United linked with van Gaal in the meeja

Status
Not open for further replies.

Erentz

Knows everything! 5 years later.
This is in the Dutch paper De Telegraaf this morning, Klopp would be my preferred choice, but van Gaal would do as well.

Man United approaches van Gaal
Manchester United investigates the possibility of bringing van Gaal as head coach after the World Cup. Joel Glazer, who along with his brother Avram Glazer is the head of the board at the English champions, had a meeting with the Dutch coach yesterday.

van Gaal already had a meeting with Tottenham Hotspur back in January, but did not say yes. This gives the 62-year-old the freedom to make a different decision in the Premier League, where he wants to pursue his career after the World Cup.

The Glazer family own Manchester United, the biggest football club in the world. Even though the club of Robin van Persie and Alexander Buttner is led by Ed Woodward, the Glazers have the final word.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
I can't for one second think a United official met with him whilst we still have a manager in charge.
It would be massively unprofessional and surely not risked due to press getting a photo. It's absolute crap, but will give many on here a false dawn.
Sooner he signs for Spurs the better.

This.

Andrew~

Whether true or not, rumours like this circling suggest Moyes might actually be on his way out. Encouraging news.

mic.m

likes to be nude when popping out baked brownies
I'm not going to fall for this. I've always had a feeling that this summer's muppetry will be over a new manager rather than a new midfielder. The Chosen One banner will be with us for at least another year.

Bojan11

Wouldn't surprise me if Glazers themselves approach other managers.

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
Please fire Moyes. Would be delighted with van gaal whereas before Moyes I'd not even have considered him.

Stookie

Nurse bell end
How much would it cost to sack Moyes? I can't see it happening. Don't forget they have Fergie bending their ear as well. Not going to happen.

Kaos

Van Gaal is probably the best realistic target we can go for. A few seasons with him then perhaps luring Klopp here, perfect.

Anything to severe Moyes ffs.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
Do you honestly believe that?
I'm not saying I wouldn't want Van Gaal in charge, but I just don't see it. Especially the bit of how it's a bit unprofessional and harsh on Moyes. He may not have led to us to a great season but he still deserves respect.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
The Glazers aren't daft. Their would've been clauses put in his contract like they were put in Mancini's contract. I said in the Bayern Munich match thread that if we lose to Bayern then Moyes is gone, and I do think that's happening.

The fact that a dutch newspaper actually have it on the front page makes me think they have must a solid lead on this news report.

Anderson18

The Glazers aren't daft. Their would've been clauses put in his contract like they were put in Mancini's contract. I said in the Bayern Munich match thread that if we lose to Bayern then Moyes is gone, and I do think that's happening.

The fact that a dutch newspaper actually have it on the front page makes me think they have must a solid lead on this news report.
Depends on reliable that newspaper is. Remember Sanchezter United?

Melvyn

prostate examiner

Need some Dutch posters to verify if the paper is the equivalent of the Sun or not.

Kakeru

How much would it cost to sack Moyes? I can't see it happening. Don't forget they have Fergie bending their ear as well. Not going to happen.
I dunno, but anything about Moyes and his contract should be kept in his own thread(s) for the sake of discussing it deeper. ;)

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
:lol: @ the desperation in here. I would be absolutely SHOCKED if we acted this way with Moyes still in the job. There would have to have been a monumental turn around in who controls the footballing side of the club if the Glazers are doing this.The only credence I would lend to such a thing happening is the Glazer history when it comes to Tampa Bay coaches but thats an entirely different game.

Last edited:

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
:lol: @ the desperation in here. I would be absolutely SHOCKED if we acted this way with Moyes still in the job. There would have to be have been a monumental turn around in who controls the footballing side of the club if the Glazers are doing this.The only credence I would lend to such a thing happening is the Glazer history when it comes to Tampa Bay coaches but thats an entirely different game.
Yep, agree with this. Would be incredible if we suddenly made such a massive u turn, after giving it all the long term stuff, the "we'll be fine" stuff etc.
And would also make you wonder what the final straw was. It would be mentalism to consider going out to Bayern as the final straw after all.

