United squad lacks unity according to espn report

ryansgirl

I just read a report on the espn website where ' A source' said the United squad/first team are lacking in unity. An example of a senior player arranging a dinner but only 5 team-mates turned up was given.

What do you think - exaggeration of a normal situation in which players have too many other things to attend to or a demonstration of why this United team cannot do well as the members simply do not regard themselves as a united core of footballers who want to get this club back to challenging for honours again?

I wouldn't be surprised if the senior player was David de Gea or alternatively Juan Mata. However, it is also up to Ole to be reminding players that success begins off the pitch and if he is not prioritizing team-building then yes, he deserves criticism. Whether we have any proof of all this is another matter. Sir Alex Ferguson wouldn't have been sanguine about team-mates not making an effort in such ways.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Was it Miguel Delaney? That guy hates us. Wouldn't read it if he is the authour.

WolfInSharp'sClothing

Supports
Wolves
Juan Mata was the senior player. He was very upset after hours slaving over a hot stove, but his intricate buildup leading to nothing.

Pogba came, but couldn't get a babysitter so had to bring Lingard along with him.

Daniel James was early, Matic was late. Fred tried to go, but got lost and ended up at the wrong house.

Phil Jones turned up without an invite and was last to leave - he has a habit of hanging around and overstaying his welcome.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
We don't look like a squad that has unity

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
These sorts of reports will be common. Easy to believe for some people when the team is shite.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Reminds me of that story of Essien at Madrid, where only a couple of teammates turned up to his birthday.

This particular story could well be utter horseshit but in general if a players holds some kind of celebration to which his teammates are invited and hardly any turn up then it doesn't speak well of the bond in the dressing room.

Amerifan

Well, it’s settled then. That’s the reason we aren’t performing. Good to know we’re a weekend of trust exercises and scaling a wall away from dominance.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
Who cares? I generally get on with most of my colleagues but I don't want to spend my spare time with them.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Juan Mata was the senior player. He was very upset after hours slaving over a hot stove, but his intricate buildup leading to nothing.

Pogba came, but couldn't get a babysitter so had to bring Lingard along with him.

Daniel James was early, Matic was late. Fred tried to go, but got lost and ended up at the wrong house.

Phil Jones turned up without an invite and was last to leave - he has a habit of hanging around and overstaying his welcome.
Rashford showed up but couldn't finish his meal

Jezpeza

Well, it’s settled then. That’s the reason we aren’t performing. Good to know we’re a weekend of trust exercises and scaling a wall away from dominance.
think the problems run deeper yes but shouldnt scoff at squad unity - we all know what happens at work if people arent in it together

Amerifan

think the problems run deeper yes but shouldnt scoff at squad unity - we all know what happens at work if people arent in it together
Thus far we’ve blamed the owners, the board, Woodward, Judge, no DOF, Ole, the coaches, the players, the physios, and some poor fitness coach new hire unlucky enough to have his name released. Now we supposedly lack unity and Ed’s walking around the halls saying he’s losing patience with Ole. What’s left, the equipment manager has been handing out boots a half size too small.

Jezpeza

Thus far we’ve blamed the owners, the board, Woodward, Judge, no DOF, Ole, the coaches, the players, the physios, and some poor fitness coach new hire unlucky enough to have his name released. Now we supposedly lack unity and Ed’s walking around the halls saying he’s losing patience with Ole. What’s left, the equipment manager has been handing out boots a half size too small.
Wouldn't surprise me!
I was interested in that lip read the other week - Phil Jones saying ‘Sacked in the morning’ and Woodward going ‘stop it we’re being filmed (or was it on camera). Possible that Ole’s job is under more pressure than most realise and we dont know

Amerifan

Wouldn't surprise me!
I was interested in that lip read the other week - Phil Jones saying ‘Sacked in the morning’ and Woodward going ‘stop it we’re being filmed (or was it on camera). Possible that Ole’s job is under more pressure than most realise and we dont know
At this point not much would surprise me. I don’t doubt squad unity could be better: nothing like winning to bring people together. Like on here, all the name calling over on the Ole keep or sack thread will evaporate if we hit a win streak.

