United to gain the most from winter break?

theklr

I am just wondering - is it fair to say that because of the thin squad, injuries and participation in all the cups, was United one of the teams with the most worn out players?

And therefore, the most to gain and hopefully the most progress to have, after the break is done compared to other teams?

Paul_Scholes18

Yeah we should gain much more than Spurs and Chelsea in theory. Also getting Bruno and Ighalo ready with Pogba and Mctominay back soon. The break gives them more time.
Arsenal and Wolves could gain a lot by it too since they will play iin EL and got many games as well.

Hopefully it can make a big difference. Martial and James can hopefully recover some form.
Fred can always need a rest too, but he has not really looked tired.
Not sure the lack of rest is the problem for Pereira and Lingard, but Ole could maybe spend one day with them to tell them what to do.

Less excuses left for Ole now since this was perfect for him/us. Don't think he had it in his plan though.
Had we played Chelsea this weekend we would have had much worse odds.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I think so, we badly needed a break and it’s come just at the right time. We’re getting key players back, bedding in Bruno and Ighalo and getting a much needed rest all at once.

Walters_19_MuFc

Yeah, guess its worked out pretty well, to be honest. Be good to have near to our full squad back. The thought of Pogba and Bruno lining up together excites me.

Paul_Scholes18

Just my list of team with most to gain and the bottom most to lose.

1 Man United
2 Arsenal
3 Wolves
4 Sheffield United
5 Spurs
6 Chelsea
7 Brighton
8 Bournemouth
9 Aston Villa
10 Newcastle
11 West Ham
12 Watford
13 Crystal Palace
14 Southampton
15 Man City
16 Burnley
17 Everton
18 Norwich
19 Liverpool
20 Leicester

Last edited:

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
We need players back. It's depressing being behind shite like Chelsea and Everton and newly promoted teams like Sheffield Utd. The winter break means we won't drop any points whilst McT, Pogba and Rashford race to get fit.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I’m just happy Fred can go 3 days without playing 90 minutes for a bit.

cyril C

But bottom clubs also get rested, and we tend to drop points to bottom clubs instead of top clubs. All even. And worse, the only real GAIN is McTom, Rashford is nowhere near recovering, Pogba is AWOL as usual. Meanwhile Spurs gets Kane back....

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
It's a shame Ighalo hasn't traveled with the rest of the squad for training that would have been very useful I'd imagine, but he's been stuck in the UK as the club were worried he might have been denied entry coming back due to the Coronavirus

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I just have absolutely no faith in this squad. I fully expect us to come back with new injuries and the injuries we have to be extended.

PieCrust

I don't think it will really matter. The squad is poor and the manager is poor. No amount of time is going to improve that.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Maybe, we lacked numbers and almost everyone was exhausted, at least we didn't play any games with depleted squad.

Hopefully Pogba and McTominay will be back soon so that Fred can get some rest.

CM10

We look slightly better stocked in midfield with the arrival of Bruno and McTominay returning from injury but I don't think it will make a great deal of difference.

Ighalo is another body and might do okay but I still can't help but feel uninspired by our wide players with Rashford unavailable. It's Greenwood, James or one of a selection of players who couldn't play number 10 to a sufficient standard. Not ideal if we're serious about making a push for top 4.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Probably useful in ensuring we don't lose.

Makes feck all of a difference in ensuring we get wins. This team looks uninspired without Pogba and we're so dependant on Rashford for goals that we're screwed as long as he's injured.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Definitely I think. If nothing else, it's less games with a depleted squad.

It's a shame Ighalo hasn't traveled with the rest of the squad for training that would have been very useful I'd imagine, but he's been stuck in the UK as the club were worried he might have been denied entry coming back due to the Coronavirus
Didn't know that. That sucks. Anyone else stay back?

GMoore23

I don't think the winter break is all that helpful for us. With 7 games in 19 days coming up due to the break our first team is going to be shattered again before long.

OleTheGreat

I still don't we have an idea as to how to o about things when Pogba and McT are back. I have a feeling Ole will oust Pogba from the scene just like Jose did because he has other things on his mind but i actually want Pogba to be back in the lineup alongside Bruno because he will be much more lethal with a players as good as Bruno alongside him. With Pogba, Bruno and Fred we might have one of the best midfield trio in the game across Europe. I hope Ole can see this and make him mind up to play 4-3-3. We will look best in this shape.

wolvored

Cant see it making much difference. Yes they have had a weeks rest, but so have all the other clubs. We got to hope Bruno can inspire them

theklr

Cant see it making much difference. Yes they have had a weeks rest, but so have all the other clubs. We got to hope Bruno can inspire them
Well, at least Bruno have gotten some more time to settle in, both personally and teamwise

Flying high

Just my list of team with most to gain and the bottom most to lose.

