go over a mixed week of results at the end of a great run, which has seen us bow out of the FA Cup at the semi final stage but remain on course to sneak into the top four. The lads discuss the state of the squad in this busy run-in and our prospects of getting the results we need in the final two league matches.

Big focus on David De Gea as his miserable form continues - we have already discussed our thoughts about Dean Henderson but that's for next season, should DDG be replaced now?

Vault Dweller

Nik @Rood , Colm @Duafc and debutant Jamie @Vault Dweller , go over a mixed week of results at the end of a great run, which has seen us bow out of the FA Cup at the semi final stage but remain on course to sneak into the top four. The lads discuss the state of the squad in this busy run-in and our prospects of getting the results we need in the final two league matches.

Big focus on David De Gea as his miserable form continues - we have already discussed our thoughts about Dean Henderson but that's for next season, should DDG be replaced now?

Thanks for having me on lads, hopefully it was a solid performance for a debut.

Last edited:

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Agree with @Rood right that we should have rotated more for the Cup semi final. We played a lot of our best players and still lost. May as well have sacked it off and had a fresh team for this week.

I don't blame Ole for not rotating more beforehand. We all saw the Norwich game. Our squad is threadbare. We have another chance to win a trophy via the Europa League. Yes it would have been a big call to sack off the FA Cup but it would have been the right one.

Thanks @Vault Dweller for picking up the fouls. It was actually 21. I remember Herrera being sent off for other people's fouls against Chelsea. The fact Chelsea got away with their persistent fouling shows Lampard got into the heads of the officials. The Zouma one on Martial not being a foul and a red was a case in point: boots him up into the air, denies him a 1v1 aka goalscoring opportunity, no action. How..?

I think @Duafc is right about De Gea having lost his self belief. He's now the same De Gea for us as he is for Spain. That being said I have no confidence in Romero. The goal he let in against Norwich was also pretty bad. Yes he has a lot of clean sheets but I would expect that against the likes of Tranmere and Astana.

Agree with you boys that, despite the sour taste of Sunday's game, we have had a great post lockdown period. Two more wins would make it phenomenal.

Duafc

Village Lemon
Agree with @Rood right that we should have rotated more for the Cup semi final. We played a lot of our best players and still lost. May as well have sacked it off and had a fresh team for this week.

I don't blame Ole for not rotating more beforehand. We all saw the Norwich game. Our squad is threadbare. We have another chance to win a trophy via the Europa League. Yes it would have been a big call to sack off the FA Cup but it would have been the right one.

Thanks @Vault Dweller for picking up the fouls. It was actually 21. I remember Herrera being sent off for other people's fouls against Chelsea. The fact Chelsea got away with their persistent fouling shows Lampard got into the heads of the officials. The Zouma one on Martial not being a foul and a red was a case in point: boots him up into the air, denies him a 1v1 aka goalscoring opportunity, no action. How..?

I think @Duafc is right about De Gea having lost his self belief. He's now the same De Gea for us as he is for Spain. That being said I have no confidence in Romero. The goal he let in against Norwich was also pretty bad. Yes he has a lot of clean sheets but I would expect that against the likes of Tranmere and Astana.

Agree with you boys that, despite the sour taste of Sunday's game, we have had a great post lockdown period. Two more wins would make it phenomenal.
Yeah, oddly, as totally fed up with DDG as I am, I’d still start him next two games, Romero is a cup goalie and gets better the longer he stays on the bench!

It’s just all about next season with DDG and I’d love us to be as ruthless as possible around that situation.

Withnail

Thanks for having me on lads, hopefully it was a solid performance for a debut.
You did well man. The first time is always the toughest.

Yeah, oddly, as totally fed up with DDG as I am, I’d still start him next two games, Romero is a cup goalie and gets better the longer he stays on the bench!

It’s just all about next season with DDG and I’d love us to be as ruthless as possible around that situation.
I'd agree on Romero, I don't share the confidence many have in him.

Good Pod Lads!

Squeaky Bumtime

What to say lads other than it was a great pod.
Strong debut by @Vault Dweller , really Brunoesque. :)

Agree on pretty much everything.
Players are tired and I hope it wont be a deciding factor in next 2 games. Agree with @Rood that overall, despite last 3 games it's been a positive last 10 days (was it, too much games, lost the track of time) and we're in a strong position for top 4.
We should have rotated more but generally cant blame Ole for going with the strongest lineup as much as possible. Our bench is thin in quality and he wanted to make sure we get the results which we did. We overcame a huge points gap after the brake and now we should bare the fruit of our good work.

Agree with @Duafc about no purpose in going back to 3 at the back again despite the fact we've beaten City with it. Ole should have gone with the same formation and give Chelsea a game so they ajdust to us, not to other way around. We played them and City with 3 at the back cause it was the best way to counter them and to play on the counter but as you said this is a different United which plays on the front foot and not reactive, waiting to counter the opponent. Of course you counter when you have a chance like against Brighton that beautiful goal (was it) but generally now we're becoming a team which settles a rhythm and that's how it should be.
I just feel the whole Chelsea game was about the 'old United' creeping in a bit again. The old I mean the one from the beginning of the season when we had Pereira and Lingard starting. Of course tiredness played a factor but we played like we weren't sure in our strenghts and like we lacked confidence which we had in abundance in the last few weeks. Similar against Southampton, instead of going for 3rd we waited for the game to finish and got punished.

Hopefully we wont make the same mistake today and I really hope we wont start slowly cause every time we do that we get in trouble. God forbid we concede first today.

