United linked with van Gaal in the meeja

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Van Gaal would be better than Moyes certainly. If he had been appointed as SAF's replacement I would have been distinctly underwhelmed and doubtful though. Far from convinced he'd be the right man for this job so, while I do hope Moyes goes, I also hope this story isn't true at all.
This is true, but the entire situation has now fundamentally altered. Most of us were worried about change when Fergie was on the way out, we'd been dominant for so long that the most tempting idea was that someone would come in and keep the great man's work ticking along. We've now moved to a stage where change is the most desirable thing in the world, such is the regression. The question's moved from being "how is this person similar to Fergie?" to "what will this person be able to add to the club?" Van Gaal is someone that's a proven winner, is a dominant personality and plays good football. He genuinely believes in youth development and should leave a good legacy even in only a short period of time. Of course there are downsides - primarily being that he's a bit of a dick and unlikely to last long, and his transfer history is questionable. But if everyone's ideal is Klopp and he's not available yet for another few years, a short term injection to get us back where we need to be is surely a decent solution?

binary bot
We were doubting Mourinho last year and his potential problems:lol: Oh how it's changed

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Not really a surprise the club has denied any talks. It might be nonsense but either way I would be truly amazed if Glazers didn't consider their options as things stand right now.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
A Dutch poster on Reddit posted this:

They're one of our more respected newspapers. When it comes to news related to personalities who have a lot of contacts with Ajax they are pretty reliable. And seeing how there probably is still some bad blood between the paper and van Gaal because of the recent Ajax takeover where they clearly supported Cruijff instead of him, I doubt that van Gaal leaked the news to the paper himself.
Make of that what you will. On the denial by the club, it was already denied by the club last night the Mirror, so that's nothing new.

NK86

The most obvious answer: he'd prefer the United job and is trying to plant the seed and draw us out. Plus he can use it to engineer a better deal from Spurs.
The first point is what I don't understand. If we want him we will approach him without his agent having to plant seeds for it. I can understand the second part but as I said, a figure must have been discussed during the earlier approach. Anway, I hope there is truth to it.

quethenoo

Van Gaal's cv is pretty impressive. He's won league titles in Holland, Spain, and Germany as well as a European Cup and a UEFA Cup. Not too shabby at all.
Yeah im not too sure why people are unsure of his track record, add to that the general experience of managing three top tier clubs and one premier nation and it looks pretty decent to me. (OK ajax were top tier)

Sixpence

Erroneously Promoted
The biggest thing about his CV is that he's actually managed big clubs. This is as important an aspect as anything, as we've realised.

Ubik

A Dutch poster on Reddit posted this:

Make of that what you will. On the denial by the club, it was already denied by the club last night the Mirror, so that's nothing new.
So it's more or less like one of the broadsheets over here reporting it, which would have a decent level of credibility. There's always the chance they got bad information, but promising nonetheless.

Needham

Van Gaal's cv is pretty impressive. He's won league titles in Holland, Spain, and Germany as well as a European Cup and a UEFA Cup. Not too shabby at all.
Does anyone know how he gets on with Van Persie? Dutch football folk often seem to grudge-bearingly rub each other up the wrong way.

Sixpence

Erroneously Promoted
Does anyone know how he gets on with Van Persie? Dutch football folk often seem to grudge-bearingly rub each other up the wrong way.
They were photographed sitting together at a match in Holland a few weeks back. Safe to assume they get on.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Would be perfect to have in place right up until Klops contract runs out.
I'd be inclined to agree. Klopp and Guardiola will both become available at some stage over the next five years, not this summer though, van Gaal would be the appropriate choice 'til then.

MkPaul

learnt from the best
Van Gaal to take over while Klopp see's out his Dortmund contract.

Would there be a better headline than that?

But yeah, in reality it's probably a load of shite.

Ubik

Van Persie is his captain I believe. I think this was discussed on here a month or so back, they apparently had a falling out at the beginning because they're dutch, but get along well now.

Needham

We've got to go for him. I don't believe in this ten players out ten players in revolution. It's too many in one go and carries too many risks, risks that could take years to correct. Some of the current squad will return to another level of performance under the hopefully intimidating influence of a hard nosed winner. Pochetino has not won anything, we won't be extracting an Everton manager two seasons in a row, Simeone even speaks English?, Rodgers can't happen for north-west socio-historical reasons, and we let the best manager in the world take a job he's already done. Which Glazer is it down to to make this call?

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
So some would rather persist with the Moyes experiment over a proven winner who happens to tick a lot of the boxes?

