United linked with van Gaal in the meeja

Status
Not open for further replies.

saivet

Well he got the Liverpool job based on one season. That's not going too bad for him so far.

I agree with the sentiment though. The likes of Pochettino being suggested is silly.
Pochettino gets his side playing good football, but they way people talk of them you'd think they'd be higher, just 2 points above Newcastle who are apparently shit.

itso 7

I can't believe that Rodgers even gets mentioned in these discussions. Are things so ridiculously short-term nowadays that the likes of Rodgers gets mooted for some of the biggest jobs in football management - from United to Barca - on the basis of one season?

What a surreal joke of a season this has been...and not just for us either.
When David Fecking Moyes is a unanimous choice for that said club then anything is possible, what had Moyes done in over a decade of football to earn this job ?

Infra-red

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
What's Simone's record before Athletico? Just looking at Wiki quickly, he's managed 7 clubs since 2006, doesn't fill me with confidence.
He's 43 years old and had won 2 Argentinian league titles, 1 Copa Del Rey, 1 Europa League title and 1 UEFA Super cup

To put things in the right concept

SAF won 2 SPL leagues, 3 Scottish leagues cups, 1 UEFA Super cup and 1 UEFA Cups winners club
Sir Matt won 1 EPL title, 1 FA cup, 1 Charity Shield.
Ancelotti won 1 Intertoto cup, 1 Coppa Italia
Wenger won 1 French league and 1 French cup
Heynkes won 1 German League and 1 German Super cup

And the likes of Capello and Moyes have won nothing.

Id say that in terms of what he has won at his age, he's amongst the top lads already.

Pyroblazer

That's a hot jacket, man
Would be great for us, imo exactly what we need. A strong person who finally change our old fashioned-approach to the modern game and will build the foundations for our future. Will give young players a chance, but still I am pretty sure he will spend money, we don't have many special player in our academy who are ready for the first team and he will look for new signings, especially in midfield, to play his brand of football. I don't think it's true, but would be a good sign, if our board would look at least for some other options outthere.

Sam

He's 43 years old and had won 2 Argentinian league titles, 1 Copa Del Rey, 1 Europa League title and 1 UEFA Super cup

To put things in the right concept

SAF won 2 SPL leagues, 3 Scottish leagues cups, 1 UEFA Super cup and 1 UEFA Cups winners club
Sir Matt won 1 EPL title, 1 FA cup, 1 Charity Shield.
Ancelotti won 1 Intertoto cup, 1 Coppa Italia
Wenger won 1 French league and 1 French cup
Heynkes won 1 German League and 1 German Super cup

And the likes of Capello and Moyes have won nothing.
Ah fair enough. I wasn't sure how succesful he'd been pre-Athletico. The 2 league titles in Argentina would suggest pretty succesful.

Why's he had so many clubs though?

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Ah fair enough. I wasn't sure how succesful he'd been pre-Athletico. The 2 league titles in Argentina would suggest pretty succesful.

At Racing, the club changed ownership so he left. For the rest I believe he was only given short term contracts.

Infra-red

Yup, sounds like SAF to me.
Indeed, although I'm not sure Ferguson was quite so extreme. Having said that, Fergie probably benefited from being at one club for such a long period, and having the nest feathered around him. If he had frequently moved clubs in the way van Gaal has done, perhaps he'd have built up a very similar reputation.

Blasphemy

Mostly because Presidents/Club owners in Italy and Argentina are idiots.

Racing, his first club for example have had 26 managers in the last 13 years. River Plate had 12 between 2000 and 2012.

Catania (his only club outside of Argentina before Atletico) have had 25 managers in the last 14 years.

Nobody ever lasts long at these clubs no matter who they are. He won the leagues with River and Estudiantes and was still sacked only three months into the new season at both clubs. You can't hold such stupidity against him.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
I think most would agree that should Simeone be attainable, we should go for it. The problem is that like Klopp he's got a good thing going at his current club, and probably sees more potential there before feeling the need to move on. The point with Van Gaal is we know fairly certainly he'd agree to joining.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Van Gaal would be perfect for us to rebuild. He probably wouldn't oversee us during our next glory years or next period of dominance, but he'd lay the foundations of the club better then anyone for the way forward, get in the right players but not spend money for the sake of it which I feel like Moyes is going to do. We'd be competing at the top as well for sure, and put up a fight for the champions league and definitely play better football. None of this bullshit with United of all teams being in fecking 7th place :lol:

Also you can be sure that he won't be influenced and pick players just because their big names and all that. We need a strong, experienced manager who demands respect more then anything right now. We needed it after Sir Alex left. Then in a few years when he retires, we can go after Klopp, De Boer or Simeone once they are ready to leave and we'll be in a much better position for them to take over easily. It was always going to be hard for whoever took over after Sir Alex. That's why it had to be an experienced man who knew how to manage a big club. It's a joke that we went after someone with as little experience as Moyes, let alone someone who showed none of the qualities to become United manager.

What we absolutely shouldn't do is stick with Moyes. That's guaranteed to lead to wasting loads of money this summer and replace players who don't need replacing, and probably still won't even make the champions league next season.

rednev

There is non worthy of worship except God

bosnian_red

The guy sounds like an asshole in fairness.

We should just offer Klopp a lot of money. He might be tempted.
Nice guys don't make top managers. Need to be a cocky, arrogant prick and command respect. Just like Fergie was, like Mourinho is, etc.

Drummer

Why would they go for van gaal? It's the exact kind of short term , bandaid strategy I feared we may end up doing!

Why wouldn't the club just break the bank for klopp if they are going to replace DM?

