United linked with van Gaal in the meeja

Status
Not open for further replies.

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum
Have I missed something? The only thing I've read is the club have held positive talks with Van Gaal and now want to interview other candidates, like Diego Simeone. Given how the last appointment turned out, an interview process seems like a good idea to me.
Couple quotes from a Dutch paper saying the deal is being held up as LvG wants to bring in 5 of his own staff, United want the 92 side to be involved, if you scroll back a couple pages you can find it.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Have I missed something? The only thing I've read is the club have held positive talks with Van Gaal and now want to interview other candidates, like Diego Simeone. Given how the last appointment turned out, an interview process seems like a good idea to me.
Don't think you have really missed anything, just us worrying about give Giggs the job bandwagon gathering pace everywhere but here.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
Why would Simeone want to come here at this point in time given what he is on the cusp of in Spain ?

LR7

Wholesale changes from when, a week ago?
No, because the physios and fitness coaches are the same ones we had under Fergie. Of course he will want some of his own men though which I'm not disputing. There is an infrastructure in place beneath that though, which SAF left and I don't think it needs disrupting too much. It's the same story at most big clubs tbh. Bayern, Barcelona, Madrid etc.
I think the exact opposite, Butt, Giggs, Scholes and Neville have little to no experience (in coaching), sentimental stuff aside they aren't qualified for the job. You could probably keep 1-2 on and let them learn from somebody like LVG but 4 of them is asking for trouble imo. If he's got international quality coaches he wants to bring and we are haggling over keeping Nicky Butt on then I worry tbh.
Butt was coaching the U21s/U19s this season anyway so I don't see the issue there. I don't think they should all necessarily be in the most prominent positions, just involved in some capacity.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Our fitness hasn't been great and our injury record for the last 3 years has been terrible. No harm bringing in some coaches who could take care of this.

DomesticTadpole

No, because the physios and fitness coaches are the same ones we had under Fergie. Of course he will want some of his own men though which I'm not disputing. There is an infrastructure in place beneath that though, which SAF left and I don't think it needs disrupting too much. It's the same story at most big clubs tbh. Bayern, Barcelona, Madrid etc.

Butt was coaching the U21s/U19s this season anyway so I don't see the issue there. I don't think they should all necessarily be in the most prominent positions, just involved in some capacity.
I can't see, as you say with Butt of Scholes, they could just go back to the kids coaching. The only ones I think would be worrying would be Phil and Chris Woods.

Will Absolute

You think the buzz from one game would stop us appointing a manager? There may be debate on van gaal's back room staff, but it certainly won't be a deal breaker.

Club are quite right to want involvement from "their own". God, think of the criticism Moyes got for discarding the previous coaching set up. The club want to ensure they have presence in the new set up. There is nothing wrong with that. We should be preparing giggs for the next position and I fully expect it will happen.
If we've got some idea of preparing Giggs for the next position, and I don't see why we should, the way to do it is send him out into the world, where he can prove he's worthy of managing Manchester United.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
:lol: I can imagine it now:

Bobby Charlton and Alex Ferguson are seated at the back of the room observing the interview. Joel and Avram Glazer flank Ed Woodward, taking a passive role while Ed Woodward tries to determine whether Louis van Gaal is the right candidate for the job. After an hour of exhaustive questioning the interview nears the end.

(Woody) "David Moyes lost the dressing room, this is a concern of ours."

(Louis) "I won't lose dressing room"
"Why is that, are you a strong leader"

"Yes. I am Louis van Gaal."

"Could you illustrate this with an example of your strong leadership ability"

"I have balls, I will keep dressing room, don't worry. I am Louis van Gaal."

"An example that shows your errr...courage that will help you keep the dressing room will be helpful."

"You don't think I have the balls??"

"No, not at all Mr. van Gaal, we were just looking for an example so we can better understand what you would do to not lose the dressing room. This was a big problem for Mr. Moyes you see."

Louis van Gaal stands up, unzips his pants, grabs his balls lifting them up slightly so Ed Woodward can see and states:

"I have the balls, they respect my authority. I drop any player that cause problems. Rivaldo won best player in world and I put him on bench, Wayne Rooney is no problem, don't worry."

He puts them back in his trousers, zips his pants and returns to a seated position.

At this point Sir Bobby Charlton stands up:

"He is no Manchester United manager. A Manchester United manager would not behave like that, he is not a gentleman. We must employ somebody with integrity, we must employ Ryan Giggs.

"Ryan is no gentleman."

