United linked with van Gaal in the meeja

Status
Not open for further replies.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
This shouldn't hold up the deal. Let the man bring in who he wants.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
Just have Scholes and Butt run the U21s, then again that's harsh on Warren Joyce.

I want the class of '92 to take over one day and whatever happens, I do think it'll happen. But in the short term, just let Van Gaal bring whoever he wants in. He says he likes to keep at least one guy from the original set up and that guy will obviously be Giggs anyway.

I'm sure Van Gaal wouldn't mind having Scholes there too, but if United are trying to clump those two AND Neville and Butt into one set up with Van Gaal, then that's being a bit optimistic.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
The club will have an interesting choice to make if both Van Gaal and Ancelotti are available. Two very different roads to go down, with two managers whose personalities really couldn't be more different.

Ancelotti is cool, calm, humble and likable. A brilliant man manager and a pragmatist when it comes to the way he sets up his team, he will get the players onside and playing for him. Likes attacking football but will go defensive when he needs to. In many ways Annahamoss was right to call him a poor man's SAF, although that isn't that much of a slight as SAF is arguably the greatest manager of all time. In fact that kind of a comparison is a compliment really. If we opt for Ancelotti we'll be pretty much guaranteed a few years of stress free success. The players will love him, everyone will get on with him, we'll be pleased.

Van Gaal is an arrogant, abrasive, authoritarian despot of a manager. Much more of an idealist and visionary type than Ancelotti, he'll promote youth and try to get us playing excellent football. If it goes well we'll be delighted, no question about that. However, Van Gaal also brings a much greater potential for disaster. He's presided over seasons far more disastrous than any on Ancelotti's watch and has fallen out with people in a way that Ancelotti never would. Van Gaal would be a far, far riskier appointment but has the potential for a greater upside that may be exactly what we need atm. We're guaranteed nothing with VG but he may be worth the risk if we're looking to really rebuild.

There are arguments for and against both. Personally I'd go for Ancelotti as a) I rate him as a better manager b) I want a safe appointment and c) I think VG is past his best. However, part of me also thinks that the time to go for Ancelotti was last summer when we were replacing SAF, whereas Van Gaal is the right man for our current circumstances.

After the year we've had though I think either would be very easy to support.

Bojan11

I take the opposite view, if he can't compromise on this then he can feck off and we'll put Giggs in charge.

We've just had one manager who insisted on changing all the staff we could do without having to start again. From the players comments this week they seem genuinely happy to have the class of 92 running things.

So my first preference id LVG with Giggs as number 2 .... or Giggs to take over.
Eh?

Giggs has been a coach only this season. Just like Neville.

Scholes was nowhere last week. Butt was in the reserves. Why should Van Gaal have to put up with them when they not qualified?

It's not like Moyes replacing a title winning coaching staff. This lot are inexperienced.

RedBistro

Agree with this. Phil will probably leave at the end of the season anyway along with Woods. We should keep Scholes for the U18s/U21s and return Butt to assisting Warren Joyce and Giggs as one of the assistants to LvG.
That would sit pretty with me.

El-Manos

For players like De Gea, i'm not sure a different coach again would be beneficial? Chris woods seems to be doing a good job, I'd say keep him!

RedBistro

5 of his own staff members? That's a lot, but I don't see this being a problem. Surely there is a role for Giggs in all this?
Moyes: Lumsden, Round, Neville, Giggs, Woods. Was there any others?

Anyway, 5 sounds like the right number to me.

Skills

Snitch
For players like De Gea, i'm not sure a different coach again would be beneficial? Chris woods seems to be doing a good job, I'd say keep him!
From what I know, the keeper's extremely important in Van Gaals set up to help build from the back. So he'd want a coach, who he trusts would get De Gea more accustomed to passing out the ball like Van Gaal wants.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
A manager has to be able to name his own staff. If he wants to keep on any of our current lad then fine but for us to insist on it would be stupid, it would only end up causing problems.

Plugsy

Insisting that a coaching staff that had been there and been successful for years is not completely disrupted is a reasonable position. Insisting that a coaching staff that haven't been employed in their current roles for more than week are not completely disrupted is insane. I hope someone's got the wrong end of the stick here.

