United Lockdown Trainings | Lingard performed the best!

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Limited footballer, but at his best can be a useful asset for the club.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
His acceleration is poor, but top speed may be quite different.
Doesnt that just mean he has good endurance, or put in a lot of work. Not a high top speed?

its total distance at a speed of 5.5 meters or above.

laughtersassassin

Well done to him and all but performing well at these tests means nothing when his performances have been so bad for so long.

He really should be for sale based on performances. If he doesn't change then he isn't good enough to be a squad player here

laughtersassassin

I've seen Lingard's snaps, he's been training like a mad man. He and McTominay will probably come back as our best players.
Lingard come back as our best player? Man hasn't performed in forever. He is literally on the edge of the chopping block and rightly so.

Don't think him working hard is going to make him from one of our worst players to one of our best. Very wishful thinking.

Last edited:

laughtersassassin

He was never a top player
Exactly lingard at his best was good enough to be a bench player at a top club. Nothing more.

But he hasn't been his best for years. If fact he has been at his worst for longer than he was ever at his best. He hasn't been good enough to be a squad player at s team that's aspiring to be anything.

He is Jones level. Simply not good enough but we keep him anyway.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
He's had an awful couple of seasons. But before that he had some decent moments and I thought I played an important part at 2018 World Cup.

He was never going to be a superstar, but somewhere along the line he went from being a respectable squad player for Manchester United to looking out of place against League 1 teams.
I agree with this. I thought he had Ji-Sung Park type potential at one point. Where he could become a selfless squad player, who had decent quality, tactical discipline, tremendous work rate and spirit, and pop up with important goals. Able to play multiple positions. But he just became so full of himself. Every great squad needs it's Park's, Phil Neville's, Butt's, O'Shea's. Consistently solid players who perform to a decent level and don't agitate by being on the bench. Players willing to sacrifice for the team. I thought Lingard was going to be one of those types of players.

The good news is that I think Solksjaer has done a brilliant job of bringing in the right type of players. Character is so important. You look at people like Maguire and Bruno, these are leaders, and fighters. Wan-Bissaka and James appear to be consummate professionals, and I can see the latter becoming one of those solid, unselfish, squad players I talked about before. For players like Lingard, the club culture is obviously shifting, where they either conform to the new ethos or they ship out. I'd be happy for him to go either way. If he fully applies himself, and sacrifices for the team, he could still have a good career here, because he is not without quality. In fact, we have seen enough of him to determine that he is a very decent player indeed. But if his mentality is that he is a top player - when he has done nothing to justify that at all - then he needs to just move on.

Last edited:

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Hopefully with Lingards impressive training stats, this helps put him in the shop window for potential buyers in the summer.
Literally any club that has money won't spend it on him.
A loan deal is the best we'll do but even then the market will be strange for a while so we're stuck with the fecker I think

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Doesnt that just mean he has good endurance, or put in a lot of work. Not a high top speed?

its total distance at a speed of 5.5 meters or above.
You're probably right. I was more just pointing out that he's not slow per se, but that he takes a while to get going. Not that I would think this list of Jesse, McTom and Maguire would be anywhere close to the fastest players in the team. Probably somewhere between 10 and 20.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
Literally any club that has money won't spend it on him.
A loan deal is the best we'll do but even then the market will be strange for a while so we're stuck with the fecker I think
What do you mean? English clubs constantly spunk money on underwhelming players. E.g. Everton bought Bolasie for almost £30M even though his best premier League season at Palace was 5 goals and 4 assists.

Posh Red

I agree with this. I thought he had Ji-Sung Park type potential at one point. Where he could become a selfless squad player, who had decent quality, tactical discipline, tremendous work rate and spirit, and pop up with important goals. Able to play multiple positions. But he just became so full of himself. Every great squad needs it's Park's, Phil Neville's, Butt's, O'Shea's. Consistently solid players who perform to a decent level and don't agitate by being on the bench. Players willing to sacrifice for the team. I thought Lingard was going to be one of those types of players.