"He behaves like a Manchester United manager should"

"His behaviour is not good for team morale."

(Ferguson) "Sit down Bobby, sit down. Let's keep things civil, I'll pour you a glass of wine"

"Well yes, I think this concludes the interview. We will be in touch with you shortly Mr. van Gaal".

"Thank you. Louis van Gaal says to you all goodbye."

Louis van Gaal gets up, walks towards the door, winks at Sir Bobby before leaving the room. Alex Ferguson proceeds to put his arm around Bobby.

(Joel Glazer) "His methods are certainly unorthodox but I think he is the best man for the job."

"He is not Manchester United material".

Alex Ferguson interrupts:

"I don't like some of these things he talks about. Ball circulation, keeping possession, total football. And he is lacking in the key characteristic, he doesn't have the scottish character."

Alex Ferguson, always pursuing power and control, tells the Glazers and Woodward:

"I think we must keep searching."

The Glazers and Woodward knowing Alex Ferguson has documents that would expose fraudulent activity are powerless so yield to his demands. Shortly after the interview the sky sources learn the board are considering new candidates.

Don't give up the day job

Mani

If LVG wants his own men with him,then it's wise thing to allow him to bring who ever he wants.As per coaching is concerned class 92 is just a bud it need time to grow.I would say Giggs need more time with reserve team or if gets any chance to coach other PL teams its better for his experience.In fact he can join us in future.

Sir A1ex

Don't make him out to some sort of saint, he an arsehole, just remember that. A legend as a footballer, but as a person, an arsehole.
Is this purely based on the thing with Rhodri's wife, or are there other incidents I'm forgetting?

While that whole thing does seem very cnutish, we can't pretend to know all the facts in terms of the details (eg "forcing" her to have an abortion etc). In terms of all the other arse-hole things that some footballers do (generally involving one combination of fighting, rape, drink driving, racism or another) he always seems to have behaved very well.

I've had mates who are good looking, and just seem to need to look at a woman for her to want it, and aren't able to keep it in their trousers. They end up royally screwing up girls with behaviour that it's easy for most of us to regard as disgraceful (because it is, frankly), but in all other areas of their lives they are perfectly nice, considerate, well-mannered lads.

I'm not condoning Giggs' relationships, but I do think that you need to separate what people do in the bedroom (rape / abuse excepted, obviously) from the person they are in the rest of their lives.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself

Bobby Charlton and Alex Ferguson are seated at the back of the room observing the interview. Joel and Avram Glazer flank Ed Woodward, taking a passive role while Ed Woodward tries to determine whether Louis van Gaal is the right candidate for the job. After an hour of exhaustive questioning the interview nears the end.

"An example that shows your errr...courage that will help you keep the dressing room will be helpful."

"No, not at all Mr. van Gaal, we were just looking for an example so we can better understand what you would do to not lose the dressing room. This was a big problem for Mr. Moyes you see."

Louis van Gaal stands up, unzips his pants, grabs his balls lifting them up slightly so Ed Woodward can see and states:

"I have the balls, they respect my authority. I drop any player that cause problems. Rivaldo won best player in world and I put him on bench, Wayne Rooney is no problem, don't worry."

He puts them back in his trousers, zips his pants and returns to a seated position.

"He is no Manchester United manager. A Manchester United manager would not behave like that, he is not a gentleman. We must employ somebody with integrity, we must employ Ryan Giggs.

"Ryan is no gentleman."

(Ferguson) "Sit down Bobby, sit down. Let's keep things civil, I'll pour you a glass of wine"

"Well yes, I think this concludes the interview. We will be in touch with you shortly Mr. van Gaal".

Louis van Gaal gets up, walks towards the door, winks at Sir Bobby before leaving the room. Alex Ferguson proceeds to put his arm around Bobby.

(Joel Glazer) "His methods are certainly unorthodox but I think he is the best man for the job."

"I don't like some of these things he talks about. Ball circulation, keeping possession, total football. And he is lacking in the key characteristic, he doesn't have the scottish character."

Alex Ferguson, always pursuing power and control, tells the Glazers and Woodward:

The Glazers and Woodward knowing Alex Ferguson has documents that would expose fraudulent activity are powerless so yield to his demands. Shortly after the interview the sky sources learn the board are considering new candidates.
You don't have any future as a comedian or a writer.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
The timing of this is a bit too convenient for me. This comes just hours after SSN announces that we're also looking for other candidates for managerial role. Some creative briefing by both of the sides.

