United shopping for a shirt sponsor

peridigm

In the same day someone comes out with Chevrolet are not renewing another comes out with this gem.

Mindhunter

In reality, the Glazers will accept whoever decides to pay the most. People expecting the club to take tradition, history, conscience, and values into consideration are insane. That’s not going to happen.

Also some people may take this news gleefully - hoping that Glazers will finally sell as the cash flows dry up. However, it may end up entrenching them further into a stalemate where neither can they sell nor can they get the club back to the top.

Scotty McT

In reality, the Glazers will accept whoever decides to pay the most

I'm pretty certain that United would rather accept slightly less money from say a car or electronics company than from an alcohol or gambling company. The latter two can't be advertised on children's shirts, and alcohol sponsorships in football have died off despite their previous popularity and they're banned in certain countries which is why the likes of Liverpool when sponsored by Carlsberg had to play some European matches without a sponsor. While the only companies that are explicitly banned in England are tobacco companies, I'm sure a huge multinational brand like United wouldn't want their main sponsor to be something that large swathes of the world are against.

In fact I remember around 2006 when we were looking for a new deal after Vodafone pulled out and Mansion (a gambling company) were heavily rumoured to be close to a deal. United apparently cancelled it and went with AIG who supposedly paid the club less money. David Gill had this to say:

"Let's be clear," the United chief executive David Gill said. "We passed up the opportunity to do the world's biggest shirt deal to do the right shirt deal, one that is right for Manchester United and one that underlines our position as the world's leading club."
I'm not saying that it isn't ultimately about the money, but it isn't as simple as who pays them the most.

jderbyshire

Has anybody seen my fleshlight?
The funny thing is Chevrolet actually pulled out of selling cars in the UK (and perhaps Europe) very shortly after. It was a complete waste of time/money for them in terms of breaking into the European market.

That’s also why it won’t be renewed. They don’t sell cars in England anymore. Not that they are “unhappy”.
I don't think selling cars in England is much of a factor, to be honest.

The thing is, the shirt sponsor is mostly seen on TV during games. The US has roughly the same viewing figures as UK, and China has a far far bigger TV audience than UK.

In fact, I was an extra in a United/Chevrolet ad last year and it was purely for Chinese TV.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Still don't think we're exactly going to struggle to get a sponsor.

Companies aren't just looking at who wins the titles, they're looking at who gets the most exposure.

Even a crap United get infinitely more coverage than champions league and league winning rivals!

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
Same, to be honest. We're still a massive brand, and we'll still get a great deal that'll dwarf the majority of the league.
People, on here at least, will be disappointed.

fergiesarmy1

I don't think there will be as much of an issue as many hope.
Not sure anyone is hoping for that unless their thinking is that may trigger the glazers selling out? I’d love to hear a billion pound deal has been signed but I can’t see as many major bluechip companies queuing to be associated with this shambles as last time round for many reasons.

tomaldinho1

Ed's going to pull something ludicrous out of the bag, like $1b sponsorship from South Korea + Ji Sung as DOF

MDFC Manager

Whether we like it or not, the replacement sponsor will likely pay more than Chevrolet.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
This is a non-issue. The deal expires in 2021, and its an extremely costly one, its pretty common that new sponsors are sought out. Especially when your current sponsor was more or less blindsided into the deal.

I'd be pretty hyped about Sony as main sponsors. Or Amazon. Dark horse: Qatar Airways

With our luck we'll get Wish.com or Lufthansa.

Nono list: Lockheed Martin

studs

Wish.com would be fitting because that's all we wish for.

RedCurry

Quite possible that we will get a Saudi shirt sponsor. Maybe Aramco. That is if they haven't already decided to buy another PL club which would make a lot more sense for them quite honestly.

United Hobbit

Perhaps some nice pillow or sofa company so when the football puts you to sleep at least you'll be comfy

starman

Haven't bought a shirt in over 10 years, but i glad i won't have to look at Chevrolet anymore, it looks so ugly.

Anyway, i am guessing Lidl or Aldi next..

dev1l

I think it will be s brand looking to go global.

I suspect we may end up with some Asian relatively unknown brand.

billybee99

The BBC is reporting on their website that we have struck a £100m deal with the Jlingz Clothing Company.

Stepney73

Spice girls

On top of their game in the 90s but are now living on past glories.