United players in the Euros - All the players are now back with United

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Katie Zelem and Lucy Staniforth who were in the big squad for pre-Euros preparation don't make the final 23.

The full squad:

That means Steph Houghton is out, but Jill Scott and Fran Kirby do. Niamh Charles doesn't make the final cut.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
It’s funny, when I see United, she does well, but I seldom think of her as the most obvious candidate to hold a steady position at such a good National Team.

Bøe Risa and Thorisdottir have been regulars for my country.
The manager really fancies her and I remember her saying that Earps was definitely her first choice goalie.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Bøe Risa and Thorisdottir have been regulars for my country.
Full Norway squad:
Guro Pettersen, Sunniva Skoglund, Aurora Mikalsen, Tuva Hansen, Maren Mjelde, Anja Sonstevold, Anna Langas Josendal, Julie Blakstad, Maria Thorisdottir, Synne Skinnes Hansen, Guro Bergsvand, Vilde Boe Risa, Amalie Eikeland, Ingrid Syrstad Engen, Frida Maanum, Lisa Naalsund, Karina Saevik, Guro Reiten, Elisabeth Turland, Sophie Roman Haug, Celin Bizet Ildhusoy, Caroline Graham Hansen, Ada Hegerberg.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Jackie Groenen will be playing at Leigh Sports Village with the Netherlands.

Netherlands squad for Euro 2022
Goalkeepers: Sari van Veenendaal (PSV), Jacintha Weimar (Feyenoord), Barbara Lorsheyd (ADO Den Haag).

Defenders: Aniek Nouwen (Chelsea), Stefanie van der Gragt (Ajax), Merel van Dongen (Atletico Madrid), Lynn Wilms (Wolfsburg), Caitlin Dijkstra (Twente), Dominique Janssen (Wolfsburg).

Midfielders: Sherida Spitse (Ajax), Victoria Pelova (Ajax), Damaris Egurrola (Lyon), Jackie Groenen (Manchester United), Kayleigh van Dooren (Twente), Kerstin Casparij (Twente), Marisa Olislagers (Twente), Jill Baijings (Essen), Jill Roord (Wolfsburg).

Forwards: Chasity Grant (Ajax), Romee Leuchter (Ajax), Vivianne Miedema (Arsenal), Esmee Brugts (PSV), Katja Snoeijs (Bordeaux), Lineth Beerensteyn (Bayern Munich).

Grande

Jackie Groenen will be playing at Leigh Sports Village with the Netherlands.

Netherlands squad for Euro 2022
Goalkeepers: Sari van Veenendaal (PSV), Jacintha Weimar (Feyenoord), Barbara Lorsheyd (ADO Den Haag).

Defenders: Aniek Nouwen (Chelsea), Stefanie van der Gragt (Ajax), Merel van Dongen (Atletico Madrid), Lynn Wilms (Wolfsburg), Caitlin Dijkstra (Twente), Dominique Janssen (Wolfsburg).

Midfielders: Sherida Spitse (Ajax), Victoria Pelova (Ajax), Damaris Egurrola (Lyon), Jackie Groenen (Manchester United), Kayleigh van Dooren (Twente), Kerstin Casparij (Twente), Marisa Olislagers (Twente), Jill Baijings (Essen), Jill Roord (Wolfsburg).

Forwards: Chasity Grant (Ajax), Romee Leuchter (Ajax), Vivianne Miedema (Arsenal), Esmee Brugts (PSV), Katja Snoeijs (Bordeaux), Lineth Beerensteyn (Bayern Munich).
No Lieke Martens?

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
No Lieke Martens?
Hmm, that's odd. Maybe a slip on the site I copied it from - I just assumed it was a recurrence of her injury but looking around at other sites, she's there!

Oops...

From ESPN this time:
Goalkeepers: Daphne van Domselaar (Twente), Barbara Lorsheyd (ADO Den Haag), Sari van Veenendaal (PSV).

Defenders: Kerstin Casparij (Twente), Caitlin Dijkstra (Twente), Merel van Dongen (Atletico Madrid), Stefanie van der Gragt (Ajax), Dominique Janssen (Wolfsburg), Aniek Nouwen (Chelsea), Marisa Olislagers (Twente), Lynn Wilms (Wolfsburg).

Midfielders: Danielle van de Donk (Lyon), Damaris Egurrola (Lyon), Jackie Groenen (Manchester United), Victoria Pelova (Ajax), Jill Roord (Wolfsburg), Sherida Spitse (Ajax).

Forwards: Lineth Beerensteyn (Bayern Munich), Esmee Brugts (PSV), Renate Jansen (Twente), Romee Leuchter (Ajax), Lieke Martens (Barcelona), Vivianne Miedema (Arsenal).

Grande

Hmm, that's odd. Maybe a slip on the site I copied it from - I just assumed it was a recurrence of her injury but looking around at other sites, she's there!

Oops...

From ESPN this time:
Goalkeepers: Daphne van Domselaar (Twente), Barbara Lorsheyd (ADO Den Haag), Sari van Veenendaal (PSV).

Defenders: Kerstin Casparij (Twente), Caitlin Dijkstra (Twente), Merel van Dongen (Atletico Madrid), Stefanie van der Gragt (Ajax), Dominique Janssen (Wolfsburg), Aniek Nouwen (Chelsea), Marisa Olislagers (Twente), Lynn Wilms (Wolfsburg).

Midfielders: Danielle van de Donk (Lyon), Damaris Egurrola (Lyon), Jackie Groenen (Manchester United), Victoria Pelova (Ajax), Jill Roord (Wolfsburg), Sherida Spitse (Ajax).

