''United plan to welcome a new goalkeeper, a younger midfielder and a striker in the summer as permanent arrivals.'' Who will they be?

Alemar

"United plan to welcome a new goalkeeper, a younger midfielder and a striker in the summer as permanent arrivals.''

What's your 3 guesses?
De Jong and Victor Osimhen would make a lot of sense. Hard to say about GKs - there are way too many options.

Seven Seas Sardines

Maignan, Frenkie, Osimhen.
Timber, Bastoni, Sabitzer, Weghorst for depth.

Works out at around £350m. With new owners and payments spread over 5 years we can spend even more if we want.

Red00012

As long as Osimhen is one of them I couldn’t give a feck who the others are

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Its a non story because no one knows whose the new owners are and whether they will keep the present setup

Cloud7

Raya is good on crosses, off his line and plays the ball well but is an average shot stopper.
The first two things, especially being good on crosses and commanding the area properly, are far more important than being an outstanding shot stopper in my opinion.

sifi36

The first two things, especially being good on crosses and commanding the area properly, are far more important than being an outstanding shot stopper in my opinion.
I would absolutely agree with that if you had to choose between the two. If Maignan is affordable (depends on ownership and FFP) or if Samba is available (4 years left on his contract) then we don’t, we can have a keeper who is elite at everything.

CallyRed

Whoever Brighton want to sign we should just do a Chelsea and snap them up

mikeyt

We need two strikers. Martial is done.
With you on this, we cannot continue to keep players around because of pre-season form that very quickly goes to shite! I know he's been injured and in his defence I do think he'd have had a good season if he'd been fit, but he hasn't. Time to move on.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Outside of FDJ (doesn't want to leave Barca) and Bellingham (crazy price and likely to go elsewhere) what other CM's are there? Caicedo I don't see being a good fit

foolsgold

I guess it all depends on transfers out too and how some of the returning loan players are view, Hannibal has had a good loan spell at Birmingham. I would have expected him to return and fill the "young midfielder" slot.

We need two strikers, might be Wout plus one, Martial just isn't someone we can depend on.

Old Ma Crow

Meslier/Raya
McAllister + Sabitzer(if he does well and if he wants to join/Bayern are reasonable)
Ramos/Ferguson

Valencia Shin Crosses

Yes, I'm aware of that. Contracts can be amended and restated if an appropriate offer come along.

Nooo, you have to stop being greedy and leave some for the rest of us; are Pedri, Gavi, Frenkie, Torre not enough? And, I'm also curious to see him in a top team. While he's not a comparable talent to Pedri (who is, really?), he possesses quite a few qualities in his own right — in terms of general interpretation of space, ball-carrying nous, deftness of touch and so forth. We really lack some of those characteristics in our current midfield group, and maybe he can be molded into a better rhythmic passer and organizer as an interior midfielder with time. Could be a worthwhile project for ten Hag, Moleiro's potential is definitely very tantalizing. :)
Yeah ball carrying midfielder is at the top of the list of what we need, especially with Casemiro and Bruno being the other two midfielders in a side.

Bwuk

If Everton go down I’d be interested in Onana.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
Osimhen (Kane), Raya, Sabitzer could be a good window and would lock us for the title challenge, the latter two should be cheap too.. maybe snap some RB or a CM form a relegating team..

wolvored

I'd be pleasantly surprised if the club has earmarked summer transfer targets this early, going on previous summer transfer windows. But hopefully Ten Hag will have pushed the board to act a bit more decisively this time.

New ownership could change all this of course but hopefully groundwork is being done for the three positions in that article - because they are needed. I'd be hopeful we sign Sabitzer and Weghorst also, if they are both deemed successful.
Yes can see TH telling the board these 3 are a minimum, now go and scout 3/4 choices of each. If we win a coule of cups and finish 2nd/3rd, we will be in a much better place and a better proposition to pick and choose than finish empty handed, which at this time seems very unlikely.

meamth

Vlahovic, De Jong and another back up keeper.

Why back up keeper? Because if De Gea stays, then we have a problem. I still rate DDG though.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Sigh I don't trust Sam Luckhurst these days. Has he been getting it right these days for transfer?

But if I have to pick realistically. Raya, Mac Allister, Osimhen.
Seems more of a conclusion than news. I think given the 3 positions to strengthen next season we would come to the same conclusion. Luckhurst or otherwise

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Vlahovic, De Jong and another back up keeper.

Why back up keeper? Because if De Gea stays, then we have a problem. I still rate DDG though.
Because in order to retain the possession, our keeper will need to know how to be composed and good on the ball. ETH next step is to change the mentality of our team to be a team that capable to retain possession against any opposition whether it's against low block or against teams that play high press. Even team like Brentford are playing high press.

Mr Smith

"A younger midfielder"?

That sounds strangely specific
Probably just a reflection of the fact that both Casemiro and Eriksen are on the wrong side of 30, so we need the next player signed in that area of the pitch to be young.

I think we have a realistic chance of getting both Canciedo or Rice in midfield, but striker is anyone's guess. Kane or Osimhen would be the dream, but will both cost a fortune. I'd take Vlahovic if we can pry him away from Juve, and if the betting scandal doesn't result in a hefty ban, I actually think Ivan Toney would be a great option and a bit more affordable than the others mentioned.

Fer

Who do you rate higher… Raya, Costa or Maignan?

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Both the main positions we need seem to have a dearth of talent currently.

Ball carrying CMs with good passing range and strong-ish defensively are limited to probably Bellingham, FDJ isn't the strongest defensively, but probably carries the ball better than anyone in that CM role.

Striker I feel is even worse, Oshimen the stand out target with Kane being an obvious choice, but with the issue of being around the same age as a lot of our peak players. Varane, Casemiro and Bruno all needing replacing around the same time will already be a nightmare.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic

"United plan to welcome a new goalkeeper, a younger midfielder and a striker in the summer as permanent arrivals.''

What's your 3 guesses?

Goalkeeper: David Raya
Midfielder: Frankie de Jong
Striker: Harry Kane
Hot they signed them

croadyman

I expect 4-5
Yeah I feel GK,CM,ST is possible along with a bit of depth which could be making Weghorst/Sabitzer permanent if the opportunity arises of course,otherwise would look at two of maybe Thuram/Aouar/N'dicka/Tielemans on free

Last edited:

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Outside of FDJ (doesn't want to leave Barca) and Bellingham (crazy price and likely to go elsewhere) what other CM's are there? Caicedo I don't see being a good fit
There will always be players popping up now and then, year ago Caicedo and Enzo weren't options and now they are 2 of the hottest prospects.

There will be players, hopefully our scouts are up for the job.

NoPace

Ramos
Bellingham
Samba

Obviously need a backup or 2 in case Bellingham doesn’t pick us, but we do have a lot to offer him now that we’re not a basket case.