United players you have loved and hated

UTD_Since_1978

Loved far too many to name.

So, on to the dislikes;

Fellaini, all elbows, nasty piece of work & not in a good way.

And finally, someone loved by many but I thought he was hugely overrated...Andy Cole.

Yeap, you look at the number of goals he scored & it is good, (not surprising when you are playing in a team that mostly attacks & playing alongside the likes of Becks, Giggs, Scholes, Cantona & Keane) but the bottom line is, a large % of his goals were scored when UTD were already winning games, he rarely popped up with a crucial match winning goal (except Spurs 98-99).

94-95 with Cantona suspended we finished double runners-up because Cole was unable to score the important goals that Cantona normally provided including firing a blank in the final PL game of the season which if we had won would've won us the league. 95 Cup Final he was cup tied, got that mixed up with 96 when he wasn't, d'oh!

95-96, how many times in that season did Cantona score & we won 1-0 including the 1996 FA Cup Final which Cole once again fired a blank.

98-99 ECL SF 1st leg, Cole fires blank as Giggs scores the goal to avoid a home defeat, ECL SF 2nd leg, was it not great work by Yorke that gave Cole an easy tap-in to give Cole a rare goal in an important match?

98-99 FA Cup SF, Cole draws yet another blank, Replay, Becks & a wonder goal by Giggs do the business for UTD as Cole fires yet another blank.

1999 FA Cup Final, yet another important game with Cole unable to score.

1999 Champions League Final, Sheringham & Ole score the goals (as subs) as starter Cole once again fails to deliver in an important game.

I think if you look at UTD's matches in cup competitions from the QF onwards, Cole played in about 18 & scored maybe 3, not great from your star striker, the guy you want to get you goals.

Last edited:

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips

So, on to the dislikes;

And finally, someone loved by many but I thought he was hugely overrated...Andy Cole.

Yeap, you look at the number of goals he scored & it is good, (not surprising when you are playing in a team that mostly attacks & playing alongside the likes of Becks, Giggs, Scholes, Cantona & Keane) but the bottom line is, a large % of his goals were scored when UTD were already winning games, he rarely popped up with a crucial match winning goal (except Spurs 98-99).

94-95 with Cantona suspended we finished double runners-up because Cole was unable to score the important goals that Cantona normally provided including firing a blank in the final PL game of the season which if we had won would've won us the league & another blank in the 1995 FA Cup Final.

95-96, how many times in that season did Cantona score & we won 1-0 including the 1996 FA Cup Final which Cole once again fired a blank.

98-99 ECL SF 1st leg, Cole fires blank as Giggs scores the goal to avoid a home defeat, ECL SF 2nd leg, was it not great work by Yorke that gave Cole an easy tap-in to give Cole a rare goal in an important match?

98-99 FA Cup SF, Cole draws yet another blank, Replay, Becks & a wonder goal by Giggs do the business for UTD as Cole fires yet another blank.

1999 Champions League Final, Sheringham & Ole score the goals (as subs) as starter Cole once again fails to deliver in an important game.

I think if you look at UTD's matches in cup competitions from the QF onwards, Cole played in about 18 & scored maybe 3, not great from your star striker, the guy you want to get you goals.

I can't be bothered with most of this twaddle but just as far as 94/95 is concerned ,Cole did score important goals in the first few months after he joined us in 95 and probably the reason he didn't score in the 1995 Cup Final was because he didn't play as he was cup-tied. The rest is not worth the effort.

Spaghetti

Mom's
What have Sheringham and Smith done to deserve such ire?
I didn’t particularly like Sheringham’s arrogant aura, and then when the Cole/Sheringham problem came about, he entered my bad books. He was also pretty shit for us, except for one half season.

Smith was shit for Leeds, we should never have signed him. He spent a couple of years running around, fouling needlessly and mishitting shots. He was like McTominay but even worse. And he was more of a dickhead than McTominay.

