United Hour podcast - Vorsprung Durch Rangnick

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Willkommen! Wie geht es euch allen?

This week Nik (@Rood) and Jamie (@Vault Dweller) discuss the arrival of The Ralf. They look back on the Villarreal and Chelsea matches and ask where this kind of effort has been in the past months.The dynamic duo chat about tactics and what to expect from Rangnick while giving us a rundown of his C.V. and asking what does two years consultancy actually mean? Finally, the lads finish out this podcast with listeners questions and discuss youth players and squad places under the new main man. Enjoy the show!

Listen to the episode on our new hosting site, Sport Social! - https://podcast.sport-social.co.uk/podcast/united-hour/

Also please share, tweet, follow and all that good stuff
Apple: https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/united-hour/id902792476
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/manchesterunitedpodcast/
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/unitedhour/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/United_Hour
Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/UnitedHour

Let us know what you think of the pod troops - agree or disagree on the points made? Questions for next week?

What are your opinions on Ralf taking the interim role and what are your hopes / expectations? Are you now excited for the rest of the season? Let us know!

Don't forget to visit https://uk.manscaped.com/?redirect=1 and get 20% off plus Free Shipping when you use the code UNITEDHOUR - Don't miss out!

EggMan85

Perfect timing - I was just about to head out for a run so I've now got my soundtrack to keep me entertained.

Widow

Another great listen, lads.

I know Pouch has been the bookies favourite to take over in the summer but surely wreck it Ralf's style would be a great fit for the vertical tiki-taka of Ten Hag. It just seems like a perfect transaction from one to the other.

Vault Dweller

Another great listen, lads.

I know Pouch has been the bookies favourite to take over in the summer but surely wreck it Ralf's style would be a great fit for the vertical tiki-taka of Ten Hag. It just seems like a perfect transaction from one to the other.
Cheers!

Agreed on Ten Haag. I think 6 months with Ralf to get the ideas and foundations in place and then go for Ten Haag is the ideal way to move forward. With RR having a big say he might identify someone we haven't even thought of yet but who matches how he wants to play. As I said on the pod, I really can't help but be excited by what may happen over the next year or so.

Real Name

Sehr gut podcast, est macht mir viel Spass.

Agree about the style part, we need to stop the chopping and changing the style how we play and hopefully starting with RR will set a tone and stick with it for a forseeable future.

Vault Dweller

Sehr gut podcast, est macht mir viel Spass.

Agree about the style part, we need to stop the chopping and changing the style how we play and hopefully starting with RR will set a tone and stick with it for a forseeable future.
Dankeschön!

Yeah fingers crossed we decide on one style and stick with it.

Class thread title, would like to see a flag of this at the ground if RR does well :)
That would be brilliant :lol:

Lyng

Super episode Jungs!
Wir sind alle mit diesem Zug von der Leitung im siebten Himmel!!

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Another solid listen.

Like yourselves I was a bit baffled to see the media speculating about Rangnick having an impact on our team at Chelsea. Given that, as you pointed out, Ole used a 4-4-2 diamond a lot in his first season. Used it last season at home to Leipzig too. What we saw at Chelsea was back to basics as @Rood said. Seeing people turn something we've seen lots into a talking point was surreal.

Also find it really strange to see the players applying themselves so differently, under the same coaching staff, just cos one guy went. Psychology I guess? Not something I get.

Like everyone else I'm very excited about Rangnick. Obviously it could all go pear shaped. However, if he comes in and turns things around, we need to make sure we plan so that what he starts can be taken forward. I'm just hoping that, after pretty much a decade of missteps, we're finally setting ourselves up to do things properly.

PS) We should have won that Chelsea game. Sloppy penalty to concede. If the guy just has a look around him before trying to hoof it he'll see Silva coming. Could've just stepped forward, let Silva smash into him and bought a free kick.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Good listen lads. Except for Rood - the real positive bastard!