And if they'd decided early, why sit through months of poor results? 2014 has already seen us lose a sh!tload of games, and 3-0 to Pool and City at home.

But then will they give Moyes SH!tLOAD of cash to fix what previously we didn't think needed fixing anyway?!

It's a headscratcher.

kps88

I don't see anything wrong with just talking to him. It's not everyday you have a manager of his stature available as a free agent. Better to be prepared if we do decide to sack Moyes in the summer.

MDFC Manager

Look at his CV..theres a lot of conflict and half done jobs there and not that many honours.
Most people who want this guy, also only want him for a short period of time, to steady the ship for the manager after him. Which is a bit strange because van Gaal is apparently known to be averse to dipping into the transfer market. If we get him, don't be surprised if asks for no purchases.

mic.m

likes to be nude when popping out baked brownies
The only downside to appointing Van Gaal is pissing all those nationalists who believe in giving British managers top jobs.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
Plus, we'd have to wait until after the World Cup for him to start. Transfer rush afterwards? Target already snapped up by others?

Kag

Are people in here for real? You don't sack a manager without sounding out a replacement. The club have made some errors, but give them a little credit.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
Are people in here for real? You don't sack a manager without sounding out a replacement. The club have made some errors, but give them a little credit.
Of course, but for a club of our stature I wouldn't believe that we'd have been this careless in attempting to try and hide it. I know nothing about the Dutch media, but I just can't see it.

This would shock me more than a lot of things if this happens.

itso 7

:lol: @ the desperation in here. I would be absolutely SHOCKED if we acted this way with Moyes still in the job. There would have to have been a monumental turn around in who controls the footballing side of the club if the Glazers are doing this.The only credence I would lend to such a thing happening is the Glazer history when it comes to Tampa Bay coaches but thats an entirely different game.
Is the football side is a distinct organization from the company they own ? Who controls it now by the way since the one who could be trusted to do so is retired and on his way to a teaching job at Havard ? Being Fergie's crony shouldn't shield Moyes from an objective assessment of his performance and if that appraisal has been done then there is only one sensible outcome and this possibility justifies the Glazers' actions, if true . If they know they are going to sack him then they are within their rights to do this.

In any other football club Fergie and Charlton would be lucky to emerge unscathed from their disastrous reccommendation .

Kag

Of course, but for a club of our stature I wouldn't believe that we'd have been this careless in attempting to try and hide it. I know nothing about the Dutch media, but I just can't see it.

This would shock me more than a lot of things if this happens.
Perhaps, but personally I don't really care how noble or professional the club looks as long as it means we're doing what is right for the good of the club. Anyway, it's quite hard these days to keep these things under wraps.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Most people who want this guy, also only want him for a short period of time, to steady the ship for the manager after him. Which is a bit strange because van Gaal is apparently known to be averse to dipping into the transfer market. If we get him, don't be surprised if asks for no purchases.
This is true, but under his formation and management, he will get the best out of a lot of players. Welbeck, Cleverley, Kagawa etc... I think he'd buy if necessary to further his own philosophy, and I think he'll need a couple to do so. As many have said though = good manager with no transfers > a poor one with a shed load.

Also, I wonder what happens with the Rooney/van Persie scenario if this does occur. van Persie is van Gaal's golden boy, in the same way Rooney was Moyes'. 433, with Rooney out left?

Woodzy

If there clauses in his contract and Moyes' job hangs in the balance based on that Top 4 spot, then he's as good as gone. If Van Gaal is our preferred replacement, then with Spurs sniffing round then making the first steps now makes a world of sense.

I get my hope from Moyes not sounding as defensive, as he has been, over his job in the post match interview against Bayern.

Lance Uppercut

They like a character a la Mourinho.

Anybody influenced by football journalists needs to revise their perspective.
They don't generally care for foreign managers. Especially foreign managers who have taken the job of a Brit.

Ever heard of a British manager being called "borderline Aspergers" by a journalist?

Status
Not open for further replies.