Spaghetti

Mom's

So, on to the dislikes;

94-95 with Cantona suspended we finished double runners-up because Cole was unable to score the important goals that Cantona normally provided including firing a blank in the final PL game of the season which if we had won would've won us the league. 95 Cup Final he was cup tied, got that mixed up with 96 when he wasn't, d'oh!

What on earth have I just read. He was our leading scorer in Europe at one point. Consistently scored goals throughout his stay.

In 1995 he was cup tied in the FA Cup so it’s a bit harsh to blame that on him. He hit the post against WHU on the last day, but we were mostly in a position to still win the league because of Cole’s 13 goals despite not signing until the end of January. And many of them were winners.

You list games he didn’t score in during the 98-99 season, but what about Barcelona away, Juventus away, Spurs at home (the goal that won the league), double away at Newcastle, big goals to win points against Chelsea, Arsenal and Leeds.

big rons sovereign

I didn’t particularly like Sheringham’s arrogant aura, and then when the Cole/Sheringham problem came about, he entered my bad books. He was also pretty shit for us, except for one half season.

Smith was shit for Leeds, we should never have signed him. He spent a couple of years running around, fouling needlessly and mishitting shots. He was like McTominay but even worse. And he was more of a dickhead than McTominay.
:lol: that all seems a bit harsh.

Robindinho

Too many to name who I loved but from my childhood, my favourites were Beckham and then Van Nistelrooy. Probably like everyone, Rooney & Ronaldo after that. Always had a soft spot for Berbatov & Herrera.

Wouldn't say that I hated anyone, more just disliked if they were in the lineup. (Fellaini or Lingard for example).

I remember as a kid that I wasn't too keen on Nicky Butt - I think it stemmed from disliking his football card (the ones were the players had big heads) :lol:

SirMonteyne

I'd say it's McTominay, I used to tell my friends that he will destroy every team, he will destroy Barcelona and real midfielders easily. But in the end he managed to destroy United's midfield.

OleGunnar20

Players I loved growing up (Some odd ones Included):

Gabriel Heinze - Hard tackling all action type. Came from a cool country and had the same shite haircut as me at the time. I was a similarly shortish, slide tackling CB/LB and so kids at school called me Heinze and he quickly became a favourite of mine. I remember a few heated debated with my mate at the time over whether this new fella 'Evra' would ever take his place. Safe to say I was on the wrong side of that one ..

Tomasz Kusczack - I'm half polish and played in goal now and then. That's about all it takes at 13 i suppose. Always thought he was a great shot stopper.

Wes Brown - Loved his style of defending, was convinced he was better than Rio for longer than I'd care to admit. My dad once brought home a goalie glove signed by Wes as a gift for some occasion of another. Turned out he'd forged his signature from the shiney in my lovingly curated sticker album.

Ole Gunnar - Just loved the guy. Humble, honest professional who played his part to a tee. Gutted it didn't work out here in the end.

RVN - My favourite United striker of all time. I've yet to see someone half as clinical as he was, it was uncanny how ruthless a goalscorer he was. I'll always remember that goal against Fulham where he skinned about 8 of their players from the halfway line before tucking it away cool as ever. Such an un-RVN goal. What a player.

Nemanja Vidic - What an utter beast. Probably my favourite defender ever, the guy was utterly fearless and meshed with Rio perfectly. Their partnership looking back was a work of art.

wazz786

For me it has to CR7, simply the G.O.A.T.
Others I have loved are Cantona, Robson, Evra, RvN, Beckham, Giggs, Nani, Kanchelskis, Keane, Rooney.
Most of current team I dislike.

Al-T

I know it's an age thing but any love for Steve Coppell, Stuart Pearson and Lou Macari?
Yes indeed, very much so for that exciting Docherty side of 1975/76/77. Jimmy Greenhoff remains one of my favourite United players.

Winning the FA Cup in 1977 and depriving Liverpool of the treble meant so much more after the horrible loss to Southampton the previous year.