Great @Vault Dweller picked on those Chelsea fouls. That was ridiculous, they got away with basically kicking us around for 90 minutes. Oh and Le Tissier is a dick. Challenge which nearly broke Mason's foot is not a foul. Oh really Matt?

Lastly DDG. I think he shouldn't be dropped 2 games before the season ends but he's been in a really bad form and that has been going for 2 years basically. Ole should have started Romero on Sunday cause he's our cup goalie and it wasn't so nice to drop him for that game. Also it would have given a chance to DDG to rest a bit and think about his form up until that.

Sorry guys if I mixed who said what, listened it while at work so wasn't 100 percent into it, just 90. :D

Vault Dweller

It was unreal man, the sheer number of fouls from them was ridiculous. The big one was the Azpi one on Rashford and also the one on Bruno, when he got away with both of those without being booked I just knew the ref wasn't going to take any serious action.

You did well man. The first time is always the toughest.

I'd agree on Romero, I don't share the confidence many have in him.

Good Pod Lads!
Cheers man! Yes the debut nerves were there a wee bit but thoroughly enjoyed chatting with the boys.

Great @Vault Dweller picked on those Chelsea fouls. That was ridiculous, they got away with basically kicking us around for 90 minutes. Oh and Le Tissier is a dick. Challenge which nearly broke Mason's foot is not a foul. Oh really Matt?
Thanks man I'll take that! :D

Aye I was really unhappy with the refereeing on Sunday, it was awful. And Matt Le Tissier is definitely a knob.

Alock1

@Vault Dweller you were awesome mate - why haven't you ever come on the show before?

Definitely welcome back!

Vault Dweller

@Vault Dweller you were awesome mate - why haven't you ever come on the show before?

Definitely welcome back!
Thanks a lot man, I'm glad you enjoyed listening to me on the pod! Unfortunately I've just not had the correct equipment (I had an Ipad for years but then it broke so was making do with my phone) then eventually managed to get a laptop sorted out. Was really pleased to be able to join the boys for a chat!

Cheers mate! Would be good to speak to you one time too!

yan man utd

Agree on pretty much everything.
Players are tired and I hope it wont be a deciding factor in next 2 games. Agree with @Rood that overall, despite last 3 games it's been a positive last 10 days (was it, too much games, lost the track of time) and we're in a strong position for top 4.
We should have rotated more but generally cant blame Ole for going with the strongest lineup as much as possible. Our bench is thin in quality and he wanted to make sure we get the results which we did. We overcame a huge points gap after the brake and now we should bare the fruit of our good work.

Agree with @Duafc about no purpose in going back to 3 at the back again despite the fact we've beaten City with it. Ole should have gone with the same formation and give Chelsea a game so they ajdust to us, not to other way around. We played them and City with 3 at the back cause it was the best way to counter them and to play on the counter but as you said this is a different United which plays on the front foot and not reactive, waiting to counter the opponent. Of course you counter when you have a chance like against Brighton that beautiful goal (was it) but generally now we're becoming a team which settles a rhythm and that's how it should be.
I just feel the whole Chelsea game was about the 'old United' creeping in a bit again. The old I mean the one from the beginning of the season when we had Pereira and Lingard starting. Of course tiredness played a factor but we played like we weren't sure in our strenghts and like we lacked confidence which we had in abundance in the last few weeks. Similar against Southampton, instead of going for 3rd we waited for the game to finish and got punished.

Hopefully we wont make the same mistake today and I really hope we wont start slowly cause every time we do that we get in trouble. God forbid we concede first today.

Lastly DDG. I think he shouldn't be dropped 2 games before the season ends but he's been in a really bad form and that has been going for 2 years basically. Ole should have started Romero on Sunday cause he's our cup goalie and it wasn't so nice to drop him for that game. Also it would have given a chance to DDG to rest a bit and think about his form up until that.

Sorry guys if I mixed who said what, listened it while at work so wasn't 100 percent into it, just 90. :D
Quality post bro.. lots of good points
Especially re switch in formation. We have progressed and this is a new United and you’re absolutely right - it did not make sense to go backwards and play that formation, particularly as it disrupted our momentum.

It certainly is a time for reflection for us supporters whether we get CL qualification over the line or not.

Our nerves are frayed - but - in sync with your comments, we’re Man Utd, yes we need a performance and a break.: however it could all have been avoided. We should have easily qualified already and be in the fa cup final.

if Lampard or Leicester beats us to it we must accept its game over for Ole

we are not the nursery school for managers, chairmen or X factor for contrived star players

this mayhem would never happen at real or Barca. Man Utd is the biggest club in the world

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Quality post bro.. lots of good points
Especially re switch in formation. We have progressed and this is a new United and you’re absolutely right - it did not make sense to go backwards and play that formation, particularly as it disrupted our momentum.

It certainly is a time for reflection for us supporters whether we get CL qualification over the line or not.

Our nerves are frayed - but - in sync with your comments, we’re Man Utd, yes we need a performance and a break.: however it could all have been avoided. We should have easily qualified already and be in the fa cup final.

if Lampard or Leicester beats us to it we must accept its game over for Ole

we are not the nursery school for managers, chairmen or X factor for contrived star players

this mayhem would never happen at real or Barca. Man Utd is the biggest club in the world
I think chasing the cup final is ultimately what has stalled our league form, I would have rotated a lot more for Norwich as well as Chelsea

I think Ole gets another season regardless of Sundays result but hes got to learn to use the squad at the right time. Fred, McT and Ighalo should have had a lot more minutes since lockdown