United Hour - The Anfield Nap

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
The dream team that is Imran, Colm and Jamie get together minutes after the final whistle at Anfield to discuss the much anticipated top of the table clash. They discuss whether a draw was a good result in the context of the game whilst also wrestling with the disappointment of not fully exploiting that Liverpool makeshift centre back pairing.

They also put some respect on Luke Shaw's name, praise the defence in general, criticise our overall play, and discuss the fact that United still haven't beaten a top 6 side yet this season... And if all that wasn't enough, they also have an Imran's Stupid Game that's so stupid, it might just retire the format...

Also please share, tweet, follow and all that good stuff
Apple: https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/united-hour/id902792476
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/manchesterunitedpodcast/
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/unitedhour/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/United_Hour
Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/UnitedHour

UmbroDays

The spoonerisms...haha

I watch Richard Osman's House of Games, so I am used to them and got most of them (except the Burnley one)

iammemphis

iwillnotaskforanamechangeagain
That game at the end had me in near hysterics :lol:. Chris Wood....Wood fall :houllier::houllier::houllier::lol::lol::lol:. I also laughed out loud when Jamie said his Mrs was a fan of manscape aswell :lol:. Glad she's finally been able to shave her balls with no nipping.

Great show. And as always greatly appreciated.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Totally agree with @Duafc that Im still confused by the rationale behind switching Martial/Rashford/Pogba around - there are often things a manager does that I dont agree with but I can usually see some logic behind it, this time I have no idea apart from maybe the element of surprise. Was disappointing that we didnt test their makeshift CB pairing a bit more, I put that mostly down to Bruno and Pogba failing with the key passes (BTW both of them with PA around 60% which is terrible even if they are sometimes attempting difficult long switches)

Also on the point of being too pragmatic vs big teams, as mentioned the times we had the best performances (in terms of attacking intent and chances created) were vs PSG and City, yet we lost both so its not that surprising that Ole reverts to this.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
@UmbroDays , here's two from the cutting room floor

1. What you hit when if you’re very close to scoring AND Robert Lewandowski arising from the grave

2. London club known for being a bit rough AND a shopping centre made up of legal documents for the deceased

@Duafc and @Vault Dweller ... I'm sure you can get them this time!

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
@UmbroDays , here's two from the cutting room floor

1. What you hit when if you’re very close to scoring AND Robert Lewandowski arising from the grave

2. London club known for being a bit rough AND a shopping centre made up of legal documents for the deceased

@Duafc and @Vault Dweller ... I'm sure you can get them this time!
Not a clue man :lol: can maybe get half of each answer!

croadyman

Totally agree with @Duafc that Im still confused by the rationale behind switching Martial/Rashford/Pogba around - there are often things a manager does that I dont agree with but I can usually see some logic behind it, this time I have no idea apart from maybe the element of surprise. Was disappointing that we didnt test their makeshift CB pairing a bit more, I put that mostly down to Bruno and Pogba failing with the key passes (BTW both of them with PA around 60% which is terrible even if they are sometimes attempting difficult long switches)

Also on the point of being too pragmatic vs big teams, as mentioned the times we had the best performances (in terms of attacking intent and chances created) were vs PSG and City, yet we lost both so its not that surprising that Ole reverts to this.
Yeah there is a real sense of aggravation we didn't test their CB's a bit more but annoyingly Fabinho just seems to be able to just slot into that defence and there is no serious drop off like you saw from City when Fernandinho was playing there at times last season. What do you think we should do different tactically when it comes to our first big six game away at The Emirates in 12 days time.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Pogba's Drool - Drogba's Pool. Absolute carnage :lol:

On the game your thoughts roughly mirror my own; obviously a draw is fine but it would be nice to see us able to go up a gear and the first 30/35 mins were downright bad regardless of gameplan. Also Shaw was fantastic.

always_hoping

On the topic of the "fact" United haven't beaten a top 6 side.

Why is the win against Everton away whom are currently 6th and are well capable of finishing top 6th with Carlo in charge ignored?

So far United had 1 defeat against this seasons top 6 and that 1 defeat had a lot to do with going down to 10 men and going into that game with poor fitness due to no pre season.

croadyman

On the topic of the "fact" United haven't beaten a top 6 side.

Why is the win against Everton away whom are currently 6th and are well capable of finishing top 6th with Carlo in charge ignored?

So far United had 1 defeat against this seasons top 6 and that 1 defeat had a lot to do with going down to 10 men and going into that game with poor fitness due to no pre season.
You make a good point because it could be argued that Everton have taken Arsenal's place this season

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Yeah there is a real sense of aggravation we didn't test their CB's a bit more but annoyingly Fabinho just seems to be able to just slot into that defence and there is no serious drop off like you saw from City when Fernandinho was playing there at times last season. What do you think we should do different tactically when it comes to our first big six game away at The Emirates in 12 days time.
Fabinho has played there quite a few times now - it was Henderson we needed to target, especially in the air, which is why I would have started Cavani.

Not sure that tactics was even the issue Vs Liverpool. The likes of Bruno and Pogba just didn't pass well enough - although perhaps we can be more patient than going for the first time Hollywood ball everytime

I also question whether Arsenal are a top6 club nowadays (Leicester have a claim) but anyway we don't actually have a good record against them recently and now is the time to sort that out

Last edited:

croadyman

Fabinho has played there quite a few times now - it was Henderson we needed to target, especially in the air, which is why I would have started Cavani.

Not sure that tactics was even the issue Vs Liverpool. The likes of Bruno and Pogba just didn't pass well enough - although perhaps we can be more patient than going for the first time Hollywood ball everytime

I also question whether Arsenal are a top6 club nowadays (Leicester have a claim) but anyway we don't actually have a good record against them recently and now is the time to sort that out
Yeah our last two performances at Arsenal have certainly not been up to the required standard that's for sure and need to be much better on Jan 30, in regards to Cavani I totally agree with you and think he should be starting in all the remaining big six games this season and certainly would have given Henderson much more of an issue than Tony did. There is no doubt that Bruno has been top drawer for us but there are definitely times where he and Pogba should look to make a simple pass rather than as you describe the Hollywood one.

always_hoping

Leicester should finish in the top 5 for the 2nd year running Arsenal the opposite. Arse have become a bogey side for United recently much like Wolves but neither are current top 6 teams.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Yeah our last two performances at Arsenal have certainly not been up to the required standard that's for sure and need to be much better on Jan 30, in regards to Cavani I totally agree with you and think he should be starting in all the remaining big six games this season and certainly would have given Henderson much more of an issue than Tony did. There is no doubt that Bruno has been top drawer for us but there are definitely times where he and Pogba should look to make a simple pass rather than as you describe the Hollywood one.
TBF it was Rashford upfront rather than Tony (I'm still unsure why Ole switched them) but I agree with the point on Cavani for this match but not necessarily all the big ones