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Van Gaal would be perfect for us to rebuild. He probably wouldn't oversee us during our next glory years or next period of dominance, but he'd lay the foundations of the club better then anyone for the way forward, get in the right players but not spend money for the sake of it which I feel like Moyes is going to do. We'd be competing at the top as well for sure, and put up a fight for the champions league and definitely play better football. None of this bullshit with United of all teams being in fecking 7th place :lol:

Also you can be sure that he won't be influenced and pick players just because their big names and all that. We need a strong, experienced manager who demands respect more then anything right now. We needed it after Sir Alex left. Then in a few years when he retires, we can go after Klopp, De Boer or Simeone once they are ready to leave and we'll be in a much better position for them to take over easily. It was always going to be hard for whoever took over after Sir Alex. That's why it had to be an experienced man who knew how to manage a big club. It's a joke that we went after someone with as little experience as Moyes, let alone someone who showed none of the qualities to become United manager.

What we absolutely shouldn't do is stick with Moyes. That's guaranteed to lead to wasting loads of money this summer and replace players who don't need replacing, and probably still won't even make the champions league next season.
He's actually Moyes' antithesis when you think about it. Won everything over a string of different clubs, massively self-confident, insists on attacking football and wouldn't say that he requires a lot of spending to fix the team.

His ego could potentially clash with Fergie, but I'd actually think there would be immense mutual respect there. And to be honest, Fergie should probably minimise his presence until things have stabilised.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Alternatively we could wait till Bayern win their semi-final and try Ancelotti?

bosnian_red

Why would they go for van gaal? It's the exact kind of short term , bandaid strategy I feared we may end up doing!

Why wouldn't the club just break the bank for klopp if they are going to replace DM?
Because Klopp wouldn't be available. Not all about the money. And this short term fix is exactly what we need now and what we needed when Sir Alex retired. Van Gaal has experience with top teams and top players, wouldn't crumble under the pressure like Moyes or inexperienced managers, and would know what needs to be done to get us back to the top. He'd be here for 3 years or so which would be perfect timing until Klopp, Simeone and De boer are all ready to move on probably, and then we can get one of them in. Nobody was able to come in after Sir Alex and be the next long term manager. It just couldn't happen. The only solution was to get in an experienced winner to settle the ship, rebuild and have us still competing at the top and then have the next younger guy take over for long term. It was pretty obvious that it's what needed to be done, crazy to think that the board fecked up so badly in appointing Moyes and making the same mistake as we made after Sir Matt.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Because Klopp wouldn't be available. Not all about the money. And this short term fix is exactly what we need now and what we needed when Sir Alex retired. Van Gaal has experience with top teams and top players, wouldn't crumble under the pressure like Moyes or inexperienced managers, and would know what needs to be done to get us back to the top. He'd be here for 3 years or so which would be perfect timing until Klopp, Simeone and De boer are all ready to move on probably, and then we can get one of them in. Nobody was able to come in after Sir Alex and be the next long term manager. It just couldn't happen. The only solution was to get in an experienced winner to settle the ship, rebuild and have us still competing at the top and then have the next younger guy take over for long term. It was pretty obvious that it's what needed to be done, crazy to think that the board fecked up so badly in appointing Moyes and making the same mistake as we made after Sir Matt.
We could have got Mourinho... :(

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Alternatively we could wait till Bayern win their semi-final and try Ancelotti?
It's not as simple as that, though. At least with van Gaal he is actually attainable and has said he wants a job in the premier league.

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
Having Van Gaal here would make things 'interesting' for sure. Very confrontational manager and his teams do play some great stuff.

He wouldn't be a long term choice obviously but in Europe coaches tend to do 3-4 year stints at the maximum anyways, and that is if they are good and haven't been sacked in the first six months. Expecting to hire a European coach and expecting him to stay for a decade or so isn't going to happen. Even if we hired Guardiola. Perhaps we need to accept that finding another Ferguson/Busby is no longer possible with managerial reigns getting shorter and shorter. Those two were an exception to the rule anyways, even by British standards.

If we do go the foreign route for our next manager, I'm not sure Van Gaal would be the one I'd pick, but he's definitely the kind of manager we should look to.

But as I've said in the other thread, I think Moyes is here for another season and we are probably better off accepting it and hoping for the best.

Rory 7

The theory in Holland is that Van Gaal wants to bring De Boer with him to whatever premier league club he ends up at.

A Van Gaal/De Boer team would be very exciting for United.

Cal?

CR7 fan
It's not as simple as that, though. At least with van Gaal he is actually attainable and has said he wants a job in the premier league.
There's every indication that he'll be sacked should he fail to win La Decima.

Rykker_4united

Supports
Keep Rodgers at Pool.
No, glad its denied. I don't want this man at the club. He's an asshat, hugely authoritarian and treats players poorly. He's nothing like Fergie, even if that was a prerequisite for the job.

bosnian_red

We could have got Mourinho... :(
Remember, he's too arrogant and too much of a prick or whatever according to Sir Bobby. It's like he tried to make it seem like SAF was a nice guy or something, and Mourinho was just the biggest ass. :lol:

RustyS

Does anyone think it's weird that we denied meeting with him but didn't follow that with some sort of sentence on Moyes being the manager for the foreseeable future or something like that? Am I just clutching at straws here?

Cal?

CR7 fan
Remember, he's too arrogant and too much of a prick or whatever according to Sir Bobby. It's like he tried to make it seem like SAF was a nice guy or something, and Mourinho was just the biggest ass. :lol:
Like I said before, Mourinho is too much of a prick because he once poked someone in the eye, yet our very own legend-coach had been poking his brother's wife for years.

Status
Not open for further replies.