Docherty's shenanigans with the physios wife led to him being replaced by Sexton and put an end to a period I always remember with affection.

Tap

So, on to the dislikes;

Cole scored plenty of equalisers and winners over the years. We will do well to have him over the garbage (except Ronaldo) we have in the post Fergie era.

What u said applies very well to Lukaku while he was with us. Fails to deliver in the big games and scores goals only when the game is won.

Monkey1185

Love: Owen, Park, Stam, van der Gouw, RvP, Keane, Beckham, Rooney, Cantona, Scholes, Bruno, Evra (walked half a pitch lenght just for a photo with us when he was at Juventus) and the list goes on.

Dislike: Di Maria, Rashford, Tevez, Cavani

By the way, how could anyone dislike Owen? It's always harder to put your allegiance aside and make the leap. The fact that he was a Liverpool legend and was genuinely happy to sign for Man Utd and gave his all for the team had earned not only my respect but also won my hearts. Who could forget the winner he scored against City in September 2009, Champions League hattrick and goal in the cup final.

That said, I just dislike players who aren't interested to play for the club (same goes for 2008 "Mr. Slave"). Those lot can f off if not happy.

Red For Ever

For me, it's not really Love or Hate

While wearing a United shirt, there are not many that I disliked, although there are some that I really disliked towards the end or after they left United.
But very few I actually Hate, some I am completely indifferent to, on the pitch or in life.

And some of my heroes did or said things that disappointed me later.
Such as later big Petes reaction when playing for City, Hughes comments when a City manager.
Ince at Liverpool, and some of his comments in the media.
Even Keane at times, but I think more recently, he is a great no-nonsense pundit, although don't always agree, but certainly entertaining.

Giggs was great as a United player, but his overall legacy has been damaged for non-footballing reasons.
Greenwood, say no more, thankful for his goals at times, but never liked him much from his interviews,
his short time with the first team showed so much potential, can't see that ever being fulfilled.
Probably one of the few I am close to hating,
Cant be compared to Giggs in any way.

Heinze, I liked him as a player at United but ended up disliking him.
Tevez is the same really, but never actually took to him anyway.
Best, I look back on him fondly, but really the second half of his career would get him a lot of criticism on this forum and others, had it existed in his day.
A top talent lost because of an addiction he could not control.

I think I'm also affected by my age.
Really top players, get on with being top players, they don't need to splash everything on Social media to increase their profile.

Media Hungary players don't do it for me, make your name as a top performer on the pitch, and the rest will follow.
Just shut up, spend your time being the best player you can, and do all the other stuff after you finish football.
I see bits on social media, some of them are so immature and protected from the world that most fans live in, that they don't even realise
the impression they are creating, for silly holiday videos, silly dances, boasting about the car they have or some other stuff they have.

Becks was a fantastic player for United and showed how far working hard and dedication gets you, but in the end, I got fed up of seeing
him on the front pages, more than the back, however, these days he comes across very well in interviews.

I don't dislike anyone for not being good enough, but I do dislike the ones that don't appear to care about United and its fans.
When people say the players are not playing for the manager, it also means they are not playing for the Fans, and that is even more
unforgivable to me.

I don't like players who give the impression it's just a job, they don't realise to most fans, that it should be much more than that.
And in some senses it is just a job I guess, but fans don't see it like that

i could go on, but ...........................

Got to go, I'm off to buy myself another " Grumpy old man T-Shirt" from Keanos store.

Last edited:

lsd

The Oracle

So, on to the dislikes;

Who let Glen Hoddle in?

nickm

What on earth have I just read. He was our leading scorer in Europe at one point. Consistently scored goals throughout his stay.

In 1995 he was cup tied in the FA Cup so it’s a bit harsh to blame that on him. He hit the post against WHU on the last day, but we were mostly in a position to still win the league because of Cole’s 13 goals despite not signing until the end of January. And many of them were winners.