Amir

PS) We should have won that Chelsea game. Sloppy penalty to concede. If the guy just has a look around him before trying to hoof it he'll see Silva coming. Could've just stepped forward, let Silva smash into him and bought a free kick.
Chelsea would rightly point out they also gave away a cheap goal. There's no way I can look at that match and find a reason we should have won it.

Chelsea would rightly point out they also gave away a cheap goal. There's no way I can look at that match and find a reason we should have won it.
We were 1-0 up. Doesn't matter how we got there. Doesn't matter if it went in off of Mendy's ar$e. Once you go a goal up you have to manage the score.

I can remember that first time Ole sprung the diamond at Spurs, when we won 1-0 thanks to Rashford and about 17 magnificent saves from DeGea. Spurs will probably argue they deserved to win that match. Maybe they did? But the big difference is once we got 1-0 up we kept it that way. Chelsea were on top but, mostly, it was quite comfortable for United's back line. Probably the best we've defended set pieces all season. Yet that one f-k up cost us the three points.

Amir

We were 1-0 up. Doesn't matter how we got there. Doesn't matter if it went in off of Mendy's ar$e. Once you go a goal up you have to manage the score.
True. But still, it's a very one sided way to look at it.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Also find it really strange to see the players applying themselves so differently, under the same coaching staff, just cos one guy went. Psychology I guess? Not something I get.
Yes it is a weird one - I mean you can understand it when a new manager comes in with new ideas etc but, like you say, same coaches and no big changes in line up or tactics

Just shows how important the mental side of the game is

Good listen lads. Except for Rood - the real positive bastard!
:D don't forget, the Treble is still possible!

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Yes it is a weird one - I mean you can understand it when a new manager comes in with new ideas etc but, like you say, same coaches and no big changes in line up or tactics

Haha, Nik you’re a good host and it’s good that it’s not an echo chamber. It keeps the discussion going and different view are aired. Though, I must admit, my dog kind of looked at me like I was shouting at it when you were giving the whole we’re still not too bad in terms of points — I was like: Nik; all our fecking rivals played each other!! It’s a great pod and my favourite by far as it’s actually something from the caf.

Looking at the glass half full rather than half empty. There are 25 games left. Were we to win 23 or 24 of those we'd still be in with a shout. :p

Last edited:

Livewire1974

If it moves, report it.
Another great pod, was going to start a thread on the @Rood suggestion that Rangnick trains up Carrick to be the next manager, ah well.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Another great pod, was going to start a thread on the @Rood suggestion that Rangnick trains up Carrick to be the next manager, ah well.
Even while watching the match yesterday I was thinking how perfect it would be if Rangnick could mentor Carrick to be the next manager but alas it was not to be

but who knows, maybe we'll see Carrick back in the dugout after he's earned his shot elsewhere

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
Even in this game Nik manages to be an xg apologist :lol:

Mentions Chelsea's xg being inflated by having a penalty but fails to mention Sancho's chance following an inexplicable mistake from Jorginho. From the stats I've seen,

0.76 of Chelsea's 2.56 xg was the penalty. For United, 0.51 of United 0.56 xg were Sancho's goal. Take those 2 chances out the game and the xg becomes 1.8 vs 0.05.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Even in this game Nik manages to be an xg apologist :lol:

Mentions Chelsea's xg being inflated by having a penalty but fails to mention Sancho's chance following an inexplicable mistake from Jorginho. From the stats I've seen,

0.76 of Chelsea's 2.56 xg was the penalty. For United, 0.51 of United 0.56 xg were Sancho's goal. Take those 2 chances out the game and the xg becomes 1.8 vs 0.05.
I didn't say it was inflated or anything like that - don't put words in my mouth!

I said clearly we were lucky to get a draw

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
I didn't say it was inflated or anything like that - don't put words in my mouth!

I said clearly we were lucky to get a draw
You mentioned the xg and said 'remember they did have a penalty though which was basically 1 xg of theirs' with no mention for our own :lol:

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
You mentioned the xg and said 'remember they did have a penalty though which was basically 1 xg of theirs' with no mention for our own :lol:
If that's the only nit you can pick in this episode then I'm doing well !