Also maybe the United board are reluctant to allow staff of Van Gaal because they saw what a coaching upheaval did to us in this season and don't want to commit the same mistake.

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke

"Ryan is no gentleman."

If I had the privileges I'd ban you for this post.

Truedevil

"Ryan is no gentleman."

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
This. Everybody is making out that Giggs is some sort of trouble-maker, waiting for any chance to undermine the manager. He actually stayed very loyal to Moyes until things became utterly untenable. There's no evidence that he was causing any kind of disruption - I'm sure he'd be delighted to work under and learn from somebody like LVG.
I am one of those not happy with how our players have conducted themselves but primarily for the post-XMAS dive and doing nothing on the pitch. Giggs was hardly playing at that stage, and I certainly don't see him as someone who would consciously systematically undermine a new manager, let alone someone with Van Gall's pedigree.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
Why would Simeone want to come here at this point in time given what he is on the cusp of in Spain ?
Bigger club, bigger league, more money, new challenge, likes the project, I have no idea. What I do know is the options won't just be Ryan Giggs or Louis Van Gaal, out there somewhere is someone who wants to manage Manchester United, because despite the prevailing opinion on this forum, we are actually quite a big club, still, and the idea of being given carte blanche to completely revamp an underachieving squad of title winners in whatever image they wish will appeal to someone, somewhere. I'm quite the glass half full guy though, I still thought Moyes could have turned it around next season, so maybe this job isn't quite the amazing opportunity I think it is.

RustyS

"Ryan is no gentleman."

I have no idea what I just read and why anyone would write it.

LR7

I can't see, as you say with Butt of Scholes, they could just go back to the kids coaching. The only ones I think would be worrying would be Phil and Chris Woods.
I agree with that. I wouldn't really have issues with letting Chris Woods go because playing the ball out from the back seems to be a key part of van Gaal's philosophy and his own GK coach would probably be able to implement his wishes in that regard better than an unfamiliar one. Neville I would understand too because he was very much Moyes' bridge given his links to us and his familiarity with Moyes. I just don't see the need in him having to bring fitness coaches and physios too because that structure is all in place here already. And keeping Giggs in a first team role should be important and as you say Butt and Scholes could continue with the youth teams.

Blackwidow

The question is - how much eager are some people to learn? Or do they tell at everything - we have done this different before?

The U23-coach who was assistant with van Gaal - Hermann Gerland - told that he has learned so much in the time with van Gaal. But Hermann Gerland is the type who would send the guys around the block to run another round if they e.g. would complain that van Gaal would have burdened them too much.

I just think it would be totally wrong to keep a Giggs. What van Gaal needs is somebody that usually worked for the U-Teams and knows the club and the young ones and the training methods from before - maybe has deep knowledge of the League, too - not someone that took only care of the professionals.

Giggs has only seen Ferguson's coaching and exercises in all of his career. Maybe Ferguson's methods are the right ones - but you do not know that when you have not experienced something different. Like some said here - if he wants to be a very good coach he should go out, learn and watch. He just cannot have a not-tinted-glass about his fellow players right now.

A Guardiola has experienced different coaches throughout his career as player - left Barcelona in 2001 - and had atleast one year between being a player and a coach.

------------

At Bayern for van Gaal and now Guardiola Hermann Gerland is the right guy to do so. He does not mix into things but the players love him. He was a player ages ago and knows the league and Bayern history really well. And he was longterm coach in the U-teams.

Last edited:

poisson

broken record, best ignored.

"Ryan is no gentleman."

What the feck was this?
Please tell me you were high on something when you wrote this?

SirFergie

Nobody want rid of them, however we don't want it to be a choice between a world class manager with experienced coaching staff or the old boys club. What worried me slightly was the just go out and enjoy yourself. Yes it was nice to watch, but it was Norwich. Do they have the experience to change their tactics to suit different games. They cannot have that attitude every game, otherwise we will be in trouble against teams with savy managers. Someone on MUTV has said give them a years contract as see how they get on. Bloody hell
Oh come on. You really think it was as simplistic as that? He changed tactics throughout the game, and it worked. People are undervaluing what they bring, regardless of how much experience they've got, they're all fully qualified coaches. Ryan qualified while still being a player which is an achievement due to the dedication and work put in.

They have clearly got us doing what we should have done under Moyes who is a more "experienced" manager, and that is working with the ball. Our close control, sharpness and fitness were all noticeably better while still not being at previous levels and that was within 4 days. Now don't mistake me being an advocate of giving Ryan the job full time although I wouldn't complain that much if he were to be, but IMO the board or rather Woodward and the Glazers have already made a decision on who it will be.

