''United plan to welcome a new goalkeeper, a younger midfielder and a striker in the summer as permanent arrivals.'' Who will they be?

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
There will always be players popping up now and then, year ago Caicedo and Enzo weren't options and now they are 2 of the hottest prospects.

There will be players, hopefully our scouts are up for the job.
Yep, the “next big thing” is always around the corner. A lot of clubs overlooked Guimarães when he was at Paranaense and Lyon, and he's one of the best performers in the league now. Talent is always available; you just need to look hard enough and have the willingness to refine it (and also get lucky, no doubt about that...every transfer comes with a degree of risk). In terms of potential, Enzo Le Fée is not markedly inferior to the aforementioned duo, and he's still at Lorient. Good ball progressor, capable of retaining possession in tight spaces, and works pretty hard in defensive transitions — with experience and top coaching, he could become a high-level rhythmic passer who slows down or speed ups the tempo of the side too (right now he lacks the accuracy, vision and execution of sensei-level central midfield architects).

Pure data doesn't tell the whole story, but with him it certainly corroborates the eye test...

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Yep, the “next big thing” is always around the corner. A lot of clubs overlooked Guimarães when he was at Paranaense and Lyon, and he's one of the best performers in the league now. Talent is always available; you just need to look hard enough and have the willingness to refine it (and also get lucky, no doubt about that...every transfer comes with a degree of risk). In terms of potential, Enzo Le Fée is not markedly inferior to the aforementioned duo, and he's still at Lorient. Good ball progressor, capable of retaining possession in tight spaces, and works pretty hard in defensive transitions — with experience and top coaching, he could become a high-level rhythmic passer who slows down or speed ups the tempo of the side too (right now he lacks the accuracy, vision and execution of sensei-level central midfield architects).

Pure data doesn't tell the whole story, but with him it certainly corroborates the eye test...

Yeah this is what I was talking about. There are talented players available, we need to do look for it and also have patience with them.

Signing the obvious players is not always the answer and more often than not they come with huge price tag and that itself adds unnecessary pressure as the performances are judged with fee in mind.

bucky

Outside of FDJ (doesn't want to leave Barca) and Bellingham (crazy price and likely to go elsewhere) what other CM's are there? Caicedo I don't see being a good fit
Manuel Ugarte from Sporting should probably be someone we should look at. Young, good passer, excellent workrate, good dribbler and shouldn't be as expensive as de Jong or Enzo Fernándes. André from Fluminese I'd say has probably similar attributes, but is less proven than Ugarte. I haven't seen enough of both, but statistically they look like exactly what we are looking for.

RkkMan

Very very very surprised at some people here scoffing at the importance of a new CB if we sell Maguire
One injury to Varane/Licha and you'll be crying about depth like most here did after Eriksen being sidelined and no using Shaw/Casemiro as makeshifts isn't a solution because it still leaves us short elsewhere
Once Jones, Maguire, Tuanzebe and Bailly all leave it'll be super super negligent to not sign a body at CB. Doesn't have to be someone expensive a cheap young CB that can play at LCB/RCB is more than affordable and okay
Anyway my personal picks
GK- Raya
CM- FDJ/Mac Allister/Jude
ST- Osimhen/Vlahovic/Kane

ForeverRed1

Depends on budget, surely ?

Assuming FDJ isn't coming .

Kane + Jude : 160m.
Kane + a budget midfielder: 100m
Osimhen + Jude : 200m
Osimhen + budget midfielder- 150m

Raya's fees will cancel out with Hendo.
Martial, McT & Maguire will leave. Hope we get Sabitzer and Wout permanently .
160mil for kane and Jude? Jude will be 120/130mil on his own…

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Feel we need experienced striker but like others
I agree here. Im just not convinced with Ramos yet. His current level and experienced are still not up there with what we need if we want to challenge the league.

Ferguson is still too young.

padzilla

Hipster
Nobody will be signing Bellingham for anything less than 120-130 million and possibly even as much as 150 in this crazy market.

Oranges038

I agree here. Im just not convinced with Ramos yet. His current level and experienced are still not up there with what we need if we want to challenge the league.

Ferguson is still too young.
As the old saying goes, If you are good enough, you are old enough.

Question really is, is he good enough?

Signing someone like Benzema on a free and a younger striker like Ferguson is not a bad idea. Anthing that'll move Martial closer to the exit can only be a positive.

Baneofthegame

Would love for us to try and get Caqueret/Le Fee if we can't get our main targets.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag

Signing someone like Benzema on a free and a younger striker like Ferguson is not a bad idea. Anthing that'll move Martial closer to the exit can only be a positive.
Bad idea imo. Benzema at 36 will be too risky since knowing that someone like Ronaldo with his natural physique already look almost finished at 36, I can see the high possibility that Benzema who is worse in natural physique than Ronaldo might be finished at 36. Even if somehow it’s only 1 season, Ferguson might not be ready to replace him a season later.

honirelandboy

CM - Alexis McAllister and Caicedo - Might take Scott and Donny for 100 million? I'm just weary that one injury to Casemeiro and we are back to McFred.
CF - Oshimen - I do like Kane but Oshimen clearly the better age. I'd like a young striker too.

PSV

Bellingham will not be available for £80-£90 million. I’d expect him to be closer to double that.
Going to be quite the bidding war if we're in for him. Current market value is €110m according to transfermarkt.

Dortmund usually sell at about 80-90% of market value whereas we've usually bought for at least 150% of market value or above (last Ole summer aside).

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Think its time to buy shares in BVB ahead of the summer transfer window

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Bellingham will not be available for £80-£90 million. I’d expect him to be closer to double that.
I guarantee that will never happen. £120-130m is a significantly more realistic number, in the upper end.