Crono

For those who can't see tweets:

De Telegraaf chief Sports reporter Jaap de Groot claims Van Gaal's wishlist of who he wants to bring to Manchester United is holding up deal
Van Gaal apparently wants to bring in 5 of his own staff members, United bosses reluctant, could see the deal fall through.
What the fu*k are they playing at? :confused: :mad:

Plugsy

I'd love to know who else he brought. I know of the 3 plus Murtough (who knows what he does btw?) and Robbie Cooke the scout, who else?
God knows, I read it in the Telgraph over the last few days; I'd imagine it possibly includes scouts, fitness coaches, reserve coach/minor coaching roles etc. Kit man?

Castia

Giggs aside the class of 92 shouldn't be involved and have no given right to be tbh. The manager should have staff around him that he knows and trusts, having the likes of Butt and Neville (2 people who haven't been at United in years before their return mind) who clearly aren't 'world class' coaches isn't doing anyone much good. Keep Giggs on and let him hire who he wants, im fairly confident that the staff he wants to bring will be an upgrade on those mentioned.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
I know I might get all kind of responses like "not a real fan" blah blah for this, but I don't care. If the hype around the class of 92 is threatening our deal with LvG, then I hope we don't win our next game!

Crono

Giggs aside the class of 92 shouldn't be involved and have no given right to be tbh. The manager should have staff around him that he knows and trusts, having the likes of Butt and Neville (2 people who haven't been at United in years before their return mind) who clearly aren't 'world class' coaches isn't doing anyone much good.
What right does Giggs have to be involved either? FFS. He's the fu*king caretaker manager because the other bloke needed to be thrown out. That's all he fecking is. This situation is becoming utterly absurd.

Skills

Snitch
I know this'll probably cause a bit of outrage, but if I was the new manager I'd want Giggs nowhere near my coaching set up. Seems like he's already got a lot of power, and if things don't start of well and Giggs/players aren't happy about it seems like he can cause quite a bit of a problem for the manager. Especially as he's pals with half the squad.

Sweet Square

Just have Scholes and Butt run the U21s, then again that's harsh on Warren Joyce.
Big worry was when I heard Moyes was trying to transform the whole youth system(I was a supporter of Moyes but some of the news that came out showed Moyes was on some sort of hoofball crusade)that he might get rid of Joyce who I think has done a great job over the years and the youth teams seem to be getting better every year. So any coach coming I would hope keep Joyce.

The club it seems has a solid structure so I think there needs to be this mass building or a massive change in style through out the whole of the club that people have been going on about.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
FFS.. Why are we squabbling over the details ? Let him bring whoever he wants. His style of training is probably really different to ours. To implement that he has to bring in coaches that are used to the system.

It'll probably be Kluivert as assistant but it doesn't matter Louis likes 2 assistants. So Giggs can be part of the duo.
Then the video analyst dude. I don't think we have any of those. Again no problem.
Goalkeeping coach next. Chuck Wood outta the window. He's a Moyes appointment. Who should Louis care about him.
Then shoehorn the 2 others guys left.
Make Scholes some kind of first team coach, Butt can keep the U-team job and Phil can arrange cones.
Simples. What's the big problem.

It's not fair to ask a guy to come at United and not bring his own staff. He knows Giggs has a wave of euphoria behind him to be appointed as the manager. Secretly Van Gaal will know one balls up and his replacement is sitting right there in the stands. Makes perfect sense for him to bring is own guys than he can trust.

What if he says F that I'm off to Spurs. :(

Crono

I know this'll probably cause a bit of outrage, but if I was the new manager I'd want Giggs nowhere near my coaching set up. Seems like he's already got a lot of power, and if things don't start of well and Giggs/players aren't happy about it seems like he can cause quite a bit of a problem for the manager. Especially as he's pals with half the squad.
I agree. I'd actually prefer if he didn't keep Giggs on for that reason, but given what he's said about coming into a new club and wanting some old blood around, fine. But this idea that Giggs is entitled to anything is ridiculous.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Just watching MUTV and loads of idiots wanting Class of 92 be kept on with Phelan and Rene coming back. Absolutely no successful management experience amongst the lot of them. If this happens and fails are we allowed to give them the stick Moyes got?