The good news is that I think Solksjaer has done a brilliant job of bringing in the right type of players. Character is so important. You look at people like Maguire and Bruno, these are leaders, and fighters. Wan-Bissaka and James appear to be consummate professionals, and I can see the latter becoming one of those solid, unselfish, squad players I talked about before. For players like Lingard, the club culture is obviously shifting, where they either conform to the new ethos or they ship out. I'd be happy for him to go either way. If he fully applies himself, and sacrifices for the team, he could still have a good career here, because he is not without quality. In fact, we have seen enough of him to determine that he is a very decent player indeed. But if his mentality is that he is a top player - when he has done nothing to justify that at all - then he needs to just move on.
Very balanced and fair post about Lingard.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
His effort levels were never bad, he's just not a very good player.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
What do you mean? English clubs constantly spunk money on underwhelming players. E.g. Everton bought Bolasie for almost £30M even though his best premier League season at Palace was 5 goals and 4 assists.
Yeah that was the old days mate.
Im going to be very surprised if we see anything silly this year

James Peril

So Lingard is the best as exercising, too bad he is no good at football. Get rid of him this summer, send him to Southampton or wherever his ability belongs - not even sure he would play a lot for them. He epitomises the decline of Manchester United in recent years.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
He’ll probably sign for Inter Milan. Because he’s a footballer.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I’m not arsed how good he is at bleep tests, I’m arsed about what he does on the pitch, and it’s been nowhere near good enough for about 2 and a half years now.

King Andow

Good to see him putting in the work, great attitude. Hopefully he'll get the feck out faster and carry Pereira on his back.

Paul_Scholes18

A confident Lingard can be a good player. Mourinho near the end broke him. I also remember him having family issues this season.
Hopefully he will comeback and show something from the bench.

RUCK4444

Good news. I hope Lingard can be a top player again.
When was this? I'm not a Lingard hater but he simply doesn't get in the starting 11 when everybody is fit.

The goal in the cup final was his pinnacle, he works well in a fully counter-attacking setup but for 95% of the time he is completely anonymous, sometimes it's like playing with 10 men. Has the lockdown made people forget this?

Hate to sound negative, usually I'm a positive poster regarding the squad.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
So in conclusion, let Lingard do his shit without anyone there to tackle him and he's world class?

redshaw

Let's see what he's like playing in front of 70k empty seats first.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
I dislike his choice of agent, childish antics and seriously ill timed and tacky clothing line almost as much as I dislike his crappy performances but If he was doing the business on the pitch then what could you say really? He’s brought so much extra pressure and scrutiny on himself by acting the tit. I really hope our other young players can learn from him and TC23 to keep their head down for a few good seasons before they go acting like they amongst the best. I also hope he can look around at Bruno who doesn’t have any of the baggage taking his games and making the team tick and let it give him a kick in the hole. If he copped on and got his head down he’d be a good squad player for us but that’s all he’ll be from now on. That’s his level at a club with serious aspirations.

iHicksy

Couldn't give a shit that he's near the top of some tests. So was Lukaku, he gets judged on his performances on the pitch. You know, when you actually need to be a top class footballer. He fails this test over and over. The one test that actually means anything and needs to be the first player shipped out of the club. He's not good enough as a rotation option because he's simply not good enough to be at United. He wouldn't get into Wolves, West Ham, Sheffield United's teams yet some want him kept. Keeping players like him are the reason our squad was mediocre for so long.

Walters_19_MuFc

Good to hear. Think the break would have done him the world of good.

With the addition of Bruno and Pogba coming back from his injury, he will now become the squad player he should have always been.

Having said that, a lot of people have grown really frustrated with Jesse, and I guess most would argue that he's not even good enough for our squad.

I do think with appearances here and there, i.e. cup games, coming on to see games out etc, he would prove to be a decent squad player.

Going forward however, if he can't find the sort of form he was in a couple years back, then we should probably looking to offload him.

Bondi77

So that is why Angel cannot get a game,
He can't keep up with Jesse.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
Every pre season camp, Lingard does well and is shit throughout the season. Its time to move him on now.

LDUred

I've never really understood the borderline hatred shown to Jesse on these pages. He's a young lad who has grown up in Manchester, come through the system, and achieved a dream that is so hard to realise. Yes, he does have his flaws, but he is one of our players.

Not that he is above criticism, as his form has been substandard for some time now. I just don't get the abuse that he has received while clearly trying his best for us. It's almost like people want him to fail rather than get back to where he was around 2017/2018.

His training videos have shown the side to his character that people warm to and its great to see his resolve and professionalism.

Based Adnan

Fear we'll be stuck with him due to the virus situation making no-one want to come in for him this summer

Don't give a feck about his running, he's beyond useless with the ball. Been out of form for far longer than he was ever in form.