They have more to offer us and they should stick around the Club because they're all talented I believe they know what they're doing. They're not as naive as many think they are.

DomesticTadpole

The timing of this is a bit too convenient for me. This comes just hours after SSN announces that we're also looking for other candidates for managerial role. Some creative briefing by both of the sides.

Also maybe the United board are reluctant to allow staff of Van Gaal because they saw what a coaching upheaval did to us in this season and don't want to commit the same mistake.
There again the coaching staff we have has only been there a week, so not that big a disruption. I think he will find coaching jobs for them further down the ladder, that is all they are entitled to at the minute. That is how a lot learn their trade.

DomesticTadpole

Oh come on. You really think it was as simplistic as that? He changed tactics throughout the game, and it worked. People are undervaluing what they bring, regardless of how much experience they've got, they're all fully qualified coaches. Ryan qualified while still being a player which is an achievement due to the dedication and work put in.

They have clearly got us doing what we should have done under Moyes who is a more "experienced" manager, and that is working with the ball. Our close control, sharpness and fitness were all noticeably better while still not being at previous levels and that was within 4 days. Now don't mistake me being an advocate of giving Ryan the job full time although I wouldn't complain that much if he were to be, but IMO the board or rather Woodward and the Glazers have already made a decision on who it will be.

They have more to offer us and they should stick around the Club because they're all talented I believe they know what they're doing. They're not as naive as many think they are.
The problem is we are are looking through red tinted glasses. Yes it was better, but the fact Moyes and Co had gone would have lifted the team. You could have coached this team better than them. It is whether we want to risk them coaching and managing games that the result actually matter and if they have the knowledge to spent millions of pounds on players.

LR7

Agree completely.

LR7

The problem is we are are looking through red tinted glasses. Yes it was better, but the fact Moyes and Co had gone would have lifted the team. You could have coached this team better than them. It is whether we want to risk them coaching and managing games that the result actually matter and if they have the knowledge to spent millions of pounds on players.
Bolded bit is a bit OTT.
Also SirFergie doesn't seem to be suggesting Giggs and co should be taking charge or spending millions. Just kept on in some capacity.

DomesticTadpole

Bolded bit is a bit OTT.
Also SirFergie doesn't seem to be suggesting Giggs and co should be taking charge or spending millions. Just kept on in some capacity.
Fair enough, I don't have a problem with them being kept around. This ship needs steadying not more risks taken.

SirFergie

Fair enough, I don't have a problem with them being kept around. This ship needs steadying not more risks taken.
I agree completely and I see them as a major part of that steadying job. Certainly, they have more of an idea of where this club should go and what level it should be at more than Moyes and co. LvG would be the icing on the cake.

Kaos

If we're stalling because he doesn't want to incorporate the class of 92 then its all a bit silly.

The club needs to cut this incestuous shit out and start to actually appoint people based on merit as opposed to nepotistic sentimentality. If van Gaal doesn't want anyone from the class of 92 in his coaching staff then fine, give him the reigns to do as he pleases and to properly develop the squad as he sees fit. We practically gave an inept Moyes the freedom of Manchester, don't see why we can't offer van Gaal a bit of autonomy.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
If we're stalling because he doesn't want to incorporate the class of 92 then its all a bit silly.

The club needs to cut this incestuous shit out and start to actually appoint people based on merit as opposed to nepotistic sentimentality. If van Gaal doesn't want anyone from the class of 92 in his coaching staff then fine, give him the reigns to do as he pleases and to properly develop the squad as he sees fit. We practically gave an inept Moyes the freedom of Manchester, don't see why we can't offer van Gaal a bit of autonomy.
In the cold light of day, that is actually what has started to happen. Its actually absurd.

Dominos

:lol:

Skills

Snitch
Moyes fecked up in making Giggs a first team coach. He obviously didn't anticipate getting sacked, but if Giggs is let go by the next regime there'll be a massive outrage and puts the new manager in a shit position from the start. If he's made a youth team coach - which is the most obvious first step into coaching, it'll be seen as a demotion so there'll outrage again. No win situation for the next management, apart from keeping on Giggs' good side.

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
So we let Moyes bring Everton coaches here and we're finding it a problem for van Gaal to get his team here? I really do hope this deal doesn't fall through and we end up with Giggs as our manager.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Moyes was allowed to bring the coaches he wanted and fire those who he didn't want. Same thing should be offered to VG.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything

:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.