Castia

What right does Giggs have to be involved either? FFS. He's the fu*king caretaker manager because the other bloke needed to be thrown out. That's all he fecking is. This situation is becoming utterly absurd.
True but its clearly obvious he's being lined up for the job in a few years, they aren't going to let him go.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
I've written one for Ferguson:

Failed to qualify from a CL group that had teams from Portugal, Switzerland and Romania in it, then lost to Spain's 10th best team while being much inferior. Was the only manager of a Premier League side to have been eliminated TWICE at the group stages of the Champions League in the last decade. Wenger never went out in the first group stage.
Failed to win the FA Cup in his last 9 attempts having been eliminated by a lower league side in one of them. In the meantime manager like Redknapp won it.
Was eliminated by teams like Coventry and Southend from the League Cup in the past decade.
Only won the Treble ONCE in the last 25 attempts.

Such a loser! Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha worst manager ever hahahahahahahahha LOL OMG
Good argument. Of course in my MOCK CV I didn't actually focus on single games, and included Van Gaal's achievements over the past 15 years, which are two league titles and one cup. In that time Ferguson has won 8 league titles, one champions league, one fa cup and three league cups whilst Van Gaal has failed in four of the six jobs he's had. Like I said though, it was a jolly good argument, the excessive use of ha was particularly impressive.

SirFergie

I fail to understand why people just want rid of them. They have a lot to offer in terms of experience and quality. They know what this club is about and what it stands for. Getting rid of Giggs and Butt when they were already here seems absurd to me. Scholes should be kept on, and Phil will probably leave at the end of the season due to there not being a role suitable for him.

Empire

The kind of temperament this guy has I could imagine him coming out with some quote saying "The best coach in the world does not need to wait for offers and Manchester United have missed their opportunity, I will be moving to a club that values the worlds best I will now go to portugal and live fantastic. Do not bother me, Goodbye!"
This. But I fixed it for you.

I mean, he has the choice of Tottenham or Manchester United, I wouldn't worry about him opting for the former.
He won't go to another club, he won't go to Spurs, he will retire to his villa and "live fantastic" if we mess him about.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
The exp and quality they bring with them are as players, but we are now talking about coaching where they don't have any exp at all!

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Agree, I'd want rid of him too.

RedBistro

To hopefully avoid the Ferguson succession failure of not promoting from within, hiring a useless oaf of a manager and seeing the club go through a terrible 10 months before a clause activates so we can sack him, rather than putting the guy out of his misery in February and still perhaps having a chance at the top 4 with a capable manager?

That's why I'd like him involved anyway, not saying it will work out that way, but if Van Gaal gives us 3-6 years, then Giggs will maybe be ready to take over from him after assisting and gaining experience rather than being thrown into the deep end, and we won't be giving the job to Tim Sherwood or Moyes Mk II.

That is obviously all hypothetical.

Crackers

greasy ginfers
The glazers are too ruthless to let it happen. They'll want proven consistency, and won't go all sentimental on it. They want to include the class of 92 to keep things smooth, but I imagine the 92 crew won't be that big an issue to the new manager.

Plugsy

To hopefully avoid the Ferguson succession failure of not promoting from within, hiring a useless oaf of a manager and seeing the club go through a terrible 10 months before a clause activates so we can sack him, rather than putting the guy out of his misery in February and still perhaps having a chance at the top 4 with a capable manager?

That's why I'd like him involved anyway, not saying it will work out that way, but if Van Gaal gives us 3-6 years, then Giggs will maybe be ready to take over from him after assisting and gaining experience rather than being thrown into the deep end, and we won't be giving the job to Tim Sherwood or Moyes Mk II.

That is obviously all hypothetical.
You're probably the only person in the world who has ever expressed the sentiment that the failure of Ferguson's succession was not hiring from within

Bojan11

I'm with you.

He could undermine the new guy because his dreams are to become manager.

Status
Not open for further replies.