I would not be surprised to learn that the one putting the most pressure on Ole is Ole. He had to know he wasn’t a world class manager coming in. Yet he took the job because he thought he could help the club. And I’d argue in many ways he has. I fully expect he’ll resign (with payoff) if results don’t improve and a viable alternative is presented.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Tell me something new. It is blindingly obvious that there are deep divisions within the club and squad.
And they have been evident for many years.
What is required is strong leadership. Very strong leadership and full support from the management team.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Wouldn't surprise me!
If he did say that then I have to question why the feck he’s still at this club? Given a new contract while Smalling is loaned??? Weird

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff

Shaw wasn’t invited because he eats all the pies

Lindelof didn’t go because the toilet is upstairs and he doesn’t like leaving the ground

DeGea went but was distracted and dropped his plate

Poor McTominay was like the mother, hoovering up all the crumbs

Lukaku was invited but didn’t go as it was a buffet, he likes everything on his plate

Martial tripped over the doorstep and got injured

Rashford tried to find his way but kept going down blind alleys. He’s still missing

WolfInSharp'sClothing

Supports
Wolves

Lindelof didn’t go because the toilet is upstairs and he doesn’t like leaving the ground

Lukaku was invited but didn’t go as it was a buffet, he likes everything on his plate

Rashford tried to find his way but kept going down blind alleys. He’s still missing
:lol:

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan

Rashford showed up but couldn't finish his meal
Luke Shaw finished it for him.

:lol::lol:

ryansgirl

Ha - some great replies here! Nice to see more humour on the caf.

The story might be a load of cobbler's but there is no doubt United is missing strong characters in the dressing room and leadership on and off the pitch. Eric Cantona used to do his own thing but he would turn up for some nights out with the lads and his presence alone on the pitch was respected.

I think De Gea and Juan Mata as well as Paul Pogba, Marcus Rashford and Jesse Lingard do care about building team camaraderie, don't know about the others as Harry and Aaron are new, the youngest lads are still finding their place, etc. I know times have changed and players don't want to be in each others' pockets but it seems as if it would do the squad the world of good to take a few days for an O and P - orientation and planning retreat - which would also involve recreation.

arthurka

Ole spoke of this when he came here the need to install a sense of unity into this squad.

RamblingRebel

Hitler dead!
Supports
Burnley
Best way for this lot to get a good camaraderie would be to unite against a common for. Bring Roy Keane into the coaching setup for the rest of the season. I'm sure we'd see some big changes in thier attitudes.

Krisbijoy

Best way for this lot to get a good camaraderie would be to unite against a common for. Bring Roy Keane into the coaching setup for the rest of the season. I'm sure we'd see some big changes in thier attitudes.
Yep, let's bring back one of them old lads who knows the united way , oh wait ...

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I just read a report on the espn website where ' A source' said the United squad/first team are lacking in unity. An example of a senior player arranging a dinner but only 5 team-mates turned up was given.

What do you think - exaggeration of a normal situation in which players have too many other things to attend to or a demonstration of why this United team cannot do well as the members simply do not regard themselves as a united core of footballers who want to get this club back to challenging for honours again?

I wouldn't be surprised if the senior player was David de Gea or alternatively Juan Mata. However, it is also up to Ole to be reminding players that success begins off the pitch and if he is not prioritizing team-building then yes, he deserves criticism. Whether we have any proof of all this is another matter. Sir Alex Ferguson wouldn't have been sanguine about team-mates not making an effort in such ways.
If that's true, that's a horribly worrying situation.

My other boys Wycombe have a sensational dressing room spirit, and what you get from that is never feeling beaten, hence us consistently pulling defeats round to draws/wins late on, and players who aren't playing being supportive of those playing.
It makes a big difference.

As we're already a bit sh!t on the pitch, having a bad team spirit just makes the dark even darker.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Who cares? I generally get on with most of my colleagues but I don't want to spend my spare time with them.
Totally different in a team sport though, where you'll be physically battling for each other.

RamblingRebel

Hitler dead!
Supports
Burnley
Yep, let's bring back one of them old lads who knows the united way , oh wait ...
:lol: Nothing to do with being one of those old Utd lads, more a case he wouldn't put up with any of the sh1te they've been serving up for the last few years. I think he'd make a great video analysist coach!

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
:lol: Nothing to do with being one of those old Utd lads, more a case he wouldn't put up with any of the sh1te they've been serving up for the last few years. I think he'd make a great video analysist coach!
Yeah the last time he analysed a video for United it went really well!

Needham

If it was Phil Jones arranging the dinner it could all have gone a bit Derby County. So that's not enough evidence of disunity.

Valuedrug

Can’t say I would be surprised if there was an “every man for himself” vibe going on. The level of sporting ambition at the club seems starkly discrepant to outside expectations, and the players are caught in the middle.

Must be a terrible work environment. At least they have their millions of pounds to keep them company, while they endure the misery of modern day United.

Irwin99

You mean those big group cuddles they had after each goal scored against Chelsea were just for the cameras? :eek:

Waynne

No the club lacks a qualified technical director to oversee the football side of the club.