United may have to pay 150 million Euros to Super League

Dve

Parts of the contract that Manchester United and the other clubs signed to join the Super League has been leaked and published by Der Spiegel tonight.

If a club withdraw from the league earlier that 3 years into the contract, they have to

1. Pay back half of the money earned from Super League the preceding season - which obviously would be zero in this case
2. An additional fine of 150 m Euros
3. A certain part of the money the club received to join the league in the first place

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/s...ED-revealing-clubs-pulling-face-130m-fee.html
https://www.spiegel.de/sport/super-...ertrag-a-baa19242-f1c3-4e39-b6a3-c1d2baedb5e2

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I don't believe that for a second. These people would not have done a 180 that soon if that is really the case. No chance.

Parts of the contract that Manchester United and the other clubs signed to join the Super League has been leaked and published by Der Spiegel tonight.

If a club withdraw from the league earlier that 3 years into the contract, they have to

1. Pay back half of the money earned from Super League the preceding season - which obviously would be zero in this case
3. A certain part of the money the club received to join the league in the first place

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/s...ED-revealing-clubs-pulling-face-130m-fee.html
https://www.spiegel.de/sport/super-...ertrag-a-baa19242-f1c3-4e39-b6a3-c1d2baedb5e2
complete bollocks. Surely you know that? So you think that €1.8bn is going somewhere from the 12 clubs that hve withdrawn?

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
If there is no penalty clause , I don't think JP Morgan would stick their neck in. Could be right but again, I don't think it's going to be 150m though.

Dve

I don't believe that for a second. These people would not have done a 180 that soon if that is really the case. No chance.
Note the wording of the clubs though, "they are in the process of withdrawing from the league" and Perez has been very clear that there is no way out. The papers are signed.

Barcelona have a clause though saying they can withdraw if their members vote against participation. And that could potentially be the way out, as there is apparently also a clause in the contract saying that the other clubs can withdraw if Barcelona ending up not signing. The questions is, have they?

Brophs

The One and Only
Nah, it won't be that straightforward. If that were the case then once one or two clubs dropped out - and they wouldn't, because £150m - then the others would have just sat tight on the winning lottery ticket they'd just been handed.

redNATION

These clubs have some of the best lawyers working for them, I’d be amazed if they didn’t think of an early exit clause of sorts or a cool down period allowing for an exit with only a minimal break fee. The whole agreement may even be conditional on some external approvals so maybe it wasn’t even effective yet even if signed.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Note the wording of the clubs though, "they are in the process of withdrawing from the league" and Perez has been very clear that there is no way out. The papers are signed.

Barcelona have a clause though saying they can withdraw if their members vote against participation. And that could potentially be the way out, as there is apparently also a clause in the contract saying that the other clubs can withdraw if Barcelona ending up not signing. The questions is, have they?
Yeah, I just think there is no way this is going to happen. Who stands to benefit? They've withdrawn from the process and to be eligible (without dispute) for CL and, potentially, their own Leagues, they can't be signed up to SL, even if it's a dormant company in some tax haven post box.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
The reality is that it’s not in anyone’s interest to collect that fee because it would kill any future prospect of doing a super league. My bet is that clubs have agreed go defer the formation of the league, not formally withdrawn and it will be reworked and presented in another format in 12-24 months.

edcunited1878

How do you make an additional payment when there was nothing to pay incrementally from?

There is no part B without a part A....come on folks, this is pure reading comprehension!

Dve

complete bollocks. Surely you know that? So you think that €1.8bn is going somewhere from the 12 clubs that hve withdrawn?
No, I don´t surely know anything. Note though, that there are still 4 clubs (Juventus, AC Milan, Barcelona, Real Madrid) not withdrawing yet, and there may be a reason for it, cause the Super League will obviously never happen.

And there has been some investments made and surely some money already spent. I can´t imagine though, that every club has to pay 150 m Euros.

Jezpeza

nope. Clickbait shite.

USREDEVIL

Even if there is a penalty clause I doubt it's enforceable at this point. I haven't seen the contract but generally speaking, in order to have an effective contract you need all parties to sign. My understanding is that they were missing 3 parties? PSG, Bayern and Dortmund or something? Second, i'd imagine the penalty clause would only come into effect once the ESL was up and running. I mean all of the 12 clubs would surely thought the ESL was not a certainty for numerous reasons so i highly doubt they'd not have hedged their bets, especially to the tune of $150M!!!

Jezpeza

Even if there is a penalty clause I doubt it's enforceable at this point. I haven't seen the contract but generally speaking, in order to have an effective contract you need all parties to sign. My understanding is that they were missing 3 parties? PSG, Bayern and Dortmund or something? Second, i'd imagine the penalty clause would only come into effect once the ESL was up and running. I mean all of the 12 clubs would surely thought the ESL was not a certainty for numerous reasons so i highly doubt they'd not have hedged their bets, especially to the tune of $150M!!!
it never made it past proposal stage. No story here

Dve

If its true, wich is not, and it goes to the four remaning clubs, thats a very smart way to earn money.
I reckon the Super League is an independent enterprise, so the money would never go to any specific club. But I don´t know.

Wilt

A piffling £150 million? ....just pay the man and have done with it

:wenger:

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Barcelona have a clause though saying they can withdraw if their members vote against participation.
No. They're not officially in until the members vote on it.

Dve

No. They're not officially in until the members vote on it.
Seems a bit unclear if they have actually signed, but have a clause allowing them to withdraw if the members vote not to participate, or if they are waiting to sign until the members have voted.

Tarrou

Wouldn’t surprise me if such a clause existed

I doubt it’s valid when the thing barely lasted two days though

Surely the thing would need to be ratified by governing bodies first or no one would ever agree to that

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
When i said this a couple of days ago everyone pounced on me and said i was talking bs.

You don't sign contracts running into hundreds of pages and walk away the next day without consequences.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
These clubs have some of the best lawyers working for them, I’d be amazed if they didn’t think of an early exit clause of sorts or a cool down period allowing for an exit with only a minimal break fee. The whole agreement may even be conditional on some external approvals so maybe it wasn’t even effective yet even if signed.
Lawyers are also there to insure there are consequences for breaching a contract that is legally binding.