United quirks or rituals you have?

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Just watching Sky's The Best Premier League Goals: Manchester United vs. Chelsea, which is a rundown of every encounter we've had with them in the league since the Premeirship's inception at the time of the production (2017).

What I'm finding bizarre is Im getting really annoyed at every goal we concede and feeling the games we lost, through recall, even though these games have long since passed. On reflection, I realise I always do this: no matter how long ago the game was, if we concede or lose it, I'm bothered.

I don't actually know if this a quirk, I mean, do any of you have that, too?

Another one is: The Pavlovian response I have to YAWN. I cannot listen to it in any capacity, even when sung by the likes of Celtic or the actual original song. Again, no idea if that's unique, or if there's thousands of us with the same issue?

With regard to the first paragraph, it does remind me of how much of a disconnect there is with the United sides of the last couple of years because those feelings are more muted than they should be - I guess because there's a coping mechanism in there that is actively shielding the brain, or something.

With regard to yourself, do you think you have any particular United quirks or weird rituals related to United?

Denis79

If I watch a game on the TV I always have to lie with my head directed in the direction we are attacking.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
I usually stand around in the living room for large parts of the game, like if I get too relaxed I'm afraid to get bored and possibly give up on caring for the game.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
If I watch a game on the TV I always have to lie with my head directed in the direction we are attacking.
Must look odd if you're watching in the pub

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
Not sure it's a quirk but if we're 1-0 down against anybody home or away going into injury time i'm always "C'mon lads we can still win this" even if we've been worse than crap for 90 minutes, or if we are 2-0 down it's "C'mon lads we can still get a point here we only need one and they'll fold"

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
On the day we lost 5-0 to Chelsea (Taibi in goal), my brother and me had just bought our new United kits and wore them the whole day up to when we were watching the game.

Now, we consider it bad luck to wear any United kits on matchdays and refuse to do so.

F-A-C-T-S

I consider it bad luck to watch United drunk or in a strip club for reasons I will keep to myself :D

Also this might be an interesting topic for the broader spectrum of football fans and not just Manchester United ones.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
I browse RedCafe even when We're losing, or playing very very badly. I just don't give a shit. The current United squad is my spirit animal.

MileStolar

I only watch United for a couple of years now, and when I watch games I only look at our players whether we're attacking or defending. I'm unable to say if someone of the other team had a good or bad game I consider them as NPCs or mobs if you will in mmo jargon.

Paul_Scholes18

In the past I always put a United shirt on just before the games. Not sure anymore.
I often make physical warmup too hehe. Even though being a fan is not that hard in terms of energy needed.

Paul_Scholes18

I browse RedCafe even when We're losing, or playing very very badly. I just don't give a shit. The current United squad is my spirit animal.
Yeah I do that more now. If we are ahead I focus on the game. If down I go here during games a bit.

norm87cro

I never ever ever put a bet on United even if I'm certain we will win or lose. It just seems wrong I guess

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
On reflection, I realise I always do this: no matter how long ago the game was, if we concede or lose it, I'm bothered.
You're bothered about the goals your team have conceded years later? You trying to take @Wumminator 's Top Red crown? :lol:

M16Red

My mum used to iron when the match was on - she hasn't had that ironing board out for some time. She is round at my house today, could do with some of my gear ironed.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
I start very pessimistic, then as kick off approaches, get very optimistic and then if we lose or draw. I'm disappointed until about 10 minutes after the game and then it all starts again.

Chipper

Adulterer.
Got some led TV backlights last year and I set them to whatever colour shirt we are wearing when I'm watching a match, or at least the closest approximation. Black = off.

It's not working.

No Idea For Nickname

Patroness Saint of the anti-RAWKites
If we have 2-1, or 1-0, or any kind of narrow lead 10 minutes before the end of the game, I get my vacuum cleaner and after I'm done with it I clean my bathroom. It usually works, we win.
You are welcome.

Amarsdd

I used to watch every United match with the TV remote in my right hand. The last six years, I haven't owned a TV. I'm sorry ...

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Just watching Sky's The Best Premier League Goals: Manchester United vs. Chelsea, which is a rundown of every encounter we've had with them in the league since the Premeirship's inception at the time of the production (2017).

What I'm finding bizarre is Im getting really annoyed at every goal we concede and feeling the games we lost, through recall, even though these games have long since passed. On reflection, I realise I always do this: no matter how long ago the game was, if we concede or lose it, I'm bothered.

I don't actually know if this a quirk, I mean, do any of you have that, too?

Another one is: The Pavlovian response I have to YAWN. I cannot listen to it in any capacity, even when sung by the likes of Celtic or the actual original song. Again, no idea if that's unique, or if there's thousands of us with the same issue?

