United shopping for a shirt sponsor

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Watch Ed somehow find a mug willing to pay even more, securing himself a life contract from the Glazers.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
This is where Ed's skills come in handy, don't they? This is his expertise.

dove

Of course they won't, they didn't even want it when they signed the deal :lol:

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
I can't wait for all the people celebrating the idea of being rid of the logo to hate whatever comes next.

Infra-red

From an aesthetic point it's great news for their disgusting impact on kits but financially I don't think it will be easy finding someone that can match their payments.
"The club are hopeful of matching terms."

Ed might have to do better than that. This is after all literally the only thing in the world he is even halfway competent at.

SirAF

Ageist

Ed might have to do better than that. This is after all literally the only thing in the world he is even halfway competent at.
Matching terms would be quite poor considering how long ago that deal was struck.

KTP_ZA

Its gonna be Huawei or some Chinese corporation I think

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
My preference would be Dr Pepper. We could do wonders for making the “What’s the worst that could happen?” slogan great again.

Neil_Buchanan

Cock'd
I've never understood the true merit of this. I mean has any united fan on here actually bought a Chevrolet because they are a sponsor? Or went with Vodafone back in the day despite then being more expensive than o2 and orange? Are fans really corporate shill?

Can7onA

I've never understood the true merit of this. I mean has any united fan on here actually bought a Chevrolet because they are a sponsor? Or went with Vodafone back in the day despite then being more expensive than o2 and orange? Are fans really corporate shill?
Sponsorship isn't to get fans buying products.

It's about getting the maximum exposure of your brand, putting your logo on a Man Utd shirt is always going to get you exposure and has feck all to do with how well the team are doing.

Amerifan

Chevrolet were never going to renew. They didn't want the sponsorship in the first place. The bloke who set the whole deal up got fired because he didn't seek approval from the upper management before agreeing to the deal. He also didn't even agree that Chevrolet would be title shirt sponsors. It was seemingly only an agreement between the parties, most probably on the basis of United not wanting to severe the deal and lose out in the long run, that they would become title sponsors.
Exactly. The guy who signed the deal reportedly blew a significant chunk of Chevy’s advertising budget on this one sponsorship. Must have been a serious fan.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
Branding is about getting your logo in front of as many eyes as possible so when it's time to buy a car, your brain recognises that logo and you're more likely to respond to it positively if you have no clue about cars - Unfortunately for GM everyone and their dog knows Chevrolet's are garbage.

Ever noticed when you buy a new car, you constantly see the same car? It's not that everyone brought the same car as you at the same time, its just your brain recognises it more.

clarkydaz

"You'd be suprised the calibre of player wanting to play for us" - Ole last season

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
That's like saying does anyone ever buy anything because they see an advert.

They must do, or these companies wouldn't bother to advertise.

Gentleman Jim

It's absolutely amazing! Perfect even.
Supports
city
You'll need a sponsor with a worldwide product to sell -preferably one that frequently introduces new ones to the market or one that is looking to expand to a new territory that United have a particularly large following in.
Apple and Samsung are obvious candidates but National tourism and business authorities may also come into the reckoning.

starman

A A.I company like Nvidia would be good, but not sure its green logo would go well on a red shirt (Chevrolet)

HSBC would be a good choice, with its Asia connection, its clean font and logo that would blend well on a red shirt

sparx99

It’s about subconscious awareness. So you may not think ‘Vodafone are Man Utd’s sponsors. I’ll go there’ but you will think I need a phone. Vodafone provide those’ and you won’t remember where you got that idea from.

Unpopular ads like the Go Compare ads are hugely successful because they are memorable which is more important than likeable.

GodShaveTheQueen

We mean it man, we love our queen!
I'd be happy if we struggle to find sponsors and the eventual deal ends up being a shit one.

Might just be the trigger for the Glazers to sell us.

fergiesarmy1

Bullshit, this stinks of Woodward trying to flex in public yet again. I fecking hate that twat with passion! :mad:
He will If still here to actually do the deal structure it in a way that makes it look like a world record, it will also be full of clauses that means we don’t get the total deal on paper, it will also be long term which means by the time it’s coming to the end it’s a terrible deal.

Marcelinho87

Hate how the media are spinning this as though they are dropping us due to being shit.

Fact is time is up and they know they massively overpaid so they was never going to extend.

fergiesarmy1

Hate how the media are spinning this as though they are dropping us due to being shit.
It’s a good thing in the long run, may result in much needed changes from super Ed’s prophecy we don’t need to be be winning on the pitch.

I couldn’t give a feck which clowns sponsor us, I don’t fly with Russian airlines, I don’t buy many tractors and that wine is gash.

Suedesi

I worked for GM when this happened.

Ewanick wasn't sacked because the sponsorship deal happened or because it was too much money. He was sacked because he structured it as a series of smaller, separate deals, in order to have to go through fewer levels of approvals. That's a huge compliance no-no.
ON DEPARTURE FROM GENERAL MOTORS
In First Public Remarks, Calls Manchester-United Deal 'No Brainer'

By Ryan Beene. Published on October 16, 2013.
Former General Motors global marketing chief Joel Ewanick said that signing the Chevrolet-Manchester United sponsorship deal that ultimately led to his ouster last year was a "no-brainer," Automotive News reports today.

Joel Ewanick
In his first public remarks since about his July 2012 ouster, Mr. Ewanick said it was clear that the deal would bring Chevrolet increased brand exposure, purchase consideration and awareness around the world worth "over four times" the sponsorship's cost, which sources have pegged at $600 million over seven years.

Mr. Ewanick was dismissed within weeks of the announcement of the Manchester United deal. A spokesman at the time said that the executive "failed to meet the expectations the company has of an employee." Sources later said that improper handling of the deal led to Mr. Ewanick's firing.

"We crunched more data than I've ever seen. We had three separate media and consulting firms take a look at it and tell us what they thought it was worth. We had the internal GM team do it," Mr. Ewanick said in remarks at the J.D. Power Automotive Marketing Roundtable in Las Vegas.

Unwinding campaigns
"The way this was going to work over time, I would say that for the amount of money we were talking about, it was the biggest no-brainer I've seen."

The Manchester United sponsorship is one of the few major initiatives from Mr. Ewanick's tenure that has stuck at GM. Within days after his dismissal, GM expanded the partnership to include the right for Chevrolet to display its logo on the team's jerseys, which was not part of the original agreement that Mr. Ewanick inked.

GM has unwound several other marketing decisions from Mr. Ewanick's tenure. This year it rolled out Chevrolet's new marketing theme, "Find New Roads," to replace the Ewanick-era "Chevy Runs Deep" campaign.

And GM has resumed advertising on Facebook and plans to air commercials during the next Super Bowl -- both venues that Mr. Ewanick eschewed.
Either way, this guy fckd up