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
I can't believe that Rodgers even gets mentioned in these discussions. Are things so ridiculously short-term nowadays that the likes of Rodgers gets mooted for some of the biggest jobs in football management - from United to Barca - on the basis of one season?

What a surreal joke of a season this has been...and not just for us either.

markorm

Sound like his agent could be spinning some interest away from the spurs job to strengthen his hand, but saying that it's come out in two papers now and the speed in which the club have jumped on this to deny it is not normal.

But all in all, if it is remotely true, would we want him here? He's a bit of a bellend isn't he. And he hasn't really set the world on fire.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I heard he's a bit shit in the transfer market. Is that true?

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
I can't believe that Rodgers even gets mentioned in these discussions. Are things so ridiculously short-term nowadays that the likes of Rodgers gets mooted for some of the biggest jobs in football management -from United to Barca - on the basis of one season?

If there's one thing evident on redcafe, you're only as good as your last five games.

Ubik

I heard he's a bit shit in the transfer market. Is that true?
His main focus seems to be on getting the existing staff playing to their potential and bringing through youngsters. Robben seemingly had to be forced on him when at Bayern.

SATA

This story could be bullshit or have a grain of truth who knows.

But i can't believe some are in here actually spouting guff that United wouldn't approach another manager whilst Moyes in still in charge.

Do people actually believe shit like that?

Yes because our club has way more morals than every other club, yeah right.

Moyes was on tv the other night admitting in an interview that we have been tapping players up the idiot. And we've been at that for years. Do you think we waited until Big Ron cleared out his desk before before approaching Ferguson, did we feck.

And lets not forget the biggest recent example where a manager contracted to Everton football club was called over to Fergies house to be told hes the next United manager, do you think we asked Bill Kenright for permission to speak to Moyes? Again did we feck.

United wouldn't speak to another manager while moyes is still in charge, jesus wept the shit you hear on here.
When did this happen? Any direct quotes from him?

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Didn't he say a few years back that he was set to replace Sir Alex when he was going to retire in 2002?

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
His main focus seems to be on getting the existing staff playing to their potential and bringing through youngsters. Robben seemingly had to be forced on him when at Bayern.
He will be loved by our money men as opposed to Mr 'I need to rebuild this shit team SAF's left me' Moyes. However my concerns is that no one will force a player on us so the danger of a Wenger Mark 2 is real.

I prefer Simeone to this wash up who was kicked out by nearly all the big clubs he managed.

saivet

I know next to nothing about Van Gaal, when people say he's controversial, what's he actually done to get that tag?

bobbyf

We've got to go for him. I don't believe in this ten players out ten players in revolution. It's too many in one go and carries too many risks, risks that could take years to correct. Some of the current squad will return to another level of performance under the hopefully intimidating influence of a hard nosed winner. Pochetino has not won anything, we won't be extracting an Everton manager two seasons in a row, Simeone even speaks English?, Rodgers can't happen for north-west socio-historical reasons, and we let the best manager in the world take a job he's already done. Which Glazer is it down to to make this call?
Absolutely right. It's much too disruptive and should have started more gradually last summer. And which champions ever needed 'overhauling'? It's complete idiocy.

SAF's successor should have been someone with similar levels of achievement in the game cos of the team they would inherit and Van Gaal fits that. SAF probably asked our players to give Moyes a chance, but he obviously is incapable of getting the best out of them so how can they continue playing for him? Since the whole lot of them are not all leaving, that is. They will respond better to someone with a bigger reputation.

Too many people compare SAF's early years to Moyes, but the level of the team is totally different now. They need a top manager, even one with would a good footballing philosophy might struggle. We keep hearing this rubbish about our squad being average, but that's an overreaction since they challenged for everything. And if people think our current players are no good, who do they think will want to sign with Moyes in the job? Not many players of any real quality.

Sam

He will be loved by our money men as opposed to Mr 'I need to rebuild this shit team SAF's left me' Moyes. However my concerns is that no one will force a player on us so the danger of a Wenger Mark 2 is real.

I prefer Simeone than this wash up who was kicked out by nearly all the big clubs he managed.
What's Simone's record before Athletico? Just looking at Wiki quickly, he's managed 7 clubs since 2006, doesn't fill me with confidence.

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
I can't believe that Rodgers even gets mentioned in these discussions. Are things so ridiculously short-term nowadays that the likes of Rodgers gets mooted for some of the biggest jobs in football management - from United to Barca - on the basis of one season?

Well he got the Liverpool job based on one season. That's not going too bad for him so far.

I agree with the sentiment though. The likes of Pochettino being suggested is silly.

Status
Not open for further replies.