Forwards: Lineth Beerensteyn (Bayern Munich), Esmee Brugts (PSV), Renate Jansen (Twente), Romee Leuchter (Ajax), Lieke Martens (Barcelona), Vivianne Miedema (Arsenal).
Looking forward to see them, they always play some fine football.

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
I don't normally take a lot of interest in the Women's teams...but I have been watching England's ladies in the Euro's and saw last night's game v Norway.

Thorisdottir had a 'mare' and wondered if that was a one-off or indicative of her calibre?

Didn't look good from a United perspective.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
I don't normally take a lot of interest in the Women's teams...but I have been watching England's ladies in the Euro's and saw last night's game v Norway.

Thorisdottir had a 'mare' and wondered if that was a one-off or indicative of her calibre?

Didn't look good from a United perspective.
She had a torrid time when she arrived at United. Very error prone - she came in as a starter but got dropped. Over time, she started to get minutes again as a sub fullback or central defender and gradually started to look ok. By the end of last season she was looking pretty solid - in a very depleted (by long-term injuries) defence.

As for last night, the errors won't surprise anyone who's watched United women. In fact I'm pretty sure last night looked very like United losing 6-1 to Chelsea - outplayed and out thought by top forwards.

MUW4Eva

She had a torrid time when she arrived at United. Very error prone - she came in as a starter but got dropped. Over time, she started to get minutes again as a sub fullback or central defender and gradually started to look ok. By the end of last season she was looking pretty solid - in a very depleted (by long-term injuries) defence.

As for last night, the errors won't surprise anyone who's watched United women. In fact I'm pretty sure last night looked very like United losing 6-1 to Chelsea - outplayed and out thought by top forwards.
The issue is, we don't currently have any other CB options, rumours about the French CB sure, but nothing officially confirmed by the club as of yet.

So Thorisdottir is our current and only match fit CB right now.
Millie is coming back from a long term health issue, & Mannion is still out gor a good few more months yet sadly.

So, yes Thorisdottir had a bad game yesterday (as did City's fullback, but strangely that isn't getting as much of a mention .......), but right now, we don't have any other option, but to play her, so here is hoping it was more of a blip yesterday .....

Maestro14

OHKO'd a shiny Electrike
I think it's harsh to blame Thorisdottir for the defence being as bad as it was. She wasn't any worse than the full backs. I think she's getting so much stick for the mistake on the third goal and the ridiculous penalty, but most of England's goals came from the wide players having so much time and space on the ball. And to their credit, England pressed very well from the front. Norway were barely able to get out of their own half.

For me, the manager has to take the blame for how his team were set up in the first half. If they were all individual mistakes then you can blame the players, but when you're supposedly on of the best teams in the tournament and you concede six in one half, you have to question the tactics of the manager. Nobody looked good for Norway, and they have some top quality players.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Maria Thorisdottir and Vilde Boe Risa were in the Norway team that went out in the group stage. Maria was designated scapegoat for the 8-0 defeat against England. Vilde didn't get many minutes.

Jackie Groenen, despite missing a match due to covid, was one of Netherlands better players, but couldn't stop them losing to France who got an extra time penalty to win 1-0.

Ona Batlle (and Lucia Garcia who hadn't been announced, but who had probably already signed) were part of the Spanish team who lost to England in the QF. Ona played every minute and looked like the top player we know she is. Lucia was played mostly out of position (at centre forward) played mostly as a sub, and got a goal against Finland.

The England three are still there and I won't comment on how well they're playing due to the risk of jinxing them.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Said it in it other thread, but United need to really build on this now. The interest in Toone and Russo will be big, but the marketing machine behind it/them and transfer that interest into the team.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Hail Mary. She took quite a few knocks, but made it to the end. Russo keeps up without injuries and she'll be main attacker everywhere.

Toone having a Cantona moment with that goal. Pure joy.

redshaw

Earps probably underrated in the England run and going on to win.

Quite often you see the keepers not handle the corners and penalty box scrambles which leads to soft goals but she was there claiming everything convincingly and not gifting goals. Really impressed.

Brilliant goals from Russo and Toone, the matches come alive when they get on.

JuriM

Russo was all the good kinds of insane, brilliant future ahead for her.

Maestro14

OHKO'd a shiny Electrike
All three of them had an excellent tournament. Proud of them all. Hopefully, they can replicate this in a United shirt.

kundalini

Not that surprised by the performances of Alessia and Ella as I've thought both were class players for quite a long time. Absolutely astonished by Mary Earps - never saw that coming. Overall, I'd rate her behind Beth Mead and Alessia but ahead of just about every other England player in this tournament.

spiriticon

We need to keep these 3 + Ona and Jackie as the spine of the team for the next few years.

Russo is one hell of a number 9.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Hmmm, not sure how I feel about this. Ok, I guess, for Maria and Vilde - they've had 3 weeks break and didn't play that much. However, Ona's only had two weeks break, and played every match for Spain. I'm guessing Ona came back early because she wanted to - Barca and Madrid's Spanish players went back last week - but it doesn't feel like a good idea.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Vilde Boe Risa and Maria Thoridottir are back in training with us. Ona Batlle and our new signing Lucia Garcia are there as well. I hope they got a long enough break after the QF. It still seems a bit rushed to me - I'm used to that 3 week minimum break they have adopted for the men.

I haven't seen photos of Jackie Groenen yet, so hopefully she's getting some rest away from the paparazzi! Mary Earps, Ella Toone and Alessia Russo are on holiday, and the press photographers seem to be on the prowl.

The other Euros player we've been linked to is France's Aïssatou Tounkara. I've not heard of any further confirmation that she really is joining us (or heard about any Manchester sightings!). Hopefuly she's on holiday as well.

Adriana Leon has now arrived in Manchester, having spent the summer with Canadian women's team playing in the CONCACAF Cup.