1 Man United
2 Arsenal
3 Wolves
4 Sheffield United
5 Spurs
6 Chelsea
7 Brighton
8 Bournemouth
9 Aston Villa
10 Newcastle
11 West Ham
12 Watford
13 Crystal Palace
14 Southampton
15 Man City
16 Burnley
17 Everton
18 Norwich
19 Liverpool
20 Leicester

While liverpool obviously have the most to lose, I think along with us, they probably needed the break the most. Klopp was able to push them hard this year knowing that they'd have a break now, hence his reaction to the cup replay.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
Not that i want to be sadistic person, but we usually play crap after a long break. So playing Chelsea away just after the break isnt ideal. But it was important break anyway, as we were looking quite worn out in last few matches.

Paul_Scholes18

While liverpool obviously have the most to lose, I think along with us, they probably needed the break the most. Klopp was able to push them hard this year knowing that they'd have a break now, hence his reaction to the cup replay.
Yeah for CL it might help them. I guess the league is over so it doesn't really effect them either way for good or bad.
Just there is no way they could possibly do better than just win every game.
Leicester should get top 4 either way too.

Might be unfair for Norwich though. I just think they are doomed either way, but a break could possibly help them.
Although think it will help their rivals more. They get rested for Liverpool and I doubt a break will help them to beat Pool.

Paul_Scholes18

Not that i want to be sadistic person, but we usually play crap after a long break. So playing Chelsea away just after the break isnt ideal. But it was important break anyway, as we were looking quite worn out in last few matches.
We did beat Chelsea the last time 4-0 after the summer.
This year we have won over Leicester, drawn with Pool and Sheffield after international break.
Two good performances and one bad.
Overall you could say that we have never lost for Ole after a break. 3 wins, 1 draw and 1 loss.

Based on our post break stats we should beat Chelsea easily.
Although Rashford scored in all those games and was our key player. Thus resting our current lot might not give the same boost.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
We look slightly better stocked in midfield with the arrival of Bruno and McTominay returning from injury but I don't think it will make a great deal of difference.

Ighalo is another body and might do okay but I still can't help but feel uninspired by our wide players with Rashford unavailable. It's Greenwood, James or one of a selection of players who couldn't play number 10 to a sufficient standard. Not ideal if we're serious about making a push for top 4.
You don't like:

.........Ighalo
Martial...Bruno....James
.....Fred......McT

This will be a much improved side especially if Ighalo can score some goals. If he scores very few.....then we are looking at 6th or lower.

Maybe when Pogba comes back he replaces James on the wing. :) That would probably be are strongest lineup.

jackal&hyde

Last season when we got a little break for some extra training a a bit of rest did us a lot of good. I hope to see that again. We need a strong end to the season.

Robertd0803

Depends on the Chelsea result. We lose that and we may as well pack in the league for good this season instead of entertaining some outlandish notion we will get top 4 on current form.

Raw

Depends on the Chelsea result. We lose that and we may as well pack in the league for good this season instead of entertaining some outlandish notion we will get top 4 on current form.
Surely gotta go Europa or bust at that point. Hopefully we get a lucky route to the trophy.

Bestietom

Yes getting players back, and Fernandes and Ighalo bedding in can only help us, but we will need a result against Chelsea to set us off for remaining games.

Nickelodeon

Yes getting players back, and Fernandes and Ighalo bedding in can only help us, but we will need a result against Chelsea to set us off for remaining games.
Ighalo wasn’t there so that’s a shame. But we badly needed a rest. Fred has been playing 90 mins non-stop and was the next injury waiting to happen. Still without Rashford and Pogba, don’t think we can gain quite so much.

Bestietom

Ighalo wasn’t there so that’s a shame. But we badly needed a rest. Fred has been playing 90 mins non-stop and was the next injury waiting to happen. Still without Rashford and Pogba, don’t think we can gain quite so much.
Yes we badly needed a rest, Maguire, Lindelof and AWB also looked out on their feet in some games. Rashford will be missed for his goals, so hope Ighalo can chip in with a few. I'm sure Fernandes can supply and score some too.

DevilRed

I just want to see our full team out there for a few matches on the trot. Is that so much to ask?

This year has been a nightmare in terms of the injury front. Everytime we get people back we lose someone else. Usually key players too.

romufc

I just want to see our full team out there for a few matches on the trot. Is that so much to ask?

This year has been a nightmare in terms of the injury front. Everytime we get people back we lose someone else. Usually key players too.
Exaclty, even if its 10 games. We need to get some consistency going.

It's always a key player getting injured for a long time as well.

Chipper

Adulterer.
I don't know about now, but a few weeks back Bournemouth and Newcastle had a ton of injuries didn't they? I imagine they'd be up there out of teams benefiting from the break.

Klopp's obviously been banging on about tiredness for his players for ages, mind you they're so far gone that it doesn't really matter.

Anyway, lets hope it's done us a lot of good!