With regard to the first paragraph, it does remind me of how much of a disconnect there is with the United sides of the last couple of years because those feelings are more muted than they should be - I guess because there's a coping mechanism in there that is actively shielding the brain, or something.

With regard to yourself, do you think you have any particular United quirks or weird rituals related to United?
Don't have any rituals... different moods for different games/situations.

But I can't listen to Y N W A. My wife says I'm an idiot and it's from a musical but I cant listen to it in any format.

My brain is hot wired and if I hear the first couple of notes, I instinctively grab a remote and mute the telly.

If I'm in a pub, I go outside. When it's at grounds (like them singing it at OT this season), I hope our fans can boo enough to drown it out.

Irrational?, maybe. Apparently it's called misophonia.

Acole9

Outstanding
I like to sit on a cool box and occasionally walk up and down the living room.

Paul_Scholes18

Drink beer and chips if we lose to ease the pain.
Also drink beer and chips to selebrate a win if we draw.
If draw straight to bed or moan on here.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
You're bothered about the goals your team have conceded years later? You trying to take @Wumminator 's Top Red crown? :lol:
Losing replays (particularly from the Fergie era) that happen to be on the TV regarding us; I'll get pissed off as if the game is live. Wins and scored goals on replay go by no bother, but not losses or conceded goals. Dulled feeling over the last couple of years.

It's not like I'm screaming in rage like The Hulk, but I'm definitely annoyed.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout

But I can't listen to Y N W A. My wife says I'm an idiot and it's from a musical but I cant listen to it in any format.

My brain is hot wired and if I hear the first couple of notes, I instinctively grab a remote and mute the telly.

If I'm in a pub, I go outside. When it's at grounds (like them singing it at OT this season), I hope our fans can boo enough to drown it out.

YES! Thank you! haha, I do the same! OH has looked at me like I've lost my mind a few times for it, but doesn't really grasp how deep-seated the loathing I have for the song is.

Heinzesight

If I’m at home on the sofa and we score, after celebrating, I have to stay in the position I was in pre-goal until we either concede or score a second. fecking odd. And it’s agony sometimes!

Same with YAWN. It’s muted immediately. Often seen diving for the remote.

Pearl's a minger

For my old man's 50th birthday party (1994) some smart arse thought it would be a good idea to get a stripper in. As a 14 year old lad I also thought this was a great idea. Until the moment she beckoned my old man ( a staunch red ) up on stage in the pub. Halfway through her act the same smart arse had arranged for the d.j to put Yawn on as the strip song. Cue my old man getting up and walking out muttering I don't think so or words to that effect. Cue stunned silence and one embarrassed stripper. That song now has the same effect on me.

Chairman Steve

When I’m out with friends, I’m usually relaxed about watching Utd win, lose or draw.

On my own at home watching Utd is where things get weird. I usually end standing up watching the game for a portion of the game. These days I completely skip pre match build up and half time analysis, unless something extraordinary occurs like Suarez refusing Evras hand once. Post match only gets watched if we win.

I usually cuss under my breath watching the game and never really get loud. It’s usually stuff like “Feck off ref” when decisions are given against us or just a plain old “Feck off” if the opposition score. Utd scoring and winning are usually physically animated but quiet.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
For a while it seemed like United played better when I didn't watch although now I've proven its not true because I didn't watch the Wolves game 2 weeks ago.

Snafu17

If I'm not watching the match I refuse to know the score until it finishes. Pretty much had to train everyone I know to skip United when they're scrolling through flashscores.

SirAF

Ageist

This. I always mute that cringeworthy shite!

Toad

I only watch United for a couple of years now, and when I watch games I only look at our players whether we're attacking or defending. I'm unable to say if someone of the other team had a good or bad game I consider them as NPCs or mobs if you will in mmo jargon.
This is me most of the time :lol:

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
I can't eat, drink or light candles.

Last edited:

peridigm

I have a wank every time we score. Needless to say I've got a serious case of blue balls right now.

MartinRed

Never watch games against Chelsea with my dad because every time we lose.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Have to watch it alone. No pub, no mates, cell phone on silent... Total opposite if United is not playing.

Can't watch Liverpool playing in any capacity longer then few seconds. Couldn't do it when they were shit, can't do it now (thank God).

Robertd0803

I won't watch a match unless Ive watched it from the start and never change seats while watching.

I always wear the home kit on match day irrespective of what Im doing, but I only wear the home kit until the match is finished.

I dont go on RedCafe the day before a game or until a game is finished.

I never eat when we play.

I never watch highlights of previous wins vs our next opponents.

I never wash my jersey when we win unless its an international break.