United to introduce a wage structure capped at 200k per week

Get In Scholesy

Interesting. I like this within the current squad. But will this play impact on attracting players in the future? Perhaps losing out because another team pays more?

Not that I want players coming here for money. I actually like this move. It would work even better if we begin putting in place proper football structure and strategies within the club. A welcome move.

With all that being said.. the money in football is absurd

Sviken

This has been a long time coming. Way too many prima donnas leeching off the club and giving no fecks just because they already got the fat contracts.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Yep, and have a shit ton of bonuses for goals, clean sheets etc. Play better, make more money.

TsuWave

Pay structure will likely be heavily reliant on bonuses moving forward, which is fine

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Yeah definitely a smart move, but will always result in some unhappy players and missing out on some others. No good decision doesn't have some fall out for some others, even if it benefits the owners ultimately as well.

Daengophile

Interesting. I like this within the current squad. But will this play impact on attracting players in the future? Perhaps losing out because another team pays more?

Not that I want players coming here for money. I actually like this move. It would work even better if we begin putting in place proper football structure and strategies within the club. A welcome move.

With all that being said.. the money in football is absurd
I would hope that this just rules out the prima donnas

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Great idea - should be implemented with other clubs.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I think it's just a basic wage, players will get lot of bonuses like game bonus, image rights, loyalty bonus which will make it a good wage.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
This would have been the right move 5 years ago.

Now top clubs are paying crazy salaries and one of our main advantages of being big would disappear. We don't have the climate of Spain/Italy or the guaranteed league titles of Bayern/PSG, so we're shooting ourselves in the foot a bit here.

And in general, I disagree with everyone being paid the same - this is competitive sports, not a corporate pay scale department. Our problem has not been so much paying too much in the past as it was paying it to the wrong people (Sanchez was the worst one).

I guess having bonus-dependant wages would also help and it certainly is in line with the Dutch philosophy where society is a lot more equal pay-wise and even CEOs' salaries are not as excessive.

Bondi77

It will be interesting when Rashford comes off contract if he keeps up his current form.

Pronewbie

Peep
We don't have the sophistry to run the club like Real Madrid. This is us going back to our northern, grafter roots and I'm all for it. It is what attracted me to the club in the 1st place.

ExoduS

Hope this works. Man, when I see these salaries and realize that footballers make 4x a week than I make in a year. It really solves my occasional feeling that I might be making too much.

pav1790

I'd like to think we would make an exception if someone like Mbappe became available. If not, it's just stupid and restrictive.
I think we are saying that we categorically don’t want an mbappe with this announcement. I see it positively. Big clubs need to clamp down on fees so football remains vibrant.

Remember the geese

I think we are saying that we categorically don’t want an mbappe with this announcement. I see it positively. Big clubs need to clamp down on fees so football remains vibrant.
We shouldn't be ruling ourselves out of signing Mbappe if the opportunity presented itself.

Shez

Hope this works. Man, when I see these salaries and realize that footballers make 4x a week than I make in a year. It really solves my occasional feeling that I might be making too much.
I wish I was making 1/4th of Ronaldo. Was seeing it in the CEO thread as well - 10B per year to musk - the world economy is broken

Cloud7

Good. Our wages have been out of control for a long time now. We pay more to players than most other comparable clubs do, and in turn when our players underperform it makes it more difficult to get rid of them.

pav1790

We shouldn't be ruling ourselves out of signing Mbappe if the opportunity presented itself.
That’s a matter of discussion. But don’t you agree with my assessment of what a strict wage structure implies? It won’t work if it’s not strict. And if it’s not to work, no point having it.

BarryWinks

Long time coming. I always hated how much we paid for our players. One thing signing the likes of Casemiro and Varane and offering them better terms to leave their better teams. Giving players from less prestigious clubs/leagues 3/4x what they were earning should never be acceptable. The appeal of this club should be enough to get us favorable terms. Cap salaries at 2X current for players coming from Clubs outside the top 5, especially when their club's isn't a big one.

ExoduS

I wish I was making 1/4th of Ronaldo. Was seeing it in the CEO thread as well - 10B per year to musk - the world economy is broken
I am comparing myself to the proposed "cap". I am far from Ronaldo. It is depressing. He probably makes more per hour than I make per year.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
It can't be legit, I don't think it's the best idea to be honest.