You list games he didn’t score in during the 98-99 season, but what about Barcelona away, Juventus away, Spurs at home (the goal that won the league), double away at Newcastle, big goals to win points against Chelsea, Arsenal and Leeds.
Yeah, that was a bit harsh on Cole, he was a different player after we signed Yorke.

troylocker

Never 'hated' any United player...I save that for player at other clubs.
Pluss one to that!

I have found the negative bodylanguage and expressionless face of Martial extremely annoying at times though. Show some heart ffs! No hate though, and he has served us some fantastic moments as well.

The lovelist is too long to post, but Robson, Cantona, Scholes, Hughes, Beckham and Rooney deserves mentioning.

DutchSerb

Supports
FC Groningen
Ruud was my favorite player as a kid, I played the 9 in my first ever football team. I used to beg my mom to buy me United games on TV so I could watch him. I considered myself a Utd fan (I still do of course) when VD Sar, Vidic and Ronaldo where there and I was able to watch more games. The teams they broadcasted mostly on Dutch TV were either United or Barcelona so didn't really have a lot of choice, but I preferred the English league.

I loved way too many. Theres a couple I didnt really like or that made me facepalm on a regular basis:

Fellaini
Lingard
Buttner (this transfer made zero sense to me whatsoever)
Johnny Evans

Also not a fan of how De Gea threatened to leave every year, same with Pogba.

Tap

I didn’t particularly like Sheringham’s arrogant aura, and then when the Cole/Sheringham problem came about, he entered my bad books. He was also pretty shit for us, except for one
Think he was the top scorer for us in his final season at the club plus he, along with Ole, were the super subs at the club, scoring important goals when they came on.

His goals in the two 1999 finals are hugely significant. Plus he assisted for Ole’s winner.

miked99

I can't be bothered with most of this twaddle but just as far as 94/95 is concerned ,Cole did score important goals in the first few months after he joined us in 95 and probably the reason he didn't score in the 1995 Cup Final was because he didn't play as he was cup-tied. The rest is not worth the effort.
:lol:

I don't 'hate' any United players, despite my total disdain for half the current squad.

But when I was a United-obsessed kid who thought every single thing about the club was magical, I always disliked Ashley Grimes. Can't remember why, just didn't find him likeable for whatever reason I think.

Cantona will always be the legend for me. People who didn't experience it at the time will never understand just what a force of nature he was. There will never be another.

justsomebloke

Loved:

Stuart Pearson
Gordon Hill
Macari
Sharpe
Whiteside
Robson
Solskjær
Johnsen
Beckham
Giggs
Scholes
Keane
Cantona
Carrick
Stam
van Nistelrooy
Rio
Vidic
van der Sar
Schmeichel
Rooney
Ronaldo
Bruno

Hate (big word, substitute "to some extent dislike", and even then I can't find it in me to name many):

Greenwood
Lingard
Bailly
Blind
Fellaini
Barthez
Dalot
Martial

Zaka7

Love all those who know what it means to play for the shirt, give everything and actually bleed United.

My favorite growing up had to be Giggs though (ignoring the person he seemingly is now of course)

The hate category has to be any of the 'Instagram' generation where nothing matters but likes, and they are essentially poison. Even more frustrating when they have all the talent in the world. Pogba leading that one!

Josh 76

Loved:

Whiteside
Robson
Hughes
Giggs
Keane
Eric

hate.
Michael Owen !

greendevil

At the age of 42 the "Love" list would be too long...
All time favorites
Robson
Cantona
Keane
Hughes

Dislike/Hate would feature a lot of players over the past 10 years
Di Maria
Fellaini (some will say he at least tried but was never good enough in the first place to be signed)
Cleverly
Depay
Shaw
Rojo
Pogba (Frustrating beyond belief because he could be one of the best in the world)
Lingard (clown)
Barthez
Bosnich
Carrol
Goram
Lukaku
Ince (Due to his Liverpool antics)
probably a few more but don't feel like upsetting myself for the rest of the day