The sums you speak of are reserved for the peak generational goalscorers, or solo machines, like Mbappe, Messi, Haaland (next time he moves along if there is a bidding war). Bellingham is cerainly elite,but he wont get close to 200m euros.

I hope we stay well clear away from Kane. His brothers hands are manicured enough without Old Trafford throwing more moisturizer his way

hobbers

Le Fee is tiny, lack of physicality could be a real problem in a competitive league.

MegadrivePerson

Nobody will be signing Bellingham for anything less than 120-130 million and possibly even as much as 150 in this crazy market.
From what I've heard he is almost certainly going to Liverpool, which is presumably why they haven't signed a midfielder in either of the last two windows.

Kaos

I guess it all depends on who are new owners are, assuming we have new owners by then (I'm a bit of a pessimist, so not entirely convinced the Glazers will have definitely fecked off come the summer).

But assuming we'll have money to spend.

Raya/Costa for GK
De Jong for Midfield (not entirely sure this is likely anymore, but can't think of many alternatives). I'd also imagine we'd be tempted to sign Sabitzer permanently if he does well, seems a useful player to have for his versatility.
Osimhen/Kane for CF. Whichever is more likely to join us. I'd also imagine Weghorst might be signed permanently too assuming he ends this campaign strong, and if Burnley don't decide to fleece us.

I can also see us going in for free agents for squad depth - potentially the likes of Tielemans.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Don't believe the media hype. Enzo cost 100m in Jan. That's probably the highest they will ask for. But in summer, Dortmund will sell him for 80-90.

romufc

Don't believe the media hype. Enzo cost 100m in Jan. That's probably the highest they will ask for. But in summer, Dortmund will sell him for 80-90.
Enzo had a release clause of 120m euros, which is why he cost that much. Dortmund do not need to sell either, it would be like the Sancho thing.

120m if you want him this summer and 80m next summer.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
We need a RB too.

Central midfielder is key. It’s not about youth or pressing legs alone. We need a playmaker and have done so for a decade. And I’m wary of FDJ - he looked sloppy and poor at the World Cup. Someone like Chelsea’s Enzo or a proper playmaker is needed.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Is Etikete (?) considered important at PSG? Would y’all consider him a top talent?

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Enzo had a release clause of 120m euros, which is why he cost that much. Dortmund do not need to sell either, it would be like the Sancho thing.

120m if you want him this summer and 80m next summer.
So 135m euros for him this summer? Not a chance he is going for that. You can mark my post and shame me or thank later.

It would be similar to that of Tchouameni and may be some English tax.

romufc

So 135m euros for him this summer? Not a chance he is going for that. You can mark my post and shame me or thank later.

It would be similar to that of Tchouameni and may be some English tax.
Lets see, I think that figure of 120m is way too much for a footballer. It also depends on whos in for him. We know for a fact that Liverpool will be in for him, if we get new owners and top4 who knows ?

sparx99

From what I've heard he is almost certainly going to Liverpool, which is presumably why they haven't signed a midfielder in either of the last two windows.
Even if they miss out on CL and we win a cup or two? We’d be on the up and be able to pay more.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Maybe we will get an experienced, oldish striker now that you know who is coming back. Spend the money else where?

Rawls

You'll never find, that microfilm of mine
Not sure these are the players Utd will sign but moreso the players who I think we could sign and am hopeful we will sign.

GK: Raya - Only the one year left on his contract, not world-class but very good all the same and more importantly, a great fit. Fit is very, very important; there are better goalkeepers than Ramsdale but few GKs are better fits for Arsenal.

CM: FdJ - Tebas seemed to suggest that Barca need to cut their payroll this summer by €200M and it's hard to see them doing that without selling de Jong. If we get CL and Barca actually act like a proper club this summer, I think we have a decent chance at signing Frenkie.

ST: Ramos - Possibly cheaper than Osimhen. He's younger too and is probably better at than Osimhen was at the same age. More importantly, he's probably a better fit for how EtH likes to play than Osimhen.

Kinsella

Copy & Paste Merchant

He’s displayed all the relevant attributes from the games I’ve seen. But…it’s a very small sample size!

He won’t be a surprise for teams going forward now - they’ll make plans to contain him so it’ll be interesting to see how he gets on. I think it’s better for his own development (and the national team) that he stays at Brighton, at least until the end of next season (when he’ll still only be 19). I’d definitely want United to go and get him though if other clubs starting showing serious interest between now and then.

Last edited:

footballbite

Cool chart, but it just reinforces how annoying it was for Utd to miss out on Fernandez.

However, any Eredivisie / Feyenoord followers out there have any impressions on Orkun Kokcu? He shows up very well there, as well as in other stats you'd want from a CM when checking out his broader data. Looking at some clips he also passes the initial eye test. He gives me quite significant Bruno Fernandes vibes. Determined midfielder with cute technique and a good striker of the ball. Only just turned 22. Ten Hag does like Eredivisie educated players as well.

While Enzo Le Fee also comes up well on those stats,but I'm not so immediately impressed by him in clips. He seems a bit too reliant on dribbling combined with shorter range passing. He seems a bit like when the younger Modric was more an attacking midfielder, but not sure he's got the passing range and ball control to compensate for the lack of physicality.

I really think Kokcu would do well for someone in the PL based on initial viewings. I'd take him over Le Fee or Caqueret. Benfica are even rumoured to be looking at him to replaced Enzo.

Last edited:

AdNani

Raya
Macallister
Sabitzer
Weghorst
Gonçalo Ramos

Leaving
Henderson
Martial
Maguire
Mctominay