We should pay those very few outstanding players that are above all others what they're worth or we'll be in the risk of missing out on generational talent.

Let's say somehow Mbappe became available, I doubt he'd come here for that amount.

manutddjw

I think it should be a preferred rule, but obviously if we have to outbid another club for a top player it should be broken.

My take on it is that if we can bring someone in that will help us win trophies, if a player gets upset that the one coming in is making more, I don’t want them here. I use Van Persie as an example. Sir Alex asked players their thoughts on bringing him in and unanimously they were happy we were bringing him in. It wasn’t a question about wages as I believe he came in and was one of the highest earners.

cyril C

Just BS talk to me. If 200K is just the cap on basic wage, what about all those guaranteed bonus, such as image right, sign up bonus being paid in installment, 40m fee to agent probably end up in player's pocket. What if Mbappe available for free, would you offer him 200K basic, 100K image, 200K sign up, and still call it a steal?

At the end of the day, dressing room jealousy is about performance. Had CR been 10 years younger and banging in goals every game, who would be jealous of him, as if anyone jealous of Messi (back in Barca) or Mbappe. Players will be jealous of Sancho, Maguire, and a smaller extent Martial last season.

MDFC Manager

If this is true, I'd speculate that we're not getting sold to middle east oil states.

Remember the geese

That’s a matter of discussion. But don’t you agree with my assessment of what a strict wage structure implies? It won’t work if it’s not strict. And if it’s not to work, no point having it.
As a general rule, I agree with it. However, we should be flexible. We can't be in the habit of letting our rivals hoover up generational stars due to some principle that we have decided to hamstring ourselves with.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Just BS talk to me. If 200K is just the cap on basic wage, what about all those guaranteed bonus, such as image right, sign up bonus being paid in installment, 40m fee to agent probably end up in player's pocket. What if Mbappe available for free, would you offer him 200K basic, 100K image, 200K sign up, and still call it a steal?

At the end of the day, dressing room jealousy is about performance. Had CR been 10 years younger and banging in goals every game, who would be jealous of him, as if anyone jealous of Messi (back in Barca) or Mbappe. Players will be jealous of Sancho, Maguire, and a smaller extent Martial last season.
Exactly.

Say Rashford continues to have s a tremendous season and we tell him £200k or leave. He'll be off to PSG before Messi's finished his farewell tour. Everyone knows it too.

TsuWave

We don't have the sophistry to run the club like Real Madrid. This is us going back to our northern, grafter roots and I'm all for it. It is what attracted me to the club in the 1st place.
We'll still be paying top dollar. I hope people don't think that this reported £200K will be max wage at United.

InfiniteBoredom

There are all sorts of creative accounting that can be done to pay people on the side nowadays. Isn’t KdB supposedly on 200k/wk at City as well?

I think this idea is fine. If we sign a Mbappe, obviously his image rights and ‘achievable’ performance bonuses will make a substantially bigger package.

Mr Smith

Great news in theory, but I do think this could cause some problems; we've seen this backfire at clubs like Arsenal and Spurs where top players have left because the club didn't want to break their wage structure. I'm all for measures to make us more sustainable, but hard limits can often backfire.

Yakuza_devils

I would have thought let the new owners come in and make the decision with their board on such an important thing?

There must be exception for special cases to attract world class players if the new owners want to make Man Utd the best in the world. The new owners may want to to invest more money into the club. To be frank, at today's market 200k is not too high for a world class player. To me, 200K bring us to the level of Arsenal and maybe Spurs. Pretty sure City and Chelsea don't even bother.

Last edited:

Pintu

Long time coming. I always hated how much we paid for our players. One thing signing the likes of Casemiro and Varane and offering them better terms to leave their better teams. Giving players from less prestigious clubs/leagues 3/4x what they were earning should never be acceptable. The appeal of this club should be enough to get us favorable terms. Cap salaries at 2X current for players coming from Clubs outside the top 5, especially when their club's isn't a big one.
This can't work... The good players coming from Portugal and the Netherlands generally get 4/5 times their previous earning, for the simple reason that almost every club in the PL and many clubs in other countries can afford to double and triple their current earnings. We would not be able to sign Lisandro or Antony with your model. As simple as that. A hard cap like the 200k (with exceptions for the real superstars) seems more legit.

Mas Risky

Good idea if it is only for the base wage. Go crazy for the performance related bonuses and image right.

Last edited: